What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (6 Viewers)

Or Baker or Murphy.  The point is the sum of 2 first round picks at CB, LB, WR will likely be much better than one picked a little higher.
That makes sense but there are enough 1st round busts that show that isn't always true.   

In any case I agree in principal that 2 good players are better than 1 but I have no idea how the Steelers have graded these guys.  If they think they can get 1 sure-thing game changer they could package their pick with a pick they get in the AB trade to move up.   Just throwing it out there...

First things first - they need to get a first rounder for AB.  Hopefully that happens and the Steelers are faced with the decision to move up or not 👍

If they get a high 2nd for AB, the Steelers could probably still get a top 5 WR from this class. DK would be gone, but someone from Harmon, Harry, Brown, and Brown would still be there at 33-45, I think.  But we'd definitely need a top 50 pick for AB to get a decent WR replacement. 

Right now I'm hoping the Steelers just go BPA at 20, and then go more for need with the 2nd and 3rd picks (hopefully 1 and 2 or 2 and 2). It feels like one of those years where a top 10 talent falls to #20, like the year we got Decastro and analysts were saying he's a top 10 lock talent-wise. It might be a OLB/ILB/DL/CB/IDGAF, if there's a top 10 talent, I hope we take that over need. Edmunds and Burns feel like need picks, and while Edmunds I think will turn out to be a fine player, I think there were better options. 

I still see Devin White mocked to the Steelers sometimes and I'm like, there's no way, but lots of the teams ahead of us that need ILB also have big needs at QB/Pass Rusher/WR, so I'm hoping they reach for one of those and he somehow falls to us. I don't think he's as good as Shazier, but he's still the top ILB available. 

Texans cut Kevin Johnson. He's had concussion issues recently, but when he played he was a top CB. Is it worth signing him to a 2-year deal at a reasonable number if possible, to see if he can come back? Maybe 2 years $6 million? With $4 mil in year 2, not guaranteed. 

If arizona is serious about AB could we somehow get Peterson AND a pick if they get some draft capital for Rosen from the Giants or dolphins?
Not if you're talking about a 1st round pick (and probably not going to get Peterson, in any event).  AB's recent comments about how he doesn't need to play football, and how any new team is going to have to play by his rules aren't going to help his trade value.  Since Pitt will be lucky (IMO) to get a late first, they aren't gonna get a high first AND a good player in a trade.

Not if you're talking about a 1st round pick (and probably not going to get Peterson, in any event).  AB's recent comments about how he doesn't need to play football, and how any new team is going to have to play by his rules aren't going to help his trade value.  Since Pitt will be lucky (IMO) to get a late first, they aren't gonna get a high first AND a good player in a trade.
Agreed.  I also don't think Peterson is on the trading block anymore, if he ever was.

Not a first if a player like peterson was coming and not arizona’s second either. But if they get an extra 2-4 pick or picks from a Rosen trade, then maybe one of those?

Recent rumor is that AZ and Broncos are out on AB, also the Jets. Could be misdirection, but right now all I've heard is Oakland and Washington, but the Skins might just be people making guesses because they have no good WRs. 

Well, I hope the Bills invested in a fleet of new wheelbarrows, cuz I can see almost no way that Brown reports to some gulag like Buffalo without an exceptionally high number of those full of guaranteed money on a new deal.

The trade rumors to the Bills have been pretty much squashed, with reports saying that AB is threatening not to show up if we trade him somewhere he doesn't want to go. If the trade market has dried up as much as it appears, and there really is 0 good deal on the table today, I hope the Steelers get together and sit down with AB with hard facts and go, "Look, we tried to trade you to every one of 31 teams, and nobody wants you. The best offer we got was a 5th round pick, with many teams calling you old and saying that you'll be too much of a pain. We're not going to trade you for a 5th because we believe that you're one of the most talented WRs in the game. You have 2 options. You can play your heart out for us this year, show everyone that you're still the #1 WR in the NFL, and we'll trade you next offseason when there's less of a bad image on social media. Or you can sit out or retire. We'd love to have you back, but that's where we stand."

Sure sounds like a guy who doesn’t really care much about football (just like he said).  If the Steelers can’t find a trade partner, I think there is a more than decent chance he retires.

