What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Gems - Week 10 (1 Viewer)

Classic case of chasing points.
Very possible, but as I said above I like his recent target totals, especially over the last 3 weeks.

He's averaging NINE targets over the last 3 games, and over 7 targets in the last 5.

Also read that he ran the most routes outside of Evans on Sunday.

From a PPR perspective, I'm interested. Not expecting any more 2 TD games, but a nice PPR floor.

Very possible, but as I said above I like his recent target totals, especially over the last 3 weeks.

He's averaging NINE targets over the last 3 games, and over 7 targets in the last 5.

Also read that he ran the most routes outside of Evans on Sunday.

From a PPR perspective, I'm interested. Not expecting any more 2 TD games, but a nice PPR floor.
good luck - he's been around a long time. I'm not sure a three game sample size tells any story. I don't agree that his floor is all that great, as with all the weapons TB has he could see 2 targets this week and no one would blink an eye.

good luck - he's been around a long time. I'm not sure a three game sample size tells any story. I don't agree that his floor is all that great, as with all the weapons TB has he could see 2 targets this week and no one would blink an eye.
Certainly possible, but can you think of anyone averaging 9 targets a game who isn't owned in most fantasy leagues?

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Anyway, that's why I'm interested. He's currently getting a ton of volume playing out of the slot on a team that has the worst defense in the NFL and will be playing catch up a LOT.

ETA: Just did some checking out of curiosity, and Humphries has more targets on the season (50) than Desean Jackson (47) AND Chris Godwin (47).

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly possible, but can you think of anyone averaging 9 targets a game who isn't owned in most fantasy leagues?

Anyway, that's why I'm interested. He's currently getting a ton of volume playing out of the slot on a team that has the worst defense in the NFL and will be playing catch up a LOT.
over a three game sample size?

I'm not going to say don't pick him up if you want him, but I don't think he has any upside at all - he's far from a "gem" but I guess if you're in a bind he'll do.

Kelvin had 9 targets to lead the team, Pryor had 5.  Not saying those numbers won't flip-flop in week 10, but any scrub WW WR that gets 9 targets is worth a look in deeper leagues.  Any desperate owner that started him got 8 PPR pts, which is very acceptable.
Just seems concerning. When did Pryor sign? Tuesday? So maybe he was at practice Wednesday... and he was outsnapping Kelvin on Sunday. Just seems like it wouldn't be wise to chase those targets. I'd rather pick up Pryor than Kelvin at this point. Another week or two in the offense and maybe he can actually do something with his targets unlike Kelvin. 

Josh Malone, Josh Malone, Josh Malone... maybe Cody Core
I'd love to see Malone get some opportunity (also would like to see Tate get a few targets as well) but they seem to auto insert Erickson whenever they need to fill someone in at WR.  Nothing against Erickson, but you pretty much know what your getting from him and with seemingly limited upside with it. 

Skoo said:

ETA: Just did some checking out of curiosity, and Humphries has more targets on the season (50) than Desean Jackson (47) AND Chris Godwin (47).
I got Hopkins and Sanders on bye and AJ Green injured. So yeah, pretty desprate to start Humphries. Also had to trade David Johnson for more help at WR ( S Watkins).

Free agent WR Brandon Marshall worked out for the Saints on Tuesday.

Fellow free agents Kamar Aiken and Dez Bryant are also working out. NFL.com's Mike Garofolo reports it's more than the Saints doing due diligence, and that one of the wideouts will be signed.
Saints don't have a all jump ball guy since Brandon Coleman. Could be a good chance we see Dez Bryant signed here, much better optics than Marshall. Cam Meredith has been sort of a bust for the Saints and Tre'Quan Smith is still a rookie.

TheWinz said:
Kelvin Benjamin - the targets are there (WR32), the yards are not (WR61), season high 9 targets in week 9, no fewer than 5 since week 2.  
Except he only tries on about two of his targets. Classic underachiever that had one big rookie year, got hurt, and decided not to play hard anymore.

