What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (6 Viewers)

not sure of the rangers move.  Righty d man when they have trouba and fox and d’angelo.  i assume this means they move on from d’angelo.  rangers have a solid core of dmen, but they lack grit.  still, if he is a 3rd pair dman, i’m not a fan of this pick when they need a C2 badly.

@charlieo_conn: Think it's pretty cool that the Flyers finally went out and drafted a guy with sniper potential in Round 1. It was a stylistic need ignored for far too long. Is he the right guy? We'll see! I certainly haven't watched him yet. But I'm cool with the thinking behind it.

@TomGazzola: Ken Holland says he does not expect to extend qualifying offers to Andreas Athanasiou and Matt Benning.

@TomGazzola: Ken Holland says he does not expect to extend qualifying offers to Andreas Athanasiou and Matt Benning.
Have to wonder if it's covid money crunch or something dressing room/off ice with AA. He's one year removed from a 30 goal season and only 26 years old.
Edmonton traded two second round picks and Sam Gagner to Detroit for AA. Wings also re-signed Gagner for next season...

Wiesblatt/Neighbours story is very cool.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/ozzy-wiesblatts-nhl-path-paved-family-struggles-sacrifice-meet-future/

That's Wiesblatt (31st overall), his mom is deaf and the family speaks only in sign language in the house. 

Jake Neighbors (26th overall) his friend from Calgary learned sign language so he wouldn't disrupt the dynamic in the house.

Story on Neighbors here (Athletic, so $1/month subscription required...) https://theathletic.com/1798476/2020/10/06/beyond-his-years-jake-neighbours-shines-as-on-ice-force-off-ice-friend/

I need someone to post the Sportsnet reaction. Sounded like it was priceless.
https://twitter.com/NHL_Watcher/status/1313654567868010503?s=09
I'd like to say because he hopefully doesn't get much airtime in the States, Sam Cosentino who they go to first there is a total hack. I know way more about Canadian junior hockey than he does and there are hundreds, probably thousands who know a lot more than me. Every time they publish an article with his name on it, it's the most generic pulled from the stat line thing I've ever seen. /endrant

Edit - a quick search shows I said this last year too :lol:  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/776586-2019-nhl-offseason-thread-evander-gets-lightweight-suspension/?do=findComment&comment=21974162

Last edited by a moderator:
Ottawa has FOUR second round picks.  Montreal has three.  Several teams (SJ, DET, CAR,LAK, NSH)  have two. Interesting to see if we have more active trading early today and maybe even pick for player/rights.

@DarrenDreger: The Winnipeg Jets have agreed to terms on a 4 year, $12 million dollar contract with Dman, Dylan DeMelo.  $3 million aav.

JaxBill said:
Ottawa has FOUR second round picks.  Montreal has three.  Several teams (SJ, DET, CAR,LAK, NSH)  have two. Interesting to see if we have more active trading early today and maybe even pick for player/rights.
Ottawa should be really good in a few years unless Melnyk f's it all up.  

i’ve read reports that teams believe this to be a weak draft, making those later round picks less valuable (3rd and beyond).

@SWhyno: We have another trade to announce: Predators send Nick Bonino, 37 and 70 to Wild for Luke Kunin and 101.
damn.  addressing needs but I thought Kunin was a good option to transition full time to center and I like him as a player.  I don't like the move since it's very likely one they lose in the long run unless they hit on a pick.  would have much rather seen a similar deal with Greenway moved.

ouch. that's gonna leave a mark.

@TheFourthPeriod: The Predators have placed C Kyle Turris on unconditional waivers for the purpose of buying him out.

@CapFriendly: With 4 years remaining on Kyle Turris' contract, his buyout will last 8 years. 

The buyout cap hit applied against the Nashville #Predators is $2M for each of the 8 years, that is a $4M cap hit savings for 4 years remaining on the contract

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/kyle-turris#results https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1313873389183000576/photo/1

Northern Voice said:
I'd like to say because he hopefully doesn't get much airtime in the States, Sam Cosentino who they go to first there is a total hack. I know way more about Canadian junior hockey than he does and there are hundreds, probably thousands who know a lot more than me. Every time they publish an article with his name on it, it's the most generic pulled from the stat line thing I've ever seen. /endrant
NHLN showing TSN feed so I'm watching Cosentino.

Good Lord, I feel like Frank Caliendo is doing an impression of himself. 

Sens trade up for Tyler "Be Home By" Kleven

@Zeisberger: #sens at No. 44 take D Tyler Kleven from @USAHockeyNTDP. Big, tough, great compliment to No. 5 overall pick D Jake Sanderson, smooth skating puck mover.  Ottawa continuing to kill it during these first two days.

So the Penguins, who gave up their first to get Kapanen back,  trade Matt Murray  for a 2nd rounder. They use the 2nd rounder on a goalie. Okay, maybe they need to replenish system and he had decent scouting reports. Then they use their 3rd rounder on...another goalie.

So they use their best trade chip and walk out of the third round in reportedly one of the deepest drafts with zero skaters.

2024 Draft.

Rangers trade Alexis Lafreniere to Senators for a 2024 5th Round pick.
They better not trade him to the Kings. That would be an announcers nightmare 

83. Los Angeles Kings (from CBJ via OTT via TOR) – Alex Laferriere, RW, Des Moines, USHL

So far today, the Flyers have drafted guys with first names of Emil and Zayde. 

Makes me yearn for the days of traditional hockey names like Zarley.

Surprised they didn't add to their stockpile of Travises (Travi??).

So far today, the Flyers have drafted guys with first names of Emil and Zayde. 

Makes me yearn for the days of traditional hockey names like Zarley.

Surprised they didn't add to their stockpile of Travises (Travi??).
And an Elliot. Zayde Wisdom and the Elliot Desnoyers should do a mean version of "Bad to the Bone"

@BroadStHockey: *taps mic* we're back again. The Flyers have traded up to pick 135, and have selected Elliot Desnoyers.

So the Penguins, who gave up their first to get Kapanen back,  trade Matt Murray  for a 2nd rounder. They use the 2nd rounder on a goalie. Okay, maybe they need to replenish system and he had decent scouting reports. Then they use their 3rd rounder on...another goalie.

So they use their best trade chip and walk out of the third round in reportedly one of the deepest drafts with zero skaters.
I think Kapanen is a skater.

Users who are viewing this thread