What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (14 Viewers)

They did try running a bit but they were only averaging a little over 3 yards a carry.   The offensive line is just not very good and not healthy, a bad combination.  Aside from getting way too cute on 1st & 2nd downs when we're inside the 5, I was quite pleased with the offense.

This is by far the biggest issue.  Just look at the back to back sacks on Ben on our last drive.

You would think that the Steelers would try to run Najee more, given that the Chargers have a poor run-D and our defense was so banged up . . . . 
That's the thing. They did try early.  It didn't work.  Against the 32nd ranked run D in the league. <insert fart noise here>

This OL is terribad, but particularly blocking for the run.  One different player in there wouldn't change it.  They need to strip it to the studs and start over.  Matt Canada calling plays exacerbates it, but there is no denying or disguising that right now their OL is just, well, poop.

Hopefully, the light goes on for a few of the younger guys in year 2.  It's not uncommon, I suppose, but for this year they probably are what they are by game 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the thing. They did try early.  It didn't work.  Against the 32nd ranked run D in the league. <insert fart noise here>

This OL is terribad, but particularly blocking for the run.  One different player in there wouldn't change it.  They need to strip it to the studs and start over.  Matt Canada calling plays exacerbates it, but there is no denying or disguising that right now their OL is just, well, poop.

Hopefully, the light goes on for a few of the younger guys in year 2.  It's not uncommon, I suppose, but for this year they probably are what they are by game 10.

When a line is playing this badly it is really tough to single one out but I'll do it anyway:  Kendrick Green.  He is getting blown apart and doesn't appear to be strong enough.  Maybe if he bulks up over the offseason and gets significantly stronger he could achieve mediocre status but he is absolutely brutal right now.

When a line is playing this bad.  ly it is really tough to single one out but I'll do it anyway:  Kendrick Green.  He is getting blown apart and doesn't appear to be strong enough. Maybe if he bulks up over the offseason and gets significantly stronger he could achieve mediocre status but he is absolutely brutal right now.
Both guards are consistently getting destroyed too.  Green has certainly sucked out loud, but it's been a collective effort. 

Dermontti Dawson in his prime ain't fixing this line.

Both guards are consistently getting destroyed too.  Green has certainly sucked out loud, but it's been a collective effort. 

Dermontti Dawson in his prime ain't fixing this line.
I wonder if they draft another center and move Green back to guard next year.  I mean, considering this is truly his first extensive play at the position, he is performing well.  He gets pushed back when someone is lining over him -- needs to work on that.  But the kid has started day one and barely ever played center before.  You learn by doing.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/11/22/nfl-makes-decision-on-cameron-heyward-punishment-justin-herbert

this might be already posted in the game thread. not sure how i missed this during the game, must have been getting a snack.

"To be honest, I was running after the ball, and I caught my hand under, so when I was trying to get back up, I couldn't get up, and I fell back on him," Heyward said after the game, via the Associated Press. "I know it looks terrible, [but] there was nothing malicious behind it. I don't think I was trying to punch him, but I know it looks worse than it is in slow motion. I'm sorry if I did anything to offend anybody. I wish I had said more to Justin after, but there was nothing behind it."

commentary: he looks like a bear sitting over herbert and flipping him over.

Heyward played out of his mind last night!

I like Najee but he needs to stop with the spin moves... he nearly blew out his knee last night and then nearly got decapitated on a separate spin-move-gone-wrong.  I love how E. Elliott runs down hill when contact is imminent and I think Najee would be better served to do that rather than spinning so much.

I wonder if they draft another center and move Green back to guard next year.
It's an option, at least, if they don't feel like he's going to "get it" a the pivot. 

I liked Green a little coming out to make the shift to C, and still do I suppose, but for a guy who was supposed to be more of a run blocker than a pass blocker, so far he hasn't done very well in that regard.  Maybe he would have been better served starting out at OG just to get used to the NFL, but they didn't have the luxury I suppose. 

I don't necessarily think he'll be a bust forever, but right now he isn't playing well enough.  The rest of the interior OL mostly playing equally ####ty sort of puts a laser beam on his shortcomings though, and I try to keep reminding myself it's not just him.

I wonder if they draft another center and move Green back to guard next year.
i've been thinking this for most of the year and was just going to post it.  sign or draft a center.

move Green to LG where he played in college, and Dotson to RG where he played in college.  i saw Dotson quoted in the off season saying he was still trying to get comfortable at LG, and guessed he eventually would.

good OT or two, QB, WR, non putrid backup RB, and new O coordinator and the offense is set.

i've been thinking this for most of the year and was just going to post it.  sign or draft a center.

move Green to LG where he played in college, and Dotson to RG where he played in college.  i saw Dotson quoted in the off season saying he was still trying to get comfortable at LG, and guessed he eventually would.

good OT or two, QB, WR, non putrid backup RB, and new O coordinator and the offense is set.
Green will adjust to C. 

