What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020: The Race For the White House - The Good Place (6 Viewers)

True, but it's an opinion based on an interest in the outcome itself, rather than a bias toward a candidate.   Since it's entirely self-interested, it ideally should take out political leanings.  Gambling lines have shown over time to be a pretty solid predictor of event outcomes.
Exactly, people actually putting their money where their mouth is as opposed to simply pushing an agenda.

Latest Reuters/Ipsos:

Biden 47

Trump 37

Biden’s problem is that today is not Election Day. If it was he’d be president. But as Clinton saw in 2016, you need to get to November.

But 4 years of Trump hasn't caused this.  I would argue 30+ years of people like Pelosi and McConnell are bigger problems.  They've had decades to affect it and haven't.
I can get behind this. 30 years is way too long. It is nuts that McConnel has been a senator for 35 years and Pelosi a rep for 33 years.

Why the #### do these people feel the need to keep on keeping on at age 80? Seems nuts to me. I am 45 and am ready to retire already

I can get behind this. 30 years is way too long. It is nuts that McConnel has been a senator for 35 years and Pelosi a rep for 33 years.

Why the #### do these people feel the need to keep on keeping on at age 80? Seems nuts to me. I am 45 and am ready to retire already
They have the easiest jobs in the world and increase their family’s wealth by millions a year. Pretty great gig.

I mean, the top matters.  Trump isn't making it better.  

But 4 years of Trump hasn't caused this.  I would argue 30+ years of people like Pelosi and McConnell are bigger problems.  They've had decades to affect it and haven't.
The President is making it very much worse, but he's the President we deserve. Our inattention to the hijacking of our country by the feckless & corrupt on both sides of the aisle created conditions which sent the country yearning for an original voice. It bothers me deeply that i cannot characterize that "originality" as i would like to in this forum, but you get the drift.

Losers get exposed during a time of crisis. There are super bowl winners who overcame problems and a bunch of also rans who didn't. No better time to judge these public servants than now.  And it all starts at the top.
The legislature is where you make the real change.  The President is only around for 4-8 years.  Some of the legislators are around for 30.    

Just FYI - 538 gives Public Policy Polling a B with a slight Dem lean.
Yeah, given their reputation and other polls, I think Trump is slightly ahead, but Texas looks competitive. Let me say that again: currently Texas looks like it could be competitive. The GOP Senators might want to rethink their unwavering Trump support. 

Exactly, people actually putting their money where their mouth is as opposed to simply pushing an agenda.
Even beyond that, betting odds on Betfair (exchange wagering) allow those with the strongest convictions to scale their bets up and have the greatest influence.  Over time, the most successful bettors build the biggest bankroll and the most confidence...resulting in the largest bets and the most influence on the odds.  It's not a perfect predictor, but it's far better than almost any individual expert's opinion and takes new information into account almost instantly.

Arizona, Florida and North Carolina seem more winnable for Biden than Texas.  I hope he limits his efforts in Texas.  

Arizona, Florida and North Carolina seem more winnable for Biden than Texas.  I hope he limits his efforts in Texas.  
The play is to spend enough time in Texas so as to force the other side to do the same. That can be almost as important as winning the state. 

Yeah, we want to force the GOP to spend money everywhere. The bad news is that they seem to have it by the boatloads. And part of the danger in not spending it is that Don is most likely dreaming of ways that he can get his paws on it personally for "later."

While on my way somewhere else, I accidentally joined the local protest today.

I don't know what time it started, but I caught it at 1 pm. From then until 3 pm, which is a solid two hours if I did the math right, there was a constant parade of protestors passing by in cars, bumper to bumper, honking and yelling and whooping and otherwise making their feelings known. They were mostly white, but were very passionate about black lives mattering. Judging by their cardboard signs, they were also extremely dissatisfied with Trump. They were generally young, and every one of them seemed like a stone cold lock to show up and vote in November.

I know it's California, and maybe things look different in Oklahoma, but I've never seen this many people so worked up about politics before. It made me proud of my country.

While on my way somewhere else, I accidentally joined the local protest today.

I don't know what time it started, but I caught it at 1 pm. From then until 3 pm, which is a solid two hours if I did the math right, there was a constant parade of protestors passing by in cars, bumper to bumper, honking and yelling and whooping and otherwise making their feelings known. They were mostly white, but were very passionate about black lives mattering. Judging by their cardboard signs, they were also extremely dissatisfied with Trump. They were generally young, and every one of them seemed like a stone cold lock to show up and vote in November.

I know it's California, and maybe things look different in Oklahoma, but I've never seen this many people so worked up about politics before. It made me proud of my country.
You had me worried until I saw Cali. ;)

I'm actually coming to Cali this summer for a couple weeks or so.

Gonna be fun wearing my new MAGA hat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha. There's more to that hat than Trump, though. A LOT more.

I just saw a white guy believe he needs to have an awakening about the color of his skin. Evidently, he feels privileged.

None of my black friends want me to feel anything about the color of my skin. That, I can promise you. What a horrible, devisive thought.

We should be empathetic towards African-Americans & their plight, but the day we need to have an awakening about the color of our skin, is the day this country goes in the toilet.

You should be celebrating the color of your skin. Celebrate its history. No race in history has had it easy. There's poor & oppressed people of all races.

My grandkids are not going to grow up with the thought they need to apologize for the color of their skin. That's exactly what you're doing when you believe you need to spend time thinking about your pigment. If you want to have an awakening, then help black folks.

BTW, that's the next big movement (everyone celebrating their race). Gonna happen at some point.

The whole idea is not to feel anything about your color, other than pride.

Cop shows are getting canceled because of race. Looks like we'd want to keep them on & show how things can get better.

WTF are we doing?

Acknowledging white privilege isn't the same as apologizing.
It's not. Both are divisive.

Go tell some some white boys in the hills of Kentucky how privileged they are.

White privilege. The very name is divisive. It suggests things that just aren't so. 

We can be empathetic towards black people without condemning our own race. Racists are the only ones who need to ponder their pigment. A bunch of the black conservatives are preaching the following message & it goes something like this...the average white person isn't your enemy. A truer statement could never be uttered.

I'm not going to think about the color of my skin in relationship to other races, but I'll prop your race up. And I certainly won't apologize for being white like I've essentially seen some people do lately. My main concern is not leaving a bull#### society to my grandkids where they are forced to believe they're privileged & magical things will happen if you don't work hard. 

The narrative is evil.

White privilege. The very name is divisive. It suggests things that just aren't so. 

We can be empathetic towards black people without condemning our own race. Racists are the only ones who need to ponder their pigment. A bunch of the black conservatives are preaching the following message & it goes something like this...the average white person isn't your enemy. A truer statement could never be uttered.

I'm not going to think about the color of my skin in relationship to other races, but I'll prop your race up. And I certainly won't apologize for being white like I've essentially seen some people do lately. My main concern is not leaving a bull#### society to my grandkids where they are forced to believe they're privileged & magical things will happen if you don't work hard. 

The narrative is evil.
Acknowledging that white privilege exists does not "condemn" whites.  It also doesn't mean that every white person is born into great circumstances.  And there's nothing magical about it either.

Acknowledging that white privilege exists does not "condemn" whites.  It also doesn't mean that every white person is born into great circumstances.  And there's nothing magical about it either.
Keep up the narrative. White privilege is a moniker used for divisiveness. It's going to get squashed eventually.

Why not just help black folks & drop the moniker? Why do whites have to have some sort of self-reflection about their color? I can only imagine what white children are thinking right now. Taught to respect all colors, they're now supposed to feel a certain way about their color. It's nonsense.

The answer is to forget color & help oppressed people of all colors. The black community in particular needs help right now.

Ok, let's do it.

The narrative is evil.
But they are, in fact, so.

You just claim people don't need to ponder their pigment...only racists do it...but you have gone around saying "black conservatives" over and over and over on this board.

White privilege isn't about enemies...its about understanding that there is an inherit advantage (for lack of a better word) to being born white.  That there are just truths that we don't understand because we are white...that its hard to comprehend.

Again, and example and I will try and find the article on this...it was explained from the daughter of a police officer and why she was out marching or supporting things lately.

She explained her feeeling, and her family's feeling when her dad leaves for duty...the fear that it might be the night he doesn't come home.  But when he comes home, he takes off his uniform and is active in the community and for some, they may not even know he is a cop.  And he chooses to be a police officer...when he takes that risk it is by choice.  He can resign and do something else.  It was a choice (this is again not condoning any violence against police...please don't even try and claim that).

She then compares that to a black woman when her son leaves the house...worrying if he gets pulled over, or doesn't come home.  That her son can't just come home and change skin color and go around as if its nothing...he didn't choose to be black.

Ive talked to people in my neighborhood about it and spend any time talking to black parents about their fears.  When my son goes out...I don't fear him not coming home because of how he looks (only that he himself does something stupid).  In a few months when he can drive on his own...I won't fear him being pulled over (other than the added expense of a ticket and insurance increase...though, that he will pay for).  When he, or I see blue lights in the rearview mirror...we don't fear for our life.  Just the inconvenience of a ticket.  

There are plenty of ways to discuss white privilege...and its not to make me feel bad or guilty...its about empathy towards what other people go through.  It doesn't mean I owe them anything other than what they already have from me and that is my friendship.

But denying it exists...thats just odd to me.

Self reflection is how we grow as people.
Keep self-reflecting on your color. Very fruitful exercise, LOL. We shouldn't see color.

It's an ugly moniker. A lot of black people are oppressed. So are quite a few white people in this country. End of story.

Systemic racism will eventually be wiped out one day...& that includes the White Privilege moniker & the divisiveness it brings.

But they are, in fact, so.

You just claim people don't need to ponder their pigment...only racists do it...but you have gone around saying "black conservatives" over and over and over on this board.

White privilege isn't about enemies...its about understanding that there is an inherit advantage (for lack of a better word) to being born white.  That there are just truths that we don't understand because we are white...that its hard to comprehend.

Again, and example and I will try and find the article on this...it was explained from the daughter of a police officer and why she was out marching or supporting things lately.

She explained her feeeling, and her family's feeling when her dad leaves for duty...the fear that it might be the night he doesn't come home.  But when he comes home, he takes off his uniform and is active in the community and for some, they may not even know he is a cop.  And he chooses to be a police officer...when he takes that risk it is by choice.  He can resign and do something else.  It was a choice (this is again not condoning any violence against police...please don't even try and claim that).

She then compares that to a black woman when her son leaves the house...worrying if he gets pulled over, or doesn't come home.  That her son can't just come home and change skin color and go around as if its nothing...he didn't choose to be black.

Ive talked to people in my neighborhood about it and spend any time talking to black parents about their fears.  When my son goes out...I don't fear him not coming home because of how he looks (only that he himself does something stupid).  In a few months when he can drive on his own...I won't fear him being pulled over (other than the added expense of a ticket and insurance increase...though, that he will pay for).  When he, or I see blue lights in the rearview mirror...we don't fear for our life.  Just the inconvenience of a ticket.  

There are plenty of ways to discuss white privilege...and its not to make me feel bad or guilty...its about empathy towards what other people go through.  It doesn't mean I owe them anything other than what they already have from me and that is my friendship.

But denying it exists...thats just odd to me.
What I acknowledge is a lot of black people are oppressed (along with many others).

The White Privilege moniker is hurtful & can cause issues for kids, who are very impressionable.

The fight against racism has come a long way. We've got quite a ways to go. That should be the narrative, not some manufactured moniker.

Can you explain more why you think the term "white privilege" has negative consequences for impressionable kids?
Are you kidding?

Do you realize the White Privilege moniker is making some white ADULTS feel like they have to apologize for nothing other than being born white? Apologizing & acknowledging racism are two very different things. Now, just think about an impressionable kid.

The latter should be the narrative.

What I acknowledge is a lot of black people are oppressed (along with many others).

The White Privilege moniker is hurtful & can cause issues for kids, who are very impressionable.

The fight against racism has come a long way. We've got quite a ways to go. That should be the narrative, not some manufactured moniker.
How is it hurtful?  I am not hurt at all by anyone stating that we as a race have had privilege.  That we, as a race, have had advantages.  

Denying that means we definitely have a way to go...because there are segments of people who won't even admit the basic truths.

Regarding white privilege, imagine I was black and this was Minneapolis.

Myself and two friends were hammered drunk on the way back from a late night Taco Bell run. I drove between a stop light and electrical box up on the curb just to see if my car would fit. Of course, this was right in front of a cop. We get pulled over a few blocks later by the one cop, and a few other units. My buddy in the passenger seat refused to exit the car nor put out his smoke. He got yanked out and thrown on the hood, resulting in just a black eye and lots of laughs from my other buddy. I was arrested for DUI, marijuana possession, possession of a dangerous weapon, open bottle.

In court, all charges were dropped, except for the DUI.

If we were black, and my buddy pulled that stunt, I guarantee they would have thrown his ### in the dirt. And I also guarantee, most of those charges on me would NOT have  been dropped.

White. Privilege.

How is it hurtful?  I am not hurt at all by anyone stating that we as a race have had privilege.  That we, as a race, have had advantages.  

Denying that means we definitely have a way to go...because there are segments of people who won't even admit the basic truths.
Who's denying racism? Not me. In fact, not ONE single person I know.

There will always be racists. What we have to do is eliminate systemic racism.

White Privilege. It distracts from the racism theme that should be at the forefront. I see a lot of wordsmithing in some of the responses here. You guys know it's a moniker. That can't be denied.

It's designed to make white people feel apologetic for their color. Plain & simple. So wrong & hurtful. So damaging to kids.

Their should be a moniker alright...it should read END RACISM.

Regarding white privilege, imagine I was black and this was Minneapolis.

Myself and two friends were hammered drunk on the way back from a late night Taco Bell run. I drove between a stop light and electrical box up on the curb just to see if my car would fit. Of course, this was right in front of a cop. We get pulled over a few blocks later by the one cop, and a few other units. My buddy in the passenger seat refused to exit the car nor put out his smoke. He got yanked out and thrown on the hood, resulting in just a black eye and lots of laughs from my other buddy. I was arrested for DUI, marijuana possession, possession of a dangerous weapon, open bottle.

In court, all charges were dropped, except for the DUI.

If we were black, and my buddy pulled that stunt, I guarantee they would have thrown his ### in the dirt. And I also guarantee, most of those charges on me would NOT have  been dropped.

White. Privilege.
 Cool story.

I have a friend with a bunch of DUIs. Unfortunately, he's had a combination of bad luck & poor choices. He's white.

I once worked with a black guy who partied a lot. Dude just got lucky drinking & driving. Never got a DUI as far as I know.

You're responsible for yourself...& only you.

Who's denying racism? Not me. In fact, not ONE single person I know.

There will always be racists. What we have to do is eliminate systemic racism.

White Privilege. It distracts from the racism theme that should be at the forefront. I see a lot of wordsmithing in some of the responses here. You guys know it's a moniker. That can't be denied.

It's designed to make white people feel apologetic for their color. Plain & simple. So wrong & hurtful. So damaging to kids.

Their should be a moniker alright...it should read END RACISM.
I didn't say you were denying racism...

I don't think it distracts from racism at all...I think it points out the racism that has been around forever.  Nobody is wordsmithing...you seem to have more of an issue with the word than anything...do you admit the issue exists?  That what is described as white privilege does actually exist?  

Spare me the claims of what you think it was designed to do...do you think it actually exists?

Also spare me that it is somehow wrong or hurtful to understand the advantages white people have been afforded...sorry if I don't find that all that hurtful or damaging as we see unarmed black men murdered or beaten.

Also...you seem to have plenty of time to post all day yesterday and so much today...can you give 5 minutes in the Future of the Republican Party thread and please define what conservatism is?

The White House is now demanding an apology from CNN for its poll showing Biden leading by 14 points. "Misleading the public."

Trump people really don't understand polling. Or maybe they do and just hate them for what they do. I dunno.

Lots of people don't believe that all white people were born with privilege.  So no it's not a basic truth.   

Users who are viewing this thread