What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Travis Etienne, JAX (3 Viewers)

travdogg said:
Etienne isn't anywhere near the prospect CMC was. Etienne has a lot more warts, and landed in a worse situation.

I don't hate Etienne, I just think the Jags erred in spending a 1st at a less valuable position, that they didn't need. I think Robinson will probably be seeing at least 45% of the work. This might be a dreaded RBBC for years to come.

I'd probably rank Etienne as the 1.6 rookie pick right now. I'd rather have him than Robinson, but I'm a lot less excited about him(both of them really) than I was before the draft.

Gally said:
I was higher on CMC than most so I wasn't one of those guys that had CMC as too early or a complimentary back.  I just don't see ETN in that same caliber of player.  I think he can be productive and I think Robinson is really good at what he does (between tackles, initial burst to gain positive yardage, and power enough to break first tackles) which is a nice compliment to ETN as I don't think he is as good at those things but is better in space and long speed.  I just don't think a 1st rounder was necessary for this team.  

Now all that being said, the totally new coaching staff gives pause about Robinson although from watching him all last year (I had him most of the year until I traded him for Taylor right before Taylor took off) I think Robinson is a lot better of an NFL RB than he is given credit for.  Not flashy but good at what he does.  
What level of prospect is ETN ? What are 2 or 3 rookies from the last decade or so you would put him on par with? Because when I look at his college career, I have a hard time understanding why he's not universally considered a higher level prospect. 

Yes, the Jax staff said that, and we actually did cover that in the Robinson thread or another thread. A bunch of us actually had a long discussion about what the coaches said and how it would impact their drafting. menobrown and I said the only back we could see them going that would really put a dent in Robinson in the early rounds (because Harris and Williams aren't speed guys) was Etienne at 25 or 33, and sure enough, it came to fruition.
The post draft presser with ETN and Urban was interesting. Coach must have said speed a 30 times, it was all he seemed to care about. Said Jax lacked big plays last year and that the odds say 13 -15 play drives don't work, teams need big plays. It seems pretty clear what Urban is looking for. 

The post draft presser with ETN and Urban was interesting. Coach must have said speed a 30 times, it was all he seemed to care about. Said Jax lacked big plays last year and that the odds say 13 -15 play drives don't work, teams need big plays. It seems pretty clear what Urban is looking for. 
I didn't know that, actually. That sounds about right for Urban. It just seemed like the tea leaves were there and that Robinson had left a lot to be desired in that category. Whether Meyer is right about what speed brings to the table in the NFL is the question. Al Davis for a long time killed with speed, but he did so in the seventies and eighties. Almost everybody in the NFL has speed, the question is one of functional speed for the NFL, and we'll see if Etienne has it. That's where the disconnect lies with his college stats as a prospect and the reality of the NFL, where everybody is moving at a high clip. Plenty of guys have destroyed college with next level speed -- will Etienne's translate? The stat guys say yes, the film grinders don't seem to think quite as much.

I don't really have any clue who to listen to.

A side note about the Jags, away from Etienne. Thank God for those of us that roster Chark that he is a sub-4.4 guy (I think a 4.34?) or who knows where he'd be. I'd watch for receiving corps developments this year. Meyer already made noise about replacing Laviska, a 4.58 guy, with Toney. Many people have noted this and said to watch for Etienne actually eating into Laviska's designed plays. Should be something to watch, anyway.

DO NOT trade Julio Jones; top positional battles; saving Sam Darnold

Excerpt:

4) Jaguars running back: Travis Etienne vs. James Robinson. The Jaguars' returning 1,000-yard rusher was a nice find as an undrafted rookie free agent last season, but he's going to have a tough time keeping the 25th overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft from snatching his job. Etienne is a touchdown waiting to happen with the ball in his hands, and his big-play ability will add a new dimension to the Jaguars' offense as coach Urban Meyer breaks in rookie Trevor Lawrence at quarterback. Given his explosiveness as a one-cut runner with the capacity to take it to the house on runs between the tackles or on the edges, the Clemson product has more juice than Robinson on the ground. Moreover, Etienne is a more dynamic playmaker in the passing game, with the route-running skills to excel as a pass catcher in the backfield or out wide.

