What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Travis Etienne, JAX (1 Viewer)

I completely agree with this. Whenever I watch college football there is an adjustment compared to pro football you have to make and its mostly because of incompetence on defense.

As far as what to look for with a RB I try to ignore everything besides just the RB and what they do. Context is important of course, you have to recognize what the RB is reacting to and it is helpful to understand the play they are running, thats not always easy to do but it helps a lot if you understand the play and what the rules are for the RB on such plays as part of the evaluation.

When I was doing the trait based charting I had like 13 different things I was looking for and I would just check the box if the player demonstrated one or more of those things on a play. Some plays are more impressive than others, so for instance if you see a RB using power to gain extra yards after contact, not all of those plays are the same effort or feat of doing this, so in some cases it would be worth more than one check, maybe two for a really exceptional play.

Similarly if a player does something bad that would be a negative check for that trait on that play. I rarely had these most of my checks were when the player did something positive.

Honestly its a time consuming process and its a lot harder than people think. Even for folks who have been watching football for decades, if you sit down and actually try to take evaluating these players seriously, you begin to realize there is a lot you dont know about football and you may have to stop and study some of those things to make better sense of what you are watching. That is what happened with me anyways.

I did learn a lot. There is still a lot I do not know.
So what’s your take? 

So what’s your take? 
Scroll back it should be clear.

I think ETN is the best rookie player for fantasy in 2021.

If he had come out last year I would have ranked him as the same tier as Taylor Swift and Dobbins and he would be at the top of that tier although it's more of tie between him and Taylor, and I dont think Swift or Dobbins are far behind.

Maybe the Jaguars and their coach cause me to be disappointed in his performance. That remains to be seen. But I believe in the talent of the player. 

Last edited by a moderator:
To be brutally honest, I have no idea what to look for which is why I don't do any player evaluations.  In general, college defenses are complete ####, which skews the results even if the process was bad.

My impressions:

Miami - he got a ton of dumpoffs and did almost nothing with them.  Running plays were nearly all stuffed or losses.  2nd quarter TD was not so much him doing anything well, he benefited from terrible tackling after running hopelessly up the gut. I saw what appeared to be two separate holding violations (OL and WR) on the play.

To end the 1st half he had one good run on an RPO (I think?) and a good gain on a designed screen pass.

3rd quarter long TD was a nice play to show his speed, but holy hell what an atrocious defensive call and lackadaisical attempts at tackles (see comment above about college defenses being complete ####). #21 gave up on it thinking his teammate would make the play.

4th quarter shuffle pass was an exhibition in showing me a player who doesn't want to do the dirty work.  He completely gave himself up instead of trying to play over/around/through the defender.

I grade the game roughly a B, I guess?  He didn't do anything special.

Virginia - Looks like they didn't want to cover him at all at first.  And he still ran poorly up the middle.  Had a wide open play that he could have busted to the outside and couldn't get there, the defender ran him down easily.  Went down on first contact.

Stuffed on 2nd and 1 short of the 1st down.

Great effort and balance on the 1st quarter TD, but also terrible tacking and terrible angles by the defense (see comment above about college defenses being complete ####)

3rd quarter dumpoff huge gain was primarily poor tackling, but if you want to give him credit for breaking them I won't argue it. Again I'll critique his effort at the end of the run allowing the defender to push him out of bounds.

3rd quarter run from the 8 yard line - couldn't accelerate through a HUGE hole and was taken down at the five.  TD catch on the next play was either a great play call or horrific defense, he did nothing special himself.  I credit Lawrence on that one.

I'll go through the other two videos if you want, but if these are examples of his 'great play', then call me unconvinced.
I just picked 2 games that were available online. Not particularly best or worst. He did crush in those games though, 13 catches 409 years and 4 TDs. 

Scroll back it should be clear.

I think ETN is the best rookie player for fantasy in 2021.

If he had come out last year I would have ranked him as the same tier as Taylor Swift and Dobbins and he would be at the top of that tier although it's more of tie between him and Taylor, and I dont think Swift or Dobbins are far behind.

Maybe the Jaguars and their coach cause me to be disappointed in his performance. That remains to be seen. But I believe in the talent of the player. 
ETN in the same tier as Taylor Swift?

I finally got around to looking at some ADP and I was shocked to find that ETN is being mocked (pun intended) as the 98th player over all and the 38th RB over all in PPR format.

I don't know what to say about this. I dont think I have been this far off on my valuation of a player compared to consensus since Jay Ajayi.