The trade rumors to the Bills have been pretty much squashed, with reports saying that AB is threatening not to show up if we trade him somewhere he doesn't want to go. If the trade market has dried up as much as it appears, and there really is 0 good deal on the table today, I hope the Steelers get together and sit down with AB with hard facts and go, "Look, we tried to trade you to every one of 31 teams, and nobody wants you. The best offer we got was a 5th round pick, with many teams calling you old and saying that you'll be too much of a pain. We're not going to trade you for a 5th because we believe that you're one of the most talented WRs in the game. You have 2 options. You can play your heart out for us this year, show everyone that you're still the #1 WR in the NFL, and we'll trade you next offseason when there's less of a bad image on social media. Or you can sit out or retire. We'd love to have you back, but that's where we stand."
:goodposting:

Honestly, it’s what AB deserves... but I don’t believe the franchise and the core guys who have been there close to a decade deserve. But, again, no one is cheering the Steelers for rewarding Pouncey and Foster and keeping the entire OLine intact... just people calling for the victimization of Brown when he did it to himself. And you’ll see more of those people come out of the woodwork the harder line they take at this point.

Honestly, it’s what AB deserves... but I don’t believe the franchise and the core guys who have been there close to a decade deserve. But, again, no one is cheering the Steelers for rewarding Pouncey and Foster and keeping the entire OLine intact... just people calling for the victimization of Brown when he did it to himself. And you’ll see more of those people come out of the woodwork the harder line they take at this point.
Yeah, it's going to suck if AB isn't able to be traded but the Steelers can't just cut him or trade him for a 5th or something like that.

If no trade partners are found and they can't smooth things over they should just suspend him and tell him to stay away.  They can still pay him since they have to eat 21M even if they trade him. 

Why would they suspend him?

He's under contract.  They told him they'd trade him if it made sense.  It no longer looks like it will make sense.

Show up to training camp riding a dinosaur, I don't care...but show up.

If he refuses to play, THEN suspend him.

Why would they suspend him?

He's under contract.  They told him they'd trade him if it made sense.  It no longer looks like it will make sense.

Show up to training camp riding a dinosaur, I don't care...but show up.

If he refuses to play, THEN suspend him.
Yes. I am saying he likely will do something stupid that warrants suspension and that the Steelers  should take that risk if they dont get a 1 or a 2 plus a player or something. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelers shopping Gilbert after extending Pouncey and re-signing Foster.   
I'm a little surprised by all 3 of those moves. Finney seemed more than ready to replace Foster, Gilbert didn't cost a lot, and Pouncey is nowhere near worth his new deal, he's still good, but highest paid center in the NFL he is not worthy of.

I'm a little surprised by all 3 of those moves. Finney seemed more than ready to replace Foster, Gilbert didn't cost a lot, and Pouncey is nowhere near worth his new deal, he's still good, but highest paid center in the NFL he is not worthy of.
I'm happy with the Pouncey extension, it may have been a slight overpay, but he's still at the top of his game and this guarantees he'll stick around for Ben's last 3 years.  I was a bit surprised at the Foster resigning, but I think he could be the lynchpin of that O-line and losing Munchak, it's important to keep the vets together.

The Gilbert trade is a great move. We were going to cut him because he can't stay healthy and instead we got another draft lotto ticket. 

Also, AB is killing me right now. I've been in his corner since all this mess started, not that he should be blowing things up, but just that I still like him for everything he's done for the Steelers in spite of how he's acting now. If all the reports are true, and he's really tanking trades by saying he won't go here or there, and demanding to be the highest paid WR in the NFL, that's just ridiculous and starting to wear my patience thin. He doesn't deserve to be within the top 5 paid WRs because he's getting older and the others are still in their primes, but I doubt he'd ever acknowledge that. I'm still holding out hope that there is some trade partner we don't know about, but it seems like that's not the case. 

I'm not sure what I'd rather have: Trade AB for a 4th and lose tons of value, or hold on to AB and have the circus that follows. 

Extremely disappointed in AB comp. Basically AB equals Martavis and a 5th. Should have played hardball with him.

Extremely disappointed in AB comp. Basically AB equals Martavis and a 5th. Should have played hardball with him.
For all the talk, this worked out great for Brown. gets to be the leagues highest paid WR, and makes the Steelers give him away for peanuts. Also, still ends up with a solid enough QB, that he should still be a fantasy WR1.

If Tomlin were gone also, I would feel so much better.

Antonio Brown absolutely crushed a grand slam with this entire ordeal.  He and Drew Rosenhaus beat us down like battered wives.

Everyone is saying poor PIT in all this but I think they came out of this much better than the direction it was heading.

