What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (3 Viewers)

So he is consensus 6 or 7 now....do we agree this is about right?  Too low?  Too high?
I don't do consensus and he isn't that high. He's behind Sanders for me, so I'm sure I won't have to worry about him. I'll think about it should I find myself in that spot. 

shadrap said:
Is there a clear cut backup to CEH & if so who???????????????????????????????????????

drafting tonight.
Darrell Williams if needed for a 1-2 down back. Washington would be much more likely to have the same role he had with the Raiders - 3rd down back, or long yardage back.

TripItUp said:
So he is consensus 6 or 7 now....do we agree this is about right?  Too low?  Too high?
I just looked at the AVERAGE rankings from 80 online draft "experts" from a bunch of websites, and he was #9, right after Cook, Jones and Adams, and right before Hill, Henry and Sanders (PPR).

Highest was #4 (so NOONE had him ahead of CMac, Saquon and Zeke, and remember, that's 80 ratings), lowest was # 71 (say "WHAT!!?"  wth?).

I-ROK said:
I won’t pay is current price in a startup but he’s probably around there, and it’s probably about right 
FFPC draft main event I'm in he went 4th or 5th.  I picked 8th.

He went 11 in start up Dynasty PPR 12 teams, one day ago, I witnessed him in second round multiply times (early 2nd 2.01-2.03 but second round). 

Chiefs GM Brett Veach said Clyde Edwards-Helaire is "on pace to have a big year, to be our primary ballcarrier."

NBC Sports' Peter King spent the week visiting Kansas City and came away very bullish on Edwards-Helaire's fantasy outlook saying, "Draft him in the first round of your fantasy draft. Believe me, you’ll thank me for that tip on the LSU rookie." He notes that the Chiefs have been scheming him touches during scrimmages and that the rookie "could not have been much more impressive in the two practices I saw." Many well-connected national media members have been dropping random CEH praise on Twitter and this report just piles onto that. The fantasy community has adjusted CEH from a third-round pick to a first-round pick following Damien Williams' decision to opt out, so if you're buying the hype, you'll likely have to spend a top-8 pick to draft Edwards-Helaire at this point. It goes without saying that his upside is enormous. The argument surrounds his floor.

SOURCE: NBC Sports

Aug 24, 2020, 2:09 AM ET

Jamaal Charles was a RBBC guy. He was just the most efficient RB ever. I think Reid is flexible and will use his RBs differently depending on the situation. CEH has a chance to earn a full on feature role but it's also not a guarantee. 

Can he handle a blitzing 240lb linebacker from the blind side?  If you’re Reid, are you gambling the health of your star qb?  
Wait.....I must have misread the post I was responding to. I thought you said "Reid is a rbbc coach".

Sorry my bad for interpreting that the wrong way when you really meant to ask if he could handle a blitzing 240 lb linebacker.

Wait.....I must have misread the post I was responding to. I thought you said "Reid is a rbbc coach".

Sorry my bad for interpreting that the wrong way when you really meant to ask if he could handle a blitzing 240 lb linebacker.
He is mainly so I’m thinking ceh will share time with others.  In addition, since no preseason rookies will be brought along slowly.  

Can he handle a blitzing 240lb linebacker from the blind side?  If you’re Reid, are you gambling the health of your star qb?  
Look farther up the thread...

@nightmare

- ""With NFL game pass I watched P Mahomes first 156 passing attempts(4 games) and 2 times the RB had to pick up a blitz.
Another 2 times the Rb ran into a defender that was in his path. When the ball is snapped the RB's all take off into routes
with no hesitation. They aren't looking to block and then run a route.  Anybody thinking CEH isn't getting playing time because
"rookies can't pass block" doesn't apply to this offense.

Those 2 pass blocks were the RB diving at the defender to slow him up for a half second, not a lot of technique involved with that.

Not at all - unless you're saying any back that gets spelled at all is in a RBBC. 

When he played at least 15 games, Charles averaged 234 carries and 66 targets per season.
I seem to remember during his peak that people with Charles on their team always complaining about a light workload. Maybe relative to his era where elite RBs got 300 carries? 

2010, his first year as a Pro Bowler he got less carries than Thomas Jones

2012, he got 320 of the RB touches, the other backs got 261. That is 55%. I don't know where we draw the line on what is a committee and what is a true feature back. 

2013, hot got 329 RB touches but dominated the backfield receiving 71% of the RB touches.

2014, down to 246 RB touches which represented 52%. 

I wonder if anyone has links to touch % for modern backfields, I am curious. 

Am I crazy for considering CEH with the 1.08 in a 0.5PPR redraft league?
Depends on your philosophy. I'm one of those "can't win in the first round but can certainly lose" types.

With no preseason the risk is even greater for someone who hasn't played an NFL down. I'd much rather grab one of the elite WR's then target RB's with warts but still low-end RB1 potential in Rds 2-4. 

Just traded down from 1.05 to 1.08 in a PPR redraft so I could grab CEH. Like him over Cook, Henry and anyone else after the  big 3. 

I have the first pick in my 4 man keeper and was offered Mahommes....I'm like damn....nice offer but probably not.  Hype machine in full motion.

I seem to remember during his peak that people with Charles on their team always complaining about a light workload. Maybe relative to his era where elite RBs got 300 carries? 

2010, his first year as a Pro Bowler he got less carries than Thomas Jones

2012, he got 320 of the RB touches, the other backs got 261. That is 55%. I don't know where we draw the line on what is a committee and what is a true feature back. 

2013, hot got 329 RB touches but dominated the backfield receiving 71% of the RB touches.

2014, down to 246 RB touches which represented 52%. 

I wonder if anyone has links to touch % for modern backfields, I am curious. 
Yeah so bottom line is that those numbers mean boxscore dominance for you if you have him in your lineup. 

The same conclusion should be drawn for CEH. He's going to be worth it from a usage point of view. Talent wise I guess we will see soon enough, but fear of a Kniles Davis/Spence Ware split is unfounded IMO. Unless he busts CEH is going to get the rock. 

Yeah so bottom line is that those numbers mean boxscore dominance for you if you have him in your lineup. 

The same conclusion should be drawn for CEH. He's going to be worth it from a usage point of view. Talent wise I guess we will see soon enough, but fear of a Kniles Davis/Spence Ware split is unfounded IMO. Unless he busts CEH is going to get the rock. 
Jamal Charles was just about the most explosive RB we have ever seen so it's a high bar for anyone to do what he did on the number of touches he received. I agree with your premise though, if CEH is anywhere near as good as the Chiefs suspected when they took in the 1st, he's going to be great for fantasy. My point was just that Andy Reid is malleable. He uses his RBs how he thinks it is optimal for that particular season and is not tied to any single approach. 

Jamal Charles was just about the most explosive RB we have ever seen so it's a high bar for anyone to do what he did on the number of touches he received. I agree with your premise though, if CEH is anywhere near as good as the Chiefs suspected when they took in the 1st, he's going to be great for fantasy. My point was just that Andy Reid is malleable. He uses his RBs how he thinks it is optimal for that particular season and is not tied to any single approach. 
Yeah no.

Ilov80s said:
Really? You think Andy Reid just has one approach to RBs and doesn't adjust??
No offense but I'm blown away that after the closing argument of "Kareem Hunt, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Brian Westbrook and Duce Staley" that this is still being discussed. 

No offense but I'm blown away that after the closing argument of "Kareem Hunt, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Brian Westbrook and Duce Staley" that this is still being discussed. 
All you have to do is look at the Jamal Charles seasonal use variance that I posted above to see Reid adjusting his backfield usage. 

All you have to do is look at the Jamal Charles seasonal use variance that I posted above to see Reid adjusting his backfield usage. 
That's where I jumped in from. It proves the point you're arguing against. The level of variance you're describing =/= the level of variance required to bench Charles. It shows him as the guy to start. By a lot.

That's where I jumped in from. It proves the point you're arguing against. The level of variance you're describing =/= the level of variance required to bench Charles. It shows him as the guy to start. By a lot.
He's not saying to bench Charles. At all. I think you guys might be misinterpreting the other person's argument. I see ilov as arguing that there might be a committee, but that the back might still be starter material, all depending on what he does with the volume. IOW, if Reid uses CEH like he did Charles, will what CEH does with that particular volume lead to satisfaction with a first-round redraft pick?

I don't think he was arguing that you couldn't necessarily start due to pure volume, nor was he arguing about starting at all, but rather, what one should do with their high redraft pick.

Perhaps I'm also butting in, but that's how I see it. Personally, I'm fading CEH at RB6 or RB7 value. I like Mixon and Sanders better, strictly based on situation alone.

No preseason prevents me from taking a guy like this at 1.9.  There are too many knowns around that slot where I don’t have to worry if he is going to fumble his way out of a 1A job, etc

My only point was that Reid is neither an RBBC coach or a workhorse coach. He's a coach who will use the players he has in the way that he thinks is best for the team. Maybe that means giving Charles 75% of the work, maybe it means 50% of the work another year. 

I want to jump on the hype train but his playing size is an issue for me for RB1 first round. I know the comparisons to Westbrook have been made, but even Westbrook was a bigger RB. MJD was listed at the same height/weight, but MJD could block and run a 4.39. 

This dude is pretty small and he's generously listed at 5'7", 210lbs. He looks even smaller than guys like MJD and Devonta Freeman on tape. I haven't read through the entire thread so maybe it's already been discussed.

I just really don't like burning first round picks on undersized players like this although you typically see them at WR. He can break a defenders ankle with pinball moves but is he going to break tackles at the NFL level and move a pile if you get a hand on him. He has almost no injury history other than hamstring issues, so on paper that part still looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread