What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire & FAAB Discussion heading into the Week 2 games (1 Viewer)

Me personally:
  • I am of course wanting a piece of the Likely action. I currently have a big at 21% but honestly I think I would need to bump it into the 40's to have a chance with this league. I have Pitts who scares me on a weekly basis. What is a reasonable FAAB % in your opinions for Likely?
  • Bigsby getting the same # of rushes as ETN has me thinking there could be a long-term major role for him in that O. Might throw a chunk on him.
  • Mayfield looked unbelievable so I might try and sneak him in for around 5%.
  • Being an Achane owner, I feel like I need to get Wilson Jr, especially if Mostert is hurt too.
  • Other fliers I might put in are for Wan'Dale or Whittington with Puka out a month.
I dropped Wicks and Gabe Davis to hopefully make a couple of the above work.
The league's where I have TE covered are the ones where Likely is out there, but I'm still putting in a "keep you honest bid"...5 percent. Cant go more but don't want him getting away for nothing

Pretty "Keep your powder dry" kind of week, a move anyone starting williams with mayfield on the wire though, thats a quick flip, Williams has much to prove

With both Mostert and Achane banged up on a short week, Jaylen Wright could be worth a flier
Jeff Wilson Jr the better one week flier if you're desperate.
I'm getting some shares of Wilson where possible. Wright could mix in as well but he's been scooped up in almost all leagues. Maybe with his zero someone might drop him in redraft if they don't follow the injury report. Keep your eyes peeled folks.

PIT WR with the most snaps yesterday?

Van Jefferson
Side note on VJ - saw some clips someone posted yesterday and man oh man for a veteran WR he does not block well. Zero understanding of balance, leverage and force. I know it is hyperbole but I could block better than he did last game. At least 3 blocking clips where he looked like a fish out of water. If he can't block in PIT in a Arthur Smith offense he might not be long for this world.

I have 1st waiver priority but I am not sure I will use it. I have LaPorta at TE so I don't feel the need to pick up Likely. Bigsby, Dorch, Rams receivers Robinson etc.

Just nothing that excites me.
I agree if you don't run FAAB and its waiver priority you have to be a bit more picky. Only guy I probably would consider would be Dobbins if he happens to be on waivers.

If he keeps the starting role he's this year's Kyren
I mean, I guess define "starting". Edwards out carried him 11 to 10 in the game. However, Dobbins won the snap count 38 to 24.

Dobbins looked like the better runner Week 1 no doubt, but I want to see him out touch/carry Edwards for a couple more weeks before anointing him the 'starter'
Fair points and it could just be a split backfield. Having said that Dobbins is younger and more talented than Gus IMO. Both had ACL repairs but Dobbins has one achillies injury to his name. The one thing with achillies is if you did one there is always a chance you pop the other (see Akers) as they are often a length issue but once they are repaired they are rare to occur again especially the farther out you get.

Thing is I don't think anyone can wait a week. You either get Dobbins now and take the risk or miss out on him. Is the risk worth it? I'm a risky guy.

Is Mayfield on the same level as other second tier QB's like Stafford or Goff?
He could be. He's got the weapons at WR and at RB. Everyone has a bad taste in their mouth from when he was a Brown. But that always tastes bad - they always find a way to screw things up.

Last year Mayfield was QB 10 (I know a bunch of injuries at the QB position). He did put up 4000 yards passing and 28 TDs. If you are in need of a QB I'd be fine starting him most weeks but would lean Stafford and Goff over him. 2 QB or SF leagues Mayfield is a fantastic 2nd option.

Tyler Johnson, DeMarcus Robinson and Jordan Whittington. All should benefit from the Puka news in the short term.
I would rank them as follows: Robinson, Whittington, Johnson. I do believe Whittington has the most upside, but I think Robinson has more fantasy appeal in the short term.
Seems odd Whittington barely played and Johnson played so well. Wonder what the plans are going forward...

Careful with Alec Pierce. He only got 3 targets and one was a miracle throw. Downs was out and Mitchell is still a rookie learning the ropes. Mitchell could get more reps as the season goes on. Mitchell would be best in the slot but that is where Downs plays. Hard to say long term if Mitchell is out wide and takes over for Alec or how it goes Downs.... See what I did there.

He might be ok in a very deep league as a desperate flex play but I would not feel comfortable starting him in an offense that only threw the ball 20 times. If he doesn't catch a TD I don't see how he is startable.