Robinson will carve out a role as a rotational player, but the Jaguars' RB1 job is Etienne's to lose when the team convenes.

Jacksonville Jaguars NFL draft picks 2021: Analysis for every selection

Excerpt:

Round 1, No. 25 overall: Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

My take: Urban Meyer said he wanted to add speed at receiver and running back and Etienne qualifies (he ran a 4.45 at his pro day). Expect the Jaguars to use him as a third-down back and line him up in the backfield, in the slot, and flexed out wide. It's similar to the way Meyer used Percy Harvin at Florida, and he brought up Harvin's name in his comments after the pick. Etienne is a home-run threat and that's not something the Jaguars have had at running back since the first few years of Maurice Jones-Drew's career.

Wear and tear: If there's a concern about Etienne it's the amount of wear and tear on his body. Etienne had 821 touches (686 carries, 102 receptions, 32 kickoff returns, 1 punt return) in his four-year career at Clemson. He was extremely productive, though: He's the ACC's all-time leading rusher (4,952 yards) and he scored 78 total touchdowns from scrimmage. Etienne certainly won't have the workload he did at Clemson, with James Robinson and Carlos Hydehandling the bulk of the carries.

Finding big plays: Etienne was a big-play machine at Clemson and that's something that Meyer noted was missing from the Jaguars' offense in 2020. They had the fewest rushes of 20 yards or more and receptions of 30 yards or more in the NFL with 16. They scored only three TDs on those explosive plays, which was fewer than every team except Chicago and Miami.

I didn't know that, actually. That sounds about right for Urban. It just seemed like the tea leaves were there and that Robinson had left a lot to be desired in that category. Whether Meyer is right about what speed brings to the table in the NFL is the question. Al Davis for a long time killed with speed, but he did so in the seventies and eighties. Almost everybody in the NFL has speed, the question is one of functional speed for the NFL, and we'll see if Etienne has it. That's where the disconnect lies with his college stats as a prospect and the reality of the NFL, where everybody is moving at a high clip. Plenty of guys have destroyed college with next level speed -- will Etienne's translate? The stat guys say yes, the film grinders don't seem to think quite as much.

I don't really have any clue who to listen to.

A side note about the Jags, away from Etienne. Thank God for those of us that roster Chark that he is a sub-4.4 guy (I think a 4.34?) or who knows where he'd be. I'd watch for receiving corps developments this year. Meyer already made noise about replacing Laviska, a 4.58 guy, with Toney. Many people have noted this and said to watch for Etienne actually eating into Laviska's designed plays. Should be something to watch, anyway.
Funny, Urban addressed almost exactly what you said. He said it's no secret that speed wins so it's competitive to get the speed guys. He also said speed needs to be the right kind: "efficient speed". Said he's had fast guys who couldn't play before but he thinks ETN checks every box for what they want. Said it's all about exploiting matchups and putting defenses 4th best cover guy on ETN in the passing game. I also really like how much ETN gushed about getting to play with Lawrence and how much they have worked after practice the last 2 years to develop chemistry in the passing game. 

What level of prospect is ETN ? What are 2 or 3 rookies from the last decade or so you would put him on par with? Because when I look at his college career, I have a hard time understanding why he's not universally considered a higher level prospect. 
Hew would of been last year, then again so would of Chuba.

Basic point is for the college kids come out ASAP.

Etienne is going to be fine guys, draft him at 4 and smile. Cant believe people are taking a TE infront of him. 

Etienne is going to be fine guys, draft him at 4 and smile. Cant believe people are taking a TE infront of him. 
Traded up from the 1.04 to get out of the conundrum of not having one of what I consider the big three, which are Chase, Harris, and Etienne. I really would be thrilled if I got Etienne at the 1.05. Probably won't happen, but one can dream.

