What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (11 Viewers)

How much do you think Brook will get?  

Edit: Looks like Bucks could go up to $14 million as of now.  So, I guess he'll get between $10 and $14.  Seems reasonable.
Yeah, I think the Kings/Pelicans will provide the leverage for him to get $14 from the Bucks. 

I was just listening to the radio on my drive, and had the thought of could you imagine if you were Kawhi Leonard right now?  Talk about having the world at your fingertips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slapdash said:
It was pretty clear at the time that they were locking in a marginal playoff team at best.
They were the #5 seed in the east in the season prior to signing Batum and MKG and it would have been fair to assume that most of the team had a lot of room to still improve as they were all fairly young. They certainly weren't going to contend for a title, but seeing an uptick to wins in the low 50s would not have been remotely out of the question. I'd argue that for a market like Charlotte, especially with a cheap owner, that would be a success. On the whole, the small market teams similar to the Hornets should have different set of expectations... Unless they happen to grow the greatest small forward of all time on their backyard.

Orlando is planning to offer Vucevic 4-year deal in excess of $90MM -Stein

Golden State is planning to offer Klay 5-year $190MM max contract -Woj

Rockets have a trade partner for Clint Capela but are not going to pull the trigger unless they are confident they can land Jimmy Butler -Stein

Brooklyn has extended a qualifying offer to D’Angelo Russell, making him a restricted free agent -Shams

Magic Johnson will join Jeanie Buss during pitch meeting to Kawhi Leonard -Stein

KD is not set on Brooklyn yet; NYK, GS, LAC all very much in play still -Haynes, Begley
If Vuc was coming off the same year he had in 17-18, does he get much more than the non tax payer mid-level? I didn't watch any of there games last year so maybe Cappy or somebody else can set me straight, but I would not pay that kind of money to a 29 YO center who just had a significant outlier season.

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

What we know (we hope) just 48 hours before the start of NBA free agency:

*Kemba to Boston

*Klay stays

*Kyrie to Brooklyn -- unless the Lakers miss on Kawhi and swoop in

*Khris M stays -- unless Milwaukee's five-year offer is less than expected

*Vucevic stays with Orlando

4:57 PM · Jun 28, 2019
 Just clutter if you ask me, clickbait. he was the one who said the Sixers were having all sorts of internal strife and Jimmy was taking over the team after fighting with everyone (including Brett Brown). came out with this at the oddest time too if i remember correctly. Dude could have some right, but he is a shill. Give me Woj, Lowe, or Shams 

also was listening, to something today that said the Charlotte news was posturing by Kemba's agent. also see zero reason why Kawhi would go to the Lakers after winning with Toronto. SImply nonsense. 

ETA: i guess with this stuff, there is zero reason for a team to report or player to report any pre signings. there is so much posturing by everyone, and the incentive to share this news with a media source from the New York times seems silly. I can see Woj or someone in national media, but Stein just seems to be posturing for a job at one of the networks

ETA2: now this is good clickbait that i like. From Toronto media, and why 6'ers are a real threat to get Kawhi (they aren't, but man would be fun if they were. Thank you Toronto media for writing this up):  https://raptorsrapture.com/2019/06/28/toronto-raptors-philadelphia-76ers-real-threat-steal-kawhi-leonard/

If Vuc was coming off the same year he had in 17-18, does he get much more than the non tax payer mid-level? I didn't watch any of there games last year so maybe Cappy or somebody else can set me straight, but I would not pay that kind of money to a 29 YO center who just had a significant outlier season.
I uhhhhhh...didn’t watch many Magic games either. He had an outlier year but he’s always been a good scorer. If you sign him you can always trade him if Bamba develops. 

funniest thing about all these rumors and "news" is how information is leaked. Love the Horford rumors, with details of the contract offer, then :poof:  really interested if he did get that offer from a team, and if so why all the stuff coming out just went away

"Fun Fact: Ben Simmons joined LeBron James and Oscar Robertson this past season as the only players to post 2500 points, 1000 rebounds and 1000 assists in their first 2 NBA seasons"

from reddit/nba

funniest thing about all these rumors and "news" is how information is leaked. Love the Horford rumors, with details of the contract offer, then :poof:  really interested if he did get that offer from a team, and if so why all the stuff coming out just went away
Horford will probably be the first one Woj tweets out On Sunday 

Whoah, Darren Collison is retiring per Woj and Stein. PG market gets a little tighter.
hmm, i am guessing Pacers were seeking a PG in free agency, let Collison know, and he opted to retire? timing seems to be strange here

ETA: just realized Collison was a free agent.  :bag:

hmm, i am guessing Pacers were seeking a PG in free agency, let Collison know, and he opted to retire? timing seems to be strange here

ETA: just realized Collison was a free agent.  :bag:
It’s definitely weird considering he was apparently about to get $10+ million per year. He was arrested and suspended for domestic violence a few years ago, so he’s had some personal issues. 

