Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

6 hours ago, Insein said:

No. I think they're going to grow Star Wars naturally and continue a realistic story that has a plot and appeals to Star Wars fans. Casual new fans will go along with whatever (they like the Mandalorian too) the long time fans have no interest in the sequel stuff.

The long time fans are the ones that buy toys, merch, clothes, lamps, bed sheets, etc. No one bought the sequel merch. That's why Disney is certainly shifting everything towards Mandalorian and Filoni verse. It has merch that people like and want to buy. As long as they keep making good stories that grow the lore and build upon the Star Wars that is loved, the fans will open up their wallets to consume it.

I think Rey is in a tough market for toys.

Boys don't want to play with a girl action figure, and girls don't want to play with any Star Wars action figures...

But, my teenage girls remain big fans of Rey the character.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still can't believe the guy from Swingers has made my favorite Christmas movie....develop/built my 2d favorite movie franchise.... and saved my favorite franchise... Favreau is so money and he

Also the Lady Expendables were awesome. Because they were just awesome. They didn't tell us they were awesome. They didn't have other people go "wow look how awesome they are". They were all individua

Mark Hamill @HamillHimself The fact that we were able to keep my involvement a secret for over a year with no leaks is nothing less than a miracle. A real triumph for spoiler-haters everywhe

9 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I think Rey is in a tough market for toys.

Boys don't want to play with a girl action figure, and girls don't want to play with any Star Wars action figures...

But, my teenage girls remain big fans of Rey the character.

My daughter was 5 when Force Awakens came out. I got her the Destiny of the Force Rey doll. She put it with her Barbies and enjoyed it for the time. She is now 9. This summer when we went to clean out her old toys and told her to get rid of anything she doesn't want, Rey went right into the trash bag. I don't think she's even acknowledged it in the past 4 years until that moment. 

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

It seems that next season is set-up to be about the dark saber, and control of Mandalor.

Yeah, but I think that part is lame.  Mando doesn't seem like the type to want power.  He's a bit of a loner and not a joiner.  He doesn't seem to have the ability to rally people to his side.  I hope Season 3 is low on the political stuff, more on the history and lore of the Mandalorians, and how they can be a force for change in the Outer Rim.  Oh and giving it back to the remnants of the Empire, wherever they may be.

1 hour ago, Foosball God said:

I guess I'm with Cappy here.  I'm not sure what you guys think is irreconcilable.  The can shoehorn literally anything into the timeline they want.  If they need another Jedi they can have one hiding out somewhere.  They need Grogu to not die when Kylo Ren kills everyone at Luke's school then they can just have Luke send him away before it happens.  They can make a plausible reason for anything they want.

What's irreconcilable is what they did to Luke in the Last Jedi. If they can make it so none of that happens, all the better.

The sequel movies don't even follow their own plot throughout so it's not a big loss. 

Somehow... Palpatine... returned

2 hours ago, Insein said:

I don't think he's a baby. He's basically like 5-10 years old. He's perfectly capable of learning things as he's learned some already. He needs someone to teach him though.

If he's only developed to the point we see him in the 50 years he's been alive, why do you think he'll suddenly develop at a much faster rate now? I mean, he doesn't listen to simple instructions and happily eats living creatures he is told he shouldn't. He's not going to suddenly become a master of anything in the next 1 year given he's barely able to function without constant supervision and has no independence at age 50. At age 51... he should be about the same.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shades said:

If he's only developed to the point we see him in the 50 years he's been alive, why do you think he'll suddenly develop at a much faster rate now? I mean, he doesn't listen to simple instructions and happily eats living creatures he is told he shouldn't. He's not going to suddenly become a master of anything in the next 1 year given he's barely able to function without constant supervision and has no independence at age 50. At age 51... he should be about the same.

He obviously had some training at the jedi temple 30 some odd years previously. That's how he was able to do the basic force grab and pull he could do. He just was in hiding with no guidance since then. Not even basic parental guidance. If hes shown how to do it correctly and given basic life skills, he will grow.

