What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ⅿ- Mandalorian Series! (4 Viewers)

here is what Favreau said about it (obviously you don't believe him, but it makes some sense to me).

"I think that part of what people really value is to be surprised and delighted, and I think that's becoming all too rare. It's very difficult to keep secrets about projects you're working on," Favreau told The Hollywood Reporter. "By holding back on that one product, we knew that we may have had the disadvantage of not having toys available day and date, but what we got in exchange was an excitement surrounding the character, because everybody felt like they discovered him together. That emulated more what my experience growing up was like."
Completely disagree that Disney would hold back on a Star Wars toy that could sell for the holidays when they've been taking a huge hit in that market since 2017. They would sell their own children to make money on Star Wars toys again. 

Besides we've basically had the whole movie leaked at this point, what do they care if a couple people saw a baby Yoda doll with no context from a show on their streaming service?

here is what Favreau said about it (obviously you don't believe him, but it makes some sense to me).

"I think that part of what people really value is to be surprised and delighted, and I think that's becoming all too rare. It's very difficult to keep secrets about projects you're working on," Favreau told The Hollywood Reporter. "By holding back on that one product, we knew that we may have had the disadvantage of not having toys available day and date, but what we got in exchange was an excitement surrounding the character, because everybody felt like they discovered him together. That emulated more what my experience growing up was like."
Also found this from a toy manufacturer.

==========

Indeed, Ricahrd Gottlieb, CEO of Global Toy Group, says that distributors debut prototypes of toys at showcases around 15 months before a targeted Christmas season. For Baby Yoda merch to have been available after The Mandalorian debuted, prototypes would have needed to be out there for the world to see as early as October 2018.

“Chances are that someone would have seen it in their showroom and word would have gotten out,” explains Gottlieb. “There’d be no way to keep it quiet.”

NewlyRetired said:
Also found this from a toy manufacturer.

==========

Indeed, Ricahrd Gottlieb, CEO of Global Toy Group, says that distributors debut prototypes of toys at showcases around 15 months before a targeted Christmas season. For Baby Yoda merch to have been available after The Mandalorian debuted, prototypes would have needed to be out there for the world to see as early as October 2018.

“Chances are that someone would have seen it in their showroom and word would have gotten out,” explains Gottlieb. “There’d be no way to keep it quiet.”
Great cover up to assuage shareholders to try to save face for their incompetence. What incentive do they have to keep baby Yoda a secret for their newly launched streaming service that they want people to subscribe too? Why would they also forfeit money during Christmas season when the Star Wars toy line is basically a black hole the past 2 years?

I don't buy it at all.  When has Disney (or any corporation really) said "no thanks, we'll wait another 6 months to make money merchandising a show that may or may not still be popular by then."

Great cover up to assuage shareholders to try to save face for their incompetence. What incentive do they have to keep baby Yoda a secret for their newly launched streaming service that they want people to subscribe too? Why would they also forfeit money during Christmas season when the Star Wars toy line is basically a black hole the past 2 years?

I don't buy it at all.  When has Disney (or any corporation really) said "no thanks, we'll wait another 6 months to make money merchandising a show that may or may not still be popular by then."
I would guess the buzz of baby Yoda all at once to drive subscriptions is much more valuable in the long run than selling the toys short term. 

I would guess the buzz of baby Yoda all at once to drive subscriptions is much more valuable in the long run than selling the toys short term. 
Why not both? How many people are really going to see a product show release and think anything of it and then weeks later it's on the show. Then boom product is ready for the holidays and you sell millions of units at the height of popularity. Now your banking on people waiting until May and still caring about Baby Yoda. If they can get new episodes out by May then maybe. Don't see that happening though.

Ummmmm.... Isnt this basically the best argument in favor of "they really wanted to keep it a secret"??? 

Just started this last night and haven’t read this thread at all in case it actually develops a plot. So far it’s like a video game. Accept a bounty mission, collect crafting materials as a reward for completing the bounty, then travel to an NPC who upgrades your gear in exchange for the crafting materials while trying to skip through the dialogue as fast as possible. Oh no!  Your Fast Travel station has been disabled, travel to the Mysterious Cavern to collect the egg to re-enable fast travel. I’ve played JRPGs that make more sense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean they made toys for hunchback, atlantis, etc. I mean they make toys for some of the rides that aren't even that popular. 

It is pretty much what they do. So the fact that they didn't have a slew of toys ready and they are saying that they tried to keep it under wraps, seems to make sense. 

The alternative is that they went against what they have always done and it was an ooopsie. 

I mean they made toys for hunchback, atlantis, etc. I mean they make toys for some of the rides that aren't even that popular. 

It is pretty much what they do. So the fact that they didn't have a slew of toys ready and they are saying that they tried to keep it under wraps, seems to make sense. 

The alternative is that they went against what they have always done and it was an ooopsie. 
Yes. That's what I'm saying. 

Yes. That's what I'm saying. 
I know that's what you are saying. 

I am pointing out it seems like a weird thing to say and to support it by saying that they love to make merchandise and all companies do too so they must have forgot??? 

A better argument to why they don't have merchandise available is because they didn't want to release all of the merchandise at one time and make people choose between two of the same properties' merchandise.

If they hold off on the mandalorian merchandise they could create pent up demand and sell more from both. 

I know that's what you are saying. 

I am pointing out it seems like a weird thing to say and to support it by saying that they love to make merchandise and all companies do too so they must have forgot??? 

A better argument to why they don't have merchandise available is because they didn't want to release all of the merchandise at one time and make people choose between two of the same properties' merchandise.

If they hold off on the mandalorian merchandise they could create pent up demand and sell more from both. 
My main point is that the leaders of Lucasfilms are incompetent. This seems to support that. 

They want to make as much money in a short amount of time as possible. However, they didn't foresee the possibility of monetizing the Mandalorian until after it was a success. You don't think they'd like to pad their 2019 sales with millions of baby Yoda's to fill in for the lack of toy sales they have for the new movies?

My main point is that the leaders of Lucasfilms are incompetent. This seems to support that. 

They want to make as much money in a short amount of time as possible. However, they didn't foresee the possibility of monetizing the Mandalorian until after it was a success. You don't think they'd like to pad their 2019 sales with millions of baby Yoda's to fill in for the lack of toy sales they have for the new movies?
You think that they made the mandalorian the flagship of their new streaming service and thought it wouldnt be successful? 

Disney knew exactly what they had in Baby Yoda IMO. 

Favreau fought tooth and nail to hide him from the public and to convince Disney not to release info to the toy manufacturers.  Any one who came on set was sworn to total secrecy.  

Anyone who has followed Favreau's career knows that he is one of the straightest shooters in Hollywood.  I am taking him at face value here.

You think that they made the mandalorian the flagship of their new streaming service and thought it wouldnt be successful? 
he hates much of the newer Star Wars stuff in general so his schtick is to believe that every one is dumb and stupid at Disney to support his opinions. 

It gets kind of old hearing people call other people stupid who have clearly achieved quite a bit in the industry but that is where are in fandom today.  It is pretty sad.

I’m only surprised at the length of time it takes to get a toy on the shelves. 15 months seems excessive even when factoring in design, safety testing, manufacturing, advertising and distribution. It seems like you could fast track a plush toy and get it out within a month or two to take advantage of the market.

Either they bank on it being a success but don't have any plans on merchandising it right away to capitalize on the popularity or they hoped it was going to be a success but held off for fear of wasting more money on toys that won't sell. 

I don't buy that they allowed Favreau that much control over them making potential money just to keep a "spoiler" no one knew about or expected.  That's the cover story. 

he hates much of the newer Star Wars stuff in general so his schtick is to believe that every one is dumb and stupid at Disney to support his opinions. 

It gets kind of old hearing people call other people stupid who have clearly achieved quite a bit in the industry but that is where are in fandom today.  It is pretty sad.
:rolleyes:

There’s a lot of SW stuff that has arguably been mismanaged by Disney, but I don’t believe it is even a little bit plausible that they just failed foresee that baby Yoda would move a lot of merchandise.  Whether the surprise was worth the lost merchandising revenue is another question, but there’s no question it was one that was considered. 

Either they bank on it being a success but don't have any plans on merchandising it right away to capitalize on the popularity or they hoped it was going to be a success but held off for fear of wasting more money on toys that won't sell. 

I don't buy that they allowed Favreau that much control over them making potential money just to keep a "spoiler" no one knew about or expected.  That's the cover story. 
You can buy toys for the nightmare before xmas. Today. They have some stuff at the parks for sale that you just scratch your head. 

There is no way they made a choice to not make toys for this thing because they were afraid it wouldnt do well or that they wouldnt sell when they have an endless supply of junk they put out that flops miserably. 

2 more episodes. guessing before the season ends baby yoda does something awesome and the guys feet we saw in the dessert episode is revealed

I'm guessing he's actually a "dark side" Yoda, kills a bunch of innocent babies and children and is revealed as actually very racist. Therefore no one will want to buy the toy. The Mandolorian kills him and every starts calling him Baby Adolph.
Most logical post I have seen in this thread 

You can buy toys for the nightmare before xmas. Today. They have some stuff at the parks for sale that you just scratch your head. 

