What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (13 Viewers)

next years UFA class really is super craptastic.  Every terrible player who has been overpaid will either be opting in to some crazy amount or hitting the market.

after draymond, there are a few decent guys: Eric Gordon,  Jeff Teague, maybe Gallo, Dragic, Iguodala and Ibaka can squeeze just a little bit more out and maybe Harkless, VanVleet, Harrell, or Roberson can show just enough to get some teams kind of interested, but that is really it.  

A lot of intriguing RFAs though (though some presumably will be extended in the next few months).  Really seems like these teams who try to save their cap space for next year will be in a bad spot.
If you arent a legit contender this year then the smart thing would be to set your sights on 3 years from now. I suspect more than a few teams wont do that after they strike out on the big ticket items this week.

not quite at the top 3 of Mil, Phi, and Tor,. not sure about Indiana
Not even sure if any of these are necessarily top three when free agency ends. MIL could be without Middleton and Brogdon, and Lopez. PHI could be without Butler, Redick, and Harris. TOR could be without Kawhi. 

trader jake said:
Huh?  There will be a dozen big signings and the Kawhi & KD rumors will be on fire.  More buckle-up than uneventful.  It's more likely Shams or Woj will have something to unleash right after FA officially kicks-off than an uneventful night.
I think it won't be as earth-shaking as we had hoped for.

Kemba--Celtics

Irving-Nets

Thompson stays with GS

KD the local rehab facility for team yet to be announced. 

Leonard stays with Toronto for the short term---IMO there is no way he goes to LA-either LA, but specifically the Clips and then wastes a year of his career so KD (if traded to the Clips as well) can get healthy--which may never happen sadly enough. 

Russell probably ends up with the Lakers and they end up over-paying for a guy they got rid of before. it is like trading your car to a dealership and then going back two weeks later and buying it back--paying all the dealer fees including the undercoating and window etching up charges. 

To me the most compelling player today is Butler and where he goes or stays.

I could be proven wrong though......

the more i sweat the rumors,, the more i'm feeling a KD/Claw thing. i discounted it right away because they cant come out bold w Durant's injury, but i think they'd truly love to out-superstar LeBrow in their own building. I dunno - KD signs/rehabs w Clips, Claw gives the Raps another year, they let LBJ/AD have dey fun, then come crashing down on em next season?

Capella said:
The Magic lived 7 years with high draft picks. You have to win some games occasionally to keep a fan base. You can’t just go 20-62 every year. 
I agree with all of that, but I also don't think that winning 40 games a season keeps a fan base either. Fans need hope - for me as a Nuggets fan, that is much more tempered than the hope from a Lakers fan. My hope is that the Nuggets can build a competitive playoff team - a championship contender would be nice, but I don't need that to stay engaged. A team that is relying on Vuc as it's best and highest paid player maxes out on the hope of making the playoffs, not even being competitive in the playoffs. 

the moops said:
Not even sure if any of these are necessarily top three when free agency ends. MIL could be without Middleton and Brogdon, and Lopez. PHI could be without Butler, Redick, and Harris. TOR could be without Kawhi. 
yeah, wow. if that is the case with all 3 the East might as well join the G league. will be interesting...

I agree with all of that, but I also don't think that winning 40 games a season keeps a fan base either. Fans need hope - for me as a Nuggets fan, that is much more tempered than the hope from a Lakers fan. My hope is that the Nuggets can build a competitive playoff team - a championship contender would be nice, but I don't need that to stay engaged. A team that is relying on Vuc as it's best and highest paid player maxes out on the hope of making the playoffs, not even being competitive in the playoffs. 
Beats the alternative. They took like 5 shots at the lottery and never got close to a franchise changing stud. Wouldn’t make sense to go back to 25 wins right after you made the playoffs. They can try that again in 2 years if this core doesn’t do anything and there’s still hope for that with Bamba, Isaac and uhhhhh...Fultz still developing. At least the first two. 

the more i sweat the rumors,, the more i'm feeling a KD/Claw thing. i discounted it right away because they cant come out bold w Durant's injury, but i think they'd truly love to out-superstar LeBrow in their own building. I dunno - KD signs/rehabs w Clips, Claw gives the Raps another year, they let LBJ/AD have dey fun, then come crashing down on em next season?
Kawhi 1+1 with the Raptors and then leaving after the coming season makes a ton of sense to me. Try to defend the title in a situation he's comfortable in, then after the year if he wants to superteam it with a healthy KD or whoever, go nuts.