- PIT got the ALL-PRO version of Brown at the peak of his career at a fair(or better) price for the past 6 seasons

- PIT gets a 3rd in a draft where there will still be very good WR prospects in the 3rd, and they get a 5th on top of it

- OAK will be stuck paying Brown 2x$ for Brown as he gradually fades from his prime

I thought PIT was going to have to either accept a day 3 pick OR just a repeat of Bell'18 answering questions all season long. Addition by addition with the draft picks, addition by subtraction because they can just move on and avoid a season long distraction.

What I don't understand is why Gruden makes a short term move like this when he is locked in as coach/GM for almost the next decade. The picks for Brown makes sense, but the picks AND the privilege of paying Brown a QB salary for the next three years? Oh, and crossing your fingers he doesn't completely implode when Carr drives the raiders down the field for the game winning score...... but game winning TD went to someone else on the team besides Brown. No thanks. Some of Brown's ex-teamates have said that if you thought he was insufferable before just imagine where his ego is going to be at when he's making QB cash and has guarantees in his contract.

It’s all been a headache I’m sure but steeler fans sure seem ok with shipping off two of the best players in football at their positions. Pretty unceremonious for two guys who were extremely productive. It’s fascinating. First, I can’t even really pick a team that is in the same position with a top wr and rb- but imagine San Diego traded Allen and let Gordon walk right now. Or if Dallas parted ways with cooper/Zeke. Heck imagine Seattle without Carson/Baldwin, and how the fan base would react to these situations. Sure Conner and juju look the part and have had the chance to prove themselves but it’s still crazy to watch this happen with mostly positive fan support. 

Addition by addition with the draft picks, addition by subtraction because they can just move on and avoid a season long distraction.
I don't think the Steelers handled this AB situation optimally, but at this point this is the only way to look at the trade.  The Steelers got what they could to move on from ABs antics.

I don't think the Steelers handled this AB situation optimally, but at this point this is the only way to look at the trade.  The Steelers got what they could to move on from ABs antics.
Agreed, they didn't handle this or Bell the best they could have, but the past is the past. I'm just happy the situations are over. It's like finally breaking up with a hot but crazy girlfriend.

Should have held out longer and gotten closer draft day. A 3rd is terrible. This self imposed deadline and caring one iota about the $2.5mm roster bonus was stupid. Expect better from colbert and the Steelers. Terrible. Disappointing. 
Got a feeling this is at least partly on Rooney. I definitely think Colbert is taking too much heat on this one. It’s a deep class both defensively and in WR’s. Not saying it makes it better but they seemed hell bent to end the drama right now. No AB and no Bell fiasco’s going into next season. Pressure is on Ben and Tomlin to weather this. If not our offseason could be even more interesting next year.

Got a feeling this is at least partly on Rooney. I definitely think Colbert is taking too much heat on this one. It’s a deep class both defensively and in WR’s. Not saying it makes it better but they seemed hell bent to end the drama right now. No AB and no Bell fiasco’s going into next season. Pressure is on Ben and Tomlin to weather this. If not our offseason could be even more interesting next year.
A #3 might end up as a contributor and a #5 is lucky to make the team. To give up a hof player who is top 3 at his position and likely will be the next 3 years still for this compensation is bad in a lot of ways.

That $2.5mm isnt due until next week. The draft is a month away. Things can happen in camp. Why not wait?  Hell, they could have traded him in June and cut the cap hit in half. They let him dictate the whole process. The owners and nfl cannot be happy. And neither are the fans. 

Very disappointed. 

I agree with all of this.  Not much Colbert could do in this situation when AB definitely wanted out and Rooney said publicly that AB would be traded.  Also, this mean Tomlin has to run a tighter ship.  No one player should be bigger than the team.

Should have held out longer and gotten closer draft day. A 3rd is terrible. This self imposed deadline and caring one iota about the $2.5mm roster bonus was stupid. Expect better from colbert and the Steelers. Terrible. Disappointing. 
Why, seriously?  I don’t feel like they’ve handled player/personnel/roster issues all that well recently. AB, Bell, Roethlisberger (supposed to be working out a new deal while not holding him accountable at all for his role in the AB mess) Harrison, Blount, AB (the last time), Polamalu’s retirement, etc.  The deal with Bruce Arians “retiring,” the Haley/Ben nonsense, Joey Porter, also.  

They get credit for being a great franchise, but they’ve had their share of misses, too.  This is not an exception, but rather another in that strong of misses.

I am just happy the circus is coming to a close and we can move on to a somewhat normal off-season. I am sure ownership feels the same. Plus we have some cap room to work with...Haven't had that in what seems like forever.

The draft picks are a bonus.
Eagles and 49ers fans were happy to see Hall of Famer T.O. move on also. Nobody wants to root for this kind person.

Users who are viewing this thread