What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 Post Season Subscriber Contest (2 Viewers)

The postseason contest always has an element of train wreck because the rules are a bit complicated.  But this year was on a different level.  The contest winner had 0 players from the opening weekend  :lol:

My best ever year but still had no chance because of the low numbers and no cut.  I finished 86th in the Super Bowl but was frozen out even though I had 9 players playing.  Still fun but it seems that you ought to have to have some players during Wild Card weekend to advance. 

Congrats to the winners......   I finished 41st  which was my best finish ever.  I even had a brain fart and took 4 eagles  and still did well... 

Ive got no sour grapes towards the winners because those are the same types of lineups that normally have no shot at anything that we usually take advantage of having no chance in these contests.  

My best ever year but still had no chance because of the low numbers and no cut.  I finished 86th in the Super Bowl but was frozen out even though I had 9 players playing.  Still fun but it seems that you ought to have to have some players during Wild Card weekend to advance. 
I thought I had a real shot at some cash with 13 players involved.  Of course no Damien Williams and too much McCoy and Mecole did me in...

ETA: Finished 28th

Last edited by a moderator:
No one, and I mean no one, could have predicted less than 4K entries.  Every single entry that chose no week 1 players either did not know the rules, or submitted their team as a joke.  Anyone coming in here bragging they took a chance is a liar.  I finished near 500th, and wouldn't have had a chance no matter what, so I'm not just whining here.
I will say that after reading the rules....I did actually take this into consideration....you can call me a liar if you want.....but I will say and this may sound bad to Joe and the boys...and I have no data to back it up.....but it seems like there are “less” people/subscribers around here nowadays.....the hay day of this site seems to have come and gone.....especially with their ultra conservative approach they have adopted lately and their “its OUR site and if you don’t like it you can leave” mentality.....and also the fact that this contest kind of fly’s under the radar.....I forget about it most of the time, and I can see how people after a long season don’t take the time to really post an entry....only 7 people were going to walk away with anything and most of it was pretty minimal.....so if you read the rules, swinging for the fences and loading up on the two teams you thought would make it was the ONLY way to go....IMO....

I will say that after reading the rules....I did actually take this into consideration....you can call me a liar if you want.....but I will say and this may sound bad to Joe and the boys...and I have no data to back it up.....but it seems like there are “less” people/subscribers around here nowadays.....the hay day of this site seems to have come and gone.....especially with their ultra conservative approach they have adopted lately and their “its OUR site and if you don’t like it you can leave” mentality.....and also the fact that this contest kind of fly’s under the radar.....I forget about it most of the time, and I can see how people after a long season don’t take the time to really post an entry....only 7 people were going to walk away with anything and most of it was pretty minimal.....so if you read the rules, swinging for the fences and loading up on the two teams you thought would make it was the ONLY way to go....IMO....
While I agree loading up on 2 teams is the way to go (I spent $174 on my 2 hopefuls), if both of those teams have a week 1 bye, a guaranteed goose egg in week 1 was only possible this year.  I also read the rules, Wildcard week: trim to 4,000 teams (all advance if we have fewer entries), and took this into consideration.  Then I checked how many entries there were in year's past, and noticed the number had risen each of the last 5 years, up to 6782 last year.

Just wondering, after you took this into consideration, did you opt to take a goose egg week 1, or did you at least roster a player or two (if your hopefuls both had byes)?

While I agree loading up on 2 teams is the way to go (I spent $174 on my 2 hopefuls), if both of those teams have a week 1 bye, a guaranteed goose egg in week 1 was only possible this year.  I also read the rules, Wildcard week: trim to 4,000 teams (all advance if we have fewer entries), and took this into consideration.  Then I checked how many entries there were in year's past, and noticed the number had risen each of the last 5 years, up to 6782 last year.

Just wondering, after you took this into consideration, did you opt to take a goose egg week 1, or did you at least roster a player or two (if your hopefuls both had byes)?

Patrick Mahomes          $36      0.00  51.35  44.00 
Damien Williams          $16      0.00  25.80  17.40 
Demarcus Robinson         $4      0.00   1.40   5.10 
Travis Kelce             $22      0.00  46.40   7.50 
Harrison Butker          $12      0.00   9.00   5.00 
Kansas City Chiefs       $10      0.00   7.00   3.00 

Jimmy Garoppolo          $25      0.00  11.55   3.75 
Raheem Mostert           $14      0.00   5.80  47.60 
Emmanuel Sanders         $14      0.00   5.30   0.00 
George Kittle            $21      0.00   6.10   3.40 
Robbie Gould              $8      0.00   9.50  16.60 
San Francisco 49ers      $12      0.00  10.00   9.00 

Willie Snead              $7      0.00  11.60   0.00 

Tyler Lockett            $18     10.20  28.60   0.00 

Aaron Jones              $23      0.00  19.10  22.80 
Allen Lazard              $8      0.00   0.50   6.60 

I did a quick entry....wasn’t sure what the best approach was....didn’t spend a ton of time on it.....hit submit and saw that it added up to exactly 250....meant to go back and change some things as I knew it wasn’t a good strategy with what I had picked....if I was going to pot commit to SF/KC I should go all in....but forgot to go back and change it....finished 23rd....should have been better had I spent the money I spent on those last 4 guys on other KC/SF....

I finished in 6th place and I wasted $53 on 2 Buffalo and 2 Philly players.  It shouldn't have been wasted money but only 3300 players signed up this year after 6700 last year.  The guy who won it got lucky if 4010 people joined he loses in 1st round with 0 pts.  I see lots of teams went with 2 players or less the 1st week and got lucky to stay in the hunt.   I also only spent about 5 minutes on this. For years I have spent 30+ minutes and always get knocked out by 2nd round so I didn't put much thought into this year much except I knew I wasn't going NO players since most would do that (sine that was the easy way out to get WC players and double up on them being in SB plus they were too high priced for being a #3 seed)

Basically, everyone that has a shot at money would be gone.  I will spend some time after all is over, hunting for the top teams that scored at least 50.
I scored 46 the first week was trying to get the minimum needed.  Who would thought it would drop from 6700 to 3300.  No way you could risk going 0 players but someone did got rewarded.  A few years ago there wasn't 4000 people I did that strategy but I got cut in 2nd round.  This year I made it past 2nd round (and so did winner) because Mahomes and Kelce went nuts.  I barely made cut 118 (105 cut).  Had they been good and not crazy great we get cut.

.Patrick Mahomes          $36      0.00  51.35  44.00 
Damien Williams          $16      0.00  25.80  17.40 
Demarcus Robinson         $4      0.00   1.40   5.10 
Travis Kelce             $22      0.00  46.40   7.50 
Harrison Butker          $12      0.00   9.00   5.00 
Kansas City Chiefs       $10      0.00   7.00   3.00 

Jimmy Garoppolo          $25      0.00  11.55   3.75 
Raheem Mostert           $14      0.00   5.80  47.60 
Emmanuel Sanders         $14      0.00   5.30   0.00 
George Kittle            $21      0.00   6.10   3.40 
Robbie Gould              $8      0.00   9.50  16.60 
San Francisco 49ers      $12      0.00  10.00   9.00 

Willie Snead              $7      0.00  11.60   0.00 

Tyler Lockett            $18     10.20  28.60   0.00 

Aaron Jones              $23      0.00  19.10  22.80 
Allen Lazard              $8      0.00   0.50   6.60 

I did a quick entry....wasn’t sure what the best approach was....didn’t spend a ton of time on it.....hit submit and saw that it added up to exactly 250....meant to go back and change some things as I knew it wasn’t a good strategy with what I had picked....if I was going to pot commit to SF/KC I should go all in....but forgot to go back and change it....finished 23rd....should have been better had I spent the money I spent on those last 4 guys on other KC/SF....
Looking at your team, I would not call you a liar.  At least you had Lockett for week 1.  He alone could've gotten you past week 1 with a great performance if there would've been a minimal cut.  Your entry doesn't qualify as one of the "should've never made it to week 2" ones.  Congrats on the finish.

I scored 46 the first week was trying to get the minimum needed.  Who would thought it would drop from 6700 to 3300.  No way you could risk going 0 players but someone did got rewarded.  A few years ago there wasn't 4000 people I did that strategy but I got cut in 2nd round.  This year I made it past 2nd round (and so did winner) because Mahomes and Kelce went nuts.  I barely made cut 118 (105 cut).  Had they been good and not crazy great we get cut.
Yup...the last time the playoffs started this early.  I laid it out earlier, but total entires has pretty closely followed the total of entries in the regular season contest and the date the playoffs start.  Next year the playoffs start late so entires will be back up.

I went back to 2009, and there has always been a week 1 cut.  The lowest was, ironically, what you scored this year (46).  This is the first year there has ever been less than 4K entries, and therefore, no week 1 cut for the first time.  There is no data I could find from 2008 or earlier, but I have to assume the week 1 cuts back then were even higher than they normally are.  Heck, in 2009 there were nearly 9K entries and a week 1 cut of 128!  The eventual winner spent $167 on his 2 hopeful teams, both of which had a bye (IND/NO).  The other $83 was spent on 10 players, all of whom played week 1.  He went as close to "all in" as he thought he could, and his entry is what FBG had in mind when they made this contest.  

BassNBrew said:
Yup...the last time the playoffs started this early.  I laid it out earlier, but total entires has pretty closely followed the total of entries in the regular season contest and the date the playoffs start.  Next year the playoffs start late so entires will be back up.
I am certainly listening to BNB here.  He is one of the only posters with a logical explanation for the drastic drop in entries.  Playoffs will start on Saturday, 9 Jan 2021 for the 2020 regular season, which is the latest possible date.  

2019 - 12583 regular season entries vs 3057 post season entries (24%) - 4 Jan was first WC game
2018 - 15080 regular season entries vs 6782 post season entries (45%) - 5 Jan was first WC game
2017 - 13484 regular season entries vs 6679 post season entries (50%) - 6 Jan was first WC game
2016 - 14869 regular season entries vs 6284 post season entries (42%) - 7 Jan was first WC game
2015 - 13634 regular season entries vs 5522 post season entries (41%) - 9 Jan was first WC game
2014 - 14270 regular season entries vs 4706 post season entries (33%) - 3 Jan was first WC game
2013 - 14393 regular season entries vs 4146 post season entries (29%) - 4 Jan was first WC game
2012 - 13293 regular season entries vs 5005 post season entries (38%) - 5 Jan was first WC game
2011 - 10753 regular season entries vs 5915 post season entries (55%) - 7 Jan was first WC game
2010 - 13038 regular season entries vs 6896 post season entries (53%) - 8 Jan was first WC game
2009 - 13250 regular season entries vs 8884 post season entries (67%) - 9 Jan was first WC game

As you see above, BNB's case holds water (had to throw in a My Cousin Vinny reference).  There are a few anomalies though.  Like why was 2015 only 41% with a 9 Jan start?  The percentage increased in the next 3 seasons, even when the start dates were earlier.  And why the 21% drop from last year, when the start date was only 1 day earlier?  Perhaps, as others have mentioned, the contest notifications were getting buried in the information overload.  The prizes haven't changed since 2009 for the post season contest, so this should not be a factor to consider.  $1K for the top dog, and $30 for places 7 thru 12.  If we use 12583 entries as a baseline for the upcoming regular season contest, and 41% for the playoff contest, the number of entries would be 5159.

I will surely be revisiting this thread before I submit my entry for next year.

No one, and I mean no one, could have predicted less than 4K entries.  Every single entry that chose no week 1 players either did not know the rules, or submitted their team as a joke.  Anyone coming in here bragging they took a chance is a liar.  I finished near 500th, and wouldn't have had a chance no matter what, so I'm not just whining here.
yes and no.

as one of those guys with zero week 1 players, and also as someone who didnt read/understand the rules....i absolutely did take a calculated gamble on zero people getting cut week 1 because that is what ive always seen in the regular season contest.

that it turned out to be an unfair advantage on my part...that was pure dumb luck. lol

Dope said:
yes and no.

as one of those guys with zero week 1 players, and also as someone who didnt read/understand the rules....i absolutely did take a calculated gamble on zero people getting cut week 1 because that is what ive always seen in the regular season contest.

that it turned out to be an unfair advantage on my part...that was pure dumb luck. lol
You based your gamble on the fact that the regular season contest has had multiple years of no cuts in week 1.  This was faulty, because there has always been a cut in the post season contest.  Had you known this fact, would you have still chosen zero week 1 players?  I'm happy for you, but you fall into the "didn't understand the rules" category.  This reminds me of a video clip I saw from the old TV show The Newlywed Game.  Please watch this.  You will get a laugh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQw4Vr74t7I

You based your gamble on the fact that the regular season contest has had multiple years of no cuts in week 1.  This was faulty, because there has always been a cut in the post season contest.  Had you known this fact, would you have still chosen zero week 1 players?  I'm happy for you, but you fall into the "didn't understand the rules" category.  This reminds me of a video clip I saw from the old TV show The Newlywed Game.  Please watch this.  You will get a laugh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQw4Vr74t7I
bwahahahahahahaha

ok fine lol

TheWinz said:
I went back to 2009, and there has always been a week 1 cut.  The lowest was, ironically, what you scored this year (46).  This is the first year there has ever been less than 4K entries, and therefore, no week 1 cut for the first time.  There is no data I could find from 2008 or earlier, but I have to assume the week 1 cuts back then were even higher than they normally are.  Heck, in 2009 there were nearly 9K entries and a week 1 cut of 128!  The eventual winner spent $167 on his 2 hopeful teams, both of which had a bye (IND/NO).  The other $83 was spent on 10 players, all of whom played week 1.  He went as close to "all in" as he thought he could, and his entry is what FBG had in mind when they made this contest.  
I could have sworn there was 1 other year that had less than 4,000 people but clearly I was wrong.  That makes it even more insane for someone to know they are taking a 0 the first week going all 2 teams players and yet they are the winner.

I would propose that the web development team put a placeholder link in the Contest Menu at the top. I actually did see the emails (at the time) describing the upcoming playoff subscriber contest, but when I looked at the Contest Menu dropdown there was no link to it until the morning it went active. If I recall correctly. I came very close to not playing in the contest at all because I finally assumed it was the same thing as the FBG playoff challenge since that was the only "playoff"  contest with a link, even after several emails about it. There should be a ghost link to the current year's playoff challenge that is always present, and which explains the rules and set-up but simply isn't live until it is ready. There has got to be a way to do that. That way, when somebody sees an ad in an email about it they might actually connect the dots in the site menu. And people playing in the regular season contests will see the link in the menu, and anybody else that happens to use the dropdown for any reason would see it. I had to send a specific email to support to inquire about whether the contest actually existed, but how many people are as curious as me?

If it helps you judge the time frame, I got my check from the regular season contest today. So plan for a couple of months. But they're certainly good for it. 
Agreed I got my 2020 free subscription last week, just takes time but they will get you sorted! 

So the official rules state that winners will be notified within 14 days of the end of the contest. Has a received anything? 

Received the subscription part of the prize today.

Waiting on the $$$ part 🤑

Thanks @Joe Bryant
I understood all these were paid a long time ago. If you have a question on anything please shoot it to help@footballguys.com. That's infinitely better than trying to communicate it here. 

Users who are viewing this thread