Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

8 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

Ive read a few articles the last few days that are not too thrilled with Lukes inclusion. They make the point that all things Star Wars seem to go back to the same few characters. They argue that Mado could have built the SW universe without the Skywalkers, but didnt. 

Interesting points for sure even though it was super awesome. Even if that is all we see of Luke, did they really need him or could it have been some other jedi. :shrug:

I was definitely annoyed that the Episodes 7-8-9 basically reduced the entire broad galaxy of action they have access to down to basically a family argument.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still can't believe the guy from Swingers has made my favorite Christmas movie....develop/built my 2d favorite movie franchise.... and saved my favorite franchise... Favreau is so money and he

Also the Lady Expendables were awesome. Because they were just awesome. They didn't tell us they were awesome. They didn't have other people go "wow look how awesome they are". They were all individua

Mark Hamill @HamillHimself The fact that we were able to keep my involvement a secret for over a year with no leaks is nothing less than a miracle. A real triumph for spoiler-haters everywhe

20 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

Ive read a few articles the last few days that are not too thrilled with Lukes inclusion. They make the point that all things Star Wars seem to go back to the same few characters. They argue that Mado could have built the SW universe without the Skywalkers, but didnt. 

Interesting points for sure even though it was super awesome. Even if that is all we see of Luke, did they really need him or could it have been some other jedi. :shrug:

ETA: I'm an idiot and had my timeline off on possibility of who they could have used.

Edited by acarey50
21 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

No matter what Star Wars does, there will be people finding an angle to criticize it for clicks. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

I mean, if the story arc requires them to find a Jedi to train baby Yoda, the alternative approach of ignoring the fact that there's a prominent, super-duper grand master Jedi out there looking for recruits seems like much more of a stretch.  

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

Don't be ridiculous. I've been literally waiting 37 years for that scene.  Some people will complain about anything.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AcerFC said:

There's good use of the same few characters, and bad use of the same few characters.  Making Anakin having built C-3PO so he and R2 can be in all the movies was stupid.  Bringing the Emperor back from the dead in the finale is bad.

Giving us a small glimpse of Like Skywalker at the peak of his power was good use of a main character.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, AcerFC said:

Sorry, but having Luke be an utter badass in a very cool scene is not a bad thing. 2 seasons and we had, what 90 seconds of Luke? I'm good with that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
6 hours ago, thecatch said:

I mean, if the story arc requires them to find a Jedi to train baby Yoda, the alternative approach of ignoring the fact that there's a prominent, super-duper grand master Jedi out there looking for recruits seems like much more of a stretch.  

This - a lot of the “superfans” were begging for either Ezra Bridger (whose “where is he?” story still needs to be fleshed out and resolved first, likely in the Ashoka series), or Cal Kestis, which would have been FAR too obscure a pick for a moment as climactic as that one.

Luke was the only logical choice in that timeline.  It wasn’t about shoehorning Skywalkers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

This - a lot of the “superfans” were begging for either Ezra Bridger (whose “where is he?” story still needs to be fleshed out and resolved first, likely in the Ashoka series), or Cal Kestis, which would have been FAR too obscure a pick for a moment as climactic as that one.

Luke was the only logical choice in that timeline.  It wasn’t about shoehorning Skywalkers.

They could have made Ashoka work too

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, AcerFC said:

My rebuttal to that? #### em. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, AcerFC said:

There aren’t supposed to be any other jedi left. 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

They could have made Ashoka work too

Which would have been 1/10th as awesome.  You have to be a pretty miserable curmudgeon not to have just sat back and enjoyed the hell out of that.  I was giddy.

My reaction was probably a bit different from some described here.  I was stunned because it didn’t even occur to me it could be Luke.  Like that seemed so farfetched to me.  So the X-Wing rolls in and I’m thinking “hm, wonder if this person is here to help.”  And even then the guy comes walking through with the cloak and I’m thinking “huh, maybe a Jedi.”   And then a lightsaber comes out and he’s totally kicktail and I’m thinking “wait.  Wait a minute...”. And then the black glove on one hand and it’s suddenly dawning on me, like “oh crap.  Wait.  Could it seriously be???”  So when he dropped the hood and it was Luke, like actual Luke, from that time frame, I was practically jumping off my couch.”  But for me it was a slow buildup over the span of a couple minutes.  And it was so freaking awesome.

Also thought it was cool to see him just wreck like that.  Poor Mando almost got killed by one of those things.  Barely got out alive.  Luke cuts through a whole platoon of them like a warm knife through butter.  It was interesting to see just how powerful and dominant and special Luke was, because I don’t think we ever saw that in the original movies.  It’s helpful context and explanation for why this guy was such a legend.  

Just really awesome and well done.  

Edited by Otis
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Otis said:

Which would have been 1/10th as awesome.  You have to be a pretty miserable curmudgeon not to have just sat back and enjoyed the hell out of that.  I was giddy.