I finally got around to looking at some ADP and I was shocked to find that ETN is being mocked (pun intended) as the 98th player over all and the 38th RB over all in PPR format.

I don't know what to say about this. I dont think I have been this far off on my valuation of a player compared to consensus since Jay Ajayi.
This is mind boggling. Just for reference, here is RB30-40 in PPR last year:

30 Giovani Bernard TB 158.1 16 9.9
31 Devin Singletary BUF 143.6 16 9.0
32 Jeff Wilson Jr. SF 142.3 12 11.9
33 Wayne Gallman SF 136.6 15 9.1
34 Latavius Murray NO 136.2 15 9.1
35 Leonard Fournette TB 132.0 13 10.2
36 Darrell Henderson LAR 130.3 15 8.7
37 Gus Edwards BAL 128.2 16 8.0
38 Jamaal Williams DET 127.1 14 9.1
39 Jerick McKinnon KC 126.2 15 8.4
40 Adrian Peterson DET 124.5 16 7.8

I'll take the over 38.

I think a much more likely tier for him to land in is Nyheim Hines (15) and J.D. McKissic (17) who achieved RB2 PPR status with 62 and 80 catches, respectively.

Dabo Sweeny with the Next Level Coach Speak:

:lmao:
Ohhhh k then. I like ETN a lot, got him in a ton of spots, redraft and dynasty, can't freaking wait to see him in action. But let's stop with that ####. 

Also, and just for fun because his name came up, Walter had 8 passing TDs in his career. He could do it all. And he was only 200 pounds. Fantasy beast. 38 receptions per season. Career ~17.3 PPR Fantasy Points per game

I sincerely will be really happy if ETN comes even remotely close to those numbers for like 3 years.

Walter Payton is the best all around RB I have ever watcher from a pure talent perspective. Obviously that’s the most hyperbolic statement in the history of hyperbole.
Such a sloppy comparison...not fair to the kid and makes you have to wonder about anything Dabo says about his players going forward. 

Walter's first 8 season touch totals went like this:

180* 1982 strike shortened season

He then turned 29 going into his 9th season. Not sure what the narrative at that point was, but he then followed those workload seasons with:

367, 426, 373 and 358 before dropping to 179 in his final season. PPR per game he went 20.0, 20.4, 20.5, 17.2 and then 11.5 in those last 5 seasons. 

I think a much more likely tier for him to land in is Nyheim Hines (15) and J.D. McKissic (17) who achieved RB2 PPR status with 62 and 80 catches, respectively.
152 and 165 touches, 77 and 110 targets. Swift was RB18 on 160 touches - 57 targets, 46 receptions. Chase Edmonds was RB23 on 150 touches (68 targets, 53 catches.)

Personally I think James Robinson will lead the team in carries by a good margin, but Etienne will be far more efficient. He should make a good RB2 with the usual ups and downs, hit or miss starts.

I know that came out in October but what a strange approach to a feature story on him. It's not like he was not known.

Anyway I heard Dabo give the Payton comp to him a few months ago on a Podcast, if you want to hear a more expansive explanation kick it to the 16:39 mark: Dabo on Trevor/ETN
Well it’s the first I had heard of him. Thought maybe some people here might want to know about a sleeper pick. 

I'm a bit skeptical from a redraft perspective.  Between the presence of Robinson and Hyde, and the fact that the player Meyer really wanted in the 1st was Toney, I'm not sure there will be a huge and consistent role for Etienne this season. It's possible that he's so explosive that he can do with 8-12 touches what most players can do with 16-20 but that't tough to count on. I realize this may be a lazy comp because of the Clemson connection, but I do worry that this could initially be a CJ Spiller situation where people couldn't believe that the Bills were prioritizing Fred Jackson over Spiller.  DeShaun Foster/DeAngelo Williams also comes to mind.

I have no doubt that Etienne will produce some highlight reel plays but I think they'll be tough to count on/predict. This situation is generally too murky for my liking.

152 and 165 touches, 77 and 110 targets. Swift was RB18 on 160 touches - 57 targets, 46 receptions. Chase Edmonds was RB23 on 150 touches (68 targets, 53 catches.)

Personally I think James Robinson will lead the team in carries by a good margin, but Etienne will be far more efficient. He should make a good RB2 with the usual ups and downs, hit or miss starts.
Whar makes you think Robinson will lead the team in carries?

The coaches were not there when Robinson played very well last season and they decided to use a 1st round pick on ETN.

I don't understand. I haven't watched a lot of Robinson but when he played against the Vikings he was fine but not that explosive. And the Vikings could not stop anyone from running the ball last year. Look what Kamara did to them. Robinson talent level does not hold a candle to ETN in my view and I don't see why he would lead the team in carries or touches.

