What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Man Beaten to Death After Stealing Car With Kids Inside, Police Say (1 Viewer)

The car was RUNNING.  The kids were in it.  Car theft is pretty common.  Kidnappers cruising town looking for cars with kids inside, not so much.  If you care that much for your kids, take better care of them.  Every time this happens in Houston, the Chief of Police tells people this.  But there's just no accounting for stupid.

I loathe thieves.  Still not a death penalty offense.
Is kidnapping a death penalty offense?

Wow.  I'll just say that I am disappointed that the notion of mob justice is still alive and well in America.
I guess technically, but do the high crime areas of Philly really represent America?

The suburbs in Wisconsin, Arkansas, and Oregon likely have far more in common with the ‘burbs in Canada and England than they do the part of Philly this incident occurred.

I don't think it's always so clear, as the line between ###-whupping and death is razor thin. Moreover, why are we certain the death of the perpetrator was the result of the dad's blows?
I'm not sure who you know giving this ### whoopings, but I wouldn't say the difference is razor thin. 

The dude stole a car.  I doubt he had the least idea that there were kids inside.  Car theft is not a death penalty offense.  
Agreed but you said the only reason this happened because they victim left their car running with the kids in it.  Yeah that’s dumb but it’s not the only reason. The car thief is ultimately the one to blame and he paid the price.  

Agreed but you said the only reason this happened because they victim left their car running with the kids in it.  Yeah that’s dumb but it’s not the only reason. The car thief is ultimately the one to blame and he paid the price.  
Does this open the door for other dads to kill anyone that, either intentionally or unintentionally, attempts to do harm to a child?

Here's another example. 

Murder victim's sons jump their mother's killer at hearing

This one didn't end with the perp being killed. Are we devolving in how society is going to handle things moving forward? Asking for a friend.

They should be prosecuted but certainly not to the fullest extent. I get what they did  but also we can’t allow vigilante justice.

Does this open the door for other dads to kill anyone that, either intentionally or unintentionally, attempts to do harm to a child?

Here's another example. 

Murder victim's sons jump their mother's killer at hearing

This one didn't end with the perp being killed. Are we devolving in how society is going to handle things moving forward? Asking for a friend.
Not saying it is right, but I might trade a contempt of court charge and 30 days for a few shots at my mother's killer.

Not saying it is right, but I might trade a contempt of court charge and 30 days for a few shots at my mother's killer.
Yeah, the article stated that the police arrived as the guy was still shooting the woman. This is a little different than the "what if" with the kids in a stolen car.

The dude stole a car.  I doubt he had the least idea that there were kids inside.  Car theft is not a death penalty offense.  
Never been in a car with kids I take it?   :lmao:
I could easily see him not knowing when he jumped in and then not knowing what to do once he realized. Wasn't there a video within the last month of a guy stealing a car and a little while later realizing there was a kid he actually came back  and took the baby out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess technically, but do the high crime areas of Philly really represent America?

The suburbs in Wisconsin, Arkansas, and Oregon likely have far more in common with the ‘burbs in Canada and England than they do the part of Philly this incident occurred.
yup. this is getting it a bit. A lot in here need to understand daily life in North Philadelphia. a fight is no big deal. if someone yells his kids are in a car i guarantee 10 dudes would come out of nowhere and jump in to help. you don't steal a car in North Philly from a North Philly resident unless you really are looking to get killed. car thief had to be f'd up on something

I could easily see him not knowing when he jumped in and then not knowing what to do once he realized. Wasn't there a video within the last month of a guy stealing a car and a little while later realizing there was a kid he actually came back  and took the baby out?
Agreed, when he jumped in he may not have known.  But once you realize you’re kidnapping, I’d like to think you gtfo of that car.  

Agree with lots that has already been said.  I have a feeling I’d have an out of body hulk-like experience if I caught up to the car containing my kidnapped children.  All bets are off at that stage, as my rational self might very well be buried. 

I only saw snippets of the video, with the carjacker looking very alive and non threatening.  If they beat him to death from that stage on, charges may very well be warranted.

yup. this is getting it a bit. A lot in here need to understand daily life in North Philadelphia. a fight is no big deal. if someone yells his kids are in a car i guarantee 10 dudes would come out of nowhere and jump in to help. you don't steal a car in North Philly from a North Philly resident unless you really are looking to get killed. car thief had to be f'd up on something
Just because it's normal, doesn't mean it's right. 

Just because it's normal, doesn't mean it's right. 
no, but the police have a lot to worry about in this section. i am positive most are happy about this situation. there is plenty of activity in this area, and relations with police aren't the best. they can try and do something if this story catches more attention, but the police would be best served here not to chase down a dad for getting his kids when drug deals occur in the open and violence is regular. could raise tension in the area and not benefit anybody

According to officials, Hood had at least 24 prior arrests and convictions.

he sounds like a nice young man. And I bet he’s an excellent father to those children. 

ETA: OK FINE I SKIMMED, SUE ME

no, but the police have a lot to worry about in this section. i am positive most are happy about this situation. there is plenty of activity in this area, and relations with police aren't the best. they can try and do something if this story catches more attention, but the police would be best served here not to chase down a dad for getting his kids when drug deals occur in the open and violence is regular. could raise tension in the area and not benefit anybody
I'm not going to pretend to know what the situation is there. It sounds like you're more in tune than I am.

Ultimately it comes down to equal justice. There are people that scream from the rooftops when a police officers steps out of line, or shoots an unarmed person. I've contended that those can be high adrenaline situations. We have the same thing happen here and it's considered to be okay by some? We also don't like it when the previous criminal history is pointed out when an unarmed person is gunned down. But, now we want to point out that Hood had previous convictions. As if that justifies it's now.

I just watched the video. The perp was 54 years old and on the ground. He was no longer fleeing. The interview with LE said that the mob was beating him at the time police arrived. The actions of the father could be considered a high adrenaline situation. But, you can't excuse the actions of the mob for the same. 

According to officials, Hood had at least 24 prior arrests and convictions.

he sounds like a nice young man. And I bet he’s an excellent father to those children. 
If the Dad ends up going to jail for homicide, he won't be doing any parenting for his children either. 

It's no win situation. 

I'm not going to pretend to know what the situation is there. It sounds like you're more in tune than I am.

Ultimately it comes down to equal justice. There are people that scream from the rooftops when a police officers steps out of line, or shoots an unarmed person. I've contended that those can be high adrenaline situations. We have the same thing happen here and it's considered to be okay by some? We also don't like it when the previous criminal history is pointed out when an unarmed person is gunned down. But, now we want to point out that Hood had previous convictions. As if that justifies it's now.

I just watched the video. The perp was 54 years old and on the ground. He was no longer fleeing. The interview with LE said that the mob was beating him at the time police arrived. The actions of the father could be considered a high adrenaline situation. But, you can't excuse the actions of the mob for the same. 
 Not sure I want to watch the video, but assuming the dude was subdued and the beating continued, I can see charges being brought. 

Where I grew up if you commit a crime and steal a persons possession's with children involved it is much safer to be caught by the police than the person you stole from.

bigbottom said:
 Not sure I want to watch the video, but assuming the dude was subdued and the beating continued, I can see charges being brought. 
Hard to see much in the video, but you certainly do not get the sense this guy was fighting back from the brief footage shown.  I can easily see charges being brought against those involved.  I am not sure if pizza guy dad was still involved at the this point or if its just the "mob" in the video.

ETA...I should say the video being shown by NBC in the OP's link doesn't show much.  Apparently there is other video that I have not seen that the Police Chief describes as "very clear".  Not sure what that shows.

flapgreen said:
I'm not sure who you know giving this ### whoopings, but I wouldn't say the difference is razor thin. 
I’m not in the ### whuppin’ bizness myself, but a well placed blow to the head may cause an epidural bleed, which can be life threatening.

Somehow, the Ramones were winking and nudging each other about 53rd & 3rd in NY compared to 29th and Dauphin in Philly.

Come to think of it, how much must living under the reign of a dauphin suck, especially if he was autocratic and you were smart and rebellious. Jeebus I can't think of much worse.  Well, the 20th century did, but that's for another day...

Users who are viewing this thread