What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Travis Etienne, JAX (2 Viewers)

Get an idea of what you don't like I guess.
Yeah that’s part of the puzzle, but I’m usually trying to figure out what the player does well and how they can win at the NFL. I think I would prefer a player who does a couple things really well but isn’t complete than a jack of all trades master of none type.

Yeah that’s part of the puzzle, but I’m usually trying to figure out what the player does well and how they can win at the NFL. I think I would prefer a player who does a couple things really well but isn’t complete than a jack of all trades master of none type.
It’s very easy to get cloudy.  Paralysis by analysis.

There are flaws in ETN’s game but that’s true of any RB. Barry didn’t push the pile, would make negative plays looking to break the big run. Emmit didn’t have long speed. Henry doesn’t do anything in the passing game. I think it’s more important to look at what they do well and how they can win at the next level because there’s almost no such thing as a perfect player who can do everything.
Walter did it all. He also completed 11/34 for 331, 8 TDs, 6 INTs. Lol I'm just kidding had to give a shameless plug for my boy. That did it all.

Walter did it all. He also completed 11/34 for 331, 8 TDs, 6 INTs. Lol I'm just kidding had to give a shameless plug for my boy. That did it all.
Yeah he may have been the most complete back. LT was really well rounded also. There’s plenty of room for a RB to not be Payton but to still be an RB1 in fantasy.

Pro Football Focus graded Clemson RB Travis Etienne as the best pass-catcher in the 2021 RB draft class. 

The 2021 draft class has a handful of impressive pass-catchers at the top, so being that group is quite impressive. Etienne (5'10/205) held a 90.9 receiving grade, per PFF, which makes him the only RB in the class to clear the 90 mark. UNC's Michael Carter trails just behind at 88.6, with Alabama's Najee Harris coming in at third. Etienne needs to clean up his pass pro in the NFL, but it's clear his receiving ability will give him a role on third downs. 

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Mar 21, 2021, 1:07 PM ET

Tanner9919 said:
yikes., that's not a good thing. 4.1 yards and a cloud of dust, 41recs/yr. 

only one 1,000 yard season in 6 years in the NFL. 

Fantasy scoring very, very heavily dependent on TDs.

no thanks
I've never been a huge Mevin Gordon fan, but he's a stereotypic back with all the traits and there will be no question he'll get carries. Will be wholly dependent on what his o-line blocks for him.

Gordon was overrated coming out too.

I don't think I've ever seen a RB with more group think than Etienne.  I own him in one devy league and wouldn't touch him in any other draft if I have a top 6 pick.

I wanted him pretty badly last summer when he should have came out.

this year, i have the 3pick and he isnt even in the discussion 

I don't think I've ever seen a RB with more group think than Etienne.  I own him in one devy league and wouldn't touch him in any other draft if I have a top 6 pick.
Why not?  I don't understand the hate.  This guy had one of the greatest careers in college football history.

Why not?  I don't understand the hate.  This guy had one of the greatest careers in college football history.
Not everbody hates him. I sure don't. Do I like him as much as some of last year's backs? Probably not, but he's a surefire top five guy (and most would say top three or four) right now.

I would certainly think so.
That said, there's something about him that screams if he's not in the right situation, he might be in trouble. The draft and his landing spot will take care of that. He did have one of the best college careers ever, and I'm surprised he went back to school merely to upgrade his stock into the first round. Will the gamble pay off? We'll see. I do know one thing: coaches invest a whole lot more in you if they take you in the first than if they take you in the second, it seems.

Pretty sure you can find my posts where I go into detail on Etienne.  Not going to rehash it over and over.  I'm not saying he will be a failure, but I like the other two RBs more and even the top 4 WRs and Pitts.

Pretty sure you can find my posts where I go into detail on Etienne.  Not going to rehash it over and over.  I'm not saying he will be a failure, but I like the other two RBs more and even the top 4 WRs and Pitts.
@JohnnyU - If you had the 1.08 pick and the other two RBs were gone along with the top 4 WRs and Pitts, would Etienne be the easy choice for you, or would you have other players who you would consider for that pick?

That's fine, I haven't kept up too closely on the thread.  But I'm just amazed at the hate I see everywhere.  I get that not everyone is going to see him as a perfect prospect but to say he's outside the top 6 is pretty extreme in my view, and I don't really understand.  I realize he's not a can't-miss or anything, because who is?, but I think people are overthinking this.

That's fine, I haven't kept up too closely on the thread.  But I'm just amazed at the hate I see everywhere.  I get that not everyone is going to see him as a perfect prospect but to say he's outside the top 6 is pretty extreme in my view, and I don't really understand.  I realize he's not a can't-miss or anything, because who is?, but I think people are overthinking this.
I think this is pretty unique to Johnny U and ETN and I am not sure what Johnny Us motivation is here honestly.

