What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020: The Race For the White House - The Good Place (7 Viewers)

By crying about how his name wasn't read off to a respondent, the Buttigieg campaign managed to get the last Iowa Poll before caucuses axed.  Now no one gets to know what Iowans thought going into caucus.  Nice work by them 
And had that happened to Bernie...there would be complaining how it was all rigged against him.  But since its Pete...he had to be crying, right?

I know at least one of those counties has significant numbers of out of state college students who are registered to vote there but I doubt are counted in a census. I'd be curious to see if that's the case for the others as well.
The article Joffer linked had links within to the sos register and Iowa 2018 Census (the most recent) and the numbers JW used looked to be accurate/close for the couple counties I looked at.

The article does mention things that I think JW failed to consider though.  I had not thought about the college aspect.  Can out of state non-resident students vote in the Iowa caucus? 

The article Joffer linked had links within to the sos register and Iowa 2018 Census (the most recent) and the numbers JW used looked to be accurate/close for the couple counties I looked at.

The article does mention things that I think JW failed to consider though.  I had not thought about the college aspect.  Can out of state non-resident students vote in the Iowa caucus? 
Yep, I did. The local GOP tried very hard to disenfranchise all of us when the actual elections came up (liberal college), but they were always shut down by the courts. The way I saw it I was spending about 75% of my time during college in Iowa, was paying state income taxes, sales taxes, was registered to vote there and used my dorm address as my primary residence and address. Why shouldn't I get to vote there?

They don’t hate him. 

They think that his nomination means 4 more years of Trump. THATS what they hate. 
Notice that I didn't say what the object of the hate was, because I have no idea what Sanders did to deserve that. Well, other than not even being a member of the party, I guess. But isn't MSNBC all about leaning forward? 

538 confirmed some of the results from that Des Moines Register poll that got spiked:

Sanders 22%

Warren 18%

Buttigieg 16%

Biden 13%

Notice that I didn't say what the object of the hate was, because I have no idea what Sanders did to deserve that. Well, other than not even being a member of the party, I guess. But isn't MSNBC all about leaning forward? 
Right now leaning forward means beating Trump.

538 confirmed some of the results from that Des Moines Register poll that got spiked:

Sanders 22%

Warren 18%

Buttigieg 16%

Biden 13%
Those numbers for Biden are shocking based on other polls. If they hold he is in huge trouble. 

I sure hope Biden’s numbers aren’t down because of the Hunter thing. That would mean that Trump cheated, didn’t get punished, and it worked beyond his wildest dreams. What a terrible result that would be for our political system. 

Those numbers for Biden are shocking based on other polls. If they hold he is in huge trouble. 

I sure hope Biden’s numbers aren’t down because of the Hunter thing. That would mean that Trump cheated, didn’t get punished, and it worked beyond his wildest dreams. What a terrible result that would be for our political system. 
Dude, Biden's numbers are down because as people have been telling you, he's a terrible candidate and the Democratic Party has lurched leftward. There's no doubt.

538 does Project Biden with the best chance of winning. And people being inteviewed going into the polls seem to back this up. 

If Biden can pull out a firm victory here that would be excellent news for the Democratic Party IMO- and very bad news for Trump. 

Dude, Biden's numbers are down because as people have been telling you, he's a terrible candidate and the Democratic Party has lurched leftward. There's no doubt.
I have doubts about all of this. You could be right but you could also be very wrong. Let’s see how this goes. 

538 does Project Biden with the best chance of winning. And people being inteviewed going into the polls seem to back this up. 

If Biden can pull out a firm victory here that would be excellent news for the Democratic Party IMO- and very bad news for Trump. 
Winning the initial, final, or delegate count?

That’s Biden’s third consecutive 4th-place finish in the Des Moines Register poll, fwiw. The way they’re modeling turnout for this race is not very helpful for him.

And had that happened to Bernie...there would be complaining how it was all rigged against him.  But since its Pete...he had to be crying, right?
Doubt it- most of their grievances have been due to absurd media coverage and treatment by the party.  Buttigieg has been treated with kid gloves by comparison.  

Either way, I’d still want to see the poll results.  Sounds like the withholding of the  result was based on the complaint of a single respondent.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the withholding of the  result was based on the complaint of a single respondent.  
This is such an interesting view. You don't put any of the blame on mis-handling the poll? I'd imagine if ANY candidate were left off, that campaign would "complain".

Or maybe Buttigieg can take over Biden's lane.  But a Sanders-Warren finish is horrifying.
This is pretty simple to me.  People no longer believe that politicians will do the right thing and help the little people.  They've been burned for far too long.  There's been one candidate that has consistently talked about making sure the 1% don't #### over the rest of us.  It isn't horrifying - what's happened for decades is horrifying.  Having homeless vets and people without healthcare is horrifying.  Having some ridiculously small number of people having more money than 99+% of the rest of the people is horrifying. 

And look, I get the concerns people have over Bernie but to pretend like the concerns folks have over the others candidates not doing a damn thing for them is worse.  IMO.

This is pretty simple to me.  People no longer believe that politicians will do the right thing and help the little people.  They've been burned for far too long.  There's been one candidate that has consistently talked about making sure the 1% don't #### over the rest of us.  It isn't horrifying - what's happened for decades is horrifying.  Having homeless vets and people without healthcare is horrifying.  Having some ridiculously small number of people having more money than 99+% of the rest of the people is horrifying. 
This is not wrong. I'm just skeptical that there are enough actual swing voters in the half dozen or so states that matter.

Outlook not so good: https://news.gallup.com/poll/284156/trump-job-approval-personal-best.aspx

The percentage of voters who think he deserves re-election is up NINE percent to 50%.
Not only Trump but the entire GOP. Even with the entertainment industry and MSM in their pocket the Dems still can't get out of their own way.

Now, 51% of Americans view the Republican Party favorably, up from 43% in September. It is the first time GOP favorability has exceeded 50% since 2005.

Meanwhile, 45% of Americans have a positive opinion of the Democratic Party, a slight dip from 48% in September.

cap'n grunge said:
I wish Pete and Amy would.join forces.
Pete needs a Kamala Harris or Cory Booker. Maybe even Abrams from Georgia.  Pete has almost zero support from African-Americans. He has not been able to overcome that and having a black running mate would be his only chance in the general. Might even be his only chance in the primaries, so he'd need to partner-up early. 

Spent the last couple of days in Des Moines. Came away VERY concerned about the Biden campaign. I don't know if he didn't put any effort into Iowa or what, but we didn't see a single person working for or supporting Biden (except for at his party).

As you could probably tell on tv, his speech was terrible. He was reading it off a piece of paper, not making eye contact and had very little energy. When he was done, we walked over to Pete's speech and it was a HUGE difference. Pete was terrific and the crowd was energized. Like night and day from Uncle Joe.

Pete needs a Kamala Harris or Cory Booker. Maybe even Abrams from Georgia.  Pete has almost zero support from African-Americans. He has not been able to overcome that and having a black running mate would be his only chance in the general. Might even be his only chance in the primaries, so he'd need to partner-up early. 
but he had several black ladies standing behind him as he claimed his Pyrrhic victory last nite! what ever will be enough?!?!

but he had several black ladies standing behind him as he claimed his Pyrrhic victory last nite! what ever will be enough?!?!
He got that trick from Donald himself. Trump always pays some black and latino people to sit directly behind him at his rallies so it appears to be diverse. Mayor Pete learning from the best.

What a clown show. Trump's getting 4 more years, and, though he definitely will continue to do so, he probably doesn't even need to cheat to do it.

What a clown show. Trump's getting 4 more years, and, though he definitely will continue to do so, he probably doesn't even need to cheat to do it.
There's a Nixon precedent in there. The difference is that the Republicans in Congress in 1972 didn't condone the cheating. Lo, how things have changed. 

roadkill1292 said:
Interesting, Tim, but still not creative nor logical enough. Plus a disconcerting grab for power from a state which will one day have its fair share, which is a little scary for the rest of us (but not as scary as conservatives make it out to be).

March primary -- Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, Wyoming. Approval voting, bottom 20% of vote getters are eliminated.

April primary -- Arkansas, DC, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah (guessed the criteria yet?). 25% of the remaining candidates are eliminated.

May primary -- Alabama, Connecticut, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Nevada, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee. A third of who's left are cut.

June -- Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Massachusetts, Maryland, Minneapolis, Missouri, Virginia, Washington, Wiscons. Half of the survivors are eliminated.

July -- California, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas.

Now we have a pretty accurate picture of who Democratic voters actually want or can live with. Have a quick convention for the people who need those kinds of things and get it done.
I have since learned that this is a version of a previous reform plan known as the "Delaware Plan" and was proposed by the Rules Committee of the Republican National Committee back in 2000.

Imagine that, the GOP was interested in improving elections as recently as 20 years ago.

I also continue to be disappointed in the Democrats for their tardiness in supporting significant election reform and I've decide to blame their failure to support the FRA as fear of third party encroachment into Congress.

Users who are viewing this thread