Bigsby, Irving, then Likely (Andrews owner). $21 a piece as of right now in a 12 team league start 2 receivers and my backs are Kyren and Ford. In that order.

Tyler Johnson, DeMarcus Robinson and Jordan Whittington. All should benefit from the Puka news in the short term.
I would rank them as follows: Robinson, Whittington, Johnson. I do believe Whittington has the most upside, but I think Robinson has more fantasy appeal in the short term.
I think Tyler Johnson is going to step into Puka's position. Robinson stays in his role and Whittington moves up a slot.

I'm personally prioritizing Johnson.

I think Tyler Johnson is going to step into Puka's position. Robinson stays in his role and Whittington moves up a slot.

I’m gonna try and grab Robinson in my 3WR leagues. Had him last year for the home stretch and he helped me get that ring. Legacy add and hoping he can slide back into that role.

PIT WR with the most snaps yesterday?

Van Jefferson
Side note on VJ - saw some clips someone posted yesterday and man oh man for a veteran WR he does not block well. Zero understanding of balance, leverage and force. I know it is hyperbole but I could block better than he did last game. At least 3 blocking clips where he looked like a fish out of water. If he can't block in PIT in a Arthur Smith offense he might not be long for this world.
Yeah. VJ stinks. I was really high on him coming out, but he just didn't do anything other than one sorta good year that made him look like he was about to be a guy, only to stink.

Certain teams, if they move on from a certain position, IMO, you gotta be asking "why" bc these teams, IMO below, are excellent at developing certain positions.

WR - if Pitt or LAR are letting a WR go, chances are they are not going to be good moving forward. Pick any of the WRs Pitt has let go over the years as well as LAR. (Sweed, Jefferson)
QB - if Shanahan is letting a QB go, you might as well just avoid the guy (Trey Lance/Jimmy G)
OL - Philly took a guy that never played football in his life and turned him into a top 5/10 OT. If you are signing a FA OL from the Eagles, he's prob gonna stink (Andre Dillard)

Sorry kind of went on a rant here

Charbonet is out there in one of my leagues. what would a bid for him look like with Walker killing it (but dinged up)?

Also, anyone want to chime in on the Robinson, Tyler Johnson, Whittington three headed WR conundrum in LA?

Charbonet is out there in one of my leagues. what would a bid for him look like with Walker killing it (but dinged up)?

Also, anyone want to chime in on the Robinson, Tyler Johnson, Whittington three headed WR conundrum in LA?
I'd 100% go for Charbs but unsure what the bid might look like in your league. How many RBs are on waivers? Is he the #1 RB target or are there others like Dobbins, Bucky Irving etc. who might be on waivers? How bad do you or your leaguemates need RBs? What has bidding been in the past for RBs?

The question I always ask myself is what is an amount of FAAB I'm willing to spend to lock him up if I need him, especially week 2 as he could be a spot start if Walker is out. What would the amount be if I didn't get him and missed out that would piss me off? I look at it from the angle of how upset would I be if I missed out. If I don't really care I don't bid a lot. If I really want a RB I don't mind spending a bit more to guarantee he's locked up.

Put in an amount now you feel comfortable with and then let it sit. Then go back tonight and revisit the amount and see how you feel about it. Is it about right or do you need to increase it.

For sure. We might end up with a gem here until Puk Nukem returns. Robinson has better pedigree but Johnson should play in Puka's position.
Kup will prob receive more looks, so the upcoming player should be a flex consideration going forward.

I'd 100% go for Charbs but unsure what the bid might look like in your league. How many RBs are on waivers? Is he the #1 RB target or are there others like Dobbins, Bucky Irving etc. who might be on waivers? How bad do you or your leaguemates need RBs? What has bidding been in the past for RBs?

The question I always ask myself is what is an amount of FAAB I'm willing to spend to lock him up if I need him, especially week 2 as he could be a spot start if Walker is out. What would the amount be if I didn't get him and missed out that would piss me off? I look at it from the angle of how upset would I be if I missed out. If I don't really care I don't bid a lot. If I really want a RB I don't mind spending a bit more to guarantee he's locked up.

Put in an amount now you feel comfortable with and then let it sit. Then go back tonight and revisit the amount and see how you feel about it. Is it about right or do you need to increase it.
1K FA and I have Walker (and cmc) so I think having him on MY team is key. Thinking about 15+ % of FAAB Mattison is the only other guy out there (and jeff Wilson). I'm putting bids on all three but want to dip my toe in if anyone without Walker would spend over 150 on the guy.