My reaction was probably a bit different from some described here.  I was stunned because it didn’t even occur to me it could be Luke.  Like that seemed so farfetched to me.  So the X-Wing rolls in and I’m thinking “hm, wonder if this person is here to help.”  And even then the guy comes walking through with the cloak and I’m thinking “huh, maybe a Jedi.”   And then a lightsaber comes out and he’s totally kicktail and I’m thinking “wait.  Wait a minute...”. And then the black glove on one hand and it’s suddenly dawning on me, like “oh crap.  Wait.  Could it seriously be???”  So when he dropped the hood and it was Luke, like actual Luke, from that time frame, I was practically jumping off my couch.”  But for me it was a slow buildup over the span of a couple minutes.  And it was so freaking awesome.

Also thought it was cool to see him just wreck like that.  Poor Mando almost got killed by one of those things.  Barely got out alive.  Luke cuts through a whole platoon of them like a warm knife through butter.  It was interesting to see just how powerful and dominant and special Luke was, because I don’t think we ever saw that in the original movies.  It’s helpful context and explanation for why this guy was such a legend.  

Agree Luke is better, just saying Ashoka could have worked if they didn’t want to go Luke route

And I had it spoiled for me because I didn’t watch it at 7 AM Friday so my Google home page had a bunch of WOW LUKE SKYWALKER LOOKED SO YOUNG IN THE MANDALORIAN articles 

1 minute ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Agree Luke is better, just saying Ashoka could have worked if they didn’t want to go Luke route

And I had it spoiled for me because I didn’t watch it at 7 AM Friday so my Google home page had a bunch of WOW LUKE SKYWALKER LOOKED SO YOUNG IN THE MANDALORIAN articles 

Oh that stinks.  I would have been so annoyed if that were spoiled.  Wouldn’t have been nearly the same mind blowing experience for me as it was.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Otis said:

This was basically my experience as well. 

My buddy messaged me to watch it but didn't spoil it. He just said he had tears and watched it 3 times. I was like hmm guess it was pretty good. Had no idea they would put Luke in there because of how bad they ruined him in the sequel movies. 

It was absolutely amazing when that slow realization of who it was came to mind. They directed it beautifully giving you little tidbits each scene until the big reveal. 

Edited by Insein
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Otis said:

Oh that stinks.  I would have been so annoyed if that were spoiled.  Wouldn’t have been nearly the same mind blowing experience for me as it was.

I forgot it was Friday, so I opened this thread up and saw a spoiler.

Then we're watching it as a family, and everyone is shooting of guesses.  I didn't want to spoil anything but I just said "CAN WE JUST WATCH IT!"

6 hours ago, AcerFC said:

Sorry, but having Luke be an utter badass in a very cool scene is not a bad thing. 2 seasons and we had, what 90 seconds of Luke? I'm good with that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Exactly. That's naturally fitting him into the story.

• Thanks 2
22 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Did you not like the way you said the same thing yesterday?

• Laughing 1
5 minutes ago, Insein said:

Exactly. That's naturally fitting him into the story.

And it's the cleanest plot line possible. My kids suggested Ezra or Kanan as possibilities. I haven't watched the end of Rebels, but I believe either would have required a time consuming explanation (or plans for a spin-off). Luke can show up, be a bad-###, and exit the scene/show without any additional commitments to the overall story line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Otis said:

You have to be a pretty miserable curmudgeon not to have just sat back and enjoyed the hell out of that.  

It's probably mostly people younger than us who grew up thinking the prequels are Star Wars and either don't realize or took way too long to realize the prequels suck out loud.

4 hours ago, Insein said:

This was basically my experience as well. 

My buddy messaged me to watch it but didn't spoil it. He just said he had tears and watched it 3 times. I was like hmm guess it was pretty good. Had no idea they would put Luke in there because of how bad they ruined him in the sequel movies. 

It was absolutely amazing when that slow realization of who it was came to mind. They directed it beautifully giving you little tidbits each scene until the big reveal. 

Same here.  I've never watched Clone or Rebels or played any video games or read any books - I only know the movies and Mandalorian.  So I didn't know who it might be, but it slowly dawned on me through the scene it might be Luke.

Watched it again, then was on Facetime with my daughter (who isn't into this at all but has watched the movies with me) and held up the iPad for her to watch.  Even she got a little excited.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dragons said:

And it's the cleanest plot line possible. My kids suggested Ezra or Kanan as possibilities. I haven't watched the end of Rebels, but I believe either would have required a time consuming explanation (or plans for a spin-off). Luke can show up, be a bad-###, and exit the scene/show without any additional commitments to the overall story line.

Yea I loved rebels but nobody generally knows or cares about Ezra. Nerds online saying it should have been their favorite comic book or video game Jedi simply do not understand what mass appeal like this means. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, AcerFC said:

Did you not like the way you said the same thing yesterday?

When I popped in here, it showed the screen with my comment and submit reply still active at the bottom. I hit submit reply and the screen still didn't change. That's when I realized I probably posted it at least once already. So I refreshed the screen and saw the double post and hid one of them. Do you feel better pointing out the simple mistakes of others? Don't you have a festivus party to get to?

