What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Callaway - WR Dolphins now (1 Viewer)

4-20 isn't going to cut it, but if he keeps getting 10 targets per game, then his production should improve greatly.
From Tierod: 5 passes, 1 completion for 2 yards.

From Baker: 5 passes, 3 completions for 18 yards. More reps and this should go up.

May drop Godwin TB for him depending on how mnf goes.  Kid is faaast.  Hope he knows the playbook and route tree.
TT missed him on three deep shots.  He had to wait each time..  The over the shoulder (top) was tough... can't fault him there. As I recall, the announcers got on him once for giving up on a play.  While I'm optimistic - there are reasons he fell in the draft.  Just pot would be one thing but stolen credit cards are another.  Not sure if character prevents this guy from living up to his God given potential.  Hoping he is not too cocky to understand how to succeed in the league.  Just have to hope and watch this play out.

May drop Godwin TB for him depending on how mnf goes.  Kid is faaast.  Hope he knows the playbook and route tree.
Godwin is a good comp FF wise.  Can see them finishing around the same spot at year end.  But Godwin has 3 TDs in 3 weeks and is a beast in his own right. That would be a tricky call for me.

ETA: I own both in my main..

Last edited by a moderator:
Godwin is a good comp FF wise.  Can see them finishing around the same spot at year end.  But Godwin has 3 TDs in 3 weeks and is a beast in his own right. That would be a tricky call for me.

ETA: I own both in my main..
Yeah, I agree with this. I have Callaway and may consider nabbing Godwin.  I know he had drops last night, but he stayed aggressive and was getting open/looks.  Have to like Callaways chances a little more moving forward with Mayfield. 

FWIW Godwin has @Chi then the Bye week so he's a hold.  I can easily see Callaway getting loose for a long one in Oakland this week so Callaway>Godwin for wk 4 at least.

I think Godwin and this guy are interchangeable in terms of opportunity but they're both QB-dependent. Fitz and Mayfield benefit each, respective.
In terms of opportunity I can see it being a wash because both passing attacks are kind of crowded but Callaway played on 81% of the snaps in week 2 and 90% last week. Godwin on the other hand has played on 50% of the snaps for two weeks now. I always feel more comfortable when I know my guy is actually going to be on the field a lot, at least Callaway doesn't rotate with someone. 

I posed this question in the "week 4 waiver" thread, but this also seems a good place to bring on a discussion since they're both around the same ranking/ value; 

Callaway vs. this week's "hot ww add" Boyd - who holds the edge for the ROS?

I'm definitely drinking the Callaway cool-aid & with the upgrade in Mayfield from Taylor, his outlook is even brighter, but I think I'm still ranking him just below Boyd...especially with the potential injury to AJ Green. 

What are other's thoughts? 

I don't see how anyone can watch that game last night and NOT be impressed at how often he got open. Sure, he made a mistake here and there. He's a rookie. The potential is off the charts though.
His talent is unquestioned.

His maturity, focus and what is between his ears is off the charts questionable. That is the gamble with this kid.

In terms of opportunity I can see it being a wash because both passing attacks are kind of crowded but Callaway played on 81% of the snaps in week 2 and 90% last week. Godwin on the other hand has played on 50% of the snaps for two weeks now. I always feel more comfortable when I know my guy is actually going to be on the field a lot, at least Callaway doesn't rotate with someone. 
That's great info. Thanks. I feel the same way you do about being on the field vs. being game-script dependent in a three-wide set.  

I think Godwin and this guy are interchangeable in terms of opportunity but they're both QB-dependent. Fitz and Mayfield benefit each, respective.  
I think Godwin will do well with Winston if the Bucs decide to give him the job back eventually. Godwin had a touchdown from Winston in at least two of the preseason games, and did well with him in the last two games of 2017.

simey said:
I think Godwin will do well with Winston if the Bucs decide to give him the job back eventually. Godwin had a touchdown from Winston in at least two of the preseason games, and did well with him in the last two games of 2017.
Ah, if so, I retract that. It seems like snap counts are the most important thing then, not QBs.  

Ah, if so, I retract that. It seems like snap counts are the most important thing then, not QBs.  
Callaway it may be both, and it would be nice if Godwin got more snap counts. I just think he will be ok with either of his QBs. I actually have both of these guys, and I like the QB change in Cleveland.

Would anyone have the stones to play him over k. Drake, g. Allison, Godwin, and Allen Robinson in standard scoring this week? 

I'll bite... I'm starting Calloway over Chris Hogan vs. Miami and Matt Breida @ LA Chargers. He and Mayfield have a good connection and if he gets 10 targets again I think he'll do well vs. an iffy Oakland secondary.

Good luck to those rollin w him this Sunday.   Mostly as a browns fan.  Decided to hang on to Godwin. 

Should be a interesting game.

I saw a few breakdowns of the Raider defense and it is basically the same, lack of pressure so they have to play a lot of two-deep safeties which would bode well for TE David Njuko and WR Jarvis Landry and even WR Rahard HIggins but not so much for a deep threat like Antonio Callaway.

