What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars Universe (1 Viewer)

I do find it interesting that evidently people don't care too much about spoilers for TV, but it's clamp down on info for the movie.  What did it take - about 6 hours after EP1 aired that baby yoda pics and memes saturated the internet?   
Spoiler culture in general has become really weird. People get violent about it.

Spoiler culture in general has become really weird. People get violent about it.
i get wanting to avoid them.  I like to know as little about a movie I really want to see as I can.  I rarely watch trailers anymore because they usually show too much. 

Just thought it was weird that in the same universe, people didn't seem to be pissed about baby yoda spoilers.  I watched the show a couple days later and had already seen about a dozen pic and posts about it, so I was spoiled.   What would happen if people posted a big reveal about Ep 9 in here a few hours after they saw the movie, or go on FB and do the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
i get wanting to avoid them.  I like to know as little about a movie I really want to see as I can.  I rarely watch trailers anymore because they usually show too much. 

Just thought it was weird that in the same universe, people didn't seem to be pissed about baby yoda spoilers.  I watched the show a couple days later and had already seen about a dozen pic and posts about it, so I was spoiled.   What would happen if people posted a big reveal about Ep 9 in here a few hours after they saw the movie, or go on FB and do the same?
I think Baby Yoda was less a spoiler and more of a what is that I want to find out. 

I think Baby Yoda was less a spoiler and more of a what is that I want to find out. 
Not going to argue too much about what is and isn't a spoiler.  I think baby yoda is a pretty big main detail of the show and a big portion of what is pushing the plot forward.   Just surprised people were so cavalier about it, and nobody seemed to get their panties in a wad about it, but people get crabby at the mere mention of a script leak.  

I do find it interesting that evidently people don't care too much about spoilers for TV, but it's clamp down on info for the movie.  What did it take - about 6 hours after EP1 aired that baby yoda pics and memes saturated the internet?   
I think this kind of makes sense.  It's a lot harder and takes a lot longer for people to go see a movie, which requires going out, possibly finding babysitters, spending money, etc than it does to just sit down and watch a TV show.  So naturally a few days after a new movie comes out there are a lot more people that want to see it but haven't yet than a few days after a new episode of a popular TV show comes out.

ETA: I also think you're being more strict in what constitutes a spoiler with your example vs TV shows than vs. movies.  For instance the mere existence of a character as a spoiler for a TV show, but for a movie the characters are often openly talked about.  For instance we know Palpatine will be in Ep9 and openly talk about it.  Plot results for TV shows aren't really often any more leaked than plot results for movies.

Those people would suck. Nobody should do that. Hope they doesn’t make me bitter. 

I think this kind of makes sense.  It's a lot harder and takes a lot longer for people to go see a movie, which requires going out, possibly finding babysitters, spending money, etc than it does to just sit down and watch a TV show.  So naturally a few days after a new movie comes out there are a lot more people that want to see it but haven't yet than a few days after a new episode of a popular TV show comes out.

ETA: I also think you're being more strict in what constitutes a spoiler with your example vs TV shows than vs. movies.  For instance the mere existence of a character as a spoiler for a TV show, but for a movie the characters are often openly talked about.  For instance we know Palpatine will be in Ep9 and openly talk about it.  Plot results for TV shows aren't really often any more leaked than plot results for movies.
Good points in here.  

As far as your example for Ep9, I would have been happier not knowing about that going into watching he movie this weekend.   One of the reasons I wish I hadn't seen the trailer for the movie.  

i remember seeing the original back when it was released in theaters in 77 and not really liking it enough to watch anymore. 

From the google I have put together that the first 3 are actually 4,5,6  the second batch of three are 1,2,.3  and the current batch of three are 7,8,9.   Is that correct? Are they all the same story, or was there a re-boot, that starts the whole sequence from square one?

So, If I were inclined to watch these movies. should I start with original from 1977 or the second batch of three?.

i remember seeing the original back when it was released in theaters in 77 and not really liking it enough to watch anymore. 

From the google I have put together that the first 3 are actually 4,5,6  the second batch of three are 1,2,.3  and the current batch of three are 7,8,9.   Is that correct? Are they all the same story, or was there a re-boot, that starts the whole sequence from square one?

So, If I were inclined to watch these movies. should I start with original from 1977 or the second batch of three?.
Umm...