I'm high on Demarcus. So much so I almost drafted him, but the waiver wire is flush with WRs of the pierce / Nailor / vele types so I don't need to break the bank there. I also thing Johnson's stats were not a fluke and Witty had a TD called back and they have been raving about him in camp.

Need a replacement for TE Ferguson in redraft league. Fant, Henry, Otten and Parkinson on WW. But don't really want to drop anyone off my bench. Offered Charbonnett for Bowers to Walker owner. He countered with Bowers for Jonathon Brooks, who I have on IR . Is that better than dropping either Wright or Chandler (handcuff to A. Jones) for WW ?

Need a replacement for TE Ferguson in redraft league. Fant, Henry, Otten and Parkinson on WW. But don't really want to drop anyone off my bench. Offered Charbonnett for Bowers to Walker owner. He countered with Bowers for Jonathon Brooks, who I have on IR . Is that better than dropping either Wright or Chandler (handcuff to A. Jones) for WW ?
PARKINSON!

I would trade Brooks for Bowers personally. Who knows when Brooks comes back and that Panthers O is god awful.

Bowers will be a top tier TE in short order.

he has to flatten out and maintain leverage on the safety there; that was midway 3rd Q, and Musgrave played 1 snap the rest of the game

the snap counts will likely be closer going forward

Kraft stayed in to block 19.5% of passing downs, and his ADoT was 3.5.

Musgrave - 10%, 15.5

but small sample size

Kraft 7.5% ADoT 4.9
Musgrave 11.3% ADoT 7.4

The other (very) important consideration for TEs is how much they play from the Slot or Wide as that tends to lend itself to high value targets; inline snaps, not so much.

Kraft inline 66.8%, Slot 23.7%, Wide 9.6%
Musgrave inline 52.1%, Slot 39.2%, Wide 8.4%

Musgrave is a far better receiver. I like Kraft a lot, was a big fan of his game when he was at South Dakota State (Dallas Goedert's alma mater), but the way the Packers deploy him, he's a better football player than a FF asset IMO. The Oregon State guy had a YPRR of 1.44 last year compared to 1.13 for the blocking TE.

They'll be weeks where they want Musgrave more involved. Week 1 wasn't it but he's still a key cog in that offense.
Don't forget the important Yards After Catch YAC information (if you count air yards before the catch, you gotta add when the ball is in their hands).

Yards After Catch per Reception:
Kraft 7.5 (#5 TE, Kittle 7.4, Njoku 7.4)
Musgrave 5.0 (#39Tie TE)

Yards After Contact per Reception:
Kraft 3.1 (#5Tie TE with Likely)
Musgrave 0.7 (#85Tie TE, keep scrolling when you click that column)
Yep. Kraft's YAC is a big part of the equation. Much better blocker than Musgrave and just as good a receiver, if not better, everything considered.

Not sure he'll be a strong FF asset, but it's within the realm of possibilities. He won't outscore Musgrave every week, but there's no doubt Kraft is a better all-around player, which is why he's their starter.

Film helps complete the picture. It's true Kraft has a higher YAC than Musgrave, and the reason is alignment, who is in coverage, & the type of routes they run.

Most teams have different flavors of TEs. The inline blocking TEs virtually always have a higher YAC than pass catching TEs who line up in the slot & wide.

Inline will often chip in their way out or block, pass off and leak out - that’s where the QB goes when downfield is covered & he needs to get the ball out quick. Inline catches, turns & nobody is anywhere near him. In the box score it’s chalked up as low ADoT & high YAC.

The pass catching TE runs deeper into coverage zones, has more defenders near them, is in a contested battle to create separation & earn the target.

Inline guys are more apt to be covered by LBs they can outrun whereas TEs lining up as WR will see mostly DBs.

Etc etc

They’re both good athletes - Kraft RAS 9.68, Musgrave 9.95.

Two things seem relevant for 2024. 1) Packers like Kraft more this year. They value blocking more than the downfield TE routes, and 2) TEs had 100 targets & WRs 367 last year; 4 & 21 Week this year.

Interesting discussion but not enough volume to be meaningful.

he has to flatten out and maintain leverage on the safety there; that was midway 3rd Q, and Musgrave played 1 snap the rest of the game

the snap counts will likely be closer going forward

Kraft stayed in to block 19.5% of passing downs, and his ADoT was 3.5.