Just a caution in case Callaway does not blow up this week because the Raiders don't have the pass rush and are playing a lot of cover-two shell.

Here is one quick breakdown by former Browns QB Bernie Kosar.

Film Room with Kosar and Fox: Raiders Defense | Cleveland Browns

I saw a few breakdowns of the Raider defense and it is basically the same, lack of pressure so they have to play a lot of two-deep safeties which would bode well for TE David Njuko and WR Jarvis Landry and even WR Rahard HIggins but not so much for a deep threat like Antonio Callaway.

Just a caution in case Callaway does not blow up this week because the Raiders don't have the pass rush and are playing a lot of cover-two shell.

Here is one quick breakdown by former Browns QB Bernie Kosar.

Film Room with Kosar and Fox: Raiders Defense | Cleveland Browns
They are giving up a lot of big pass plays. Callaway has the look a of a guy who has speed a D can't f with. 

I'm benching him for now.  Wish I could get him in there just in case, but Id have to take out OJ Howard (TE premium), Collins, or Mike Williams to put him in.  I'm a little tempted to roll with him over Williams though.

I'll bite... I'm starting Calloway over Chris Hogan vs. Miami and Matt Breida @ LA Chargers. He and Mayfield have a good connection and if he gets 10 targets again I think he'll do well vs. an iffy Oakland secondary.
Yea - it is the targets on top of the big play looks that are appealing.  

Antonio Callaway caught 3-of-9 targets for 54 yards in the Browns' Week 4 loss to the Raiders.

It was an eventful day at the office for Callaway, who committed several drops and nearly lost a fumble on a fourth-quarter punt return, but Cleveland recovered. Callaway nearly hit pay dirt on a 51-yard reception, only to be tackled down at the one-yard line before Carlos Hyde punched it in. The good news is Callaway has commanded nine and ten targets in the last two games; the bad news is he has only 74 scoreless yards to show for it. Callaway will remain an exciting-if-volatile WR4/flex option in Week 5 against the Ravens, who are getting back suspended top CB Jimmy Smith.

Sep 30 - 8:56 PM

If Baker Mayfield was supposed to come in and be the savior for Cleveland, he fell short. However, the rookie put out far more good tape than bad in this one and kept the Browns competitive in a cross-time-zone road trip. Jarvis Landry was his favorite receiver, leading the team in targets and air yards. Mayfield’s lead also gave us the best game we’ve seen so far from David Njoku with five catches for 52 yards on seven targets. Antonio Callaway was in the mix with nine targets but frankly, the rookie receiver doesn’t look all that good. He’s made several mistakes and often appears in the wrong place on his routes.
Yahoo Week 4 Fantasy recap

EDIT: Also this is a full Callaway gamut:

…Antonio Callaway was one of my favorite deep plays this week, and he proceeded to: be overthrown on a would-be wide open 50-yard TD, tackled at the one-yard line after another 50+ yard gain, mess up a carry at the goal line, drop a two-point conversion, drop a screen and lose a fumble on a kick return (later reversed). Other than that, he was great.
You like the varied usage but yikes...

He's a relatively raw 21 year old rookie with obvious talent.  Too early to count on that in a redraft league because guys like JuJu are few and far between, but there aren't many stashes I'd want to have more in a dynasty league - and he's already more than just a stash.

At some point, he'll have one of those games where he gets the same 9 or 10 targets, but he turns them into 7 catches for 160 yards and a TD.  It's in there, might be a year or two away from a real break out, but by then he'll be far more expensive in a dynasty league.

Really really minor gripe here, feel free to ignore. Using his overturned fumble as a gripe against him seems sorta weird. He was fairly obviously on the ground when the ball came out and since it was reversed it’s literally not a fumble yet the author of that blurb mentions it as a pile on to his day. Just seems dumb to lump that in. Carry on.

Really really minor gripe here, feel free to ignore. Using his overturned fumble as a gripe against him seems sorta weird. He was fairly obviously on the ground when the ball came out and since it was reversed it’s literally not a fumble yet the author of that blurb mentions it as a pile on to his day. Just seems dumb to lump that in. Carry on.
Right and the goal line carry was just a stupid design, and call, that the Raiders saw coming like guessing the right play on Tecmo Bowl.

Baker missed him on what would have been a huge TD. The drops need dealt with but he's a hands catcher so its not an issue. Doing something stupid is. The greatest WR ever had drop issues his first handful of games and was being declared a bust.

Speaking Monday, Browns coach Hue Jackson said Antonio Callaway's playing time could be dialed back.

"Maybe not playing as many plays as he plays in a game will help him get to step back, take a look, take a blow come back and do it again," Jackson said. "I like him. Obviously, he needs to start faster in games." Callaway has been extraordinarily mistake prone thus far this season, catching just 10-of-24 targets and committing a host of blunders. His speed has been as advertised, but Callaway simply has not been polished. We would still expect him to play plenty of snaps, as the Browns need his big-play threat. Rod Streater or Damion Ratley would be two candidates to see more outside snaps if Callaway's are curtailed.

ABORT!! ABORT!!

Users who are viewing this thread