He thinks ETN doesnt run well between the tackles and he would like to see him make defenders miss more in space. The criticisms are fair but the conclusion (would take 4 WR ahead of ETN) is not in my view. 

If I didnt know better it almost seems like Johnny U is trying to depress the perceived value of ETN by posting negative things about him all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is pretty unique to Johnny U and ETN and I am not sure what Johnny Us motivation is here honestly.

He thinks ETN doesnt run well between the tackles and he would like to see him make defenders miss more in space. The criticisms are fair but the conclusion (would take 4 WR ahead of ETN) is not in my view. 

If I didnt know better it almost seems like Johnny U is trying to depress the perceived value of ETN by posting negative things about him all the time.
Not doing that at all.  I feel he is the RB #3 and I like the big 4 WRs over him.  I don’t think that is so unbelievable.  I just feel ETN lacks wiggle and vision.  I could be wrong.  He seems to be a straight line guy.  I’m not saying he won’t have value, especially in PPR leagues.  He’s an excellent receiver out of the backfield.  I just see him in a 50/50 or at best a 60/40 timeshare in the NFL.  He is definitely landing spot dependent IMO.  I have ETN in one dynasty league and I’m not shopping him currently.

Ok the 4 WR you think you would select over ETN are they all going to be top 12 WR for fantasy?

Who do you think has a better chance of being top 12 at their position for fantasy? ETN or those 4 WR?

I am an advocate for the long term value of WR over RB in dynasty but I still like to win and there is no way I would select any of these WR over ETN

Ok the 4 WR you think you would select over ETN are they all going to be top 12 WR for fantasy?

Who do you think has a better chance of being top 12 at their position for fantasy? ETN or those 4 WR?

I am an advocate for the long term value of WR over RB in dynasty but I still like to win and there is no way I would select any of these WR over ETN
Johnny is entitled to his opinion and I'm glad that everyone doesn't see things the same way..

I also rank ETN as the 3rd RB and behind Chase and, depending on roster, Pitts.   So, in theory, I have him as 5th off the board.  I can see someone really liking Smith and/or Waddle so i don't think Johnny's take is out of the realm of reason.  A knock on ETN, as a rookie, might be age due to a 4 year college career.

That being said, fantasy drafts being so RB centric, I don't expect to see ETN drop past #4 in start one QB leagues.

Yeah I am all for people having different opinions. 

I think Travis Etienne is the best RB and fantasy player of the 2021 draft. Talent level comparable to Swift or Taylor from last year and he should be the first RB selected in the NFL draft.

Chase/Smith/Waddle... who's number 4?

Another guy who I like the more I watch. He may not be the shiftiest, but he is a smart runner who runs way more aggressively than I initially thought. Kind of a hit knife through butter runner, he will burst through arm tackles and has distance speed. Still like Javonte more but I if gun to head today I would take Etienne over Harris. There are some really nice landing spots that will help decipher these guys as I have the top three fairly closely ranked.

Let's look at this issue from the backside going forward:  What teams would change your mind about ETN if he went to them?

Teams that need RBs:
Miami, Pitt, Jets, Buf(?), and likely the cardinals.

If he goes to Miami?  Well they still need their O line to gel, but if they had Harris or Williams you'd go high for them...

Pitt? I see people getting excited there

Jets: Nope, likely deflates his value

Buffalo: well, they have 2 other backs so it would muddy things, but he likely is the best of the three

Arizona: YAHTZEE!!!!!!  

Now, teams that could use a RB, but he would be in a committee:
New Orleans - as Kamara's backup he would have some value

Jacksonville: He may be an upgrade over Robinson, but it would take some time to sort out.

Can't see another spot where I'd be jazzed to se him there.  Maybe Denver?

Why do people always assume Pittsburgh is a great landing spot, me included?  Didn't their line suck last year?
you figure with those receivers, you are going to see a lot of 6 and 7 man fronts, I guess.

Atlanta would be nice if you think Smith is a placeholder and not a starter.

Why do people always assume Pittsburgh is a great landing spot, me included?  Didn't their line suck last year?
It did but I think it's two things. One, the organization is well ran so people have faith they will fix the line. Second, they have a coach who has shown he still prefers having a single workhorse RB. 

With Pitts and Chase having the pro days they just had, Etienne probably is now in the top five range only, and may not be a surefire top three guy.

Maurkice Pouncey retired this offseason too

you figure with those receivers, you are going to see a lot of 6 and 7 man fronts, I guess.

Atlanta would be nice if you think Smith is a placeholder and not a starter.
IDK.  Aging Big Ben wouldn't (couldn't???) throw deep.  Essentially they were seeing a loaded box with safeties and DBs playing so close to the LOS

My realistic RB landing spots that I would really like for fantasy are:

Rd 1 Najee Harris to Pitt (seems high for the Steelers who have a few needs- maybe the Steelers could trade back a few picks if a playoff team wanted to move up for an OL or Edge who slipped a bit farther than expected) Harris brings a lot of the same traits Bell and Conner did. He's probably somewhere between them talent wise. 

Rd 2 Arizona trades up for ETN, stylistically and skill wise ETN is like the super version of Drake

Rd 2 Denver takes Williams, Gordon is in the last year of his deal and Lindsay is gone.This team has a lot of really good pieces in place and if they get the right QB, this could be a high powered offense. I could easily see Williams doing what Lindsay did last year and then in 2022 doing what Gordon has. 

Rd 3 Atlanta takes Kenny Gainwell, he can ease his way in with Davis heading the committee, Gainwell could provide an explosive punch that Atlanta hasn't had in the backfield in a few years

Rd 3 Miami takes Jermar Jefferson and he has the chance to pass up Gaskins as the lead back pretty quickly, Miami RBs were pretty productive last season

Rd 3  Jets pick Chuba Hubbard , I assume they are going to try a Shanny like system where a one cut and go RB can thrive, that is the system Hubbard likely needs 

With Pitts and Chase having the pro days they just had, Etienne probably is now in the top five range only, and may not be a surefire top three guy.
Chase and Pitts looked great but supply and demand to me says RBs should be top 2 picks. RB really falls off fast both in rookie drafts and dynasty in general where as WR is really deep. I love Pitts but TE in the top 5 of non TE premium is too rich for me. 

My thought is that I am not going to overthink it. ETN had one of the greatest careers for a college RB in the last 25 years. He played on the biggest stages against the best teams. He is a great pass catcher. Unless he ends up in a really poor spot, I am not overthinking this evaluation. 

My realistic RB landing spots that I would really like for fantasy are:

Rd 1 Najee Harris to Pitt (seems high for the Steelers who have a few needs- maybe the Steelers could trade back a few picks if a playoff team wanted to move up for an OL or Edge who slipped a bit farther than expected) Harris brings a lot of the same traits Bell and Conner did. He's probably somewhere between them talent wise. 

Rd 2 Arizona trades up for ETN, stylistically and skill wise ETN is like the super version of Drake

Rd 2 Denver takes Williams, Gordon is in the last year of his deal and Lindsay is gone.This team has a lot of really good pieces in place and if they get the right CB, this could be a high powered offense. I could easily see Williams doing what Lindsay did last year and then in 2022 doing what Gordon has. 

Rd 3 Atlanta takes Kenny Gainwell, he can ease his way in with Davis heading the committee, Gainwell could provide an explosive punch that Atlanta hasn't had in the backfield in a few years

Rd 3 Miami takes Jermar Jefferson and he has the chance to pass up Gaskins as the lead back pretty quickly, Miami RBs were pretty productive last season

Rd 3  Jets pick Chuba Hubbard , I assume they are going to try a Shanny like system where a one cut and go RB can thrive, that is the system Hubbard likely needs 
I generally agree with these as dream landing spots, especially the Jets and Hubbard, whom I'd linked them to in the Jets thread for that exact reason. The need to run stretches and one cut and go in that offense might be ideal for his long speed.

But they're all pretty much dream landing scenarios, so the likelihood of it happening, as you obviously know, is unfortunately not that great. And a lot of places link Harris to MIA for some reason. Perhaps they're just blowing smoke. We'll see. I think teams are going to be really flexible with their policies about running backs this year. They're just not worth the capital investment to most teams.

Chase and Pitts looked great but supply and demand to me says RBs should be top 2 picks. RB really falls off fast both in rookie drafts and dynasty in general where as WR is really deep. I love Pitts but TE in the top 5 of non TE premium is too rich for me.
You're going to have to drag me kicking and screaming to Pitts at five, but I think you can get me there as long as you're willing to put up with me during the ride.

You're going to have to drag me kicking and screaming to Pitts at five, but I think you can get me there as long as you're willing to put up with me during the ride.
I'm seriously thinking about him at 3 in a TE premium league and already have Kittle and Andrews and can only start 2 TEs and I need RBs.  I would most likely draft Williams or Harris at 3 if there, but if I had to choose between ETN, Pitts, and Chase, that is where it gets interesting between Chase and Pitts.

Users who are viewing this thread