Musgrave - 10%, 15.5

but small sample size

Kraft 7.5% ADoT 4.9
Musgrave 11.3% ADoT 7.4

The other (very) important consideration for TEs is how much they play from the Slot or Wide as that tends to lend itself to high value targets; inline snaps, not so much.

Kraft inline 66.8%, Slot 23.7%, Wide 9.6%
Musgrave inline 52.1%, Slot 39.2%, Wide 8.4%

Musgrave is a far better receiver. I like Kraft a lot, was a big fan of his game when he was at South Dakota State (Dallas Goedert's alma mater), but the way the Packers deploy him, he's a better football player than a FF asset IMO. The Oregon State guy had a YPRR of 1.44 last year compared to 1.13 for the blocking TE.

They'll be weeks where they want Musgrave more involved. Week 1 wasn't it but he's still a key cog in that offense.
Don't forget the important Yards After Catch YAC information (if you count air yards before the catch, you gotta add when the ball is in their hands).

Yards After Catch per Reception:
Kraft 7.5 (#5 TE, Kittle 7.4, Njoku 7.4)
Musgrave 5.0 (#39Tie TE)

Yards After Contact per Reception:
Kraft 3.1 (#5Tie TE with Likely)
Musgrave 0.7 (#85Tie TE, keep scrolling when you click that column)
Yep. Kraft's YAC is a big part of the equation. Much better blocker than Musgrave and just as good a receiver, if not better, everything considered.

Not sure he'll be a strong FF asset, but it's within the realm of possibilities. He won't outscore Musgrave every week, but there's no doubt Kraft is a better all-around player, which is why he's their starter.

Film helps complete the picture. It's true Kraft has a higher YAC than Musgrave, and the reason is alignment, who is in coverage, & the type of routes they run.

Most teams have different flavors of TEs. The inline blocking TEs virtually always have a higher YAC than pass catching TEs who line up in the slot & wide.

Inline will often chip in their way out or block, pass off and leak out - that’s where the QB goes when downfield is covered & he needs to get the ball out quick. Inline catches, turns & nobody is anywhere near him. In the box score it’s chalked up as low ADoT & high YAC.

The pass catching TE runs deeper into coverage zones, has more defenders near them, is in a contested battle to create separation & earn the target.

Inline guys are more apt to be covered by LBs they can outrun whereas TEs lining up as WR will see mostly DBs.

Etc etc

They’re both good athletes - Kraft RAS 9.68, Musgrave 9.95.

Two things seem relevant for 2024. 1) Packers like Kraft more this year. They value blocking more than the downfield TE routes, and 2) TEs had 100 targets & WRs 367 last year; 4 & 21 Week this year.

Interesting discussion but not enough volume to be meaningful.
I don't see any path for Musgrave to overtake Kraft. Musgrave is a nice prospect, but Kraft is also a plus receiver and his YAC is near elite. He's known for it. If Musgrave was a better blocker, he probably would get more snaps.

I agree it's an interesting dynamic since Musgrave was drafted higher. It's similar to Andrews/Hurst when the Ravens drafted both in the same year (took Hurst in the 1st and Andrews in the 3rd). I believe the Packers had them both rated about the same and more or less used "ADP" to determine where to take each player.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity is this redraft or keeper/dynasty. I do like Bowers (a lot) but rookie TEs will have their ups and downs throughout the season. Having said that I like Bowers a lot better than your other options on waivers (maybe Henry could be a cheap and sneaky add as NE is desperate for pass catchers).

I don't mind the idea of Brooks for Bowers in a redraft league where no one is kept - as someone mentioned who knows what Brooks might do once he is back from injury and if he will do much at all this year. Sometimes it takes until year 2. Not a bad deal IMO.

Out of curiosity is this redraft or keeper/dynasty. I do like Bowers (a lot) but rookie TEs will have their ups and downs throughout the season. Having said that I like Bowers a lot better than your other options on waivers (maybe Henry could be a cheap and sneaky add as NE is desperate for pass catchers).

I don't mind the idea of Brooks for Bowers in a redraft league where no one is kept - as someone mentioned who knows what Brooks might do once he is back from injury and if he will do much at all this year. Sometimes it takes until year 2. Not a bad deal IMO.
it is redraft. I'm thinking the combo of Bowers/Ferguson will be good this season. Love Brooks in dynasty, but Carolina is such a cluster, he might not payoff this year. thanks

I’d be less enthusiastic about having both Cooper and Jeudy at the same time as something looks off with the Browns offensive mojo right now (granted it was against the Cowboys defense).