6 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yea I loved rebels but nobody generally knows or cares another Ezra. Nerds online saying it should have been their favorite comic book or video game Jedi simply do not understand what mass appeal like this means. 

You know me. I love the depth of Star Wars lore but there's no one that could have come at that point who would have made sense. Ezra and Cal never even popped into my mind.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Insein said:

You know me. I love the depth of Star Wars lore but there's no one that could have come at that point who would have made sense. Ezra and Cal never even popped into my mind.

Nah no way. Imagine Cal showing up there lol. 99% of the viewers would be like who the hell is that. You can’t match that kind of moment with anybody else. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dragons said:

Sorry to spoil this for you, but it has been a few years. It couldn’t have been Kanan because he died before the end of Rebels. Ezra disappeared with Thrawn, so he could’ve been a possibility if Thrawn has returned, but I agree there would be a bigger to-do around his return than Luke’s pop-in. Most likely Ezra will show up in the Ahsoka series.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TheFanatic said:

When I popped in here, it showed the screen with my comment and submit reply still active at the bottom. I hit submit reply and the screen still didn't change. That's when I realized I probably posted it at least once already. So I refreshed the screen and saw the double post and hid one of them. Do you feel better pointing out the simple mistakes of others? Don't you have a festivus party to get to?

You over read it GB. Was supposed to be humor. Didnt work. 

31 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

So, uh, does Ben Solo murder baby Yoda in like 20 years after Luke takes him?

Lol my wife discussed that the other day. Sooooooooo what exactly happens to baby yoda before 7-9 

Edited by Capella
On 12/23/2020 at 8:40 PM, Insein said:
On 12/23/2020 at 11:28 AM, AcerFC said:

My rebuttal to that? #### em. 

Seriously. We just watched one of the greatest scenes in television history. In fact, some of us watched it multiple times, with perhaps a few more viewings in our near future. Skywalker/Darth Vader is Star Wars. It would have sucked hardcore if they didn't include Luke in this most awesome scene

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Capella said:

Lol my wife discussed that the other day. Sooooooooo what exactly happens to baby yoda before 7-9 

We're going to have to wait to find out if these are in the same timelines.

There's a real life power struggle at disney right now over Lucasfilms. KK and her faction vs Favreau, Filoni and Feige. KK and her people are apparently trying to feed into the Luke is not a big deal crowd. One of them (Pablo Hidalgo) even attacked a well known Star Wars youtuber for crying to Luke coming back. They are not very happy at all at Luke being a bad ### and taking the spotlight back in Star Wars. 

21 minutes ago, Insein said:

We're going to have to wait to find out if these are in the same timelines.

There's a real life power struggle at disney right now over Lucasfilms. KK and her faction vs Favreau, Filoni and Feige. KK and her people are apparently trying to feed into the Luke is not a big deal crowd. One of them (Pablo Hidalgo) even attacked a well known Star Wars youtuber for crying to Luke coming back. They are not very happy at all at Luke being a bad ### and taking the spotlight back in Star Wars. 

Where does one find out about all this juicy gossip?

9 minutes ago, the moops said:

Where does one find out about all this juicy gossip?

Here's the story of Hidalgo mocking the star Wars fan. 

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/12/lucasfilm-pablo-hidalgo-rwb1/

The other stuff is rumors right now but from sources that have been proven right in Disney things before. 

Did the Last Jedi thread get wiped?

This series is such a gift, what a joy to watch and the ending was just a bonus.  Just phenomenal in terms of design, story, themes, loved it.

Rian Johnson should be ashamed of himself.

Let Grogu use force powers to retcon the whole universe, Let Filoni and Favreau re do episode 8 and 9

11 minutes ago, Smack Tripper said:

Did the Last Jedi thread get wiped?

This series is such a gift, what a joy to watch and the ending was just a bonus.  Just phenomenal in terms of design, story, themes, loved it.

Rian Johnson should be ashamed of himself.

Let Grogu use force powers to retcon the whole universe, Let Filoni and Favreau re do episode 8 and 9

Last Jedi was awesome. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Insein said:

Here's the story of Hidalgo mocking the star Wars fan. 

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/12/lucasfilm-pablo-hidalgo-rwb1/

The other stuff is rumors right now but from sources that have been proven right in Disney things before. 

I’m all for rumors but that second link is tremendously stupid. 

Edited by Capella
18 minutes ago, Capella said:

I’m all for rumors but that second link is tremendously stupid. The freaking lead of the Mandalorian is a...Caucasian male. I mean come on. 

It doesn't say that anywhere in the article. It says that Luke Skywalker is a caucasian male. The lead of the Mandalorian is hispanic.

Edited by Insein
6 minutes ago, Insein said:

It doesn't say that anywhere in the article. It says that Luke Skywalker is a caucasian male. The lead of the Mandalorian is hispanic.

I did not know he was from Chile so that’s my bad. Still, that article is really stupid.