What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (2 Viewers)

Courtland Sutton (ribs) was held out of Thursday's practice.

Sutton wasn't listed on the Broncos' first injury report of the week, so he was injured either late Wednesday or early Thursday. NBC Denver's Mike Klis reports Sutton has "sore ribs." That would sound like an issue he could play through, but Friday's practice status will be key. Emmanuel Sanders has surprisingly emerged as the Broncos' top fantasy wideout, though Sutton is certainly WR4 viable.

SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter

Sep 19, 2019, 4:10 PM ET

Courtland Sutton (ribs) will suit up for the Broncos' Week 3 matchup against the Packers.

Sutton didn't practice Thursday, but got in a session on Friday and wasn't listed on the team's final injury report. He's expected to continue to work as the offense's No. 2 pass-game target behind Emmanuel Sanders. Still, this is a sneaky-tough spot against a vastly-improved Packers defense that has allowed a combined 19 points and 431 passing yards through two weeks. Sutton is best approached as a middling flex option.

SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter.

Sep 20, 2019, 3:15 PM ET

This is going to be a make or break week for me and Sutton, I won't lie boys and girls.

With all the good news out of camp, and Sanders not being the healthiest, had big expectations he would break out with Flacco at helm -- Flacco isn't spectacular, but he can utilize decent WRs.

With Tyreek going out in week 1, I've gone way long on WRs to cover. To the point where I'm thinner than I want to be with RBs.

If Courtland shows some signs of life, I'll stick with him as an upside matchup flex. Sanders looks clearly looks like the better "have" on this offense, but he still isn't the healthiest. In fact, he went from limited practice to full practice back to limited practice yesterday. As such, Courtland has upside just from Sanders potentially continuing to ail.

The other side of the coin is Sutton is dinged himself. While he had a full practice Friday, no telling how healthy his ribs really are. And Flacco and this offense have not really sparked.

If Sutton has a limited day, may just shed him for depth in favor of more upside guys.

Do we still think Sutton could have more long term value than younger upside guys like Metcalf or Chark, or even a guy like Tate who might be valuable in PPR?

GB has a pretty decent secondary. I don't think this is a good matchup for him. I'm not making any judgements based on this game.

what are your options in the ww?
Building depth at RB, I think I have enough speculative upside PPR WRs (Tyreek, Golladay, Chark, Tate, Metcalf).

Looking for a preemptive strike on Ty Johnson, maybe Rec Burkhead for long term use (not week 3 despite his bump with White out), etc.

I’m really asking the impossible - a future prediction on long term value of Sutton relative to these other WRs and upside depth flex RBs.

Building depth at RB, I think I have enough speculative upside PPR WRs (Tyreek, Golladay, Chark, Tate, Metcalf).

Looking for a preemptive strike on Ty Johnson, maybe Rec Burkhead for long term use (not week 3 despite his bump with White out), etc.

I’m really asking the impossible - a future prediction on long term value of Sutton relative to these other WRs and upside depth flex RBs.
I'd have Sutton ahead of tate and Metcalf. ahead of burkhead and ty. 

If Ty is a FA, I'd grab him now...

Appreciate the insight, been following everything you've been saying in Ty's thread. Classic damned if I do, damned if I don't. My feeling is that Tate may be the lowest ranked on my personal totem pole, but would be great to see what Jones does today as a further gauge. In PPR, Tate can be a monster.

But if I drop him, I definitely won't have a shot to get him back as that's how Yahoo rolls - Tate returns in Week 5, and can see Tate being a commodity to other owners.

Gambles galore in this hobby, it's why I love it.

Appreciate the insight, been following everything you've been saying in Ty's thread. Classic damned if I do, damned if I don't. My feeling is that Tate may be the lowest ranked on my personal totem pole, but would be great to see what Jones does today as a further gauge. In PPR, Tate can be a monster.

But if I drop him, I definitely won't have a shot to get him back as that's how Yahoo rolls - Tate returns in Week 5, and can see Tate being a commodity to other owners.

Gambles galore in this hobby, it's why I love it.
I'm higher on Sutton in general. Tough call. I've certainly lost some of those gambles in the past

Courtland Sutton caught 5-of-8 targets for 87 yards in the Broncos' Week 3 loss to the Packers.

Sutton easily out-paced Emmanuel Sanders (2-10-0) in this one despite playing through a rib injury. Sutton was Flacco's favorite target, largely because of his size advantage in a game where the Packers were playing tight coverage on the outside. The Broncos' offense can get really stagnant at times, so Sutton will be prone to boom-or-bust weeks for as long as Flacco is his quarterback. Next week, Sutton will face a Jaguars' secondary that may still have Jalen Ramsey.

Sep 22, 2019, 5:00 PM ET

:(

Not to hijack thread, but thought we'd see more of Ty mixed in overall.

May be a gamble that won't pay off unless Kerryon gets dinged.

I kept Sutton, and looked like he had a solid day, so for now, seems like a hold. We may see a see-saw between him and Sanders as to who gets the looks. This offense with Flacco seems so unpredictable as it is.

I’m not prepared to start him in bad matchups but have been impressed with the development as a dyno owner and am happy to roll him out there in good ones. Which is better than I could say for him last year.

It was a rough schedule to start the season and I feel like he’s done a respectable job thus far. I will start him against the jags if Ramsey isn’t playing; otherwise he waits another week

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not prepared to start him in bad matchups but have been impressed with the development as a dyno owner and am happy to roll him out there in good ones. Which is better than I could say for him last year.

It was a rough schedule to start the season and I feel like he’s done a respectable job thus far. I will start him against the jags if Ramsey isn’t playing; otherwise he waits another week
Well said. Very encouraged by his showings and feel good about him dynasty. Flacco, despite all his flaws and detractors, has been good for Sutton. Sutton just needs a chance to make plays and Flacco has done his part. Too bad he just had a toe out on that TD catch. 

Like you I only plan to start him in favorable matchups. Cant wait for the Chiefs matchups. 

Yeah I just bought a share in my dyno. He'll be the clear #1 by the end of the season I think. Excited to see what we have here.

It's far from s surprise Sanders is the top Broncos wr yet again. I targeted him in every league 
While I loosely targeted both when they presented value... trying to figure out how 3 extra catches/targets is better then the 5 more yards per catch through those same games. The TDs are too fickle (Sanders 1-yard and 7-yard tds help him a ton currently) especially when they both had 4 last year and the target/catches/yards were trending the same last year as they are now.

While I loosely targeted both when they presented value... trying to figure out how 3 extra catches/targets is better then the 5 more yards per catch through those same games. The TDs are too fickle (Sanders 1-yard and 7-yard tds help him a ton currently) especially when they both had 4 last year and the target/catches/yards were trending the same last year as they are now.
Sadly, I've already traded Sanders. Lol

anyone starting with confidence this week?
Deciding to sit him -- Sutton has a tough matchup, and didn't fare well against CHI who has a solid secondary. He did quite well against GB who came into the game with PHI as a better backfield unit, which gave me pause.

The deciding factor is that Sutton will get 7 or 8 targets, but this year he's converted them for anywhere between 4-7 catches with 40-120 yards. 

The variance is wide here so going with a WR with potentially more solid floor/easier match up.

This guy looks like a WR1 waiting to happen.  He isnt a burner, but he fills that measurables graph (linked) out pretty well.  Great size and strength and what looks like elite agility for a guy as big as he is.  He is a QB away from potential greatness.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/courtland-sutton
I was watching a highlight reel from last year of him. Dude has fantastic reach. Makes catches with full arm extension look easy.

This is going to be a make or break week for me and Sutton, I won't lie boys and girls.

With all the good news out of camp, and Sanders not being the healthiest, had big expectations he would break out with Flacco at helm -- Flacco isn't spectacular, but he can utilize decent WRs.

With Tyreek going out in week 1, I've gone way long on WRs to cover. To the point where I'm thinner than I want to be with RBs.

If Courtland shows some signs of life, I'll stick with him as an upside matchup flex. Sanders looks clearly looks like the better "have" on this offense, but he still isn't the healthiest. In fact, he went from limited practice to full practice back to limited practice yesterday. As such, Courtland has upside just from Sanders potentially continuing to ail.

The other side of the coin is Sutton is dinged himself. While he had a full practice Friday, no telling how healthy his ribs really are. And Flacco and this offense have not really sparked.

If Sutton has a limited day, may just shed him for depth in favor of more upside guys.

Do we still think Sutton could have more long term value than younger upside guys like Metcalf or Chark, or even a guy like Tate who might be valuable in PPR?
You'll regret dropping Sutton imo. His schedule lightens up and he's Denver's #1 imo. 

well Ramsey is Iffy and you cannot deny the Power of MINSHEW...….The Denver d hasn't done anything all year, their new coach is in over his head
You're right. I'm giving Denver too much credit based on their previous years defensive performances. I still would start Robinson over Sutton though. 

Sutton seems like a safe 10 pt play and Robinson the more "boom or bust" candidate. I'm a boom or bust-er type fantasy player. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to be a low scoring game and Ramsey may still play. Even if he doesn't, JAX secondary is still strong.

Also, there are weather concerns. I'd be benching Sutton.

JAC @ DEN - 

Still looking like a windy day in Denver. On the low-end we are looking at a 15-20mph sustained wind with wind gusts around 30mph. On the higher end I've seen models calling for 20mph+ sustained and wind gusts close to 40... either way it will be impactful, but if we end up on that high end it's basically a full fade to the passing/kicking game. I'll keep it updated, as always.

I benched him yesteray for R Jones,. Reading the weather confirms where the floors lie.

Sutton time is a coming, but not quite yet...

Sutton with a solid game. I had him in my lineup over Metcalf for a a few seconds as my team was pacing towards being ahead and made sense to go with a potential higher floor in Sutton than a higher ceiling I saw in Metcalf against a porous ARI pass D.

Stuck with Metcalf, and now expecting to lose by 5+ points.

Can't win 'em all, but this all goes to say that Sutton has proven himself as a useful fantasy player in this offense and should at least be considered a flex any given week.

Guy has definitely convinced me. 

Courtland Sutton caught 6-of-9 targets for 62 yards and two touchdowns in the Broncos' Week 4 loss to the Jaguars.

Sutton's first score was on a seven-yard slant against Tre Herndon, who the Broncos attacked all game with Jalen Ramsey (back) sidelined. Sutton then scored the game's go-ahead touchdown with just 92 seconds remaining, again beating his defender to the inside before securing the red-zone target from Joe Flacco. The second-year WR has flashed high-level contested-catch ability, but he’s best treated as a boom-or-bust WR3 in the Broncos’ low-scoring offense. He could benefit in Week 5 from less attention than usual if the Chargers decide to have Casey Hayward shadow Emmanuel Sanders.

Sep 29, 2019, 8:08 PM ET

He’s played Oakland, Jax, GB and Chi and averaged 5/70 or so.   Granted Jax w/out Ramsey but that’s still a tough 4 games.

Arrow pointing up for sure.

Seeing a lot of clutch catches from Sutton has he had any drops in critical moments?
Waldman had a whole piece on how he claps his hands before catching the ball and holds his hands too far apart. That said, he’s been pretty reliable catching the ball, aside from one drop last week. He’s definitely an ascending player and one I’d be reluctant to deal. 

Users who are viewing this thread