The Raptors vet core is almost all on expiring contracts this coming year (Lowry, Gasol, Ibaka is $82 million coming off after 19-20) in theory after the coming year they could present a case of Pascal + Kawhi + cap room to add anyone they want on a max contract (Powell and Anunoby are the only other cap commitments beyond 19-20) - and this is also the argument for him signing a multi year deal but realistically superstars still won't be lining up to play in Canada.

Either way Masai has the team in a situation where they're in an okay position going forward. Obviously, If Kawhi doesn't re-sign this year, they aren't a top team and likely try to move out some of Lowry/Gasol/Ibaka, and also let Danny Green walk - but they're still well equipped to pivot towards 20-21.

So it is the Kings!

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

A confirmed Al Horford suitor at last: the Kings "definitely" have significant interest in Horford, according to sources briefed on Sacramento's thinking -- and have the cap space to pay Al the reported four-year deal worth in excess of $100 million circulating for the past week

11:49 AM · Jun 30, 2019

According to The Sacramento Bee (@sacbee_news), Horford is receiving a "massive offer" from the Kings after the opening bell on free agency sounds at 6 PM

11:53 AM · Jun 30, 2019

ETA: or not!

Sam Amick @sam_amick

Despite the Kings' significant interest in Al Horford and plans to make a massive offer, a source tells @TheAthletic that they are under the impression he's likely heading elsewhere.

12:03 PM · Jun 30, 2019

Last edited by a moderator:
Kawhi 1+1 with the Raptors and then leaving after the coming season makes a ton of sense to me. Try to defend the title in a situation he's comfortable in, then after the year if he wants to superteam it with a healthy KD or whoever, go nuts.

The Raptors vet core is almost all on expiring contracts this coming year (Lowry, Gasol, Ibaka is $82 million coming off after 19-20) in theory after the coming year they could present a case of Pascal + Kawhi + cap room to add anyone they want on a max contract (Powell and Anunoby are the only other cap commitments beyond 19-20) - and this is also the argument for him signing a multi year deal but realistically superstars still won't be lining up to play in Canada.

Either way Masai has the team in a situation where they're in an okay position going forward. Obviously, If Kawhi doesn't re-sign this year, they aren't a top team and likely try to move out some of Lowry/Gasol/Ibaka, and also let Danny Green walk - but they're still well equipped to pivot towards 20-21.
Agree with your analysis and think Kawhi returning to the Raptors is one of the best move for the overall competitiveness of the NBA.  Toronto, GS, Lakers, Boston, Nets, and whatever Houston looks like could have a decent shot.  Still a lot of unknowns.

So it is the Kings!

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

According to The Sacramento Bee (@sacbee_news), Horford is receiving a "massive offer" from the Kings after the opening bell on free agency sounds at 6 PM

well, this was the 3rd straight year that Sac was unable to spend its cap on Nate Duncan's Mock Offseason, so they might as well toss all that dough (i hear it's 4/112) to a guy can show the young'uns how the game is played. will miss you for a long time, Al - cant think of a Celts squad you wouldnt have looked great on.

So it is the Kings!

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

A confirmed Al Horford suitor at last: the Kings "definitely" have significant interest in Horford, according to sources briefed on Sacramento's thinking -- and have the cap space to pay Al the reported four-year deal worth in excess of $100 million circulating for the past week

11:49 AM · Jun 30, 2019

ETA: or not!

Sam Amick @sam_amick

Despite the Kings' significant interest in Al Horford and plans to make a massive offer, a source tells @TheAthletic that they are under the impression he's likely heading elsewhere.