Accidentally letting slip a spoiler is one thing.  Going outside of a crowded theater to a bunch of people lined up for a huge film and yelling out a spoiler to intentionally spoil things is another.  That is person is simply an ####### that has a beating coming to them not because they spoiled a movie, but because they're a terrible person.  That's just someone that gets off on ruining someone else's day.  Whether it's doing that or slapping an ice cream cone out of a 4 year old's hands, someone that gets off from trying to intentionally ruin other people's days is going to get wrecked eventually.

No Schtick.  I don't think I've seen any of the Avenger type movies either,  i was never a comic book kid so maybe that's why.

I felt like I was missing out on something so I did try watching Deadpool.  I maybe got 15 20 minutes in and shut it off.  
You're probably good then. I don't think this stuff will appeal to you. 

Not wanting the movie spoiled is being bitter? :lmao:  what??
I think he just meant to relax.  Nobody's going to post outright spoilers from the leak here. I mean, I'd love to discuss the leaks with others who have read them, but am avoiding because it'd be easy for someone else to accidentally reveal spoilered text in the thread.  

If you're that die hard about avoiding everything, my advice is to stay off the internet completely this week.  

I think he just meant to relax.  Nobody's going to post outright spoilers from the leak here. I mean, I'd love to discuss the leaks with others who have read them, but am avoiding because it'd be easy for someone else to accidentally reveal spoilered text in the thread.  

If you're that die hard about avoiding everything, my advice is to stay off the internet completely this week.  
It was one post saying can we chill with the leaks talk. This is just beyond stupid to even still be discussing. 

If there's one thing I've learned over the last few years...critic reviews are completely meaningless.  I'd much rather get reactions from fans that have seen it.  
The only opinion I ever care about when it comes to movies and music is mine. Who cares what anyone thinks when it comes to movies or music? It is art and it is all subjective. I think movies and music critics are the dreck of media. Just awful. Experts in what? Absolutely nothing. Pure opinion on things that are purely subjective.

12PM Saturday at the IMAX. Let's Go!!!!!!!!

The only opinion I ever care about when it comes to movies, music is mine. Who cares what anyone thinks when it comes to movies or music? It is art and it is all subjective. I think movies and music critics are the dreck of media. Just awful. Experts in what? Absolutely nothing. Pure opinion on things that are purely subjective.

12PM Saturday at the IMAX. Let's Go!!!!!!!!
:lmao:

Totally agree.  I get it, some people are great writers and do a great job breaking down movies.  Sometimes I like to read a good breakdown.  But you always have to remember that you're reading one person's opinion.

The above comment about bad reviews caused me to look, and yes this is getting a very bad RT score.  But in the end, the only thing that matters is whether I sit down and enjoy the movie.  

It goes well beyond that but I won't rehash it all again. Glad you enjoyed it. 
My kids and I have watched a bunch over the past few weeks. The Force Awakens is an excellent flick. The Last Jedi (after a couple viewings) is pretty good as well.

Cannot wait until Friday. :)

ETA: I am a SW dork.

If there's one thing I've learned over the last few years...critic reviews are completely meaningless.  I'd much rather get reactions from fans that have seen it.  
Seems like a lot of critics are hating that it distances itself from the last movie. Which is far from a deal breaker for me, since I didn’t like the last one. 

I saw this with my wife and 2 boys (14 and 9) last night and we all enjoyed it so much!

I went in with an open mind, positive vibes, and no preconceived axes to grind. I think that helps.

Most importantly, my sons love it and that's what matters.

Ignore critics, reviews, etc and just go and enjoy and decide what YOU think about it.

If we ever get another trilogy, they should give it to Jon Favreau.  Give him a billion dollars, have him direct all three and film them all together.  

Or just say #### it, and give one movie to Tarantino, one movie to Wes Anderson, and one movie to the Coen brothers.

If we ever get another trilogy, they should give it to Jon Favreau.  Give him a billion dollars, have him direct all three and film them all together.  

Or just say #### it, and give one movie to Tarantino, one movie to Wes Anderson, and one movie to the Coen brothers.
I think you want LESS established directors on the next trilogy, but a STRONGER story team that defines the through lines, plot points and key characters to hit, then get good directors to execute on that vision.

(basically, the Marvel model)

I think you want LESS established directors on the next trilogy, but a STRONGER story team that defines the through lines, plot points and key characters to hit, then get good directors to execute on that vision.

Jon Favreau would murder this. He is right.

I chose Favreau because he's behind the Mandalorian and love it or hate it, that show actually feels like its set in the Star Wars universe, the first in a long, long time.  