Kawhi to the Lakers talk is heating up, so is talk of KD and Kawhi teaming up for the Clippers. Put me in a coma and wake me up July 5, this is agonizing.

I think there needs to be more talk about what kind of Player KD will be when he returns from an Achilles tear. He's not going to be right next year. Even playoffs. That's fully out. The first season back is usually subpar for a player while he gets used to operating at a normal level again. The 2nd season back is when they say a player feels fine to play again but they have lost a lot of time and rhythm. A large majority of players who receive this injury in basketball don't play beyond 2 years after the injury. 

Now KD is a bonafide hall of famer. Top 20 player of all time based on his current accomplishments alone. But who ever gets him will probably be in for a huge let down. It will be a wasted first year followed by an un-KD like second year and then the third year where you hold your breath to see if he still has anything left. That's a ton of risk when he'll be taking up about $44m in cap space each year.

I think there needs to be more talk about what kind of Player KD will be when he returns from an Achilles tear. He's not going to be right next year. Even playoffs. That's fully out. The first season back is usually subpar for a player while he gets used to operating at a normal level again. The 2nd season back is when they say a player feels fine to play again but they have lost a lot of time and rhythm. A large majority of players who receive this injury in basketball don't play beyond 2 years after the injury. 

Now KD is a bonafide hall of famer. Top 20 player of all time based on his current accomplishments alone. But who ever gets him will probably be in for a huge let down. It will be a wasted first year followed by an un-KD like second year and then the third year where you hold your breath to see if he still has anything left. That's a ton of risk when he'll be taking up about $44m in cap space each year.
If his team does not plan to utilize him next year then stick with that plan I think his chances for 2021 are good. Will still need to be managed early in the season, but - load management. 

The problem with Vucevic is his defense. Orlando had to play two good defenders alongside him to make it work. 

On the flip side, he was one of like 3 guys on the team that can score. He is really an underrated shooter, imo. 

Sign him to a 1+1 with Orlando controlling the second year. Offer him like 50/2. Let Ross walk. 

The problem with Vucevic is his defense. Orlando had to play two good defenders alongside him to make it work. 

On the flip side, he was one of like 3 guys on the team that can score. He is really an underrated shooter, imo. 

Sign him to a 1+1 with Orlando controlling the second year. Offer him like 50/2. Let Ross walk. 
I think Vuc gets 4/90. That’s pretty manageable. He should stay useful through the contract so if Bamba becomes anything you can move him. Keeps them competitive next year as well, especially if Isaac develops. 

No idea where they get a PG from though. 

Kawhi to the Lakers talk is heating up, so is talk of KD and Kawhi teaming up for the Clippers. Put me in a coma and wake me up July 5, this is agonizing.
saw this morning (bleachrereport maybe) that Kawhi, Kyrie and Klay all want to join the Lakers, and the Lakers have to figure which one fits best  :lmao: . i guess it is possible with Kyrie, but it is astonishing what people want to report for clicks

They were the #5 seed in the east in the season prior to signing Batum and MKG and it would have been fair to assume that most of the team had a lot of room to still improve as they were all fairly young. They certainly weren't going to contend for a title, but seeing an uptick to wins in the low 50s would not have been remotely out of the question. I'd argue that for a market like Charlotte, especially with a cheap owner, that would be a success. On the whole, the small market teams similar to the Hornets should have different set of expectations... Unless they happen to grow the greatest small forward of all time on their backyard.
6th, but that year 3rd - 6th were all tied.  It is a fair point and something that I remember Zach Lowe writing a lot about.  If, for one, have never been a fan of Zeller/Kaminsky so I didn't buy that strategy at all.  MKG is probably worth the gamble, but I would have rather just drafted the similar Winslow and moved him.  Hard to believe he is only 25.

Just lot's of win-now moves which is how you end up with things like paying Biyombo $17mm a year.

Getting nothing for Kemba if you aren't going to offer near the max is the worst of all the moves though....by far.

We go from Boogie Cousins and the Morris twins to KD and Kwahi.  I love silly season.

Sort of a stupid question though, if they do go to the Knicks and KD is out all year, shouldn’t Kwahi just do a 1+1 with the Raptors and come the next year (Clippers are a different story)?