Just now, Foosball God said:

He died, so?

They made him into a nephew murdering hobo before he died. So if we can steer past that nonsense, we'll be better for it. 

• Laughing 4
23 minutes ago, Insein said:

They made him into a nephew murdering hobo before he died. So if we can steer past that nonsense, we'll be better for it. 

Lol. It happened man. It’s not going to change. 

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Lol. It happened man. It’s not going to change. 

So did the books that they said didn't happen. Now they seem to be suddenly... happening. They'll have happened until they didn't.

19 hours ago, Insein said:

Then why is no one buying her merch? Baby yoda is flying off the shelf but the sequel trilogy barely sold. To the point that they just stopped making toys for them. Kids don't want it. 

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/2020/12/21/22063580/star-wars-toys-action-figures-collectors-mandalorian-replicas

MY TALKING PORG SAYS OTHERWISE!

11 hours ago, shades said:

If he's only developed to the point we see him in the 50 years he's been alive, why do you think he'll suddenly develop at a much faster rate now?

I'd say there is conflicting evidence, at best, on "must be trained when they are young"

Luke and Rey were full-fledged adults before they got any training.  Did Leia ever get any training at all before she did her space walk - or any of the other force-related stuff she did?

8 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I'd say there is conflicting evidence, at best, on "must be trained when they are young"

Luke and Rey were full-fledged adults before they got any training.  Did Leia ever get any training at all before she did her space walk - or any of the other force-related stuff she did?

Probably just another example of Jedi hubris.

17 hours ago, Insein said:

Who then realized the error of his ways, single-handedly saving the last remnants of the Resistance/Rebellion and sacrificing himself for the greater good, all while punking his emo-##### nephew in perhaps the coolest way possible. 

Don't forget that part.  Pretty good arc.  Kinda like his Pop. 

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
12 minutes ago, Skipdog77 said:

Who then realized the error of his ways, single-handedly saving the last remnants of the Resistance/Rebellion and sacrificing himself for the greater good, all while punking his emo-##### nephew in perhaps the coolest way possible. 

Don't forget that part.  Pretty good arc.  Kinda like his Pop. 

No. He didn't even bother showing up in person to save the day and even if he had done nothing, Rey was the one that saves them anyway. He made a hologram and then faded into dust like a fart in the wind. 

On top of that, it's not a redemption from wanting to kill your nephew. You don't just wake up one night and go "hey nephew had a bad dream, guess I better kill him." Especially Luke Skywalker of all people. The guy who literally believed in the good in Darth Vader would come through in the end. 

There was no arc. It was a completely different person in TLJ than the one we knew on Return of the Jedi and they didn't bother explaining why. 

• Like 1
Just now, Insein said:

It was a completely different person in TLJ than the one we knew on Return of the Jedi and they didn't bother explaining why. 

I think it opens the door for stories about what a crappy Jedi master we was.  Really his only great quality was his unwavering belief that his father still had some good in him.  Otherwise, he was overmatched by all the Sith he faced, and never really got much training.  Rey showed 10x the promise that Luke did at the same age.

4 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I think it opens the door for stories about what a crappy Jedi master we was.  Really his only great quality was his unwavering belief that his father still had some good in him.  Otherwise, he was overmatched by all the Sith he faced, and never really got much training.  Rey showed 10x the promise that Luke did at the same age.

Which is not a story Star Wars fans want to see especially since the books that have been out for 30 years have shown Luke's growth into the ultimate Jedi. He was an amazing Jedi master that brought the jedi order back from the brink of extinction. 

He should be overmatched against Darth Vader and the Emperor, 2 of the most powerful force users in the universe. Even though he had hardcore training for several months with the greatest Jedi master, Yoda and his basic level training with Obiwan (also a top tier jedi), He shouldn't just show up and beat them with no effort. Unlike Rey Palpatine who can beat a trained force user after just picking up a lightsaber for the first time or defeating the emperor because she has a second lightsaber because more is better. 

No one wants to see a story of the greatest hero in the Star Wars universe be a miserable failure. We got that with TLJ and it almost ended Star Wars. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Insein said:

Which is not a story Star Wars fans want to see especially since the books that have been out for 30 years have shown Luke's growth into the ultimate Jedi. He was an amazing Jedi master that brought the jedi order back from the brink of extinction. 

He should be overmatched against Darth Vader and the Emperor, 2 of the most powerful force users in the universe. Even though he had hardcore training for several months with the greatest Jedi master, Yoda and his basic level training with Obiwan (also a top tier jedi), He shouldn't just show up and beat them with no effort. Unlike Rey Palpatine who can beat a trained force user after just picking up a lightsaber for the first time or defeating the emperor because she has a second lightsaber because more is better. 

No one wants to see a story of the greatest hero in the Star Wars universe be a miserable failure. We got that with TLJ and it almost ended Star Wars. 

Like Disney gives 2 sheets about the books.  They care about making moolah, and if that means Luke is a loser, then so be it.  I bet they resurrect Mace Windu next.

54 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Like Disney gives 2 sheets about the books.  They care about making moolah, and if that means Luke is a loser, then so be it.  I bet they resurrect Mace Windu next.

They do care about money. That's why when they did the Luke is a loser storyline and it started losing them money, they have chosen a different direction. That's why we have Filoni and Favreau rebuilding trust with the fans. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Insein said:

They do care about money. That's why when they did the Luke is a loser storyline and it started losing them money, they have chosen a different direction. That's why we have Filoni and Favreau rebuilding trust with the fans. 

In fine with that as long as Mark Hamill isn't playing a role.  Get a new Luke and good writers and I'm sure it will take off and make bank.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

In fine with that as long as Mark Hamill isn't playing a role.  Get a new Luke and good writers and I'm sure it will take off and make bank.

I'm good with that. It's what I said they should do from the start. Recast so they're not stuck with old actors and continue the story near return of the jedi. We're finally getting that. 

• Like 1

I was watching A New Hope today with the kids, and noticed the sand people used the same staff/club that Boba was using this season. That was a nice little touch I didn’t pick up on when I first saw it. 

• Like 2
On 1/2/2021 at 5:11 PM, Insein said:

I make pretend TLJ never happened.

The Mandolorian is on the path of righting the wrongs of TLJ. I agree with you. I did not like the way Luke was portrayed in TLJ. It was an abortion for old school Star Wars fans and fans of the books in the entire cannon. 

This series is amazing. I love it. I love the easter eggs, the nods to the original trilogy. All of it. John Favreau is saving Star Wars. And he has been consulting with the guy who imagined it all in George Lucas. 

Again.....this show has been what all of us pioneer Star War fans have been waiting for since Return Of The Jedi. 

Period!!

I will also give a huge shout out for Rogue One which is awesome sauce as well.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I have gone back and binged watched it, usually about 3 episodes at a time.  I like it more than 1 a week.

I wish Disney didn't consider 8 episodes an actual season.  It will take 3 of their seasons to equal 1 season of a show on TV, like NCIS.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:21 PM, shades said:

Because it is a fantasy series. I mean, why do you think there is a 50 year old child who can control things with his mind?

• Thinking 1
3 hours ago, Todem said:

I make pretend TLJ never happened.

The Mandolorian is on the path of righting the wrongs of TLJ. I agree with you. I did not like the way Luke was portrayed in TLJ. It was an abortion for old school Star Wars fans and fans of the books in the entire cannon. 

This series is amazing. I love it. I love the easter eggs, the nods to the original trilogy. All of it. John Favreau is saving Star Wars. And he has been consulting with the guy who imagined it all in George Lucas. 

Again.....this show has been what all of us pioneer Star War fans have been waiting for since Return Of The Jedi. 

Period!!

I will also give a huge shout out for Rogue One which is awesome sauce as well.