I chose Favreau because he's behind the Mandalorian and love it or hate it, that show actually feels like its set in the Star Wars universe, the first in a long, long time.  
Agreed. Mandalorian is really top notch work and reinvigorating for the Star Wars franchise and Lucasfilm...and fans too of course.

I think someone like Favreau would be great to be on the writing team to come up with the 3 story frame work, direct the first one, and then hand off to others directors for the 2nd and 3rd, like George did with the original trilogy.

I saw this with my wife and 2 boys (14 and 9) last night and we all enjoyed it so much!

I went in with an open mind, positive vibes, and no preconceived axes to grind. I think that helps.

Most importantly, my sons love it and that's what matters.

Ignore critics, reviews, etc and just go and enjoy and decide what YOU think about it.
BUT if you decide you didn't love it, be prepared to be asked why you cant enjoy anything and why you have to nitpick everything. ;)

here is a spoiler there are credits at the end and bam brohans that was an epic burn on you take that to the bank 

BUT if you decide you didn't love it, be prepared to be asked why you cant enjoy anything and why you have to nitpick everything. ;)
I try not to go into popcorn movies with axes to grind but I'm usually on the much more open-minded, happily-entertained end of the spectrum from most of my friends in this business.

Since this was a conversation last night at dinner after the movie, and at lunch today with work-mates, here are my updated rankings:

1) Ep 5 (Empire)

2) Rogue One

3) tie - Ep 4 (New Hope)  and Ep 7 (Force Awakens)

4) tie - Ep 6 (RotJ) and Ep 9 (Rise of Skywalker)

5) Solo (undeservedly panned. Solid movie with poor post-Ep8 timing)

6) Ep 8

7) tie Ep 2 and Ep 3

😎 Ep 1

1. ROTJ - This one has the most nostalgia for me as its the first I saw in theaters as a child.  

2. ESB

3. TLJ - I like it more and more with each viewing and have come to realize that not only is Johnson a better director than Abrams, but that ignoring what Abrams did in TFA for a lot of things may not have been the worst thing.  

4. ANH

5. TFA

6. Rogue 1

7. RotS

8. Solo

9. TPM - Don't understand how these last two aren't on the bottom of everyone's list.  The dialog and acting are atrocious. Jar Jar Binks is in them. RotS is saved by a much better script and standout acting from Ewan McGregor.  

10. AOTC - See above

I try not to go into popcorn movies with axes to grind but I'm usually on the much more open-minded, happily-entertained end of the spectrum from most of my friends in this business.

Since this was a conversation last night at dinner after the movie, and at lunch today with work-mates, here are my updated rankings:

1) Ep 5 (Empire)

2) Rogue One

3) tie - Ep 4 (New Hope)  and Ep 7 (Force Awakens)

4) tie - Ep 6 (RotJ) and Ep 9 (Rise of Skywalker)

5) Solo (undeservedly panned. Solid movie with poor post-Ep8 timing)

6) Ep 8

7) tie Ep 2 and Ep 3

😎 Ep 1
Who does this?  You guys must know some odd people IRL or something.   I can't think of anybody that I know who pays $20+ a tix to go to a movie with an agenda to tear it apart.   Just seems too often if people don't like something it gets twisted into that - as though they weren't able to have an open mind and THAT's why they didn't like something.  Couldn't be just because they didn't like it.  

Anyway - I like the list.  Off the top of my head, mine is similar:

Tier 1:    Empire

Tier 2:   Rogue One,  A New Hope

Tier 3:   Force Awakens, Return of the Jedi, Last Jedi, Revenge of the Sith

Then they would go in order: Ep 1, Ep2, and Solo.   

Who does this?  You guys must know some odd people IRL or something.   I can't think of anybody that I know who pays $20+ a tix to go to a movie with an agenda to tear it apart.   Just seems too often if people don't like something it gets twisted into that - as though they weren't able to have an open mind and THAT's why they didn't like something.  Couldn't be just because they didn't like it. 
People who work in the film business tend to do this. Watch loads of films. Always comparing the new film to "the best film ever in that genre" as a means to tear it down, etc.

I'm in the business but DON'T watch lots of movies (it's my day job but my outside of work creative passion is music, not movies) so I don't go in with a "critic's pen and pad" ready to write down everything that bugged me or were poor choices. I come out and was either overall happy or overall let down. That's not to say that I can't have discussions that break down the plot points, details, characters, etc. but I'm generally anti-critic (as a song writer and artist) since it's so easy to say "that sucks" and I just want to turn around and say "so go make something better".

Users who are viewing this thread