12:03 PM · Jun 30, 2019
Probably the Kings and Dallas.

Woj:

Once free agency opens at 6 PM ET, center Jonas Valanciunas is expected to commit to a three-year, $45M contract to return to the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources tell ESPN.

I think we already knew this was likely to happen although not the contract details.

caustic said:
There's a report in Spanish media that Mirotic was offered nearly $80MM over six years to come overseas: https://as.com/baloncesto/2019/06/29/nba/1561827373_717645.html
there are now reports that the amount is nowhere near that.

If that were the actual contract, then I would get it.  I think that he might make a little more over the course of his NBA career, but not that much more, so to lock this in plus get to live where he wants to live would make sense.

I really didn't think that there were any contracts in other leagues anywhere close to that.

Woj:

Once free agency opens at 6 PM ET, center Jonas Valanciunas is expected to commit to a three-year, $45M contract to return to the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources tell ESPN.

I think we already knew this was likely to happen although not the contract details.
If I were a Grizzlies fan, I would be fairly excited about their future right now.

Woj:

Going back to Vuc conversation, is he worth $55 million more than Valanciunas? 

Beats the alternative. They took like 5 shots at the lottery and never got close to a franchise changing stud. Wouldn’t make sense to go back to 25 wins right after you made the playoffs. They can try that again in 2 years if this core doesn’t do anything and there’s still hope for that with Bamba, Isaac and uhhhhh...Fultz still developing. At least the first two. 
As long as Vuc plays at the level he did last year, that contract will be moveable even if it’s not a value deal. It’s fine. 

Tim Reynolds:

Not that this is a surprise - or means anything - but Jimmy Butler is expected to tell Miami officials tonight that he wishes to play for the Heat, per source.

Going back to Vuc conversation, is he worth $55 million more than Valanciunas? 
If Vuc’s three point shooting isn’t worth $10 million more a year, it’s at least close. And if the Magic are paying a premium, it’s probably a necessary evil given their roster construction.  

Frosty!

Marc Stein @thesteinline

Minnesota is at the top of D'Angelo Russell's free-agent wish list as the opening bell nears, league sources say -- with the Timberwolves increasingly confident they can make the necessary salary-cap moves to land him

1:35 PM · Jun 30, 2019

Vuc depends on one's orientation. If the point of it all is to field (court?) the best team one can, game in/game out, Vuc in the low $20s to return to a system w which he's comfortable makes excellent sense. If the point of it all is to chase championships, Vuc in the low $20s w a singular basketball talent stuck behind him makes no sense at all.

there are now reports that the amount is nowhere near that.

If that were the actual contract, then I would get it.  I think that he might make a little more over the course of his NBA career, but not that much more, so to lock this in plus get to live where he wants to live would make sense.

I really didn't think that there were any contracts in other leagues anywhere close to that.
Well, America is a dump.

Woj:

Sources: Boston's showing interest in a 3-team sign-and-trade w/ Kyrie Irving (Nets), Kemba Walker (Celtics) and Terry Rozier (Hornets). Boston wants to create a full MLE and would likely need to surrender at least a first-round pick to Nets. So far, talks are exploratory.

Stein:

Jimmy Butler meets with Heat officials at 6:01 PM ET tonight but continues to draw interest from a number of suitors, league sources say, with the Lakers making the latest aggressive bid. Lakers officials, I'm told, are pushing for a pitch meeting with Butler

Being competitive down? Weird for a guy like that, although playing with Chris Paul’s carcass while it screams at you likely isn’t better.
I also think Jimmy likes the idea of being THE GUY on a team. He has that Alpha personality. He obviously would be that on the Heat.  (Of course he wouldn’t be on the Rockets but perhaps he has more respect for Harden than he did for Rose, KAT/Wiggins, and Embiid/Simmons.)

If Jimmy is doing all this just to force the Sixers into a five-year max, he’s doing a masterful job.
This should be automatic unless they have a real backup plan. 

If they get Richardson and 1-2 of olynyk, winslow or whiteside, who else can they chase in the market?  Brogdon?

Users who are viewing this thread