I loved this post until the last sentence. Im a big fan of both Etienne's talent and landing spot but TE is the premiere spot in fantasy right now. Having someone like Kelce is such a positional advantage that is hard to find. Every draft has an Etienne, I don't think every draft has a Kyle Pitts. 

I loved this post until the last sentence. Im a big fan of both Etienne's talent and landing spot but TE is the premiere spot in fantasy right now. Having someone like Kelce is such a positional advantage that is hard to find. Every draft has an Etienne, I don't think every draft has a Kyle Pitts. 
I get the premise and if you told me within 2 year Pitts would be performing on par with Kelce, I would say he's the 1.01. However, last year in VBD, Kelce was 7th. The next TE was Waller at 29 and then Tonyan at 59. Meanwhile in the top 60 there were 25 RBs, 

All you just did was prove the positional scarcity of TEs
Yes in the sense that there are only a handful of TEs worth anything. Pitts a big swing. Either a HR or a total whiff. RBs and WRs give you some safety for a double. 

Ignoring the rookies, on Fantasy Pros there are 2 TEs in the dynasty top 50. There are 21 RBs and 23 WRs. It is pretty clear which position is most likely to retain value. 

Was astonished to nab this guy at 1.09 in my super flex dynasty draft. 
I don't play SF, but I'm not that surprised with the apparent emphasis on QBs, the hype of Pitts & Chase, and the questionable landing spot.  I'd be very happy to land a player like ETN at 1.09.

He pretty much HAS to be Kelce now.....odds of that are not very good. Kid could be amazing, probably wont live up to the hype is all I am saying.

I think he's the 3rd best RB in this class, behind Williams(the clear #1 this year to me) and Harris. In 2020 I liked Swift, Taylor, and Dobbins(he's probably the closest for me) more.  In 2019, I liked Josh Jacobs(barely) more. In 2018, I liked Barkley, Chubb, Penny, and Guice more. In 2017, I liked CMC, Cook, Fournette, Kamara, Mixon and Hunt all more, but I loved that class.  Had Zeke and Henry higher in 2016 as well. 

I think he's a tier 3 RB(good, but not great) in my opinion. I don't think he's a huge workload guy, and question his ability to be consistent on a week to week basis. I see him as a very flashy big play guy, but far from an elite prospect. I didn't see him churning out yards, I didn't see him carrying an offense, he had a huge drop in production when the offense got worse, and I see him looking for big plays, instead of settling for 3-4 yards a lot. 

Etienne is someone I like, but don't trust. I think he has a wide variety of potential outcomes. If he starts doing the things I didn't see him doing in college, a Jamaal Charles like career could await him. On the flip side, if he doesn't, and NFL defensive speed takes away some of those big plays, he might end up like Tevin Coleman. The truth is likely to be somewhere in the middle of those two in my opinion.

I will say, and perhaps its unfair to Etienne, but I probably would have been a lot higher on him if 2020 never happened. I think it exposed some warts that weren't visible earlier. His 2019 tape was probably as good or better than any of the Swift, Taylor, Dobbins trio, but 2020 put some nervousness into me, that I didn't have with any of them. 

I appreciate the honesty. I don't get it but appreciate it. Can't handle the workload yet he's the all time leading rusher in the ACC. Javonte never even led his own team in rushing yards. Some of the guys mentioned offered little in the passing game. I get what you are saying about grinding out yards but Urban said in his press conference that grinding out 4 yards at a time is exactly what he doesn't want. I know the big knock on him for 2020 is that he disappointed, but was it really that disappointing? His YPC dropped as Clemson wasn't as good as the previous years but he made up for it by being an ever better receiver. If they had played 15 games like they did the previous 2 years, he would have had: 

2018 12 receptions, 1736 total yards, 26 TDs

2019 37 receptions, 2046 yards, 23 TDs

2020 60 receptions, 1878 yards, 20 TDs

good - very good RB that went to a situation w a already strong performing RB in a team that got significantly better.

that's my issue. start and end. i dont see robinson getting worse in this situation. 

I appreciate the honesty. I don't get it but appreciate it. Can't handle the workload yet he's the all time leading rusher in the ACC. Javonte never even led his own team in rushing yards. Some of the guys mentioned offered little in the passing game. I get what you are saying about grinding out yards but Urban said in his press conference that grinding out 4 yards at a time is exactly what he doesn't want. I know the big knock on him for 2020 is that he disappointed, but was it really that disappointing? His YPC dropped as Clemson wasn't as good as the previous years but he made up for it by being an ever better receiver. If they had played 15 games like they did the previous 2 years, he would have had: 

2018 12 receptions, 1736 total yards, 26 TDs

2019 37 receptions, 2046 yards, 23 TDs

2020 60 receptions, 1878 yards, 20 TDs
Fully agree with you on the receiving aspect improving. That is a big reason why I still have him as mid 1st round rookie pick. Its definitely the aspect of his game that puts him ahead of Robinson.

What I am talking about isn't really shown in his numbers but in his tape. He just ran much more indecisively last year, when there weren't giant holes all the time. He showed an inability or unwillingness to settle for the 4 yard gain, and took some negative plays. I get the Urban said that he doesn't want that anyway, but that just makes Urban sound like he's in over his head, which he likely is. 

Etienne is the all-time leading rusher in ACC history, aided greatly because he was a 4 year starter on a loaded team. Even then, most rushing yards in ACC history still isn't top--25 overall. 

I swear I don't hate the guy or anything. I do hate RBs being drafted in round 1, unless they are truly elite. I don't think Etienne is, I don't Harris is either. Personally, I don't think any RB has been since Barkley.

Seems mostly defined by James Robinson being there
Yes, indeed it did. He got the highest marks of any back but for competition at the position with respect to his current situation. As somebody noted, that's a pretty subjective measurement and he's not real consistent in how he applies it.

Yes, indeed it did. He got the highest marks of any back but for competition at the position with respect to his current situation. As somebody noted, that's a pretty subjective measurement and he's not real consistent in how he applies it.
And I do get it, volume is huge and Najee is poised to get a lot this year. 

So do we really think James Robinson is some giant roadblock to touches? He did that under a totally different regime. and there was no one else on the roster. I honestly think Jrob will be lucky to not be baggin groceries in 2 season....no offense to our front line grocery baggers, but jrob is the definition of a JAG and the JAX just spent a 1st on Travis....

sometimes you guys make this stuff too hard and over think it

So do we really think James Robinson is some giant roadblock to touches? He did that under a totally different regime. and there was no one else on the roster. I honestly think Jrob will be lucky to not be baggin groceries in 2 season....no offense to our front line grocery baggers, but jrob is the definition of a JAG and the JAX just spent a 1st on Travis....

I haven't really overthought it. The author did. Robinson, by all accounts and media, is set to be the early-down back. Do I believe that?

No, I don't. But that's what the grade given by the author was motivated by. He's probably overthinking it. Etienne will have every chance to win the job, in my estimation, especially since he was taken in the first round. You want your top playmakers to get at least 16-18 touches a game, I'd guess. So it will be Etienne's charge to make that happen.

Wish I could have got him at the 1.05 today. No such luck.

Its possible Etienne absolutely takes the reigns from Robinson, but Robinson had 100 yards a game at 4.5 YPC, and 10 TD's, in a an awful offense. He's going to be a part of the offense, and certainly not bagging groceries. 

People on Twitter keep talking about ETN playing the Harvin Role in this offense and how they wanted Toney for it.
I hope he does play the Harvin/Samuel role. I don't think people saying that have actually looked at how Urban used those guys. If you take their college average per game touch breakdown and project it out to a 16 game NFL schedule, it would be 120 receptions, 90 carries and 1200-1400 yards. He would be a PPR gold mine. I don't think he is actually going to be used that way. He won't catch 120 passes and he will have more than 90 carries. I'm just pointing out the people who are using that as a knock on ETN's role in an Urban offense haven't actually thought that all the way through. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he does play the Harvin/Samuel role. I don't think people saying that have actually looked at how Urban used those guys. If you take their college average per game touch breakdown and project it out to a 16 game NFL schedule, it would be 120 receptions, 90 carries and 1200-1400 yards. He would be a PPR gold mine. I don't think he is actually going to be used that way. He won't catch 120 passes and he will have more than 90 carries. I'm just pointing out the people who are using that as a knock on ETN's role in an Urban offense haven't actually thought that all the way through. 
Now how about a 17 game season?

James Robinson was really good at what he does.  Much better than what you would think of as a UDFA would bring.  He is great in the hole and always gets positive yards while breaking initial tackles.  He does have limitations and those are filled by ETN.  Robinson isn't explosive in the manner of getting 40 yd plays but he is plenty quick with acceleration for 10 yd gains.  He is really good at that even on the terrible team of last year.  He will definitely have a role as his strengths/weaknesses are a good combo with ETN's strengths/weaknesses.  I think it was a great NFL pairing but will diminish both players for FF.  

James Robinson was really good at what he does.  Much better than what you would think of as a UDFA would bring.  He is great in the hole and always gets positive yards while breaking initial tackles.  He does have limitations and those are filled by ETN.  Robinson isn't explosive in the manner of getting 40 yd plays but he is plenty quick with acceleration for 10 yd gains.  He is really good at that even on the terrible team of last year.  He will definitely have a role as his strengths/weaknesses are a good combo with ETN's strengths/weaknesses.  I think it was a great NFL pairing but will diminish both players for FF.  
There is where I am at as well. James Robinson is certainly not a JAG, I think he proved that last year by being 3rd in yards after contact while in a terrible terrible offense. What he does not have though is home run speed, which apparently matters a great deal to the new coaching staff. Both backs should be involved this year which will make the backfield one that is hard to trust.

There is where I am at as well. James Robinson is certainly not a JAG, I think he proved that last year by being 3rd in yards after contact while in a terrible terrible offense. What he does not have though is home run speed, which apparently matters a great deal to the new coaching staff. Both backs should be involved this year which will make the backfield one that is hard to trust.
No he's not. But he is a guy in the same vein as Latavius Murray -  sufficient but nothing special.

can you list 1.01-1.08?
I can't speak for his but I also got him at 1.09 in a SF draft. It went:

Lawrence, Mac Jones, Lance, Fields, Javonte, Harris, Pitts, Wilson, ETN

It was a weird draft. The original 1.04 owner traded it straight for 1.07 plus 3.07 and then took Pitts at 1.07. I thought it was a pretty garbage trade for just the 3.07 and said so but it stood up. Jones at 1.02 was obviously the big shocker, though.

can you list 1.01-1.08?
I actually... can’t as it stands ! This league is on the sleeper app which I’m absolutely awful at navigating. Can’t seem to find draft history. However it was these exact players and  along the lines of 

Lawrence, Lance, Chase, Harris, Pitts, Wilson, Fields, Williams 

I can't speak for his but I also got him at 1.09 in a SF draft. It went:

Lawrence, Mac Jones, Lance, Fields, Javonte, Harris, Pitts, Wilson, ETN

It was a weird draft. The original 1.04 owner traded it straight for 1.07 plus 3.07 and then took Pitts at 1.07. I thought it was a pretty garbage trade for just the 3.07 and said so but it stood up. Jones at 1.02 was obviously the big shocker, though.
No Chase???

TartanLion said:
I actually... can’t as it stands ! This league is on the sleeper app which I’m absolutely awful at navigating. Can’t seem to find draft history. However it was these exact players and  along the lines of 

Lawrence, Lance, Chase, Harris, Pitts, Wilson, Fields, Williams 
Thx for this. I’m in the six spot and want a QB (Watson, Tannehill, Mayfield). The one pick is a Steelers homer, so I anticipate it will be Harris, then the 4 QBs above, then who knows. That puts me in the lap of Chase or Etienne.

RBs - Chubb, Swift, Gibson, Gaskin, Davis, JRobinson

WRs - Hopkins, Ridley, AJB, Lockett, Deebo, Higgins

Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:
Now how about a 17 game season?
LOL it's going to take me awhile to get used to that. 

Andy Dufresne said:
No he's not. But he is a guy in the same vein as Latavius Murray -  sufficient but nothing special.
like current Murray to. Young Murray had major wheels. I actually think Robinson is a good comp to late stage career Ingram. However, we see time and time again RBs who perform well out of nowhere and never repeat it. We could make quite a list of come from nowhere 1 season wonders at the RB position. 

Andy Dufresne said:
There are a lot of reasons to think James Robinson is a better player than Murray. That's not really the point though, here is the carry breakdown for Murray/Kamara their two years together

• 2019 Murray 146 / Kamara 171
  • 2020 Murray 146 / Kamara 187
Obviously Kamara was much more involved in the passing game but I expect a similar timeshare. Maybe Meyer wants Etienne to be a 150 carry / 80 rec back like Kamara. He is on record saying he looks at him as a 3rd down back. The point is that both players will severely limit the others upside in fantasy. It would be difficult for either player to exceed 250 touches. 

There are a lot of reasons to think James Robinson is a better player than Murray. That's not really the point though, here is the carry breakdown for Murray/Kamara their two years together

• 2019 Murray 146 / Kamara 171
  • 2020 Murray 146 / Kamara 187
Obviously Kamara was much more involved in the passing game but I expect a similar timeshare. Maybe Meyer wants Etienne to be a 150 carry / 80 rec back like Kamara. He is on record saying he looks at him as a 3rd down back. The point is that both players will severely limit the others upside in fantasy. It would be difficult for either player to exceed 250 touches. 
Welcome to the RB position in 2021.

Etienne becomes one of only 5 Power 5 RBs since 2005 to have 6000 career yards. He does it on fewer touches than anyone else. 200 less touches than Jonathan Taylor. 

Haters: Travis Etienne is too small to be a feature back in the NFL

Etienne weighs in at 215 with above average BMI

Haters: But he looked out of shape.

Etienne posts a 93rd percentile Relative Athletic Score

Haters: He's still not a feature back and is system dependent. I don't think he is going in the 1st round. Najee will get much better draft capital. 

Etienne goes in the 1st round 1 pick after Harris to a team that wants to emphasize his speed and pass catching skills

Haters: He's going to get used in Jacksonville like a 3 down back

Etienne runs for 2,242 yards and scores 39 TDs as a freshman and sophomore

Haters: Yeah but he doesn't catch passes, not a complete back

Etienne catches 85 passes 

Haters: He's just a 3rd down back

Was totally set to pounce on this guy at 1.04 until Najee Harris fell into my lap.  He's a DeMarco Murray clone.

ETA: if memory serves, DeMarco Murray's dynasty stock was a little down in his rookie draft.

Etienne runs for 2,242 yards and scores 39 TDs as a freshman and sophomore

Haters: Yeah but he doesn't catch passes, not a complete back

Etienne catches 85 passes 

Haters: He's just a 3rd down back
I believe he will be an asset in PPR leagues.  He does appear to be an impatient runner, lacking agility between the tackles.

I believe he will be an asset in PPR leagues.  He does appear to be an inpatient runner, lacking agility between the tackles.
I agree, his style is definitely to try and find the lane and sprint for it. It may not translate to the NFL but plenty of RBs with patience and solid traditional footwork have failed as well. I am just happy to bet on the guy who hits on every possible box except for the subjective running style preference. 

Users who are viewing this thread