What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My haven’t taken list. (1 Viewer)

Mongidig

Footballguy
Every year there are players I just always pass on. I’m not saying they are necessarily avoids but I’m just not taking them. Every year I seem to pas on somebody who ends up being good. I’m gonna list some of these players I’m passing on. Maybe you can talk me into taking some of them. These are all round 7 or earlier. This is a 2 RB 3 Wr league. PPR. I feel like I get tunnel vision every year and target the same players and avoiding the same players

Joe Mixon
D Smith
J Gibbs
A Jones
C Kirk
Mattison
Mclaurin
Akers
R White.

IS D. smith devonta smith? don't avoid that guy.
Avoid McLaurin at all costs. he's not the no. 1 WR on that team, and he's likely going to miss 3-5 weeks with turf toe. that means he's going to feel it all season long.
Kirk has decent value, solid no. 3 WR
skip R. white, A. Jones but do draft Gibbs.
skip Mattison

Every year there are players I just always pass on. I’m not saying they are necessarily avoids but I’m just not taking them. Every year I seem to pas on somebody who ends up being good. I’m gonna list some of these players I’m passing on. Maybe you can talk me into taking some of them. These are all round 7 or earlier. This is a 2 RB 3 Wr league. PPR. I feel like I get tunnel vision every year and target the same players and avoiding the same players

Joe Mixon
D Smith
J Gibbs
A Jones
C Kirk
Mattison
Mclaurin
Akers
R White.
Mixon I get, Slim Reaper walks in the shadows of AJ Brown
Gibbs? You might be off on this one
Aaron Jones? Undervalued IMO, GB tried to move AJ Dillon, that means he either doesn't fit their mold or he isn't as good as some think

Kirk? Loses targets to Ridley but will feast out of the slot with a true WR1 pulling coverage with him, he did it at AZ and has a year head start with Lawrence, sign me up!
Mattison? Yeah I think he loses his starting spot at some point, not excited about him.
I love Dotson so I pass on McL
Akers? Doesn't inspire me
And White in Tampa Bay with Baker running the offense and Todd Bowles as the Head Coach?
Get me off that ship, quickly!

Joe Mixon
D Smith
J Gibbs
A Jones
C Kirk
Mattison
Mclaurin
Akers
R White.
Mixon I get, Slim Reaper walks in the shadows of AJ Brown
Gibbs? You might be off on this one
Aaron Jones? Undervalued IMO, GB tried to move AJ Dillon, that means he either doesn't fit their mold or he isn't as good as some think

Kirk? Loses targets to Ridley but will feast out of the slot with a true WR1 pulling coverage with him, he did it at AZ and has a year head start with Lawrence, sign me up!
Mattison? Yeah I think he loses his starting spot at some point, not excited about him.
I love Dotson so I pass on McL
Akers? Doesn't inspire me
And White in Tampa Bay with Baker running the offense and Todd Bowles as the Head Coach?
Get me off that ship, quickly!
I agree with you on A Jones. He’s going late fourth in my drafts. I ‘ve only taken him once but I think I’m gonna grab more shares.
I really like K Williams way late so I’m passing on Akers. He’s a very boring pick on a bad team.
I like TY Chandler late so passing on Mattisson usually.

Avoid McLaurin at all costs. he's not the no. 1 WR on that team, and he's likely going to miss 3-5 weeks with turf toe. that means he's going to feel it all season long.
skip Mattison
I had heard that Devonta Smith got most of his production with Goedert out of the line up. I just looked and it appears he still did well. He had couple dud games. I think the reason I’m not getting him is because he’s going early third and if Josh Allen is there I’m taking him. Also, when I take Chase early I like to get Higgins in the third to set up a Burrow stack. This is Best ball.

I’m big on Ridley so I’m kind of fading Kirk. I love the player. Ridley is another I like snagging early third.

There might not be a more underrated player than Alexander Mattison in my opinion. I think he's in zero danger of losing his job and is a 3-down starter. Admittedly, he isn't some great talent, but he's gonna see 250 touches, and probably score at least 7-8 TDs.

Solid 5th round pick, who often goes later.

ETA: I get he's not exciting, but his role and his team are about as good as it gets after the elite guys.

I think D Smith and Kirk are pretty safe picks. I also think there is a world where Akers ends up putting RB1 numbers. Finished strong, not much competition for touches in the backfield, and should be motivated for a second contract. That possibility is not without risk however, as the Rams could implode and McKay seems to have a love/hate relationship with him.

Round by round (Fantasy Pros AD), here are the guys that just literally never cross my mind to take. Might as well just not even exist on my cheat sheet:

1: Bijan- too many great players with clear roles for me to take a spin on a rookie in a slow paced offense

2: Josh Jacobs- 2022 was a magical year but I have always been and will remain skeptical of Jacobs. Seems weird for him to in his 4th year all of a sudden look like a totally different player and take on this workhorse role- something previous coaches in the NFL and college didn't see for him. It just seems too good to be true.

3: Chris Olave- I think he is being miscast a bit for fantasy. He's Terry McLaurin to me and not the next breakout star. I think where he is going you are taking him at his ceiling.

4: Deebo- I don't think he's getting used as a runner like was saw in his sensational 2021 year and strictly as a receiver, this offense isn't likely to be pass heavy enough to support Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk and CMC all as prolific pass catchers. With Deebo as the most expensive, I have to pass. That's before we even talk about his injury history.

5: Alexander Mattison- He wasn't an interesting prospect, really hasn't been that good in limited opportunities. When do we see late round guys like this just all of a sudden at age 25 become successful lead backs? I am getting all the Ty Chandler I can because I swear we see a player like Mattison every year and it seems to fail 95% of the time (Mike Davis anyone? How about a Ben Tate call back?)

6: Kyle Pitts-I am a believer in him long term but this just isn't an offense I want to be buying pass catchers on. He wasn't just disappointing last year, he was downright droppable. What has changed? Desmond Ritter? Not doing it for me at a 6th round price.

7: Pittman- solid player but one who isn't capable of transcending his offense, probably needs high volume to really deliver for fantasy, I don't see that happening with a running rookie QB

8: AJ Dillon- I know he is big and fast but he plays like he is small and slow. Not a good back, sharing the field with a very good back and on a likely slow offense, I just don't see the upside here

At this point, it's kind of whatever. Throw out ADP and just take the guys like believe in.

Round by round (Fantasy Pros AD), here are the guys that just literally never cross my mind to take. Might as well just not even exist on my cheat sheet:

1: Bijan- too many great players with clear roles for me to take a spin on a rookie in a slow paced offense

2: Josh Jacobs- 2022 was a magical year but I have always been and will remain skeptical of Jacobs. Seems weird for him to in his 4th year all of a sudden look like a totally different player and take on this workhorse role- something previous coaches in the NFL and college didn't see for him. It just seems too good to be true.

3: Chris Olave- I think he is being miscast a bit for fantasy. He's Terry McLaurin to me and not the next breakout star. I think where he is going you are taking him at his ceiling.

4: Deebo- I don't think he's getting used as a runner like was saw in his sensational 2021 year and strictly as a receiver, this offense isn't likely to be pass heavy enough to support Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk and CMC all as prolific pass catchers. With Deebo as the most expensive, I have to pass. That's before we even talk about his injury history.

5: Alexander Mattison- He wasn't an interesting prospect, really hasn't been that good in limited opportunities. When do we see late round guys like this just all of a sudden at age 25 become successful lead backs? I am getting all the Ty Chandler I can because I swear we see a player like Mattison every year and it seems to fail 95% of the time (Mike Davis anyone? How about a Ben Tate call back?)

6: Kyle Pitts-I am a believer in him long term but this just isn't an offense I want to be buying pass catchers on. He wasn't just disappointing last year, he was downright droppable. What has changed? Desmond Ritter? Not doing it for me at a 6th round price.

7: Pittman- solid player but one who isn't capable of transcending his offense, probably needs high volume to really deliver for fantasy, I don't see that happening with a running rookie QB

8: AJ Dillon- I know he is big and fast but he plays like he is small and slow. Not a good back, sharing the field with a very good back and on a likely slow offense, I just don't see the upside here

At this point, it's kind of whatever. Throw out ADP and just take the guys like believe in.
I was grabbing a lot of Olave early on but I think you are right. He should be more 3/4 turn than 1/2 turn.

AJ Dillon is another one I forgot to put.

pittman is gonna be frustrating to own.

I too am drafting a lot of Ty Chandler. These average guy’s who are presumably gonna get a big work load don’t seem to work out.

I don’t mind taking a shot on Bijan. These highly drafted RB’s historically get lots of work. I can still get a stud WR in round two.

D. Henry - I don't want to be left holding the bag when the wheels come off. I'm drafting a lot of Spears, who may be flex-worthy even if he only has a 3rd down role, and he may get used a lot more than that.

Lamb - I'm not sure McCarthy can deliver a top offense. He should still be very good, I'm just not sold on him at the 1/2 turn.

Adams - I'm not convinced Garappolo can deliver well enough to meet his beg./mid 2nd round price.

Mixon - no thanks. One game with 5 TDs does not a good 2nd rounder make.

Etienne - not a fan. I'm drafting Bigsby later.

Deebo/Kittle - too many good pass catchers here for their price in a presumed low volume offense. I'll take Aiyuk at a much cheaper cost.

M. Evans/R. White/Godwin - I'm avoiding this pending disaster. Many good players in better situations go in their ADP range.

Pitts - just can't do it again after last year. I'll take Waller or Goedert in the same range.

Freiermuth/Engram - meh. If I don't have a TE at this point, I'll punt until later and I bet I can get equal production.

Javonte Williams - if he plays a near full season and delivers 6th round value, I'll gladly eat my words. I'll take Perine later.

McLaurin - I like Dotson better at a cheaper cost.

D. Henry - I don't want to be left holding the bag when the wheels come off. I'm drafting a lot of Spears, who may be flex-worthy even if he only has a 3rd down role, and he may get used a lot more than that.

Lamb - I'm not sure McCarthy can deliver a top offense. He should still be very good, I'm just not sold on him at the 1/2 turn.

Adams - I'm not convinced Garappolo can deliver well enough to meet his beg./mid 2nd round price.

Deebo/Kittle - too many good pass catchers here for their price in a presumed low volume offense. I'll take Aiyuk at a much cheaper cost.

M. Evans/R. White/Godwin - I'm avoiding this pending disaster. Many good players in better situations go in their ADP range.

Pitts - just can't do it again after last year. I'll take Waller or Goedert in the same range.

Freiermuth/Engram - meh. If I don't have a TE at this point, I'll punt until later and I bet I can get equal production.

Javonte Williams - if he plays a near full season and delivers 6th round value, I'll gladly eat my words. I'll take Perine later.

I agree with all except Davante Adams. Jimmy G is plenty good enough to get him the ball. Adams had a monster game with Stidham last year. Davante Adams is really good.

I don't hate the Bucs guy's. You can get them at a huge discount this year. One of the receivers could be traded to a much better situation. People are goofing on the Bucs like they were last year with Seattle. You never know. Could Mayfield be this years Geno Smith?

Everything else is spot on.

I agree with all except Davante Adams. Jimmy G is plenty good enough to get him the ball. Adams had a monster game with Stidham last year. Davante Adams is really good.

I don't hate the Bucs guy's. You can get them at a huge discount this year. One of the receivers could be traded to a much better situation. People are goofing on the Bucs like they were last year with Seattle. You never know. Could Mayfield be this years Geno Smith?

Yeah I got Godwin really cheap as my wr4. If he shows me something for the first few weeks I'm planning on moving one of my higher wrs for something good in a trade.

You are probably right about Adams. He and Lamb have a good chance of making me look foolish. Although, with the other WRs going in the same range (Brown, St. Brown, Wilson), I am comfortable passing on Adams/Lamb for one of those.

Kyle Pitts: Just looks slow
Rashad White: They couldn't run last year. What's different this year?
Pittman: Young QB with accuracy issues and now no stud RB to keep the defense honest

Agree with nearly everything you say here except for Olave. I think he’s due for a big sophomore season.
Agreed. Carr has been good enough to support some very good numbers for his top WR in the past so not sure why this would be different.

Agree with nearly everything you say here except for Olave. I think he’s due for a big sophomore season.
Agreed. Carr has been good enough to support some very good numbers for his top WR in the past so not sure why this would be different.
I don't think Olave is Adams so I don't to make that comparison. I can definitely see Olave performing like Amari Cooper did with the Raiders. 70-80 receptions, 1000-1100 yards, 4-7 TDs. I just don't think that is what I am looking where Olave is going (which now is like 2/3 turn). Another factor is the Saints played really slow last year. Their pace of play is likely a negative factor here.

I don't think Olave is Adams so I don't to make that comparison. I can definitely see Olave performing like Amari Cooper did with the Raiders. 70-80 receptions, 1000-1100 yards, 4-7 TDs. I just don't think that is what I am looking where Olave is going (which now is like 2/3 turn). Another factor is the Saints played really slow last year. Their pace of play is likely a negative factor here.
He had 72 receptions for 1,042 yards and 4 TDs as a rookie. I just view it as a QB upgrade and sophomore year growth which is not out of the norm for WRs.

Last edited:

He had 72 receptions for 1,042 yards and 42 TDs as a rookie. I just view it as a QB upgrade and sophomore year growth which is not out of the norm for WRs.
Maybe, maybe not. Dalton was better than Carr last year in just about every passing metric that's not just volume based. Also, not every WR gets better year 2. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Seems like a steep price to pay relative to the players who are out there and have already demonstrated the upside we are baking into Olave.

He had 72 receptions for 1,042 yards and 42 TDs as a rookie. I just view it as a QB upgrade and sophomore year growth which is not out of the norm for WRs.
Maybe, maybe not. Dalton was better than Carr last year in just about every passing metric that's not just volume based. Also, not every WR gets better year 2. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Seems like a steep price to pay relative to the players who are out there and have already demonstrated the upside we are baking into Olave.
The problem with Olave is that he isn't a run after the catch big play guy like the others going around this range. Was his solid rookie year more a product of him being pro ready? In other words are we seeing what he is or is their room to grow?

The problem with Olave is that he isn't a run after the catch big play guy like the others going around this range. Was his solid rookie year more a product of him being pro ready? In other words are we seeing what he is or is their room to grow?
HIstorically most rookies improve after their 1st season so yes there is room for him to grow.

I was a little surprised by 80s comments about Dalton having better efficiency metrics than Carr last season and looking it up that seems to be true. Carr had his worst season last year since his rookie season. I wonder why that happened?

That said Carr isnt old by QB standards and I believe he is significantly better than Dalton and should be an upgrade for Olave.

As far as YAC goes part of that is because of ball placement by the QB and anticipation with their throws as much as a recieivers ability to change direction, make defenders miss and get up field.

skip Mattison
I had heard that Devonta Smith got most of his production with Goedert out of the line up. I just looked and it appears he still did well. He had couple dud games. I think the reason I’m not getting him is because he’s going early third and if Josh Allen is there I’m taking him. Also, when I take Chase early I like to get Higgins in the third to set up a Burrow stack.

skip Mattison
I had heard that Devonta Smith got most of his production with Goedert out of the line up. I just looked and it appears he still did well. He had couple dud games. I think the reason I’m not getting him is because he’s going early third and if Josh Allen is there I’m taking him. Also, when I take Chase early I like to get Higgins in the third to set up a Burrow stack. This is Best ball.

I’m big on Ridley so I’m kind of fading Kirk. I love the player. Ridley is another I like snagging early third.
In the Eagles last 12 games last year, including the playoffs, Smith had more targets, more catches, more yards and the same amount of TD's as A.J. Brown. Smith saw at least 8 targets in all of those games except the San Fran playoff game.

skip Mattison
I had heard that Devonta Smith got most of his production with Goedert out of the line up. I just looked and it appears he still did well. He had couple dud games. I think the reason I’m not getting him is because he’s going early third and if Josh Allen is there I’m taking him. Also, when I take Chase early I like to get Higgins in the third to set up a Burrow stack.

skip Mattison

In the Eagles last 12 games last year, including the playoffs, Smith had more targets, more catches, more yards and the same amount of TD's as A.J. Brown. Smith saw at least 8 targets in all of those games except the San Fran playoff game.
Smith is a perfect example of why I’m never even thinking about Olave. I’ll take him over Olave every time.

I think that's certainly in play.
And it wouldn't be nearly as much of a stretch as it was for Geno. Geno had never had a season in the league that could be labeled as "almost decent".
Baker has almost always been "pretty decent", and let us never discount that he had an 11 win season with the Cleveland Browns with pretty respectable passing stats.

But the moral of the story is the same. You can't completely write off a guy who's only played for the Cleveland Browns and Matt Ruhle (and a few games with a mentally checked out McVay).

skip Mattison

skip Mattison

In the regular season, Smith had slightly more receptions than Brown on slightly fewer targets. He trailed Brown by 300 yards and 4 TDs. This tells me they're pretty equally involved in the offense and the difference is that Brown makes more big plays.

Kupp--words like 'specialist' and 'setback' :sick:

B. Robinson--WAS---I 100% feel like his ADP is higher than it warrants because he was shot, and recovered. Plus, I'm a Gibson guy.

Zay Flowers/TankDell/Tutu Alwell/Deuce Vaughn--People are rooting for little guys, so they go too high. I like Vaughn and Flowers as NFL prospects, but not as starters for my team.

Cam Akers--Not a believer

San Fran offensive players--I feel like spreading it around is what's gonna happen here. Aiyuk might be good enough to command alpha touches, but man, just too many good players there.

B. Robinson--WAS---I 100% feel like his ADP is higher than it warrants because he was shot, and recovered.
I see it the same way. Not to minimize at all what he went through - it's impossible not to root for the guy - but I do think there's a bit of sentimentality built into his ADP.

One name tops my list:

Deebo Samuel

I don't get how he's a Round 3-4 pick with McCaffrey on this team. He's been in the league 4 years. 1 of which seems like a huge outlier.

Users who are viewing this thread