There is no way they made a choice to not make toys for this thing because they were afraid it wouldnt do well or that they wouldnt sell when they have an endless supply of junk they put out that flops miserably. 
We're saying the same thing but for different reasons. 

Disney bought lucas films for 4 billion dollars, I would love to be so incompetent that my company gets bought out for 4 billion dollars. Since then Disney star wars movies have grossed over 4.8 billion dollars at the box office and this one will put them over the top so please explain to me this incompetent part again. On second thought, please don't.

Disney bought lucas films for 4 billion dollars, I would love to be so incompetent that my company gets bought out for 4 billion dollars. Since then Disney star wars movies have grossed over 4.8 billion dollars at the box office and this one will put them over the top so please explain to me this incompetent part again. On second thought, please don't.
Yes you don't want me to get into it here. Basically they have cost themselves billions in how they mismanaged the IP.

At least 3 people in this thread
the point i was sarcastically trying to make is why would anyone give two cents about whether a company worth $266 Billion makes a few more million off a toy they may or may not have forgotten to get produced in some #### hole country by virtual slave people just in time for the holidays.

sports_fan said:
Best to worst 

1. Chapter 6: The Prisoner 
  2. Chapter 3: The Sin
  3. Chapter 2: The Child 
  4. Chapter 1
  5. Chapter 5: The Gunslinger 
  6. Chapter 4: Sanctuary 
This works for me.  Might have 1 a bit higher as it was a good strong start but legit order.  

James Daulton said:
How many light sabers out of 5 does this show rate?
I'd say 3.5. maybe a 4. Hits the right nostalgia buttons and feels like you're in the Star Wars universe. Not a very deep plot yet though. Just fun to watch.

James Daulton said:
How many light sabers out of 5 does this show rate?
Just for the Star Wars universe, or as a show total? 

For Star Wars universe, I'd say 2?  It's OK, but I would rather put on any of the old movies, new movies, and Revenge of the Sith over it - so that's below average.   For TV show overall, a little higher - 3/5 since there is a lot of junk TV out there.  

Just for the Star Wars universe, or as a show total? 

For Star Wars universe, I'd say 2?  It's OK, but I would rather put on any of the old movies, new movies, and Revenge of the Sith over it - so that's below average.   For TV show overall, a little higher - 3/5 since there is a lot of junk TV out there.  
And if I could be Siskel to your Ebert, I'd say I totally disagree and give it 4 out of 5.  It's been amazing seeing this story play out and the ride has been great.  Cast is amazing and it's the only show left that I actually look forward to each week premiering.  

Saw an interview few days back where favreau said it's a serial. Meaning they might not be any one overall plot/goal.
I think you have this backwards.  Serial means there IS an overarching plot.  Episodic means no major overarching plot in most episodes.

We are coming up on the end of the season now so I am guessing we will get some insight into the overarching plot in the next few episodes, which I am guessing will be in the form of more info on the Yodaling.  Hopefully it won't just be a tease/cliffhanger at the end of the finale and we will get at least a whole episode or two dedicated to it.

For those wondering about a long term plot, here is what Favreau said about it this week:

=======================

"I’m putting a lot of effort working with Dave Filoni to figure out what the overarching story is and the story line for all these characters and what the world is like. We want to make sure that we have a road map, because we’re also a puzzle piece that fits into a larger Star Wars universe that has a lot of other movies and a lot of other projects, and we want to make sure we’re consistent with them."

"We have a good 25-year patch of road [in the Star Wars canon] that nobody is exploring right now, and it’s the most interesting time for me as a storyteller to explore — the time after the fall of the empire and before the resurgence of the darker forces."

I think you have this backwards.  Serial means there IS an overarching plot.  Episodic means no major overarching plot in most episodes.

We are coming up on the end of the season now so I am guessing we will get some insight into the overarching plot in the next few episodes, which I am guessing will be in the form of more info on the Yodaling.  Hopefully it won't just be a tease/cliffhanger at the end of the finale and we will get at least a whole episode or two dedicated to it.
From his mouth, it seems like they are still working this out.  I am guessing they had some idea, but are still working out how to go forward.  

I liken it to "BJ and the Bear" in space (baby Yoda being Bear of course). 

Which there is absolutely nothing wrong with. 

I’m assuming they want the overall plot to align with a future movie to build off the success of the show. I’m not really surprised they don’t have it all worked out yet
Yeah.  I would think that most shows in season 1 didn't have the entire arc figured out at that point.  Even the greats like Breaking Bad didn't seem to have a plan for what was to come.

Season 1 kind of lays the foundation.  

Users who are viewing this thread