What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

It seems like there's going to be a fair amount of talent available at 4pm, what are the current biggest needs on the roster? I haven't been as keyed in to training camp/preseason as other years, but it seems secondary is still a concern, especially depth, and that the O-line could be real rough with Chuks not playing well and Banner still in limbo.

It seems like there's going to be a fair amount of talent available at 4pm, what are the current biggest needs on the roster? I haven't been as keyed in to training camp/preseason as other years, but it seems secondary is still a concern, especially depth, and that the O-line could be real rough with Chuks not playing well and Banner still in limbo.

Slot-CB and potentially OT.  I think they have workable pieces though.

IMO OT, slot CB, and S depth. Not sure how confident I am with Pierre starting.

Cam Newton got cut and people are already trying to send him to the Steelers. Bouchette seems to have already squashed the rumors to some extent. Cam seemed done at the end of last year, plus he's not vaccinated so he's an extra liability for a team. No thanks. 

Cam Newton got cut and people are already trying to send him to the Steelers. Bouchette seems to have already squashed the rumors to some extent. Cam seemed done at the end of last year, plus he's not vaccinated so he's an extra liability for a team. No thanks. 
 No thanks is right. 

Anyone else a bit nervous that there hasn't been a contract announced for TJ Watt?

It felt like the soft deadline was the final preseason game and that it would be announced after so it was obvious he wouldn't play. That's a few days past and still no word. Maybe after cut downs to see what kind of money they need to sign people?

Anyone else a bit nervous that there hasn't been a contract announced for TJ Watt?

It felt like the soft deadline was the final preseason game and that it would be announced after so it was obvious he wouldn't play. That's a few days past and still no word. Maybe after cut downs to see what kind of money they need to sign people?

Not nervous but a little surprised.  I thought he was going to sign before cuts today in case they wanted to make a trade or sign a FA. 

I'm sure NFL contracts are very complicated but you would have thought that all of the details would have been worked out by now.

Dobbs to IR.

Kept both Snell and Ballange.

Kept UG3 (6 ILBs)

Only 8 on the O-Line

Kept Buggs, Davis, and Mondeaux (8 D-Line)
I wonder if Tuitt goes on the PUP, or they expect him to miss the first few weeks. Could add to why they kept so many D-line. 

Wouldn't be shocked if UG3 is let go if we sign someone new or trade for someone. A little surprised Spillane made the team, but he was a strong special teamer. 

Hopefully we can get Brooks, Gilbert, and Roche on our PS. 

Could bring in Karl Joseph for safety depth now that Raiders cut him.

With Banner iffy, there has to be an o-line guy they are targeting.

And I just find it hard to believe they will rock with 4 total corners.  So that will be addressed as well I think/hope.

Tuitt maybe heading to the PUP to open a spot?  UG3 next cut for room.  And then maybe Snell/Ballange?  

I wouldn't hate trading one of our backup RBs and adding an additional WR if that's an option. 5 doesn't seem like enough depth, and Snell/Ballage aren't much better than replacement level. Though that probably makes trading them difficult. 

Keeping 8 defensive lineman and 6 inside linebackers is suspicious.  

I think you are right that Tuitt may be heading to the PUP.  Then maybe Spillane is snuck onto the practice squad at some point.

They HAVE to get someone in the secondary.  Can Karl Joseph play slot and backup at safety?  I know they brought him in during the off-season.

If Banner isn't fully recovered, you have to think there is a tackle they want that is out there too.

So when do we know whether any of the people cut go claimed or not, so that we can shape up the practice squad.

I am not sure why they kept UG3 over Roche . . . . 
I think waivers clear today, articles kept saying to check wednesday to see who was added to practice squad. 

Just checked, 4pm EST today the 1st. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Keeping 8 defensive linemen is so damn suspicious -- Tuitt heading to IR?

Can the Steelers sign/claim Karl Joseph, Jimmy Moreland, and an O-Lineman?  Tuitt to IR, cut UG3, and cut Snell/Ballage.

Keeping 8 defensive linemen is so damn suspicious -- Tuitt heading to IR?

Can the Steelers sign/claim Karl Joseph, Jimmy Moreland, and an O-Lineman?  Tuitt to IR, cut UG3, and cut Snell/Ballage.
I'm betting Tuitt to IR at 4pm when we re-sign people. I wonder if they've already talked to some of the players they cut to be like, don't sign elsewhere, we want you back, this is just procedural. 

If the Steelers don't grab an o-lineman or CB I'll be a bit confused, because we definitely need improvement there. 

Joe Haden: I want to sign an extension with the Steelers and end my career here!
Steelers: We're going to wait until next offseason.
Joe Haden: No, I want to wait until next offseason!

Yeah I think Tuitt is headed to IR but I wonder what the story is with him.  Is it his knee, some other injury or personal problems? 

ETA Just read this:

DE Stephon Tuitt is dealing with a knee injury and is currently "overweight" according to DC Keith Butler. Tuitt is also dealing with family matters after the death of his brother. He has not practiced this summer. 

Other stuff coming from twitter:

OLB Derrek Tuszka is signing to Steelers' practice squad, per source. Loved Broncos but PIT numbers may be better. Tuszka played in 9 games for DEN last yr after he was drafted in 7th round out of North Dakota State. He was almost always 1st player out on practice field.

The #Steelers will re-sign running back Jaylen Samuels to their practice squad, according to a report by NFL Network.

Am I reading right that Karl Joseph is on Steelers practice squad?
Yep:

The Steelers signed the following players to their practice squad:

WR Ricco Bussey

WR Cody White; 

RBTrey Edmunds

RB Jaylen Samuels

OT Chaz Green

OT John Leglue

TE Kevin Rader

DB Mark Gilbert

DB Donovan Stiner

The team also agreed to terms with the following players, who will be designated to the practice squad as well: 

WR Steven Sims

OG Malcolm Pridgeon

LB Derrek Tuszka

LB Christian Miller

DE Daniel Archibong

S Karl Joseph

The Steelers will leave one practice squad spot open heading into the weekend. Of the 15, five did not spend training camp with the Steelers; Sims, Tuszka, Miller, Archibong and Joseph.

Pittsburgh reportedly brought Joseph in for a visit this offseason. The former West Virginia safety played in 14 games for the Cleveland Browns last season, including eight starts. He finished the season with 66 tackles, four pass defenses and an interception.

I'm really glad we nabbed Gilbert, Joseph, and Sims. I thought Sims flashed potential for the WFT and I really liked Joseph coming out of school. I wonder who we put on IR and who we add to the 53 man roster.

Also, I've only seen 15 announced and all teams are allowed to carry 16 I think, so still moves to come for sure. 

Chiefs signed Shakur Brown to their practice squad.

Gilbert ended up being better than him.

I really liked Roche.  Had him in all of my mocks, so I take it personally that we didn't protect him over UG3 (who I liked, but certainly would have cleared waivers).

Maybe the Steelers like this Derrek Tuszka and Christian Miler better?

Love the Joseph signing.  Assume he is on the 53 eventually.  Can he play the slot in our scheme is my question?

irish eyes said:
Can't count on Tuitt to ever be available.  They will regret giving him the contract they gave him. Or they probably already do.
He is incredible when on the field, but he has seemed injured/unreliable in recent years. Next year is the final year of his contract, I'm really not sure which way it will go, extension or allowed to test the market. 

Apparently Karl Joseph will be on the 53-man roster once the Covid period expires.  Wonder who they cut/IR.

I'm still perturbed about Roche, who was the lone draft pick anybody seemed to like!  haha

Apparently Karl Joseph will be on the 53-man roster once the Covid period expires.  Wonder who they cut/IR.

I'm still perturbed about Roche, who was the lone draft pick anybody seemed to like!  haha
Marcus Allen may be put on IR freeing the spot for Joseph else I would think  UG3 if cut.

What's the story on TJ Watt?  Is he going to play?  Haven't heard any news recently.  Without him, I'd have to think that defense takes a big hit.

What's the story on TJ Watt?  Is he going to play?  Haven't heard any news recently.  Without him, I'd have to think that defense takes a big hit.

They say that they are extremely close on a deal.  Some concern that he has not done any live hitting, but he has been in every meeting, every practice, and did individual drills and team conditioning.  May not be best IDP play week 1.

They say that they are extremely close on a deal.  Some concern that he has not done any live hitting, but he has been in every meeting, every practice, and did individual drills and team conditioning.  May not be best IDP play week 1.
Yeah we keep expecting this deal to get done any day now and I am sure that it will this weekend.  They want Watt in for the start of week 1 practice.

Steelers Trade Seahawks for CB Ahkello Witherspoon.  I don’t know what to make if this since Seattle just signed him this offseason.

Steelers Trade Seahawks for CB Ahkello Witherspoon.  I don’t know what to make if this since Seattle just signed him this offseason.
It apparently cancels out the 5th round comp pick we would have gotten for Feiler, in addition to whatever pick was sent to Seattle. 

So now I think we just get a 3rd for Bud Dupree. 

Also, he's just on a 1-year deal, so I really hope we only sent a conditional pick, like a 7th if he gets X playing time. 

We traded a 2023 5th for him. So really, we gave up two 5th round picks. 

Hope he works out, wish it was for more than a 1-year contract...

It is sounding like there is a good chance the Watt deal is not going to get done in time for him to play week 1 against the Bills.

That will be a major blow to the defense and probably kills what slim chance they had at winning the game.

It will be interesting to see if the Steelers stick to their no negotiations during the season stance.  If so it could be a lengthy holdout .

Users who are viewing this thread