Robinson might be the better claim for now and could be easier to drop later in the season when Puca returns. Waiver wire targets are more plentiful early in the season; however, sometimes some quality gems emerge later in the year when injuries start to pile up.

Some of these guys may have already been discussed, but here are some lesser-known or potentially free agent receivers that saw at least 6 targets in Week 1. That's relative based on the size of individual leagues and how fantasy crazed people are. I am not saying that these guys are great options, but when you play in deeper leagues, it's best to start tracking guys early to see if they keep getting involved each week to have a chance to scout what is usually slim pickings on the wire. (Some will be better known than others . . . or potentially already rostered.)

12: Wan'Dale Robinson
9: Allen Lazard
8: Josh Reynolds, Devaughn Vele, Jerry Jeudy, Greg Dortch
7: Xavier Legette, Ray-Ray McCloud
6: K.J. Osborn, Andrei Iosivas, Elijah Moore, Tyler Johnson, DeMarcus Robinson

I’d be less enthusiastic about having both Cooper and Jeudy at the same time as something looks off with the Browns offensive mojo right now (granted it was against the Cowboys defense).

Robinson might be the better claim for now and could be easier to drop later in the season when Puca returns. Waiver wire targets are more plentiful early in the season; however, sometimes some quality gems emerge later in the year when injuries start to pile up.
Thanks Faust!

:thumbup:

Damn, I guess I am really about to drop $31 on Likely (have Mandrews), $26 on Tank and $21 on bucky. Oh well. Can't do anything with the money when the season is over. What i really do not want is Likely to kill me. Can Likely burn me if I do not get him? I can see that happening.

Damn, I guess I am really about to drop $31 on Likely (have Mandrews), $26 on Tank and $21 on bucky. Oh well. Can't do anything with the money when the season is over. What i really do not want is Likely to kill me. Can Likely burn me if I do not get him? I can see that happening.

I've always been so conservative with my FAAB $ and always end up the season with some left over. I always kick myself for not being more ballsy with the cash early once a potential game break is available.

Atm I have 31% on Likely, 13% on Tank (Might be too low), 5% on Wilson Jr (Achane owner) and the rest we will see if I have room after these go through or not.

I think it’s a week to dart throw at TEs. So many were bad this weekend so it might be which ones keep up.

In deep leagues I like (in order):

Noah Gray
Foster Moreau
Juwan Johnson

For IDP there are a few good young LBs to throw darts at as well

This is my take as well. I thought Johnson would be a star coming out of Minnesota. He could really surprise with this opportunity

Has anyone discussed how much FAAB you’re spending on Mason?

Not even a CMC owner here, and I’m thinking 50-70% of my budget.

Last edited:

I've always been so conservative with my FAAB $ and always end up the season with some left over. I always kick myself for not being more ballsy with the cash early once a potential game break is available.

Atm I have 31% on Likely, 13% on Tank (Might be too low), 5% on Wilson Jr (Achane owner) and the rest we will see if I have room after these go through or not.

I am dropping 77% on Likely. I have LaPorta. It's a keeper auction league though and because Likely is an FA, his keeper salary will be $5 out of $200 budget. It's dynasty lite. We also start three WR and two flex. I just lost Nacua.

I say all that to say it's very league specific. I snagged Kyren and Puka for a combined 80% plus last year. I learned it's better to be aggressive in Week 1 bidding. It's just like an auction draft during the first few nominations. People get scared and hold on to their money waiting on the next Kyren that doesn't come. They then spend 80% on Joshua Kelly after Week 2.

I am dropping 77% on Likely. I have LaPorta. It's a keeper auction league though and because Likely is an FA, his keeper salary will be $5 out of $200 budget. It's dynasty lite. We also start three WR and two flex. I just lost Nacua.

I say all that to say it's very league specific. I snagged Kyren and Puka for a combined 80% plus last year. I learned it's better to be aggressive in Week 1 bidding. It's just like an auction draft during the first few nominations. People get scared and hold on to their money waiting on the next Kyren that doesn't come. They then spend 80% on Joshua Kelly after Week 2.
You’re gonna make me raise my bids lol.

Solid advice!

Users who are viewing this thread