Coaches hype their guys, but yeah that’s a very generous comp lol
Indeed. I love ETN but I wouldn't go that far. Payton the best RB I have ever seen and Barry Sanders is a player I doubt I ever see again in my life time but I would still take Payton over him if I had the choice.

I listened to the clip menobrown posted and it sounds like the coach hasn't been paying attention to football or something as when DJ brings up Jamal Charles he calls that new school even though Charles had a full career and has been retired for many years. It just sounds like he isn't hip to comparison game.

What he does say about ETN while making that comparison is that ETN is a complete RB has great yards after contact and fantastic acceleration. Which is all true.

To update where things stand as of today, in PPR leagues, MFL has his ADP as RB14 / 30th player picked overall. 

Whar makes you think Robinson will lead the team in carries?

The coaches were not there when Robinson played very well last season and they decided to use a 1st round pick on ETN.

I don't understand. I haven't watched a lot of Robinson but when he played against the Vikings he was fine but not that explosive. And the Vikings could not stop anyone from running the ball last year. Look what Kamara did to them. Robinson talent level does not hold a candle to ETN in my view and I don't see why he would lead the team in carries or touches.
Robinson is very good between the tackles and breaking the first tackle.  He has great quickness in the hole but doesn't have break away speed.  His best attribute is always gaining yards with a good shot at 10 yd gains every time he touches it.  He just doesn't have the breakaway ability to make them bigger plays.  He and ETN are very good NFL compliments.  The things Robinson excels at are the things ETN is weaker at.  I think they will both be used to their strengths and it will be much better for real NFL than it is for FF.

Jaguars signed No. 25 overall pick RB Travis Etienne to a four-year contract.

As with all first-round rookie contracts, the deal includes a fifth-year option for the Jags. Ian Rapoport noted that Etienne's contract includes no offset language and a front-loaded signing bonus. Etienne's role as a rookie remains unclear. He was a three-down player at Clemson but Urban Meyer has talked about using him as a third-down back and wide receiver since drafting him. It may take some time but Etienne fully supplanting James Robinson seems inevitable. He'll start the year as a FLEX option for fantasy purposes but could surge all the way into the ranks of the high-end RB2s by the end of the year if he earns a significant share of Jacksonville's carries.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 19, 2021, 8:15 AM ET

I'm starting to get nervous that ETN is quickly becoming a Percy Harvin-type guy here, gadget WR/kr hybrid,  David Meggett Swiss knife type of player. If true, Robinson is a very good addition to any fantasy roster and should climb the pre-draft RB rankings.

Just because Meyer and Co are a new coaching staff, doesn't, or shouldn't necessarily mean that they'll kick Robinson to the curb. Plenty of coaches inherit players and make them better. we'll see how this plays out

I'm starting to get nervous that ETN is quickly becoming a Percy Harvin-type guy here, gadget WR/kr hybrid,  David Meggett Swiss knife type of player. If true,

Robinson

is a very good addition to any fantasy roster and should climb the pre-draft RB rankings.

Just because Meyer and Co are a new coaching staff, doesn't, or shouldn't necessarily mean that they'll kick

Robinson

to the curb. Plenty of coaches inherit players and make them better. we'll see how this plays out
There is a huge physical difference there:

Percy Harvin was a 185lb WR who they designed gadget plays around.  But those gadget plays are now a norm for NFL teams who run the RPO.  It's just the jet sweep.  Harvin was never meant to be a RB (IMO)

ETN is a 215lb RB, who will catch out of the backfield.

I don't think Robinson is an afterthought for the coaches either.

I'm starting to get nervous that ETN is quickly becoming a Percy Harvin-type guy here, gadget WR/kr hybrid,  David Meggett Swiss knife type of player. If true, Robinson is a very good addition to any fantasy roster and should climb the pre-draft RB rankings.

Just because Meyer and Co are a new coaching staff, doesn't, or shouldn't necessarily mean that they'll kick Robinson to the curb. Plenty of coaches inherit players and make them better. we'll see how this plays out
During the one season Harvin was healthy and played in 16 games, he had 87/1300/8. That would have been good enough last year to finish as the RB4 in ppr.

Sports Illustrated's John Shipley said Jaguars RB Travis Etienne has been "uncoverable" in training camp. 

Jacksonville linebackers have been regularly left in the dust in one-on-one situations with the rookie during training camp. Head coach Urban Meyer is intent on utilizing Etienne primarily as a pass catcher; James Robinson and Carlos Hyde are expected to share early-down duties. Etienne's role remaining stagnant throughout the season is a tough sell though. He'll likely take on a larger workload if his excellent college production carries over to the pros. Etienne is one of the most attractive dead zone running backs in fantasy. Shipley added RB Dare Ogunbowale has been the best Jaguars running back in pass protection. 

RELATED: 

James Robinson

, Dare Ogunbowale

SOURCE: John Shipley on Twitter 

Aug 3, 2021, 11:06 AM ET

Just out of curiosity who went ahead of him?
Harris, Chase, Waddle in that order. I considered Williams as an alternative, but thought more upside given I read they want get Etienne out in space pass catching. He showed lot of speed on his film. Who knows, could be wrong choice. I was fine with either rb.

Harris, Chase, Waddle in that order. I considered Williams as an alternative, but thought more upside given I read they want get Etienne out in space pass catching. He showed lot of speed on his film. Who knows, could be wrong choice. I was fine with either rb.
I just took him at 1.06, 12 team ppr, 1 qb

Chase, Lawrence, Harris, Pitts, Williams.

Was thrilled to get him there

Waddle at 1.03 is such a terrible pick, wow.  

I just took him at 1.06, 12 team ppr, 1 qb

Chase, Lawrence, Harris, Pitts, Williams.

Was thrilled to get him there
and Lawrence at 2 in a 1 QB league is even worse. You guys have really benefited here. This is like someone taking Ruggs or Burrow over Swift, Akers or Dobbins last year. Just inexplicable. 

Ilov80s said:
Waddle at 1.03 is such a terrible pick, wow.  

and Lawrence at 2 in a 1 QB league is even worse. You guys have really benefited here. This is like someone taking Ruggs or Burrow over Swift, Akers or Dobbins last year. Just inexplicable. 
I know. But remember last year… CEH was best pick for RB. Justin Jefferson was told by coach he needs lot of work on route running. And Herbert was not going to start. 

I got Taylor, Jefferson, Herbert, and Edwards. 

Things seem easy, but you trust what you see. 🥴

I know. But remember last year… CEH was best pick for RB. Justin Jefferson was told by coach he needs lot of work on route running. And Herbert was not going to start. 

I got Taylor, Jefferson, Herbert, and Edwards. 

Things seem easy, but you trust what you see. 🥴
I thought CEH should have been a mid to late 1st round pick. His value was total Mahomes related inflation. He wasn’t that good of a prospect. I don’t think whether Herbert was or wasn’t going to start week 1 really had an impact on his dynasty rookie ADP. People just thought he wasn’t that good (even though he was basically the kind of QB you would create in a lab). Jefferson’s rookie ADP also wasn’t really impacted by his poor summer reports. He was pretty firmly slotted in between 7-10. 

Also you killed that draft. I missed Jefferson by 1 pick and took Reagor- GROSS. Got Mims but have since moved him for Edwards. Also took Herbert. So we are very much on the same page.

As I just said in another topic, more and more I see ETN taking over as the feature back, and it doesn’t even feel remotely controversial to me. 

He’s a bargain in the 5th, and even feels like a value pick in the late 4th as a RB2 for teams going TE or WR early.

I don’t see Robinson holding onto the early down job for a month, and even that feels like a maybe. Urban Meyer is very FOS when it comes to revealing his plans, and all this talk about exclusive use as a WR is poppycock. Follow the talent. Never mind draft equity, but there’s that going for ETN too.

I have no doubt that they’ll have Robinson in the backfield and split ETN out wide sometimes, and likely on plays that go to ETN. But I also have no doubt that by October, ETN is leading the team In carries & Robinson is relegated to backup / breather back / decoy in the backfield. 

If I had Robinson in dynasty I’d be selling for whatever the market will pay now before his value craters.

Hot take 🔥

(another post I’m sure will be quoted in the future if I’m wrong, but I’m ok with that risk, just like I’m ok taking ETN’s upside in the 4th)

It's almost as if this should have been written in May.

I should have been paying more attention in May. 

That said, I damn near too ETN over Pitts when I traded up to 1.08, but TE was a bigger need thanks to Engram stinking up my dynasty roster for the last several years while I started Gronk.  Plus I'd simultaneously been negotiating to acquire CEH, so Pitts made more sense. I still feel like it was a coin flip. 

Ps - if I were a betting man, I’d be more inclined to bet that Etienne makes Robinson irrelevant than Javonte Williams taking over completely from Gordon.

🔥

Users who are viewing this thread