What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Terry McLaurin, WAS (1 Viewer)

I like Fitzpatrick to be an average NFL QB this season. QB 15. Which should unlock McLaurins potential. 

McLaurin could be a fringe top 12 WR this year. He was WR 20 last season, and just two more TD's would have vaulted him to 15. WFT threw for just 16 TD's and 16 INTs last season so it's not at all unreasonable to expect better stats in that area. 

I like Fitzpatrick to be an average NFL QB this season. QB 15. Which should unlock McLaurins potential. 

McLaurin could be a fringe top 12 WR this year. He was WR 20 last season, and just two more TD's would have vaulted him to 15. WFT threw for just 16 TD's and 16 INTs last season so it's not at all unreasonable to expect better stats in that area. 
I think people are really underrating how big of a QB upgrade McLaurin just got. Its every bit as big as the one the Rams got. Like you said, Washington had 16 passing TD's last season. Fitzpatrick had 13 in about half a season last year, and with(in my opinion) nobody of McLaurin's talent level.

I'm not saying he'll hit it necessarily, but McLaurin has top-5 WR upside, and probably a WR15 or so floor. There is a good chance of a Calvin Ridley-ish 3rd year leap here.

I think people are really underrating how big of a QB upgrade McLaurin just got. Its every bit as big as the one the Rams got. Like you said, Washington had 16 passing TD's last season. Fitzpatrick had 13 in about half a season last year, and with(in my opinion) nobody of McLaurin's talent level.

I'm not saying he'll hit it necessarily, but McLaurin has top-5 WR upside, and probably a WR15 or so floor. There is a good chance of a Calvin Ridley-ish 3rd year leap here.

All of this.

Ryan Fitzpartrick's WR1 over his last 3 years (only of games Fitz played the significant amount of snaps) have averaged 13.6  0.5 ppr ppg which would be a low end WR1. While McLaurin might not be as good as Evans, I am pretty sure he's better than Parker. I am feeling positive about McLaurin this year. 

Ilov80s said:
Ryan Fitzpartrick's WR1 over his last 3 years (only of games Fitz played the significant amount of snaps) have averaged 13.6  0.5 ppr ppg which would be a low end WR1. While McLaurin might not be as good as Evans, I am pretty sure he's better than Parker. I am feeling positive about McLaurin this year. 
Actually he might be BETTER than Evans. A different type of receiver mind you, but he's very good route runner and catches everything. 

Actually he might be BETTER than Evans. A different type of receiver mind you, but he's very good route runner and catches everything. 
I'm a huge McLaurin fan, but that is highly unlikely. Evans is probably the most underrated WR of the last decade. He's the only player in history to have 7 straight 1,000 yard seasons, and he's done it amongst multiple QB's and HC's, ranging from the good(Brady, Arians) the bad(Winston, Koetter) and the ugly(McCown, Lovie) which has come out to an average of 81-1,259-9 over his 7 seasons. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually he might be BETTER than

Evans

. A different type of receiver mind you, but he's very good route runner and catches everything. 
At this point in his career, maybe. Evans has some major holes in his game but he has been incredibly effective the league. However, as someone with no Evans this year and a good amount of McLaurin, I hope we look back at the end of the year and think this isn't such a stretch. 

I'm a huge McLaurin fan, but that is highly unlikely. Evans is probably the most underrated WR of the last decade. He's the only player in history to have 7 straight 1,000 yard seasons, and he's done it amongst multiple QB's and HC's, ranging from the good(Brady, Arians) the bad(Winston, Koetter) and the ugly(McCown, Lovie) which has come out to an average of 81-1,259-9 over his 7 seasons. 
I agree that Evans is underrated and great, but he is not the only player or WR to have 7 straight 1,000 seasons.  Jerry Rice, for one, had 11 straight, and I know Torry Holt had 8 straight.  Many others I cannot recall off the top of my head. 

At this point in his career, maybe. Evans has some major holes in his game but he has been incredibly effective the league. However, as someone with no Evans this year and a good amount of McLaurin, I hope we look back at the end of the year and think this isn't such a stretch. 
I didn't take that post to mean 2021 McLaurin would outscore 2021 Evans in fantasy points. I took it as current McLaurin might be a better WR than peak Evans(when he had Fitzpatrick as his QB) if he just meant that he'd rather have McLaurin than Evans this season, then sure, so would I, though I like both as top-10 WRs. 

I agree that Evans is underrated and great, but he is not the only player or WR to have 7 straight 1,000 seasons.  Jerry Rice, for one, had 11 straight, and I know Torry Holt had 8 straight.  Many others I cannot recall off the top of my head. 
I thought I typed it, but apparently I left it out, I meant to say 7 straight to begin his career. 

I didn't take that post to mean 2021 McLaurin would outscore 2021 Evans in fantasy points. I took it as current McLaurin might be a better WR than peak Evans(when he had Fitzpatrick as his QB) if he just meant that he'd rather have McLaurin than Evans this season, then sure, so would I, though I like both as top-10 WRs. 
That’s how I took it as well. I hope McLaurin goes so crazy this year that people think maybe he is as good as Evans ever was. 

For FANTASY, especially PPR, it's not that hard to make the case that McLaurin is better than Evans, due to the consistency in numbers.  But in real football Evans is already in the HOF conversation, McLaurin could be some day, but nowhere near it now.

For FANTASY, especially PPR, it's not that hard to make the case that McLaurin is better than Evans, due to the consistency in numbers.  But in real football Evans is already in the HOF conversation, McLaurin could be some day, but nowhere near it now.
Fair and I agree 100%. I don't think we've seen the best of McLaurin. I think we already have of Evans. 

Fair and I agree 100%. I don't think we've seen the best of McLaurin. I think we already have of Evans. 

hard to say we've seen the best of Evans...still 27 and most expect the Bucs offense to be improved.  Not to mention glowing camp reports substantiated by Arians.

Terry McLaurin caught 4-of-4 targets for 62 yards in Washington's 20-16 Week 1 loss to the Chargers. 

Without a miraculous sideline grab in the second half, McLaurin's day would have been disastrous for fantasy managers. The Football Team's No. 1 wideout was once again the victim of bad quarterback play, as he was throughout 2020. Ryan Fitzpatrick was terrible before exiting the game with a hip injury and Taylor Heinicke was erratic throughout. McLaurin will need to become a target hog in Washington's offense if he's going to outperform his redraft ADP this season. His Week 2 matchup against the Giants is far better than his Week 1 matchup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry McLaurin caught 11-of-14 targets for 107 yards and a touchdown in Washington's Week 2 win over the Giants. 

This was the kind of effort McLaurin provided several times early last season before injury and quarterback issues took hold. The 11 catches were a new career high. Fill-in starter Taylor Heinicke decided on a McLaurin-or-bust strategy after a quiet first quarter and McLaurin responded with one critical chain-moving grab after another. He is far and away the most important weapon in this passing attack, and Heinicke was able to make that critical determination on only three days rest coming out of his Week 1 relief appearance. The duo should continue to hook up for a targets bonanza, stabilizing McLaurin's WR1 value. He does face a stiff Week 3 test in Tre'Davious White and the Bills. 

Sep 17, 2021, 12:18 AM ET

Terry McLaurin caught 6-of-13 targets for 123 yards and two touchdowns in Washington's Week 4 win against the Falcons. 

McLaurin posted a hefty 39.39 percent target share on his way to another huge stat line. Taylor Heinicke's aggressiveness again led to McLaurin scores -- once on a beautiful 33-yard pass after McLaurin had cleared two Atlanta defenders, and another on a lofted prayer to the back of the end zone in the second half. Heinicke should continue to give McLaurin high-value downfield chances next week against a New Orleans defense that was dismantled by Daniel Jones in Week 4.

Terry McLaurin caught four of 11 targets for 46 yards in Washington's Week 5 loss to the Saints. 

McLaurin battled with stud CB Marshon Lattimore throughout the game, creating separation a few times, all for naught. Taylor Heinicke had a handful of wild throws that should have been picked -- he missed McLaurin on a couple wide open looks in the second half. McLaurin will remain a target monster in a Football Team offense that will usually be chasing points in the second half thanks to a putrid defense whose effort should be questioned after its Week 5 dud against Jameis Winston. McLaurin should see a glut of targets in Week 6 against Kansas City. 

Oct 10, 2021, 4:31 PM ET

He got Lattimored. Targets were there, but so was the coverage. 
Nothing against Lattimore, he's great, but it was Taylor's weak floaters that allowed him to "make up" the separation that Terry had all game long. If Washington had a QB who could really sling it, Terry would have had a monster day. He would every week, as his route running and hands really are elite. 

The way Rivera made it sound, is that McLaurin's DNP was precautionary. Its possible this isn't anything serious, but its certainly something to keep an eye on. If McLaurin is active, he's basically impossible to sit this week.

ESPN's John Keim said Terry McLaurin (hamstring) was "feeling good" Saturday, a "good sign" for his Week 6 availability. 

McLaurin logged a nightmare DNP Friday after injuring his hamstring, an injury head coach Ron Rivera later downplayed. He's listed as questionable and shapes up as a full blown game-time decision. It would be a shame for McLaurin to miss a fantastic matchup against a Kansas City secondary being ripped by everyone they face. Taylor Heinicke's Week 6 outlook would take a major hit without his alpha receiver. 

SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter 

Oct 16, 2021, 4:49 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Terry McLaurin (hamstring) is expected to play in Week 6 against the Chiefs.

