What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (2 Viewers)

It's likely a hit to CEH value, but CEH wasn't getting goalline TDs anyway, so not a huge drop off there.
 But did people draft him in redraft at 1.05 or 1.01 in rookie drafts for a between the 10s and RB2 production (rb20)?

Last edited by a moderator:
 But did people draft him in redraft at 1.05 or 1.01 in rookie drafts for a between the 10s and RB2 production? 
No. I will admit I thought he'd show a bit more power based on how he looked at LSU but otherwise I've still been impressed by him. I would have liked to have seen more usage in the passing game, and Bell could now surely cut into that.

I took him at 1.01 in a dynasty rookie draft and the only other player I would consider over him now still is Ceedee Lamb. Like I said this hurts his value this year for sure, but I don't think it buries him by any means. I actually see the RB pie volume increasing based on the way defenses have been playing the Chiefs - that's not to say CEH's role increases of course, Bell will pick up that slack,

No. I will admit I thought he'd show a bit more power based on how he looked at LSU but otherwise I've still been impressed by him. I would have liked to have seen more usage in the passing game, and Bell could now surely cut into that.

I took him at 1.01 in a dynasty rookie draft and the only other player I would consider over him now still is Ceedee Lamb. Like I said this hurts his value this year for sure, but I don't think it buries him by any means. I actually see the RB pie volume increasing based on the way defenses have been playing the Chiefs - that's not to say CEH's role increases of course, Bell will pick up that slack,
I agree Lamb is probably 1.01 in a draft today

CEH has had some nice moments but he’s largely disappointed on delivering on his hype- especially the Westbrook comp. Bell is a 1 year hurdle for CEH, but I guess if I had any shares I’d be pessimistic that they wouldn’t do the same to him next year, or draft another RB. They made this move/felt they needed to make this move following 5 games of CEH as a bell cow- that is the most alarming to me. Maybe Bell is going to come in and serve as mostly a COP back, but seems like the other way around, at least on the surface. 

CEH has had some nice moments but he’s largely disappointed on delivering on his hype- especially the Westbrook comp. Bell is a 1 year hurdle for CEH, but I guess if I had any shares I’d be pessimistic that they wouldn’t do the same to him next year, or draft another RB. They made this move/felt they needed to make this move following 5 games of CEH as a bell cow- that is the most alarming to me. Maybe Bell is going to come in and serve as mostly a COP back, but seems like the other way around, at least on the surface. 
That's all just your spin on it though since it confirms your bias* about CEH from the beginning.

Bell all of a sudden became available and good teams like to add talent when they can. This does not have to be a reflection on what they think of CEH - who has performed well. I expected this to be a two back system from the beginning - anyone remember that Damien Williams was there? Bell replaces now Damien Williams because Darrell Williams has actually looked horrible thus far. I'll fully admit that if Bell has any juice left he can end up being the larger part of the committee but right now that's unknown.

* and by bias I only mean you were down on him as a  prospect and you're looking for confirmation of that, nothing more than that - although your incessant jabs (i.e. throwing Wesbrook back in people's faces is a bit childish).

I still, despite what I think and what I see out of CEH, would exercise restraint before getting all drastic. There are no pianos falling out of windows, unless they're falling onto Le'Veon's back, given the way he looked with the Jets. Perhaps that's endemic to the Jets, though. We just don't know yet.

Exactly.  It's so obvious. 

I don't think anyone really knows what's going to happen.  Bell can get anywhere from 10-75% of the touches.  I'm a big believer in 'the truth always lies in the middle' of people's extreme opinions.

My total impartial opinion is that after a few weeks, he'll be anywhere from 35-55% of the touches.

We know what Bell was on a good team......then he toiled away on a horrible jets team......and now he has a legit opportunity on the defending SB champion.......that's the kind of thing that can really motivate a guy.

The only real question is how much he has left in the tank.  We know most RB's don't age well.

We are all speculating here, but I find it hard to believe that Bell won't have a very meaningful roll in KC as soon as he's up to speed.....I'd bet he will be moved around like they did in Pittsburgh......why wouldn't they utilize his pass catching capability?  Maybe we do see plenty of sets with him lined at receiver and CEH in the backfield.....Reid is a genius at pressuring D's with his weapons.

That's all just your spin on it though since it confirms your bias* about CEH from the beginning.

Bell all of a sudden became available and good teams like to add talent when they can. This does not have to be a reflection on what they think of CEH - who has performed well. I expected this to be a two back system from the beginning - anyone remember that Damien Williams was there? Bell replaces now Damien Williams because Darrell Williams has actually looked horrible thus far. I'll fully admit that if Bell has any juice left he can end up being the larger part of the committee but right now that's unknown.

* and by bias I only mean you were down on him as a  prospect and you're looking for confirmation of that, nothing more than that - although your incessant jabs (i.e. throwing Wesbrook back in people's faces is a bit childish).
Not intending for Westbrook mention to be a jab. It was one of the reasons his hype was inflated though. Go back and read those who defended the hype. It was one of the first things they went to along with his draft capital when many others were expressing caution from drafting an unproven rookie rb at 1.05. Also the fact that the RB for Reid has had x number of RB1 finishes in however many years. He hasn’t looked like Westbrook at all. That’s a disappointment 

I find it interesting that the narrative seems to be as you’ve said above, “well Damien Williams was there when they drafted CEH so it’s not a complete lack of confidence that they got Bell.” Sure, but I remember people saying “well Williams has only had a career best of x carries and x yards, he’s not an obstacle at all for CEH” or “they didn’t spend a 1st round draft choice on CEH for him to sit behind that bum.” So which is it? Did they intend a RBBC from the beginning (which I would say yes) or was he drafted to be a bell cow and now they went and got Bell after seeing him in that role for 5 weeks? 

I think it’s quite obvious what’s going on and what their intent with CEH was when they drafted him, and it was largely ignored back in the summer. 

This is a bit of good news/bad news for CEH, I think.

The #2 rusher on his team is Mahomes with 129 yards. Then it's Tyreek with 49. The #2 running back (Williams) has 35 yards. 

Glass half full view is that this helps keep CEH fresher for the whole year as the #2 back wasn't offering much as a #2.

And Cleveland has proven that two guys can coexist although the two offenses are admittedly drastically different.

Not intending for Westbrook mention to be a jab.
Come on. I've seen multiple posts from you saying "but but Westbrook" - that's trolling and childish.

Anyway I'm not going to make it a big deal and wont mention it again - I just pointed it out.

I find it interesting that the narrative seems to be as you’ve said above, “well Damien Williams was there when they drafted CEH so it’s not a complete lack of confidence that they got Bell.” Sure, but I remember people saying “well Williams has only had a career best of x carries and x yards, he’s not an obstacle at all for CEH” or “they didn’t spend a 1st round draft choice on CEH for him to sit behind that bum.” So which is it? Did they intend a RBBC from the beginning (which I would say yes) or was he drafted to be a bell cow and now they went and got Bell after seeing him in that role for 5 weeks? 
I didn't think Williams would be a tremendous obstacle for CEH to overcome to see the majority of work but he was going to be part of the backfield equation if he didn't opt out. They tried to make the other Williams part of the equation but he looked liked he was running in mud on every screen pass he caught. Bell is (potentially)  a huge upgrade over Derrick Williams so that creates the possibility CEH's workload decreases now.

I do think it's pretty obvious however that when a (well run) team spends a first round pick on a player they intend to make him a big part of the team. Are you disagreeing with that? - because that would be an odd stance.

I didn't think Williams would be a tremendous obstacle for CEH to overcome to see the majority of work but he was going to be part of the backfield equation if he didn't opt out. They tried to make the other Williams part of the equation but he looked liked he was running in mud on every screen pass he caught. Bell is (potentially)  a huge upgrade over Derrick Williams so that creates the possibility CEH's workload decreases now.

I do think it's pretty obvious however that when a (well run) team spends a first round pick on a player they intend to make him a big part of the team. Are you disagreeing with that? - because that would be an odd stance.
No I don’t disagree with that, however CEHs profile suggested he would not be a bell cow. In fact, his profile would be an outlier if he were. I think we have and are now seeing why that is. And I think KC realizes it too. Sure, it also has a lot to do with the failure of the other RBs to not pick up CEH’s slack too; this isn’t all on CEH, but it’s not great for him either to get a guy who can and has done it all

Bell basically fell into their lap for free this year - that's not at all comparable to using draft capital next year on an RB or using cap space to sign an RB next year.

I also think the analysis that "they must have promised him starter level touches" makes no sense.  If I were the coach I would never promise that to him.  All I would promise him is "I will give you a fair shake.  I won't hold you past with the Jests against you, nor will I hold your Steelers past for or against you.  If you do good here you will play.  If you don't you won't."

Anybody with any kind of ego (pretty much anybody that is on an NFL roster) would say "Of course I'll be great and get all the work so even though you didn't say it, what I heard was you'll give me the Moon and the Stars just for showing up.  Because I am just that good."

I don't think anyone really knows what's going to happen.  Bell can get anywhere from 10-75% of the touches.  I'm a big believer in 'the truth always lies in the middle' of people's extreme opinions.

My total impartial opinion is that after a few weeks, he'll be anywhere from 35-55% of the touches.

This is how I see it, too. And I have CEH in a dynasty league.

If I were a CEH owner this would be the most unexpected kick to the nuts ever. Blindsided and not due to injury. 
This. This right here. CEH has looked the part in the 3 games I've watched. He's struggled at the goal line but it has looked to me like small sample size/happened to run into D's slanting the right ways/few missed blocks/etc. Then a couple of games the game script went the wrong way. But overall felt like he was doing the right stuff, Andy Reid would figure out better ways to unlock him, and he was going to finish a top 5 guy.

Now who the hell knows. 

I'm leading scorer in one league and #2 in my other one, but 2 games out of first in both and had CEH in both of them (and Dak in one).  KITN sums it up nicely.

Fantasy Football Week 6 Bold Predictions: All systems go for Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Excerpt:

CEH will be Week 6’s RB1 overall

Matt Harmon: Clyde Edwards-Helaire has handled over 80 percent of the Chiefs backfield touches and has run 21 routes per game. That’s the sixth-most of any running back in 2020. The rookie is a clear-cut workhorse. No doubt about it. It’s only a matter of time before he has another eruption game. This sets up as a perfect spot. The Bills rank 31st in rushing success rate allowed and sport a defense that is painfully disappointing. This game has the highest projected point total of the week, so if a back and forth scoring affair ensues...CEH should have his chances at finding the end zone once again. If you’ve been disappointed you “reached for a rookie” in Round 1, you won’t be come Tuesday morning.

This isn't really a surprise to me, which is why I took JT over CEH in drafts this year. A smaller back with limited depth behind him was always likely to have an FA or rookie drafted next year to split carries or fill the short-yardage role. Did anyone really think he'd be a long-term bell-cow back?
I don't know, based on how Taylor has played so far, I think he'd be a backup right now if Marlon Mack hadn't gotten hurt. 

The correct answer was probably to go Lamb at #1.

I think Pass Blocking might be the decider on who gets more work.  At least according to PFF, CEH has been the 4th worst RB in the league at pass blocking - even among guys with only a handful of snaps.  But Bell hasn't been dynamite either - still well below league average, while both Gore and Perine were at least average if not better.  In Bell's case could just be lack of effort - no doubt he tuned out Gase a long time ago.  CEH should get better with experience, but that may take some time - not likely to get dramatically better in the next week or two.

Pass blocking (PB) grades listed below
Chiefs RBs
Darrel Williams - PFF Grade 21.0 on 13 PB snaps
Clyde Edwards-Helaire - PFF Grade 17.1 on 8 PB snaps
Darwin Thompson - No PFF Pass Blocking Grade on 0 PB snaps

Jets RBs
Frank Gore - PFF Grade 76.2 on 14 PB snaps
La'Mical Perine - PFF Grade 77.6 on 4 PB snaps
Le'Veon Bell - PFF Grade 33.4 on 13 PB snaps

You're right.  We don't know what's going to happen.  I admit, I'm a CEH owner.  I have one share in my main $$ league.   While it's easy to see his value takes a hit, I see no reason to panic.  I'm very lucky to have the depth I do in that league.  We only start 1 RB and 1 WR with 3 flex.  My team is very stacked.  The point of my post was others already anointing Bell as the RB who will receive the majority of carries.   He hasn't been relevant in over 3 years.  He's been on my no draft list since joining the Jets.  Had he started the season with KC, I probably wouldn't have targeted him or CEH.  I don't know what's going to happen, but I'm comfortable sliding Mostert or AJ Brown into CEH's spot in my lineup after this week.  You're not going to win in FF with just 1 player.

I've been riding CEH's nuts hard from day one and while I don't like this I'm going to wait for bell to get up to speed in the offense before I make any changes to how I feel about CEH's upside here.  As I've said and as other people have, two more tds and CEH is a rb1, and anyone who watched Westbrook in Philly (jab jab) knows Reid can get infatuated with the pass at the expense of common sense so the chiefs game plan doesn't concern me.

Let's see what bells still got in the tank now that Gase isn't holding down the emergency brake.

If I were a CEH owner this would be the most unexpected kick to the nuts ever. Blindsided and not due to injury. 
Double kick to the nuts here. I'm a current CEH owner and former Bell owner when he held out all of 2018.

This morning I changed my team name to F#@* LeVeon Bell

FOX's Jay Glazer reports the Chiefs signed Le'Veon Bell to "take some of the pounding" off Clyde Edwards-Helaire. 

Via coach Andy Reid, Glazer reports Bell has been added to "take just some of the reps but not become their starter." In Glazer/Reid's colorful language, Reid does not want Bell to "take the plays of my little guy." This all adds up, as CEH has been flashing promise in the change-of-pace elements of the NFL ground game while looking not quite ready on early downs, especially near the rugged interiors of the goal line. Despite the proclamations that Bell will be a change-up/breather back, the role described for him could still easily lead the team in touches some weeks. It will be a touch-and-go situation that fantasy managers have to take as it comes. CEH will be somewhere in the RB20-28 range for Week 7, with Bell checking in around the low 30s. 

RELATED: 

Le'Veon Bell

SOURCE: Jay Glazer on Twitter 

Oct 19, 2020, 5:44 PM ET

He’s getting close. Maybe by week 9 he gets one to stick. J/k, I actually think Reid forces one for him tonight.
In all seriousness he has not shown well at the goal-line, although this “TD” was from the four. Especially now with Bell I don’t expect him to score many TDs this season but some are coming as he’s getting close and looked more like he did in Week 1 so far tonight. I’m especially rooting for him - I have him on one team - just to see the “little guy” succeed. I still feel good that he will.

CEH showed well , but also showed a little reason why Reid/EB might still lean on Bell in the crunch. Fumble that got nullified by his knee being down. Not staying in bounds on the screen catch. Little things that don't show on box score but are noticeable. Good news is they kept with him after the non-fumble. He's definitely not a pile mover and this game did nothing to show otherwise. When it's obvious running situations he's a little over matched. But overall a nice game. Will be very interested in how the share is next week. 

I'm almost embarrassed to say so but...I'd like to sell high, I think.
Wouldn't blame you. His value is still up in the air. You could point to this game but until we have a game with Bell active to see the split, most owners will be reluctant I'd imagine. 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire rushed 26 times for 161 yards in the Chiefs' Week 6 win against the Bills, adding eight yards on four catches.

The Chiefs offense lined opened up wide running lanes for Edwards-Helaire and he made the most of them throughout the night. He had five carries go for 10 or more yards including a 31-yard scamper in the 1st quarter that set the tone for the night. He found the end zone once but the play was negated by a penalty. Darrel Williams logged the only rushing touchdown for Kansas City. Edwards-Helaire broke tackles at will and set career marks for carries and yards. Le'Veon Bell is set to join the team this week but Edwards-Helaire's performance made have earned him a larger split over Bell. Fantasy managers should keep starting Edwards-Helaire even once Bell enters the picture. He projects as a low-end RB1 going forward.

- Rotoworld

I'm almost embarrassed to say so but...I'd like to sell high, I think.
As long as you were comfortable with the return. I surely think he loses value this season, but maybe not significantly, and not being overworked his rookie season may help next year.
Bell could also be asked back next year if he fits in well so there’s risk with CEH. I’m gambling on the rewards.

CEH showed well , but also showed a little reason why Reid/EB might still lean on Bell in the crunch. Fumble that got nullified by his knee being down. Not staying in bounds on the screen catch. Little things that don't show on box score but are noticeable. Good news is they kept with him after the non-fumble. He's definitely not a pile mover and this game did nothing to show otherwise. When it's obvious running situations he's a little over matched. But overall a nice game. Will be very interested in how the share is next week. 
Gonna be a wierd day when guys start getting punished for non-fumbles.  Knee was clearly down.  What a nothing burger.  

He should have stayed in bounds for sure.  Rookie

Hehe. Considering they ran nearly every play, and he carried 26 times, you think the Bills might have started to expect the run?  🙂

Just amazing how nearly every run tonight was a good positive gain. Slipped through first tackles, carried tacklers with him, and was just so tough to bring down. Impressive. 

An advantage of these low to the ground runners is that they have less time to have the ball stripped. Thus no fumble tonight despite the constant strip attempts. 

Looking forward to watching him and Bell together. I bet Mahomes is licking his choos! 

I do not have a dog in this fight but I think the reaction of Bell coming in to get a 50% + share of RB touches are going to be disappointed. 
Ding ding ding

Those thinking Bell comes in and takes a lot of Clyde’s work are delusional. Bell moves into the Pollard/Mattison handcuff range is all. 

Gonna be a wierd day when guys start getting punished for non-fumbles.  Knee was clearly down.  What a nothing burger.  

He should have stayed in bounds for sure.  Rookie
Just saying he got loose with the ball knee down or not. I wouldn't punish him for it, but nfl coaches are weird sometimes about ball security.

Hehe. Considering they ran nearly every play, and he carried 26 times, you think the Bills might have started to expect the run?  🙂

Just amazing how nearly every run tonight was a good positive gain. Slipped through first tackles, carried tacklers with him, and was just so tough to bring down. Impressive. 

An advantage of these low to the ground runners is that they have less time to have the ball stripped. Thus no fumble tonight despite the constant strip attempts. 

Looking forward to watching him and Bell together. I bet Mahomes is licking his choos! 
I was impressed too. My comment was more along the lines of during the clock killing drive. Since Bills had no threat of pass the running game was at a disadvantage. No one would have succeeded in that scenario more than likely, but it is what it is. 

I thought the penalty taking his TD away was pretty weak too. That's back to back weeks he's lost a TD. 

Users who are viewing this thread