Saints don't have a all jump ball guy since Brandon Coleman. Could be a good chance we see Dez Bryant signed here, much better optics than Marshall. Cam Meredith has been sort of a bust for the Saints and Tre'Quan Smith is still a rookie.
I think Marshall is a better fit and he is probably closer to being in football shape.

Deep leagues - Bruce Ellington has always been a weapon in the slot when healthy and just signed with the Lions. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him get 80%+ of Golden Tate’s previous role. Lions looked absolutely awful without Tate last week. 

And I'm curious where Abdullah lands now that he’s been released from the Lions. I thought he showed some flashes this preseason but the team had already moved on. If he lands in Houston, let’s say, that becomes kind of interesting to me. 

I’ll keep stumping for Maurice Harris over in his thread. Slot receivers against the Bucs are $$, and I think the guy has some skills. 

And for the deepest - Byron Marshall is supposed to be activated off IR soon for the Redskins. Word is they liked him better than Bibbs, and who knows what’s up with Thompson moving forward. 

Have we discussed Jeff Heuermann, TE? 
I'm interested.  Per FBG updates, he had as many catches in Week 9 as he had in the previous five weeks combined, so is this really someone who gets dependable looks/targets or does he look good based on just this past week?

Needing to replace Rudolph, and looking at options to gauge whether to replace him for just the week or drop outright. Not great options out there given the sacrcity of dependable perfomers this year, and the related fact that my league has turned into a TE hoarding league of sorts.

So between guys like Heuermann, or other low-en but potentially more consistent in terms of looks (Seals-Jones, Vance McDonald, even Vannett), who do you think is a better option this coming week, and do any of these guys replace Rudolph? My instinct is not to replace Rudolph outright, as despite not getting tons of opportunity, he sees the field a ton, but it's not as if I can depend on him for points.

bumpman said:
Dalton has a long history of not doing well when AJ Green doesn’t play.  It’s not pretty.
Hopefully with Gio Bernard (likely) and John Ross (iffy but could happen) returning it can help out.

I just think Dalton in general is not 100% trustworthy but given the other options that are out there he's solid.

General WW strategy question: How do you decide when to use a priority vs. taking your chances that the guy will clear waivers? Larry Fitz is out there, and I'd like to pick him up, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't get him. I have the No. 4 waiver claim and might want to preserve it for later in the season, so I'm thinking of rolling the dice.

General WW strategy question: How do you decide when to use a priority vs. taking your chances that the guy will clear waivers? Larry Fitz is out there, and I'd like to pick him up, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't get him. I have the No. 4 waiver claim and might want to preserve it for later in the season, so I'm thinking of rolling the dice.
Unless your team is very depleted at WR position I'd hang tight. 

Unless your team is very depleted at WR position I'd hang tight. 
Nah, not really. I have bye-week fill-ins the next couple weeks, but have both Godwin and OJ Howard to fill the gaps, so it's not urgent (I would drop Godwin to get Fitz).

Honestly, it's more that I'm never in this position. Usually playing the WW like a fiddle and rarely climbing above the bottom three in priority. This year has been unusually stable.

Anyway, I know I'm getting into WDIS territory here. Appreciate the perspective.

I'm interested.  Per FBG updates, he had as many catches in Week 9 as he had in the previous five weeks combined, so is this really someone who gets dependable looks/targets or does he look good based on just this past week?

Needing to replace Rudolph, and looking at options to gauge whether to replace him for just the week or drop outright. Not great options out there given the sacrcity of dependable perfomers this year, and the related fact that my league has turned into a TE hoarding league of sorts.

So between guys like Heuermann, or other low-en but potentially more consistent in terms of looks (Seals-Jones, Vance McDonald, even Vannett), who do you think is a better option this coming week, and do any of these guys replace Rudolph? My instinct is not to replace Rudolph outright, as despite not getting tons of opportunity, he sees the field a ton, but it's not as if I can depend on him for points.

Sitting in the same boat w/ Rudolph.    Kicking myself for not stashing OJ Howard earlier this year.    Maybe Herndon this week, if available?

Sitting in the same boat w/ Rudolph.    Kicking myself for not stashing OJ Howard earlier this year.    Maybe Herndon this week, if available?
I am kicking myself for not getting Kittle when he landed on the waiver wire after WK2. I thought he had more upside, but was too focused on Rudolph's history and name brand and his usage in the offense. Was worried seeing Thielen's usage all over the field that Rudolph would be called to block more, and it's exactly what happened, capping Rudolph's historic upside in seeing consistent targets and being used a lot in the RZ. 

knowledge dropper said:
In a league with Clement and Adams on wire and in bye week injury purgatory at RB this week.  Who is the better add?

I have Adams>>Clement but don’t follow Eagles that closely.  
Clement has some injury they haven't talked much about. it depends if he healed up over the bye, or if it is something he can't fix until after the season. i think i would lean Adams until i see something from Clement

I am kicking myself for not getting Kittle when he landed on the waiver wire after WK2. I thought he had more upside, but was too focused on Rudolph's history and name brand and his usage in the offense. Was worried seeing Thielen's usage all over the field that Rudolph would be called to block more, and it's exactly what happened, capping Rudolph's historic upside in seeing consistent targets and being used a lot in the RZ. 
Yup,  he's TD or bust and I wasn't paying enough attention to this.

Hopefully with Gio Bernard (likely) and John Ross (iffy but could happen) returning it can help out.

I just think Dalton in general is not 100% trustworthy but given the other options that are out there he's solid.
Tweet

From this tweet:

"Andy Dalton has basically played 13 career games without AJ Green. The Bengals are 5-7-1 in those matches. Dalton has completed 284 of 468 passes (60.7%) for 3,148 yards (6.7) with 12 TDs and 10 INTs. That's all good for an 80.3 passer rating."

Deep leagues - Bruce Ellington has always been a weapon in the slot when healthy and just signed with the Lions. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him get 80%+ of Golden Tate’s previous role. Lions looked absolutely awful without Tate last week. 

And I'm curious where Abdullah lands now that he’s been released from the Lions. I thought he showed some flashes this preseason but the team had already moved on. If he lands in Houston, let’s say, that becomes kind of interesting to me. 

I’ll keep stumping for Maurice Harris over in his thread. Slot receivers against the Bucs are $$, and I think the guy has some skills. 

And for the deepest - Byron Marshall is supposed to be activated off IR soon for the Redskins. Word is they liked him better than Bibbs, and who knows what’s up with Thompson moving forward. 
I am looking at Ellington as a WW pickup...  not sure who to release (Barber or Was DEF), but I was thinking he was a sleeper early in year and got good looks Week 2 Preseason & Week 1 vs NEP (potential challenge to Fuller IMO).  The injury was Grade 3 Hamstring tear in Sept.  If he is fully recovered, I think he offers Stafford a reliable target from the slot. 

knowledge dropper said:
In a league with Clement and Adams on wire and in bye week injury purgatory at RB this week.  Who is the better add?

I have Adams>>Clement but don’t follow Eagles that closely.  
Clement has had some kind of injury. But Adams hasn't really been used in the passing game. So I'd go Adams if you're hoping for a random goaline TD.
Clement has some injury they haven't talked much about. it depends if he healed up over the bye, or if it is something he can't fix until after the season. i think i would lean Adams until i see something from Clement

I agree....  Clement & Smallwood are not doing the job in Philly as "between the tackles RB".  They are suitable at catching & sweep runs when the Def is having to plan for up the gut runs.  Adams is still raw IMO, but I like his potential.  He did have >30 rec at Notre Dame so he can catch and he is more a crease/power runner then the others.  

I think the RBBC will make Adams TD dependent, but he is worth a WW look. 

