What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (13 Viewers)

This is just depressing:

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Charlotte has been scouring the free agent point guard market, considering such options as Elfrid Peyton, TJ McConnell, Ish Smith and Emmanuel Mudiay, league sources tell ESPN.

3:43 PM · Jun 29, 2019
I love how the NBA felt like they had to step in with the Sixers, but this is ok. Yes, replace Kemba with Ish Smith. that is fun. 

i like Kemba signing with Boston though. i was all about betting Boston under wins for the season, but i think they may be a good regular season team. they will be one of those team that tries every game. they will get blown out in the playoffs every time, but they will be fun for celtics fans for most of the year

If Durant and Kawhi go somewhere together they will want to be on the same contract year.  Durant would basically be going alone for a year and what if Kawhi gets hurt or changes his mind then Durant is stuck there.
just seems way out of nowhere. and if any truth to it, poor Kyrie (who was the player slated to KD for the past 5-6 months).

I think Vuc gets 4/90. That’s pretty manageable. He should stay useful through the contract so if Bamba becomes anything you can move him. Keeps them competitive next year as well, especially if Isaac develops. 

No idea where they get a PG from though. 
Reading this makes me puke

the funny part with all of this is how this stuff is communicated. Good old Ainge just loves talking to the sports media when he can. it is funny how the tampering rules are just thrown right out the window at this time. Poor Magic says in an interview that Simmons would like to workout with him in the off-season and he has a while investigation. Now teams just blatently talk to free agents or potential free agents and it is all good

the funny part with all of this is how this stuff is communicated. Good old Ainge just loves talking to the sports media when he can. it is funny how the tampering rules are just thrown right out the window at this time. Poor Magic says in an interview that Simmons would like to workout with him in the off-season and he has a while investigation. Now teams just blatently talk to free agents or potential free agents and it is all good
Well to be clear, Magic was going to tamper with Ben.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some teams object and call for a tampering investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's happening!
do you really think it helps? well, i am sure it helps, but what is better:

Kyrie + Horford or Kemba?

will be interesting. there are a few moves that will really bum me out in free agency. If Nerleans Noel goes to Boston, it is probably top on that list

Sources: Jimmy Butler expected to meet the Miami Heat in South Fla. Sunday. Butler/Rockets meeting likely early week in LA. Sixers haven’t ruled out working with Butler on sign-and-trades, which Miami and Houston need to acquire the All-Star guard.

5:00 PM · Jun 29, 2019

Free agent Kyrie Irving is meeting with the Brooklyn Nets in New York on Sunday and both sides are motivated to move quickly toward reaching a 4-year, $141M deal, league sources tell ESPN.

5:00 PM · Jun 29, 2018

Once Kyrie Irving commits to a deal, Nets are expected to renounce All-Star guard D'Angelo Russell and allow him to become an unrestricted free agent, league sources tell ESPN. Russell led Nets to the playoffs this past season. There's tremendous league-wide interest in Russell.

5:03 PM · Jun 29, 2019

Sources: Jimmy Butler expected to meet the Miami Heat in South Fla. Sunday. Butler/Rockets meeting likely early week in LA. Sixers haven’t ruled out working with Butler on sign-and-trades, which Miami and Houston need to acquire the All-Star guard.

5:00 PM · Jun 29, 2019
this one is funny. Was Jimmy a free agent before? i know he was traded a few times, and i think Chicago re-signed him. My guess is he wants to live it up and get wine'd and dine'd. Weirdest thing about these reports is no news of Butler visiting the Lakers or Nets or anybody who actually has cap space

yeah, i was just listening to Woj podcast and he basically just said it was a given. What is Kemba, 30? will be interesting if it happens. Ainge guess loves his Scary Terry to a point. That guy would trade his own kids it seems. Guess that is good and bad. If they can still get a free agent like Kemba guess it is good
Just turned 29 last month. I love this add but would love it even more if the Celtics are this mystery team to get Capela.

Free agent Kyrie Irving is meeting with the Brooklyn Nets in New York on Sunday and both sides are motivated to move quickly toward reaching a 4-year, $141M deal, league sources tell ESPN.