I agree. I don’t know how they account for that. 

From what I read though, Bamba isn’t expected to contribute much this year. 
mebbe - but a Vuc re-up aces out the 1st 5 years of Bamba's career, more or less. i was curious to see a how guy who can grab the rim standing but switch too works at the core of a team in this era....

Just clutter if you ask me, clickbait. he was the one who said the Sixers were having all sorts of internal strife and Jimmy was taking over the team after fighting with everyone (including Brett Brown). came out with this at the oddest time too if i remember correctly. Dude could have some right, but he is a shill. Give me Woj, Lowe, or Shams 

also was listening, to something today that said the Charlotte news was posturing by Kemba's agent. also see zero reason why Kawhi would go to the Lakers after winning with Toronto. SImply nonsense. 

ETA: i guess with this stuff, there is zero reason for a team to report or player to report any pre signings. there is so much posturing by everyone, and the incentive to share this news with a media source from the New York times seems silly. I can see Woj or someone in national media, but Stein just seems to be posturing for a job at one of the networks
Keith Smith @KeithSmithNBA

Woj just definitively said on ESPN that "Kemba Walker is on his way to the Celtics. He and Boston will get together shortly after 6 PM tomorrow and finalize a deal."

12:06 PM · Jun 29, 2019

Horford just followed Jrue and Zion on instagram... 👀

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

The Pelicans are indeed interested in Al Horford, according to one league source with knowledge of the situation, but have feared heading into free agency that they would be outbid for him

11:57 AM · Jun 29, 2019

Another solid player who won’t be on the FA market:

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

NBA free agent Nikola Mirotic has decided to sign with Euroleague club Barcelona, sources tell  @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Mirotic was in the market for $45-50M total in contract in the NBA.

1:31 PM · Jun 29, 2019

NBA free agent Nikola Mirotic has decided to sign with Euroleague club Barcelona, sources tell  @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Mirotic was in the market for $45-50M total in contract in the NBA.

I wonder how much they are paying him. Probably he and his wife just miss Spain.

The Minnesota Timberwolves will meet with Brooklyn Nets restricted free agent D’Angelo Russell when free agency opens on Sunday, league sources told Yahoo Sports. 

The Timberwolves contingent expected to be present at the meeting: president of basketball operations Gersson Rosas, head coach Ryan Saunders and franchise player Karl-Anthony Towns, sources said.

The meeting will take place in Los Angeles, sources said.
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-d-angelo-russell-to-meet-with-timberwolves-when-free-agency-opens-174650646.html

💣💣💣

Frank Isola @TheFrankIsola

Detroit Pistons are emerging as the favorite to sign Derrick Rose, according to a league source.

2:15 PM · Jun 29, 2019

Crazy. I was hoping Utah would sign him and cut Favors loose. 

Keith Smith @KeithSmithNBA

Woj just definitively said on ESPN that "Kemba Walker is on his way to the Celtics. He and Boston will get together shortly after 6 PM tomorrow and finalize a deal."

12:06 PM · Jun 29, 2019
yeah, i was just listening to Woj podcast and he basically just said it was a given. What is Kemba, 30? will be interesting if it happens. Ainge guess loves his Scary Terry to a point. That guy would trade his own kids it seems. Guess that is good and bad. If they can still get a free agent like Kemba guess it is good

Horford just followed Jrue and Zion on instagram... 👀

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

The Pelicans are indeed interested in Al Horford, according to one league source with knowledge of the situation, but have feared heading into free agency that they would be outbid for him

11:57 AM · Jun 29, 2019
Embiid started following Horford on whatever social media days ago......

We go from Boogie Cousins and the Morris twins to KD and Kwahi.  I love silly season.

Sort of a stupid question though, if they do go to the Knicks and KD is out all year, shouldn’t Kwahi just do a 1+1 with the Raptors and come the next year (Clippers are a different story)?
lot of the current Raps also have contracts that run out next year. i would bet Kawhi does a 1+1 with Toronto this year if i could find the odds somewhere

This is just depressing:

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Charlotte has been scouring the free agent point guard market, considering such options as Elfrid Peyton, TJ McConnell, Ish Smith and Emmanuel Mudiay, league sources tell ESPN.

3:43 PM · Jun 29, 2019

lot of the current Raps also have contracts that run out next year. i would bet Kawhi does a 1+1 with Toronto this year if i could find the odds somewhere
If Durant and Kawhi go somewhere together they will want to be on the same contract year.  Durant would basically be going alone for a year and what if Kawhi gets hurt or changes his mind then Durant is stuck there.

Users who are viewing this thread