Please don't waste anymore draft capital on RBs

Please don't waste anymore draft capital on RBs
don't worry, i don't really have that much influence on the Steeler's draft.

and i'm thinking a 7th rounder or low level free agent could be a less putrid backup, except maybe we don't evaluate them very well.  at all.

song said:
don't worry, i don't really have that much influence on the Steeler's draft.

and i'm thinking a 7th rounder or low level free agent could be a less putrid backup, except maybe we don't evaluate them very well.  at all.
RBs have almost nothing to do with running game success. 

song said:

Is that all?

TJ Watt and Minkah logged full practice, both are expected to play against the Bengals.  

Hayden was limited and will likely be a GTD.

Based on box score, looks like this was the perfect game for me to decide to not watch. <back pat>

This team isnt very good.  At. All.

Just another embarrassment in a long line of embarrassing losses. Hopefully they lose out and get a somewhat decent pick. Get out of Tuitt's contract if possible as he is completely useless. I guess Haden is gone regardless but he is unreliable now as well, hurt all the time.

5-ish Finkle said:
Based on box score, looks like this was the perfect game for me to decide to not watch. <back pat>

This team isnt very good.  At. All.
Yup I wasn’t able to see the game in my region (thankfully).  This team seems to be a bottom feeder.  Outside of Watt and maybe 3 other players, not a whole lot to be excited about.  Probably a complete gut job is in order (and that requires them somehow finding another stud QB).  Gonna be bleak for a while.

Absolute disaster of a game. The Steelers were hapless on both sides of the ball.

Based on today’s “performance” and their upcoming schedule It is difficult to see them winning another game yet this is the NFL and anything is possible.

I stand by my opinion that the Steelers need to to do whatever it takes to assemble a competent offensive line and get some help for the defense.

Please do that first before you start worrying about QB

I stand by my opinion that the Steelers need to to do whatever it takes to assemble a competent offensive line and get some help for the defense.

Please do that first before you start worrying about QB
Overall defensive depth is bad, but OL and ILB play are their most glaring weaknesses at the moment.  OL should be carpet bombed with draft picks or free agency, if not both. ILB probably needs addressed aggressively too (which is a shame) but they can't fix it all at once.

In today's NFL, offense kills.  Have to fix that OL post-haste. Won't matter who the QB, skill types, or the OC are if their OL continues to be that inept.  

Any chance Pitt does the right thing and bench Ben? Not that the options behind him are much better, but still. Have some accountability.
No way is Tomlin doing that, unless a Rooney flat out ordered him to (and they won't), and it likely wouldn't matter anyway.   Rudolph is bad.  Real bad.

CLE and BALT look totally inept on offense tonight (at halftime)... but both of these teams are going to destroy the Steelers when they play.  The Steelers won't be able to stop the run against either opponent and these defenses will feast on PIT offense... totally sucks. 

But the Steelers have been competitive (at least not door mats) for the last ~25years... so at least we had that going for us, which was nice.  Hopefully we don't experience another drought as long as the one between Bradshaw and Big Ben.

Maybe Bush needs another off-season to recover from the ACL. But he 100% needs a thumper like Vince Wiiliams next to him. They miss him and Tuitt bad on D. 

No. Mason Rudolph and Duane Haskins are behind him, and they're horrible.
Agreed.  Ben is an issue but it really doesn’t matter who you put behind this line.  Rudolph and Haskins aren’t the answer to what ails the Steelers.

We knew going in the line was going to be a problem but the hope was they would get better as the season went on.  The surprise is how the defense is become inept.  Even with Watt and Minkah back they were getting shredded on the ground and air.

The team is broken on both sides of the ball.  and there isn’t much that can be done about it until the off season.

it’s going to be tough to watch down the stretch but it is what it is…

Missing Alualu and Tuitt big time. Can't use that as an excuse, but having those 2 up front with Heyward would make a huge difference against the run.

No idea what is going on with Bush, does he just not have the smarts to make it in the league? Jarvis Jones 2.0 at this point, freakish athlete but can't play the game and is thus a huge liability when on the field.

At this point, it looks like a complete gut job, both on the roster and coaches. Keep Watt, Minkah, Najee, and Boswell, everyone else can hit the road...maybe Diontae if he can keep playing as he has, but I want no part of Claypool in his current state.

Missing Alualu and Tuitt big time. Can't use that as an excuse, but having those 2 up front with Heyward would make a huge difference against the run.

No idea what is going on with Bush, does he just not have the smarts to make it in the league? Jarvis Jones 2.0 at this point, freakish athlete but can't play the game and is thus a huge liability when on the field.

At this point, it looks like a complete gut job, both on the roster and coaches. Keep Watt, Minkah, Najee, and Boswell, everyone else can hit the road...maybe Diontae if he can keep playing as he has, but I want no part of Claypool in his current state.

I think Bush isn't at 100% speed coming off of the ACL injury.  His game is reliant on that speed, so he is probably not playing with confidence and a bit scared.  He isn't strong or big enough to shed blocks.  Hopefully he just needs a real offseason.  

I knew the Steelers schedule was brutal coming down the stretch but all of these teams can basically name the score they want to hang on Pittsburgh:

Ravens - what is the record for QB rushing in a single game?  Lamar might get there.
@ Vikings - If D. Cook is healthy he'll have a monster game
Titans - good thing Henry is out, won't matter
@ Chiefs - yikes!  What is the most passing yards given up in a single game, see a trend here in my thinking :lol:  
Browns - Chubb/Hunt gonna smash them
@ Ravens - see earlier comment about the Ravens; he might break his own rushing record he set 5 weeks earlier :lol:  

Jesus- starting the Steeler's fantasy defense was a fireable offense. Should've saw last week as a bad omen, not that "oh JJ Watt and co' are missing" 

Some of them came back and they literally got destroyed to the tune of like 7-9 yards per play. That's insanity. 

Gotta be the worst defensive performance I've seen all year. 

and there isn’t much that can be done about it until the off season.
agreed.  but Witherspoon should be cut right now.  did anyone else see the HUGE smile on his face on the bench late 4th quarter, while the guys on either side of him looked deflated and miserable?

Happy Steelers/Ravens Week!

How in the hell do you handicap this game? I know you guys are down on Pittsburgh and they are struggling.

But, have you SEEN Baltimore this season? They are - by far - the luckiest team in the league and have played like trash more often than not on both offense & defense.

Plus, these games always have weird stuff happen. Backup QBs beat established starters, bizarre plays, unknowable coaching decisions at the wrong time.

I believe Tomlin has a one-game lead on Harbaugh in their H2H matchups and I think I read their aggregate points in those games are damned near even. I both love and dread these games.

Asked what could be done to help improve Steelers’ practice, Chase Claypool suggested playing music.

Claypool: “We have music in the warm ups and that, so it's fun. People are dancing, having fun. So I think maybe music would make practice more fun and little more uptempo.”
Cripes, dude. I hope this was somehow taken out of context.

Happy Steelers/Ravens Week!

How in the hell do you handicap this game? I know you guys are down on Pittsburgh and they are struggling.

TJ watt out with Covid and even with him this defense stinks, particularly against the run.   

Still the Ravens are struggling offensively and it is in Pittsburgh so I say the Steelers should only be a 22 point underdog.

Bottom line:  give the points and take the Ravens.

Woof.

Two ILBs that can't stop the run, young secondary players in over their heads, players who can't catch, and a QB who was wildly inaccurate. 

Keeping starters in for the last 2 drives was just wild. 

This is still a team that can beat anybody and lose to anybody. It feels like the story is already written for the next 2-3 years because of how predictable the Steelers have become. Mason is going to be the starter after Ben leaves just because he's been there and is a known commodity, and he will be very mediocre.

Mason is going to be the starter after Ben leaves just because he's been there and is a known commodity, and he will be very mediocre.

Ben was washed in 2018... probably should have started thinking about "the next guy" then.

Mason is a decent emergency QB.

Why not play Haskins rest of the way just to see what they've got. If he stinks you cut bait. If they plan on trotting Mason out there ever again I would have to assume that the "Tanking for <insert name>" plan is in effect.

This team is facing a massive rebuild effort.

Ben was washed in 2018... probably should have started thinking about "the next guy" then.

Mason is a decent emergency QB.

Why not play Haskins rest of the way just to see what they've got. If he stinks you cut bait. If they plan on trotting Mason out there ever again I would have to assume that the "Tanking for <insert name>" plan is in effect.

This team is facing a massive rebuild effort.
I’m pretty sure they know what they have in Haskins. He’s not the answer. Please just build the trenches and wait on QB for a year or two. At least they won’t be drafting a RB or TE in the first two rounds, hopefully. 

Users who are viewing this thread