Dave Filoni worked under George's wing for years on the Clone Wars and is the personification of all the  things that Star Wars fans hold near and dear, imho. He’s a major part of why Mandalorian has all the great nostalgia, connections and call backs that we are all loving in this series. 

as for the 8 episode season...I assume it’s how many stories Lucasfilm had to fill out a season. I mean, they could stretch it to 10 episodes to make folks feel like there’s "more" but then we'd complain of too much filler. 

I’m hopeful that all of this Star Wars episodic content is the shot in the arm that it seems to be for SW and also makes the upcoming films become more of the special events they were meant to be. 

Edited by joey
  • Like 3

Filoni and Favreau are just like kids playing with their Star Wars figures, except instead of sticking them on rocks or furniture and kite string, they're using real actors and sets and the Volume.  Proof positive was their use of the Imperial Troop Transport, which was an awesome period contemporary toy that was never seen in a single movie.

Based on the midichlorian and genetic science storyline, I have some optimism that, rather than exploiting a multiverse (which I agree would be kind of lame), they're working towards bridging the gaps among all the different incarnations, including the prequel and sequel trilogies.  Hey at least they're giving it the old college try.  If it fails, they can still fall back to the multiple universes and have a great ride liberating Mandalore.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I probably watch that Luke scene 2-3 times per week.

Same. Get teared up anytime I put it on. 

23 hours ago, RC94 said:

It will take 3 of their seasons to equal 1 season of a show on TV, like NCIS.

Everyone has shorter attention spans now.

Plus, in "regular" TV you don't have a tight story arc that is told over 8 episodes, you have a bunch of individual stand-alones, with an occasional loose thread that ties in a larger story arc.

I prefer a shorter, but tighter, story arc.

• Like 1

I finished The Clone Wars tv series. Quite a few low quality episodes but it was well worth watching. At its best it was pretty incredible. I’m tempted to dive into Rebels next

25 minutes ago, sports_fan said:

I finished The Clone Wars tv series. Quite a few low quality episodes but it was well worth watching. At its best it was pretty incredible. I’m tempted to dive into Rebels next

Rebels high's were not as high as The Clone Wars quality peak but it was a more consistent run.  The shorter nature of the Rebels series helped as there was little need for filler episodes.

• Thanks 1

Just finished season 2. The first few episodes were solid like season 1,  but the 2nd half of the season was incredible. I think it moved when that single x-wing showed up.   Just killer. 

And fat Bib Fortuna!!! 😂😂😂😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
  • 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, CentralPA said:

Wonder if they recast.

My guess is her character will be off in the galaxy doing stuff, if she’s ever even mentioned again, and they’ll cast a new female character completely. 

31 minutes ago, Capella said:

My guess is her character will be off in the galaxy doing stuff, if she’s ever even mentioned again, and they’ll cast a new female character completely. 

Or a Stormtrooper finally gets his aim down :devil:

• Laughing 1
1 hour ago, Capella said:

Comparing republicans to Holocaust survivors was definitely going too far. I think they were trying to let it smooth over and then she barfed that take out the other night. 

From what I read, seems she's been skirting the fringe for a while, which is cool. If you want to express your opinion that way, go for it. Just understand the lane you're in and that actions have consequences.

Didn't particularly care for the character anyhow. Moving on.

1 minute ago, beer 30 said:

From what I read, seems she's been skirting the fringe for a while, which is cool. If you want to express your opinion that way, go for it. Just understand the lane you're in and that actions have consequences.

Didn't particularly care for the character anyhow. Moving on.

She knew she was in thin ice and cost herself an extremely primo gig. Incredibly dumb. Just log off. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Capella said:

She knew she was in thin ice and cost herself an extremely primo gig. Incredibly dumb. Just log off. 

Yep, you have a finite career arc (for the most part) just put your head down, rake cash and when you're old and nobody wants to watch you on the big screen anymore, fire away! I think of Chuck Woolery as a good example of this.