What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Gardner Minshew II - LV (2 Viewers)

I keep waiting for this guy to come back to earth but he keeps prevailing. He has another couple tough tests coming up at Carolina and against NO. If he leads his team to victories these next two weeks there is just no way they can go back to Foles. After that he gets a break with NYJ and Cinc and could have Jax in the drivers seat in their division.

need2know said:
yeah hes shown already to be better than detmer.  damn
I compared him to a Chad Pennington. A smart and efficient leader. He does not possess are great arm. But he is a heck of hard nosed QB. Hard not to root for the kid.

I compared him to a Chad Pennington. A smart and efficient leader. He does not possess are great arm. But he is a heck of hard nosed QB. Hard not to root for the kid.
Seems like he could be at least  be a great backup for the foreseeable future

Other than the fumbles, he's not playing like a rookie. Out playing the #1 pick. The guy is accurate, makes good reads and plays with confidence. The fumbles aren't good, but should be something he can clean up. The only interception he has is one that bounced off of Fournette into the air. Jags fans have to be happy about him. 

I think it's basically over at this point.  Foles isn't getting the job back.  Minshew is the new face of the Jaguars. 

JetMaxx said:
That noodle arm. Love the feel for the game but the comp is Ty Detmer.
His arm is stronger than a lot of star QBs who don't apparently have noodle arms according to what Ourlads has for his combine ball velocity. 

He was slightly above average for arm strength measured by ball velocity. 

His arm is stronger than a lot of star QBs who don't apparently have noodle arms according to what Ourlads has for his combine ball velocity. 

He was slightly above average for arm strength measured by ball velocity. 
He couldn’t reach the end zone from the 40 on a roll out to his right. It’s a noodle. 

Ok I’ll concede that the comp is Brett Favre with Chad Pennington’s noodle. GL projecting that.

Minshew is way better than Bridgewater. The Saints have won in spite of him, not because of him. 
Bridgewater had a very good game on Sunday versus Tampa Bay. He's no Brees but he was a Pro Bowler 4 years ago. He seems to be a good fit in the TB offense. Let's see how he does this Sunday in Jacksonville. 

He couldn’t reach the end zone from the 40 on a roll out to his right. It’s a noodle. 
He doesn't have great arm strength. That throw from the forty was at the end of a looooooong scramble in the pocket. And did I say it was loooooooong? Only the elite of the elite could have even made that throw. Most would have already have been sacked.

Chad Pennington had 3/4 of this guy's arm strength. The comparison is inapt. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't have a howitzer, but he throws a very catchable ball. He has nice touch and is able to vary speeds situationally. I think losing O'Shaughnessy will hurt. He had a nice thing going with him. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27801045/florida-man-20-genius-tendencies-jacksonville-jaguars-qb-gardner-minshew

Minshew plays fantasy football....and he's on the ww in his own league. lol.

Minshew doesn't have a good explanation for his mental acuity; football plays, and football players, just unspool in his mind. It happens in fantasy sports too: Tre Polk, who is one of Minshew's closest friends from Brandon, says Minshew stunned their dynasty league this past summer when he opted to redraft nearly his entire team (which is named Trust the Process) and start from scratch.

"It was ridiculous," Polk says. "He must have known something about Melvin Gordon, and he worked out with Josh Jacobs and liked what he saw so he took him, and he took the Patriots defense, and he grabbed Austin Ekeler ..." Polk goes on for a few minutes like this before putting on the bow. "Bottom line: He redrafted, like, his whole team, and he's tied for first place. He just sees the game in a different way."

I ask the obvious follow-up: Who is Minshew's quarterback?

"That's the thing," Polk says. "I keep waiting for him to pick himself up, but no one took him. Gardner Minshew is available in Gardner Minshew's fantasy league."

Polk laughs. "Gardner actually took Kyler Murray."

Minshew's arm strength is below par, but he's obviously got some things going for him.

I'm not convinced Shew has won the job. It depends on what he does before Foles comes off IR.

Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook: What Happened to NFL Draft Pick Value?

Excerpt:

What's the trade value of Gardner Minshew II, should the Jacksonville Jaguars want to replace the rookie quarterback with veteran Nick Foleswhen he returns from injury?

"Why would they do that?" is how a former general manager responded when asked. When pushed to play along, he replied, "if you're going to trade someone, you'd trade Foles. Even though his contract is bigger, he's proven and you know what the return is, so there's value in that. If Teddy Bridgewater is being traded for a second-rounder, Foles would get at least that back."

Said a current director of pro scouting: "With Gardner, we really need to see more. Is he Matt Cassel or is he Garoppolo? I think he's the latter, but only time and reps will tell that story."

So predictable that NFL talking head types would favour Foles for his veteran experience. These are probably the same guys who thought Foles' SB win was a fluke and just a 'system' thing. I'm a Foles guy and I understand the contract issue, but it would seem silly to me to go back to him now. A month ago no one would have said Foles should start when he comes back. That should change after a couple of average (but not disastrous) starts? I don't think Foles is so much better than Minshew at this point that his return should move the needle. 

People are starting to speculate that Foles will get the starting job back when he returns because the Jags were quick to announce he was coming back.  To me, bringing back Foles as the starter is basically not possible at this point. 

Minshew has done well enough that they can't remove him from the starting job without incurring a no-win situation.  He's lost to the Texans, Panthers, and Saints who have a combined record of 16-7, and they are 1.5 games out of first place and 1 game out of the wild card.

If he beats the Texans next week, it will be almost impossible to make the switch.  Even if he doesn't win, bringing back Foles is a no-win situation. Unless Foles wins the super bowl it will be "what it" all day long.

If the Jags are in contention, Minshew got them there and you don't bench the successful QB of a contending team for anything but a clear, clear upgrade.  Imagine the 2nd guessing of removing Minshew from the role.

If the Jags fall out of contention by the time Foles is ready, why would you go to Foles?  Don't you want to see what you have in Minshew if the season is already lost?

Looking ahead to their schedule - this should be a 10 win team at the end of the season.

People are starting to speculate that Foles will get the starting job back when he returns because the Jags were quick to announce he was coming back.  To me, bringing back Foles as the starter is basically not possible at this point. 

Minshew has done well enough that they can't remove him from the starting job without incurring a no-win situation.  He's lost to the Texans, Panthers, and Saints who have a combined record of 16-7, and they are 1.5 games out of first place and 1 game out of the wild card.

If he beats the Texans next week, it will be almost impossible to make the switch.  Even if he doesn't win, bringing back Foles is a no-win situation. Unless Foles wins the super bowl it will be "what it" all day long.

If the Jags are in contention, Minshew got them there and you don't bench the successful QB of a contending team for anything but a clear, clear upgrade.  Imagine the 2nd guessing of removing Minshew from the role.

If the Jags fall out of contention by the time Foles is ready, why would you go to Foles?  Don't you want to see what you have in Minshew if the season is already lost?
I don't know. I'm a huge Minshew fan and do think he's the future for the Jags, but I think the decision to start Foles will be based on the money they paid him and his cred for being Super Bowl MVP. Minshew might be the future but Doug Marrone probably won't be around to see it so why not go with the vet. Probably a dumb move for the the development of Minshew, but coaches on the hot seat don't think long term. The only way I see Minshew sticking if Foles is healthy is that Kahn makes the decision.

I don't know. I'm a huge Minshew fan and do think he's the future for the Jags, but I think the decision to start Foles will be based on the money they paid him and his cred for being Super Bowl MVP. Minshew might be the future but Doug Marrone probably won't be around to see it so why not go with the vet. Probably a dumb move for the the development of Minshew, but coaches on the hot seat don't think long term. The only way I see Minshew sticking if Foles is healthy is that Kahn makes the decision.
If Marrone is on the hot seat, the best way to get fired is to bench Minshew.

Imagine how fast the fans demand blood when the coach benches their exciting rookie QB.  Any game Foles loses will be a Minshew would have won game.  Better win the super bowl if you go to Foles, otherwise Minshew would have won the super bowl.

I'm also a huge Minshew fan and have him on my dynasty team, but I think the only way he staves off Foles this year is if he wins against HOU.  If that doesn't happen I think it is on Foles to win, if he doesn't then look for the team to deal him or cut him (depending on guarantied) money in the off season.

kittenmittens said:
If Marrone is on the hot seat, the best way to get fired is to bench Minshew.

Imagine how fast the fans demand blood when the coach benches their exciting rookie QB.  Any game Foles loses will be a Minshew would have won game.  Better win the super bowl if you go to Foles, otherwise Minshew would have won the super bowl.
There may be something to this. Minshew seems to huge fan favorite. I actually can't think of another Jaguars player in recent memory to make a splash with the fans like he has. 

Marrone really is in a no-win situation here. If he goes back to Foles & they don't make the playoffs, it looks really bad.

Playing it by ear is probably the best solution. Meaning, go with Minshew until there's a game or situation (in-game) where it makes sense to make the change.

The bottom line is you can't let fans dictate things. Maybe trade Foles in the offseason if Minshew looks the part.

Marrone really is in a no-win situation here. If he goes back to Foles & they don't make the playoffs, it looks really bad.

Playing it by ear is probably the best solution. Meaning, go with Minshew until there's a game or situation (in-game) where it makes sense to make the change.

The bottom line is you can't let fans dictate things. Maybe trade Foles in the offseason if Minshew looks the part.
It kind of is a no win situation. I'd personally go back to Foles, he looked really good before he got hurt(in very limited work) and they thought enough of him to sign him to a relatively big contract. 

Minshew has been good, exceptional for a 6th round rookie, but I feel like Foles would be having even more success, and Minshew's youth isn't a huge factor, because you can always go back to him. Jaguars have a nice schedule coming up, and in my opinion could still very much win this division, so I'd play whomever I thought was the better player right now, and not be concerned about optics.

I like Foles a lot and think he is still very underrated but I'm not sure why anyone would assume that he'd play at a higher level or give the team a better chance to win than Minshew. If Foles is actually better than Minshew at this point, the difference would be marginal. I agree that they will probably go back to Foles (unless the Jags win this week) because this is the NFL, but I think it would be the wrong decision.

Users who are viewing this thread