I am looking at Ellington as a WW pickup...  not sure who to release (Barber or Was DEF), but I was thinking he was a sleeper early in year and got good looks Week 2 Preseason & Week 1 vs NEP (potential challenge to Fuller IMO).  The injury was Grade 3 Hamstring tear in Sept.  If he is fully recovered, I think he offers Stafford a reliable target from the slot. 
Not sure if it helps but I plan on dropping Barber tonight for Ellington or another possible decent RB.  Barber has killed me when I played him.  Those types of players are not useful on your roster.  It is time to move on. 

Brandon Powell or Ellington?
Powell (undrafted)- Week 8 & 9 = ZERO TARGETS  .... Week 9 = ZERO SNAPS (after Tate traded)

TJ Jones (6th round pick) - Week  9 = 2 Targets ....  Jones was "heir apparent" to Tate's slot role..... but Stafford did not trust him & no chemistry ....and this was key to the  7 of the 10 sacks Minn Def got on Stafford.  TJ Jones does not have the experience to handle it yet.... maybe later.

Why pickup Ellington (3rd round) if TJ Jones or Powell are suitable from the slot?   Ellington will be the pickup here

Theory is Ellington will get 80% of Tate's slot targets.  He can read Def better to alter route to help QB like Tate did. 

Not sure if it helps but I plan on dropping Barber tonight for Ellington or another possible decent RB.  Barber has killed me when I played him.  Those types of players are not useful on your roster.  It is time to move on. 
Another RB in that same vein is Crowell. I think he can be safely dropped. Id rather have McGuire than Crowell at this point.

Agreed.  McGuire is another RB that may be replacing Barber.
Well, I am holding both right now... been a struggle to replace my RB2 (with Kamara but lost Ajayi).  

I am thinking 1 of my 4 needs to produce -->  Josh Adams, Elijah McGuire, P Barber or Shady McCoy..... 

Adams showed well in 2018 preseason but McGuire has shown more in live action (2017). 

IMO, McGuire is the more talented/youth, but the Offense is not really geared to his skill other than PPR value. 

Birdie048 said:
I agree....  Clement & Smallwood are not doing the job in Philly as "between the tackles RB".  They are suitable at catching & sweep runs when the Def is having to plan for up the gut runs.  Adams is still raw IMO, but I like his potential.  He did have >30 rec at Notre Dame so he can catch and he is more a crease/power runner then the others.  

I think the RBBC will make Adams TD dependent, but he is worth a WW look. 
Looks like Sproles is back this week.  Could he be the one to own going forward?

Does Sproles most likely render Clement even more marginalised ?  

Im considering just dropping Clement for a high value handcuff like Ware or Brown at this point in the season 

Does Sproles most likely render Clement even more marginalised ?  

Im considering just dropping Clement for a high value handcuff like Ware or Brown at this point in the season 
I'm taking the contrarian route... Clement, in my opinion is their best all-around back. He's good at the goal line, and has great hands and quickness. Plus, he's kind of a load at 220. He's been batting a quad injury, and I'm betting the team has been down-playing it. With the bye week to heal, I'm taking a wait and see approach with him to see how things shake out this week.

Redskins lost two starters on their O-Line for the season and Trent Williams had thumb surgery in Week 9. Will Alex Smith have time to throw?
Smith had his best game of the season passing last week with the O-line injuries and said he felt comfortable in the pocket. What's going to take a hit going forward is their running game. He's going to have to pass.

Due to injuries, the TE waiver wasteland, and being in a big league (16 teams), had to play him last week.  Lucky to say the least.

His snap counts and targets have ticked up the last couple of weeks.  I don't expect him to be the team leader in targets every week but given the garbage that is the TE position this year, unless you have one of the top 4-5 guys, he's got as good a potential as anyone else out there. 

I think the Philly backfield is one to completely avoid at this point unless your in bye week hell and desperate. 4 backs now and no one is a true starter.

Users who are viewing this thread