5:00 PM · Jun 29, 2018

Once Kyrie Irving commits to a deal, Nets are expected to renounce All-Star guard D'Angelo Russell and allow him to become an unrestricted free agent, league sources tell ESPN. Russell led Nets to the playoffs this past season. There's tremendous league-wide interest in Russell.

5:03 PM · Jun 29, 2019
would you be happy with just Kyrie? how much of a bump does that give the Nets with just an exhange of Russell and Kyrie? my guess is they do better, not quite at the top 3 of Mil, Phi, and Tor,. not sure about Indiana

this one is funny. Was Jimmy a free agent before? i know he was traded a few times, and i think Chicago re-signed him. My guess is he wants to live it up and get wine'd and dine'd. Weirdest thing about these reports is no news of Butler visiting the Lakers or Nets or anybody who actually has cap space
He was a restricted free agent and agreed to re-sign on July 1.

Just turned 29 last month. I love this add but would love it even more if the Celtics are this mystery team to get Capela.
Celtics do like their PGs with injury histories/knee issues. 

and i don't know if Houston pulls the trigger on a Capella trade without any other move, not sure what that does for them

would you be happy with just Kyrie? how much of a bump does that give the Nets with just an exhange of Russell and Kyrie? my guess is they do better, not quite at the top 3 of Mil, Phi, and Tor,. not sure about Indiana
Hard to say how much they improve because health is such a wild card with Kyrie. They’ll definitely be a better team when he’s healthy and on top of his game, but maybe not *that* much better. Probably 4th or 5th seed in the East if everything goes smoothly.

I think Nets fans would riot if we gave up DLo for Kyrie straight up. The justification for Kyrie’s health/personality baggage is that he can attract a bigger name - hopefully KD. If they strike out on him, I think Tobias Harris is their backup plan - a good fit but a huge step down from one of the best 3 players on the planet.

Nets will be willing to work with Russell and his reps on ways to get him to a team of his choice, including sign-and-trade scenarios, league sources tell ESPN. If Russell and Nets found a sign-and-trade deal that works for both, obviously, there's no need to renounce his rights.

5:14 PM · Jun 29, 2019

Another solid player who won’t be on the FA market:

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

NBA free agent Nikola Mirotic has decided to sign with Euroleague club Barcelona, sources tell  @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Mirotic was in the market for $45-50M total in contract in the NBA.

1:31 PM · Jun 29, 2019
I'm pretty much a basketball dummy. Can someone explain the Bird rights? Bucks Twitter is all about the $18.5 million if they want to keep him?

I'm pretty much a basketball dummy. Can someone explain the Bird rights? Bucks Twitter is all about the $18.5 million if they want to keep him?
 In essence, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. 

I didn't see it posted in the last couple of pages but I heard on the radio an hour or so ago that Klay Thompson is going to sign his super-max deal (or whatever it's called) and stay with the Warriors. Not really a surprise.

Bird rights enable a team to go over the cap to re-sign a player that has been with the team for 3+ seasons. [REDACTED, I GOT THIS WRONG] Larry and Juxt are right, Milwaukee does have Mirotic’s bird rights.

Miami has $140 million in contracts and not many attractive pieces. I have no idea how they can turn things into getting Butler.
It's all posturing by Jimmy to get Philly to give up that 5th year. Which if you're Philly, don't #### around. Give him the 5th year. That's the only thing you can offer him that's better than the competition. 

All this talk of sign and trades and Sixers willing to accommodate him is just playing chicken. We'll see who blinks. I personally think Philly shouldn't play games. Just give him the max and say here it is. What do you want to do?

Bird rights enable a team to go over the cap to re-sign a player that has been with the team for 3+ seasons. Since Mirotic wasn’t with the Bucks for that long, they would have had to stay under the cap when re-signing him. Same goes for Brook Lopez.
After his 3 point shooting display and shot blocking last season, I expect Lopez to be a bit expensive.

ETA: if you are the Bucks, who do you pick if you have to choose between Brogden and Lopez? I hope it doesn't come down to that for them but it very well may.

In essence, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. 
I don’t know the exact reasons , but the bucks did inherit mirotic’s bird rights.  They can transfer during a trade, though I am not sure of all of the conditions.

I didn't see it posted in the last couple of pages but I heard on the radio an hour or so ago that Klay Thompson is going to sign his super-max deal (or whatever it's called) and stay with the Warriors. Not really a surprise.
Just Max because of the NBA dumb rule that a player that's not on the All NBA roster can't have a super max.

“As far as trades and the transferal of Bird Rights go, if a player has been with a team for three complete years and he gets traded, his new team will acquire his Bird Rights”

the pelicans had inherited them from the bulls and then they went with him to the bucks. 

I don’t know the exact reasons , but the bucks did inherit mirotic’s bird rights.  They can transfer during a trade, though I am not sure of all of the conditions.
Right. They have full Bird rights.  They don’t have Bird rights on Lopez because (IIRC) they signed him to a one year deal.

Regarding the initial comment about Mirotic, Bucks might get to keep those rights since he signed with a non-NBA team and the Bucks wouldn’t need to renounce him since they should be over the cap for the foreseeable future.  Perhaps Mirotic will decide to return to the NBA and the Bucks could sign him with Bird rights.

Not verified by Woj/Shams, but I’m seeing reports on twitter that Middleton is getting the full 5/190 max from Milwaukee. Bucks are barrelling towards that luxury tax at full speed.

After his 3 point shooting display and shot blocking last season, I expect Lopez to be a bit expensive.

ETA: if you are the Bucks, who do you pick if you have to choose between Brogden and Lopez? I hope it doesn't come down to that for them but it very well may.
Expensive? Fine. Multi-year? Never on a Lopez.

Not matching $20mil for Brogdon either. Satoransky's as good for a third of that. Don't follow Bucks' team chemistry and would certainly consult the Freak about keeping him happy, but would try to convince him that people wanna play w him, so why not get more talent for less. Not paying the penalty jus cuz we got close.

So does that $18.5 million or whatever count against the cap? Sorry, like I said I'm pretty dumb (do we still have sigs?)

Word around MKE is that they have a number and if someone goes over it, they'll let Brogden walk. They feel like he's a perfect fit for their system but if someone wants to pay more for him to be a 2nd option instead of a 3rd or 4th option then so be it. And of course the homers are thinking they could grab Frank the Tank on the cheap and not lose any production from Lopez but whatevs

Just reporting what I'm seeing on Bucks twitter FTR. Nothing official

So does that $18.5 million or whatever count against the cap? Sorry, like I said I'm pretty dumb (do we still have sigs?)
Yes, but they can go over the cap.  Let's say a team has a $100 million payroll and the cap is $115.  They can sign Lawrence Moten for $12 million as a free agent, and then sign MIddleton for that $18.5 for a total payroll of $130.5 and that's fine.  They can't do it the opposite way, signing Middleton and then Moten because that takes them over the cap by signing a free agent instead of their own guy with Bird rights.  So expect them to announce the MIddleton signing but not actually have him sign until they've used all their cap space (if they have any).

:nerd:

Yes, but they can go over the cap.  Let's say a team has a $100 million payroll and the cap is $115.  They can sign Lawrence Moten for $12 million as a free agent, and then sign MIddleton for that $18.5 for a total payroll of $130.5 and that's fine.  They can't do it the opposite way, signing Middleton and then Moten because that takes them over the cap by signing a free agent instead of their own guy with Bird rights.  So expect them to announce the MIddleton signing but not actually have him sign until they've used all their cap space (if they have any).

:nerd:
Thanks much, that kinda makes sense. Ya know, you're kinda nice when you're not being a wiener. Don't worry I won't tell anyone

PS Is Lawrence Moten a real name?

The deadline to exercise options has now passed. The possibility of a Jimmy Butler opt-in-and-trade to the Rockets is now officially gone.

Users who are viewing this thread