What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No dog in the fight. I didn't even watch the game. But I honestly don't know how anyone can view that replay as anything other than a blatant cheap shot. The fact you are so adamant about it actually pretty shocking to me. No idea how you can justify that?
Nobody boxes out like that. Jokic at 6:50ish boxing out a guy without a shoulder injury.

Harden runs over Green on that floater. Refs:  :whistle:
And he took a bunch of contact on other drives with nothing.  Thompson hacked Paul a bit too at the end of regulation that led to the jump ball.

They swallowed the whistles a lot.  

Being a Houston fan, the only thing that pissed me off was the ticker tape parade after the victory.  Pump your breaks Toyota Center.  It's only Game 3.  

Pretty comfortable that whoever wins tomorrow's Raptors/Sixers game is going to take the series.  If Toronto comes out on fire and wins that game, I can't see them losing 2 of the next 3, especially with 2 at home.   If Philly goes up 3-1, that's it.  Seems like Toronto in 7 or Philly in 6 is the way this is gonna go, and tomorrow decides it.
Been saying Philly in 6 from the beginning.

From ESPN:

"To date, Harden has made 5,604 regular season free throws vs. 5,499 field goals. In the playoffs, he has posted 761 free throws vs. 745 field goals."

Interesting
What's so odd about this?  Seems his free throw to fg ratio is about the same in the reg season vs the playoffs?

What's so odd about this?  Seems his free throw to fg ratio is about the same in the reg season vs the playoffs?
It's weird to have a guy have that FT-FG ratio in general, whether regular season or playoffs.  That just doesn't happen.  It's a sign of how extreme Harden's FT attempts are.

Back to actual games, Curry is the reason GS lost tonight.  He played awful, particularly in the 4th.   Missed so many layups, also had a bunch of poor defensive plays.

Jokic is boxing out on a FT and the doofus Kanter isn't moving for some reason.  That's on Kanter.
You don't box out by aiming and swinging your elbow/shoulder towards an injured player from an opposing team. You box out  with your legs and back.  Jokic did the same thing earlier in the series when he slammed Kanter into another Denver player (torrey craig if I remember right).  As a person that has played basketball for 25 years--calling what Jokic did a standard "box out" move is completely disingenuous.  What he did was blatantly a dirty play that he tried to sell as being a box out.  I'm all for physical play and physical players--but I have a hard time respecting people that try to play physical in a dirty manner. 

Here is the play from a few days ago. Go to the 1:50 mark.  On a free throw--Jokic basically pushes Kanter into Torrey Craig.  Was he boxing out there too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS1P-WqGZ9c

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't box out by aiming and swinging your elbow/shoulder towards an injured player from an opposing team. You box out  with your legs and back.  Jokic did the same thing earlier in the series when he slammed Kanter into another Denver player (torrey craig if I remember right).  As a person that has played basketball for 25 years--calling what Jokic did a standard "box out" move is completely disingenuous.  What he did was blatantly a dirty play that he tried to sell as being a box out.  I'm all for physical play and physical players--but I have a hard time respecting people that try to play physical in a dirty manner. 
I'm sorry, but if Kanter was actually trying to go for a rebound I'd get your point, but Kanter was clearly just letting Jokic get the ball and Jokic putting his wrist/elbow on Kanter's chest is fine in that situation IMO.

I'm sorry, but if Kanter was actually trying to go for a rebound I'd get your point, but Kanter was clearly just letting Jokic get the ball and Jokic putting his wrist/elbow on Kanter's chest is fine in that situation IMO.
Jokic was not going for the ball first in either situation.  In both situations--Jokic is shoving or elbowing an injured Kanter out of the way before he even attempts to defend the area to box out.   In both instances Jokic has inside position---and Jokic has a considerable size advantage on him--there is zero need for him to shove/elbow kanter further back.  All jokic needs to do is put his back to kanter and step back.  Jokic absolutely added unneeded and unnatural moves in both instances.  Both instances were dirty non-basketball plays. I'm a big Jokic fan--but those are complete bush league plays. 

Btw, when your defensive strategy is to throw bodies at a player and be as physical as possible, in what you believe is the only way to stop said player, fouls are going to be called.

HTH
Thank you for that comment.  After hearing Kyrie gripe about how the game was slowed down due to fouls being called, I re-watched the game and everything they called seemed reasonable.  I guess in his eyes physical defense is acceptable because you are not slowing down the game.

Yea, I don’t get that at all. They just gave up. 
This bothers me so much about the NBA.  I don't know if it is primarily Golden State's arrogance, but we even saw it in game 7 of Denver-SA.  Players just shrugging their shoulders and being okay with a loss.

Raptors are 6-0 this season in games officiated by Marc Davis and 11-1 in games officiated by Tony Brothers. Davis and Brothers make up two-thirds of today's crew working the game.

Raptors are 6-0 this season in games officiated by Marc Davis and 11-1 in games officiated by Tony Brothers. Davis and Brothers make up two-thirds of today's crew working the game.
Prepare for a busy day of modogg posts.

But ya, that was Quite the late foul call there jeez.

Prepare for a busy day of modogg posts.

But ya, that was Quite the late foul call there jeez.
ehh, the officiating is the same as the other games. nothing new, so nothing to add. 

ETA: certainly are enjoying calling silly stuff on Philly though

wish i saw this before i bet today. will be 7-0 and 12-1. nice job NBA

It's the first quarter. Relax. After Joel s customary first quarter break, we'll come back and get some of these calls going our way. They've called the sixers for 4 offensive fouls. They can't keep calling them at that rate all game 

It's the first quarter. Relax. After Joel s customary first quarter break, we'll come back and get some of these calls going our house at. They've called the sixers for 4 offensive fouls. They can't keep calling them at that rate all game 
Sixers just need more acting and flop better

Sixers shooting pretty rough. Hope it is just some nerves to start here. without Jimmy and Joel Sixers would be down like 23. 

sheesh, Sixers shooting horrendously. if they can keep it to only being down 5 by the 2nd half you have to consider that a win. F'n Ben should just dunk everything since his layups are rolling out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread