What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark - Netflix series (2 Viewers)

Cranks, that scene in episode 3 was awesome, very moving.  Made me go find the song.  Agnes Obel is the artiest.  Familiar is that song.  She has a few others I like (Riverside, Parliament of Owls, Roscian, The Curse, Falling Catching)...great way to find an artist to add to your playlist.
Indeed.  There was a point when I listened to that song on loop almost a dozen times. Like you, I would have never heard of her otherwise.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked this series. Thought it should've been better, but liked it enough. Season 3 was kind of a slog for me. I had a hard time figuring out the different timelines.

Thanks for the tag. The thread seems to have jumped right to spoilers after season 1 so I'll follow after I finish it. Enjoying it so far thanks to recap websites help. I have 1 more in S1 left.
Something I've enjoyed with Dark is the Almost Cancelled podcast.  They record after each episode they watch, so they know nothing about future reveals.  They speculate and notice connections just like normal fans, not like everyone collaborating on Reddit.  I've been slowly working my way through the series (really love it, but it's dense and has taken me a while) and listen to their podcast episode after each one I watch.

https://netflix-mild-fuzz-tv.pinecast.co/episode/d9adb9bfbef642b3/dark-1x01-secrets-

Something I've enjoyed with Dark is the Almost Cancelled podcast.  They record after each episode they watch, so they know nothing about future reveals.  They speculate and notice connections just like normal fans, not like everyone collaborating on Reddit.  I've been slowly working my way through the series (really love it, but it's dense and has taken me a while) and listen to their podcast episode after each one I watch.

https://netflix-mild-fuzz-tv.pinecast.co/episode/d9adb9bfbef642b3/dark-1x01-secrets-
Cool...I'll check it out...thx!

Finished Season 1 and really liked it, even with the crazy cliffhanger. Once you realize that Jonah and the Stranger are the same person, which seemed likely even before the big reveal, I figured they would eventually jump to the future. They seemed to know who Jonah was right away or at least that he was from the past. I guess everyone that was around in 2019 is dead?  Crazy.

A few questions that I'm guessing will be answered soon enough:

Who is Regina's father? Since Claudia seemed to have something going on with Tronta, he seems likely.

Who is Peter's mother? Helge seems to have been pretty broken so it's tough to think of who would be with him. Maybe Peter isn't Helge's son?

Who are Katharina's parents. The mom gave her a black eye, or so we think. Not sure if it matters but they all seem connected so I guess it does.

How did Noah get the watch that Charlotte's daughter gave her? Obviously involves the clock maker. Hmmm, for that matter Charlotte's parents aren't seen yet either.

What's up with the cop with the bandaged eye? That will obviously be a story line eventually.

I don't usually make too many predictions especially with a show this complex and crazy. Looking forward to starting S2. My wife said she's done after the S1 finale...lol I tried keeping her up to speed on who is who but she usually doesn't like shows that require work. I, on the other hand, fall asleep on some nights thinking about the show and trying to put the pieces together.

S2: E2 & E3

Watched 2 episodes back to back. That's too much info to take in! I never binge watch but I can't imagine this being a good show to binge if you want to keep up with what's going on.

Something that really got me thinking was when the clockmaker thought of himself as a fraud since he was handed his own book and now feels like he didn't write it. But he had to have written it the first time through so I started thinking about what that might have been like and what would be different. Helge wouldn't have been so damaged without Ulrich bashing his face in, although his Mom seems pretty wacky (and is really hot, imo) Maybe he would have been married and had Peter as a son. Adam seems like someone that survived the original nuclear disaster. I was thinking he might be either Alexander, although he would be very old, or Bartoz, which explains Noah's interest in him. And the girl in the future seems to be in love with Jonah, although she did ask why the deaf girl let him live. Not sure what's up there. And they haven't shown 80's Ulrich in a while who is living at the same time as old Ulrich who is in the psycho ward. I would think old Egon would want to talk with teen Ulrich now. 

I like that now that I have the characters somewhat straight, I don't need to read recaps as much and worry about spoilers. I can let the show unfold and think about what I just watched after. I can't believe how much show s still left! It must really get even more twisted. 

Finished Season 1 and really liked it, even with the crazy cliffhanger. Once you realize that Jonah and the Stranger are the same person, which seemed likely even before the big reveal, I figured they would eventually jump to the future. They seemed to know who Jonah was right away or at least that he was from the past. I guess everyone that was around in 2019 is dead?  Crazy.

Who is Regina's father? Since Claudia seemed to have something going on with Tronta, he seems likely.

Who is Peter's mother? Helge seems to have been pretty broken so it's tough to think of who would be with him. Maybe Peter isn't Helge's son?

Who are Katharina's parents. The mom gave her a black eye, or so we think. Not sure if it matters but they all seem connected so I guess it does.

How did Noah get the watch that Charlotte's daughter gave her? Obviously involves the clock maker. Hmmm, for that matter Charlotte's parents aren't seen yet either.

What's up with the cop with the bandaged eye? That will obviously be a story line eventually.

I don't usually make too many predictions especially with a show this complex and crazy. Looking forward to starting S2. My wife said she's done after the S1 finale...lol I tried keeping her up to speed on who is who but she usually doesn't like shows that require work. I, on the other hand, fall asleep on some nights thinking about the show and trying to put the pieces together.
Please come back and comment on your thoughts on each of these when you finish the series.

Please come back and comment on your thoughts on each of these when you finish the series.
I'm guessing they're all wrong. :D

I'll probably update as I go along. Should be amusing for those who finished since I'm sure I'll be way off on everything. With so many episodes remaining, I can't even imagine where it will go.

Hmmm, just thinking back to Noah sending Helge back and he was in a full body machine as opposed to the face one that seems to have burned the other kids eyes. But that was in the same time frame. I guess a kind of multiverse would explain how the show could go almost 2 seasons more. Are there multiple versions of each loop?

Kind of ironic that I'd like to go back and watch some previous episodes to explore that thought but want to move forward. 

btw - I had that Kreator album. I wasn't a huge fan but I do think it's interesting that they really were ahead of their time as far as thrash went. One of the underrated originators of death metal.

Adam seems like someone that survived the original nuclear disaster. I was thinking he might be either Alexander, although he would be very old, or Bartoz, which explains Noah's interest in him.
E4:

so much for this guess.  :D

Hmmm, for that matter Charlotte's parents aren't seen yet either.
lol
:goodposting:

Just finished S2, E6 :mindblown: 

I'm gonna need to take a few days to absorb this, probably go back before going forward...lol But I'm really dying to keep going. Like I said in a previous post, I tried starting from the beginning in my mind, usually when I went to bed, and would take each character and try to timeline them. Now it's impossible. Instead of a linear timeline, it's now like from the inside out and I can't figure out where the beginning is. As usual, I'm probably way off but each loop seems to improve (if that's the right word) on the last. Time travel has advanced from the tunnels to the strapped in machine, face one to full body one, to the suitcase machine to the God Particle. The lights don't flicker anymore and birds aren't falling from the sky either. I still don't know why old Egon isn't looking to talk with teen Ulrich. I had a thought that Adam might be Mikkel/Michael because of his neck scar and not Jonah, but he seems to be pining for Martha so probably not. I'm not even going to try and figure out who Charlotte's mother is yet. Incest between Noah and his sister? I don't know. Too many other things to think about. Great scene between Noah and Charlotte though. Very intense.

My brain hurts.

Time to check out some recaps.

eta: I thought there were 10 episodes like last season. I think I'll just finish off the last 2 episodes and see where we are.

Is there a good recap/synopsis/family tree for prior to watching Season 3?  I forget a  LOT.
Be careful of looking for one online. 

There's a good one out there that includes a page for each character but it includes all the information for the entire show so I spoiled myself by looking.  I didn't find one that only went by the information revealed through each season / episode.

Vegas Trip said:
Oh, just wait.

Please keep posting, reminds me of my questions when I watched the series.
This would have been a great weekly show on HBO, like Westworld, to generate a lot of discussion and speculation.

jamny said:
:goodposting:

Just finished S2, E6 :mindblown: 

I'm gonna need to take a few days to absorb this, probably go back before going forward...lol But I'm really dying to keep going. Like I said in a previous post, I tried starting from the beginning in my mind, usually when I went to bed, and would take each character and try to timeline them. Now it's impossible. Instead of a linear timeline, it's now like from the inside out and I can't figure out where the beginning is.
Don't worry, it starts getting really clear soon.  It'll all click and you'll have no trouble making a framework to fit new information into.

Vegas Trip said:
Be careful of looking for one online. 

There's a good one out there that includes a page for each character but it includes all the information for the entire show so I spoiled myself by looking.  I didn't find one that only went by the information revealed through each season / episode.
Best wiki I ever saw was for Game of Thrones, where you could go to your profile, click which books and seasons you had watched, and it would filter out all spoilers.  I wish every wiki did that.

https://towerofthehand.com/my/?commit=scope

Finally finished it. A great show and lots to think about. 

One thing that was truly great was the soundtrack. Some amazing songs/artists I would never know of without it. 

Finally finished it. A great show and lots to think about. 

One thing that was truly great was the soundtrack. Some amazing songs/artists I would never know of without it. 
Is there a Spotify playlist or anything?

Finished Season 2 and flipped through both seasons again before going into Season 3 Looks like it's some sort of multi-verse, which hopefully will give some sort of explanation on how Elizabeth is both Charlotte's daughter and mother. You really need to finish S2 to make sense of S1. Knowing that Peter and Tronte were aware of things so early changes a lot of what you think they're reacting to. Not sure where Tronte has been and who his father was seems relevant. And Regina seems more important than first expected. Really looking forward to S3. 

Funny how almost none of these, except for Charlotte's parents, have been answered.

Plenty of other questions now obviously but a very weird one is Jonas fixating on a couple of things. One was a street light pole with the power plant in the background and another time at a wooden floor, I think in Hannah's house. Maybe nothing but they sure held the shot for a while.

Just read that the creators were inspired by the Nordic Noir genre. I'd never heard that term but it makes sense. The show is probably more about mood than plot.

Nordic noir, also known as Scandinavian noir, is a genre of crime fiction usually written from a police point of view and set in Scandinavia or Nordic countries. Plain language avoiding metaphor and set in bleak landscapes results in a dark and morally complex mood, depicting a tension between the apparently still and bland social surface and the murder, misogyny, rape, and racism it depicts as lying underneath.

I finally finished. Are there any good summaries of what the hell happened? I get the resolution, but not how Claudia figured it out... or why certain characters were or weren’t in the final scene.

I finally finished. Are there any good summaries of what the hell happened? I get the resolution, but not how Claudia figured it out... or why certain characters were or weren’t in the final scene.
This series confused the hell out of me, but I miss it.

Agnes Obel rocks.

Dark S3 explained

The short answer to the last part is...because the time loophole was closed, they never got the chance to exist.

<spoiler>Yup, I was forgetting a scene where Unknown becomes a father, which ripples through the family trees. Thanks for the link. This show was tremendous, I might watch it again.</spoiler&gt
;

If someone will remind me how to use spoiler tags, I'll fix this.

Last edited:
i started the series because of the glowing reviews in this thread and finally finished the series this week
i didnt have a clue in episode 1.1 and by the end i was still clueless , i kept wondering to myself , why i even bother to finish it 
Im glad its over and will find the next series to start 

i started the series because of the glowing reviews in this thread and finally finished the series this week
i didnt have a clue in episode 1.1 and by the end i was still clueless , i kept wondering to myself , why i even bother to finish it 
Im glad its over and will find the next series to start 
I stopped somewhere midway through the first season.  Just too much energy to figure out what the hell was going on.

fred_1_15301 said:
I stopped somewhere midway through the first season.  Just too much energy to figure out what the hell was going on.
i thought i would be able to figure it out at some point , i did get better at it but still most of it went over my head and just wasted my free time 

Yeah, it did take some work to keep characters straight and keep up with what was going on, but I kind of like that - I'm the kind of weirdo who prints off a map of a fantasy world to refer to when listening to the audiobook.

For me, not everything needs to be "figured out". Sometimes it's enough to just feel the story.

And that's the way it was with Dark - I understood enough to get why and what the characters were feeling.

For me, not everything needs to be "figured out". Sometimes it's enough to just feel the story.

And that's the way it was with Dark - I understood enough to get why and what the characters were feeling.
Same.  There's no way in hell I could explain to someone else what happened, but I really enjoyed it.

I watched seasons 1 and 2 and think I liked it?  So confusing and harder due to the german I think. Season 3 worth it?
This is where I'm currently at. Finished seasons 1 and 2 a few months back but got exhausted trying to follow it all. Then my wife and I started in on Handmaid's Tale. 

I was to finish it but I borderline need to set out like two hours to re-learn the storyline again. 

I took a break from the show and finally got around to finishing the series over the past few weeks. Loved it! I got a little frustrated at one point in Season 3 because I spent so much time during the first 2 seasons to keep track with what was going on and midway through S3, I was totally lost. But once you just let go and roll with it and not try to follow every timeline, it was much more enjoyable and made the excellent finale even better. No sense trying to find plot holes or inconsistencies. I didn't think they'd be able to end it in a satisfactory way but they did a great job of wrapping it up and ending it in an actual heartwarming way. Maybe a little corny in execution at times but still well done. 

I might actually skim through the first 2 seasons and watch season 3 again.

This is pretty cool: DARK Time Machine Timeline Explained

I'll probably go back and watch the first 2 seasons again and pretend Season 3 doesn't exist except for the last episode.  
The ending wouldn't make much sense without the S3 episodes leading up to it.

eta: now that I think of it, if you never watch the last episode, the series would never end...lol

So I went back and skimmed through the first 2 seasons, since I watched them twice already, and watched S3 again. With a little help from the Dark reddit sub and wiki, I managed to be able to follow pretty much everything that went on. It's really impressive that everything is actually explainable and there aren't any glaring mistakes in the insane timelines. Some incredible work went into the writing. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to film and edit with all the jumping around. Just an all around great show.

The way they handled this was fantastic. I was yelling the screen when he starts talking about it (end of S3) and they get distracted.

:lmao: so perfect

eta, just got to your post upthread about it...lol

I just watched the movie Predestination - Dark viewers might enjoy going back down the path.

Users who are viewing this thread