What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 NASCAR Thread (4 Viewers)

Wife and I have been keeping up and biting our nails. She doesn’t even watch racing but saw the crash with me. T&P for Newman as he works through this. Glad we got some good news though. Agree with those saying it reminded them of Earnhardt. I was really worried when they brought out the screens. 

Phew.. so happy to hear he's alive. 

When they brought out the screens and had the media clear put lane. I definitely feared the worst.

In slo-mo that car looked closer to being in liquid form than solid.  Just wild the amount of force withstood in the crash.  Very glad he survived, though pessimist in me worries lack of any injury description means prognosis for career after this might not be too positive

In slo-mo that car looked closer to being in liquid form than solid.  Just wild the amount of force withstood in the crash.  Very glad he survived, though pessimist in me worries lack of any injury description means prognosis for career after this might not be too positive
Regardless of injuries, after a crash like that (and being later in your career), I'd consider retirement...I've always read a big part of being a successful racer is being somewhat fearless - I feel like a crash like that has to put the fear in someone and make them feel much more mortal, which has to have an impact on the track.  

Was thinking this same thing right after I heard he had survived. Hopefully he does retire. He’s been successful. He has two little girls that need a daddy now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Props to the engineers who designed those cars.  People aren't supposed to survive being T boned in the drivers side door at 200 mph.  Amazing work on those cars.  More importantly T&P to Ryan Newman for a speedy recovery.

Props to the engineers who designed those cars.  People aren't supposed to survive being T boned in the drivers side door at 200 mph.  Amazing work on those cars.  More importantly T&P to Ryan Newman for a speedy recovery.
The part that had me the most worried is that he wasn't actually hit on the driver's side door...it was more the driver's side window/roof.  Take a look at THIS schematic of a NASCAR roll cage - Notice the side impact protection by the doors consists of 4 horizontal tubes, and the anti-intrusion plate.  The roof area where he was hit has one single bar.  I was really afraid that he basically bore the brunt of that impact directly onto his body with very little absorption from the frame...and honestly most of it would be to his head.  Adding to it, the HANS device wouldn't have allowed his head to move much to deflect out of the way. 

I agree these cars are amazingly safe...but I think Newman had a lot of luck on his side assuming he pulls  through his.  There are a lot of scenarios where he doesn't survive the initial impact.  Even with all the structural safety, these cars aren't designed to take impacts while upside down.

The part that had me the most worried is that he wasn't actually hit on the driver's side door...it was more the driver's side window/roof.  Take a look at THIS schematic of a NASCAR roll cage - Notice the side impact protection by the doors consists of 4 horizontal tubes, and the anti-intrusion plate.  The roof area where he was hit has one single bar.  I was really afraid that he basically bore the brunt of that impact directly onto his body with very little absorption from the frame...and honestly most of it would be to his head.  Adding to it, the HANS device wouldn't have allowed his head to move much to deflect out of the way. 

I agree these cars are amazingly safe...but I think Newman had a lot of luck on his side assuming he pulls  through his.  There are a lot of scenarios where he doesn't survive the initial impact.  Even with all the structural safety, these cars aren't designed to take impacts while upside down.
Great post

Was thinking this same thing right after I heard he had survived. Hopefully he does retire. He’s been successful. He has two little girls that need a daddy now.
He talked about possible retirement at the beginning of last year. This year he HAD said retirement wasn't in his thoughts..My guess is this will change that. :(

FS1 is doing an iRacing broadcast from Homestead-Miami on Sunday at 1:30 EDT.    

NASCAR icon Dale Earnhardt Jr. and NASCAR Hall of Fame driver Bobby Labonte headline a high-powered lineup, including two-time and defending NASCAR CUP SERIES champion Kyle Busch, 2012 NASCAR CUP SERIES champion Brad Keselowski, 2018 NASCAR CUP Series champion Joey Logano, three-time Daytona 500 winner Denny Hamlin, 2016 NASCAR CUP SERIES Rookie of the Year Chase Elliott, 2008 NASCAR XFINITY SERIES champion Clint Bowyer, 2014 NASCAR CUP SERIES Rookie of the Year Kyle Larson and 2017 NASCAR GANDER RV & OUTDOORS TRUCK SERIES champion Christopher Bell.

Additional NASCAR CUP SERIES drivers* competing on Sunday include Bubba Wallace, Chris Buescher, William Byron, Matt DiBenedetto, Austin Dillon, Ty Dillon, Timmy Hill, Michael McDowell, John Hunter Nemechek, Ryan Preece, Garrett Smithley, Erik Jones, Ross Chastain, Parker Kligerman, Landon Cassill and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. A full 35-car lineup, including racers from the NASCAR XFINITY SERIES and NASCAR GANDER RV & OUTDOORS TRUCK SERIES, will be announced Sunday.
The Fox announcing crew will be on board which is kind of a mixed blessing.

FS1 is doing an iRacing broadcast from Homestead-Miami on Sunday at 1:30 EDT.    

The Fox announcing crew will be on board which is kind of a mixed blessing.
BUMP  I checked and this is listed on FS1 for broadcast.  As I mentioned last week, this was surprisingly fun to watch.  What I really didn't care for, was that the racers from the iLeague did appear to (rightly) have an advantage over the real racers.  If I am reading this right, they will not be part of today's (or possible future) events.  And, something I didn't quite get from last week.  One of the lead drivers from last week unexpectedly slammed the wall and the commentators mentioned it was a "system" thing and not a "car" thing; and he came back in the race with an undamaged (I think) car due to the system glitch.  I tried to goggle around for rules and didn't land on anything.   

BUMP  I checked and this is listed on FS1 for broadcast.  As I mentioned last week, this was surprisingly fun to watch.  What I really didn't care for, was that the racers from the iLeague did appear to (rightly) have an advantage over the real racers.  If I am reading this right, they will not be part of today's (or possible future) events.  And, something I didn't quite get from last week.  One of the lead drivers from last week unexpectedly slammed the wall and the commentators mentioned it was a "system" thing and not a "car" thing; and he came back in the race with an undamaged (I think) car due to the system glitch.  I tried to goggle around for rules and didn't land on anything.   
The damage settings are more relaxed than real-life, in part to give some relief in the event of somebody glitching into the wall.

This is cool so far 

I always wanted to sign up for iracing but I suck so felt it wouldn't be worth it...

I was a huge Nascar 3 racer back in the day

I've been om iracing for about 9 years now. Ask me anything.

I didn't see last weeks race, but I would guess the "glitch" was an internet, or pc problem from the way you described it. Most iracing side glitches come from the prediction code. It sometimes thinks that cars make contact when they visually do not.

Car damage and Re-Sets are options that can be used in user created hosted or league races. All "official iraces" use full damage and zero resets. 

This is cool so far 

I always wanted to sign up for iracing but I suck so felt it wouldn't be worth it...

I was a huge Nascar 3 racer back in the day
I used to love the old Papyrus NASCAR and IndyCar sims.  Grand Prix Legends was over my skill level--a clean lap at Spa was rare occurence.

David Kaemmer who was lead developer on the Papyrus titles co-founded iRacing and is still its CEO.

I used to love the old Papyrus NASCAR and IndyCar sims.  Grand Prix Legends was over my skill level--a clean lap at Spa was rare occurence.

David Kaemmer who was lead developer on the Papyrus titles co-founded iRacing and is still its CEO.
Yeah that's why I was going to do it.  I looked into it a couple times...I don't have a wheel or anything anymore

So Erik Jones didn't start because of internet problems and Stenhouse got black flagged.

in the qualifying race

So Erik Jones didn't start because of internet problems and Stenhouse got black flagged.

in the qualifying race
Everyone gets in the show after the heat race so I'd guess both will be in.  They mentioned the black flag would be used for those "cheating" by riding the wall as it gave an unfair SIM advantage.  

Nice choice for the National Anthem. But did they really have to show the virtual flag from the virtual raceway? Couldn't they find a real flag somewhere on the Fox studio property?

@tdappel: Clint Bowyer's struggles are spectacular television. #NASCAR

@jeff_gluck: Says @bubbawallace on his stream after he wrecked with Bowyer: “That’s why I don’t take this #### serious. Bye bye. Peace out!”

Then the stream went dark. Bubba gone.

Users who are viewing this thread