McLaurin logged a precautionary DNP on Friday but gets a juicy matchup with the Chiefs. Kansas City is allowing nearly 300 passing yards per game this year and McLaurin has accounted for 33 percent of the Football team's receiving production to date. Despite the potential for McLaurin to be limited by the injury, he's in too good of a spot to pass on. He should push for WR1 numbers versus the Chiefs this week.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 17, 2021, 8:59 AM ET

Terry McLaurin caught four of eight targets for 28 yards in the Football Team's Week 6 loss to the Chiefs. 

McLaurin failed to come down with a couple downfield balls from Taylor Heinicke in the first half, taking odd angles to the ball after outrunning his coverage. Though he toughed it out and saw a full complement of snaps despite hurting his hamstring during Friday's practice, Heinicke was unable to take advantage of the (very) exploitable KC secondary. McLaurin will continue to be a borderline WR1 option in 12-team formats next week against the Packers.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Terry McLaurin has 14 targets of more than 20 yards, the third most in the NFL. 

Ja'Marr Chase and Courtland Sutton are the only wideouts with more deep targets than McLaurin through Week 6. No other Football Team pass catchers has more than five downfield looks. McLaurin has connected on just five of those 12 downfield shots from Taylor Heinicke, who missed his top wideout on two deep throws against Kansas City's awful secondary in Week 6. The good news: McLaurin's route tree wasn't limited against the Chiefs after tweaking his hamstring in Friday's practice. His downfield usage has been encouraging in the early going; hopefully McLaurin -- fantasy's WR18 this season -- and Heinicke can find some chemistry on those high-value targets. Washington takes on Green Bay in Week 7. 

Oct 19, 2021, 8:00 AM ET

This boom bust act is pretty tiring. It's been a bummer for 3-4 games out of the 6 now. And the two games with TD's were poorly thrown balls (2 of 3) but Terry is talented enough to turn lemonade out of lemons.

GB isn't the best matchup on the road either, even without Jaire 

This boom bust act is pretty tiring. It's been a bummer for 3-4 games out of the 6 now. And the two games with TD's were poorly thrown balls (2 of 3) but Terry is talented enough to turn lemonade out of lemons.

GB isn't the best matchup on the road either, even without Jaire 
I actually think Green Bay is an excellent matchup. They will be chasing points, and GB is really weak at CB. 

I do wonder if Fitzpatrick's return(which could be as soon as next week) will help McLaurin's consistency. I think Heinicke has proven he's nothing to write home about as a starter. 

Terry McLaurin (hamstring) is not on the injury report for Week 7.

McLaurin was upgraded to a full practice Friday, a great sign after he played through the injury last week. Fantasy managers should expect McLaurin, who has the third most deep targets in the league, to be close to 100 percent for Sunday's matchup with the Packers. Green Bay has allowed the fourth fewest passing yards, but have given up 13 touchdowns through the first six weeks. 

Oct 22, 2021, 6:39 PM ET

Terry McLaurin (shoulder) was upgraded to "full" on Thursday. 

We wouldn't have been worried about McLaurin's status even if he had remained "limited," but he will now officially be a go against the Panthers. McLaurin could see a large dose of Stephon Gilmore in what is an exceedingly poor matchup for Taylor Heinicke, so he is a mid-range to low-end WR2 this week instead of flirting with WR1 status. 

Nov 18, 2021, 2:02 PM ET

Terry McLaurin caught 4-of-7 targets for 51 yards in Washington's Week 12 win over the Seahawks.

His seven targets tied Antonio Gibson for the team lead, narrowly edging out Logan Thomas's six. McLaurin paced the team in receiving yards on a night Taylor Heinicke threw for just 223 yards and one score, which went to J.D. McKissic in the first half. McLaurin has seen at least seven targets in every game since Week 1 and is an upside WR1/2 ahead of a Week 13 date with the Raiders.

Nov 29, 2021, 11:54 PM ET

Surprised at how quiet this thread has been.

McLaurin has hurt a bunch of fantasy teams.    Fortunately I only had him in 1 of 4 redrafts....... and this week I'm starting Chris Godwin, Davante Adams, and Brandin Cooks over him  and benching McLaurin. (start 3 WRs)

In said league, I have an essentially meaningless matchup this week, so I can afford to bench him and hope he comes back to life. I'm already locked in to a playoff spot.  (10 teamer, 4 teams make the playoffs, weeks 16-17)

He has some good matchups in the fantasy playoffs, but its gotten impossible to trust.

Everything I have read says the QB play is so bad there, he is in a hole he likely won't get out of this season.

At this point, we have to hope they draft a better QB, or sign a better veteran who can help his output......  if this doesn't change, I'm definitely OUT on McLaurin next year in drafts.

Maybe some of the Redskin homers can chime in , as I don't really watch those games.

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread