What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (16 Viewers)

wgoldsph said:
I'm throwing this out there despite the fact that it'll never happen... But how much better do the steelers get if they trade for Watson?  Fringe playoff team to legit superbowl contenders?
I’d rather they trade SIGNIFICANTLY less for Tua. 

wgoldsph said:
I'm throwing this out there despite the fact that it'll never happen... But how much better do the steelers get if they trade for Watson?  Fringe playoff team to legit superbowl contenders?

You are right, it won't happen.   Mainly because at the moment they don't have the cap space.  But even if they did figure out a way to pull it off I'm guessing it would take at least 4 weeks to get into shape, shake off rust and learn a new system.
Its been thrown out there back in July when it was first floated by the Texans.

The 500 lb gorilla for the last few years is what happens when Ben is kaput and he's realllll close. 

Pittsburgh won't face a slog of one-armed banged-up beaten-down Cleveland squads coming off two weeks of BYE-week prep time going forward.  Or been staring down Teddy Bridgewater or Geno Smith IF they somehow manage to sneak into the last Wild Card.  I mean if you really think what you saw yesterday was a healthy Browns team at its peak ah no and they needed OT to beat Geno Smith. 

Point?

The furthest possible distance Pittsburgh makes it with Ben in his Rascal stage is another one-and-done beat down and tears on the sidelines.  

DeShaun Watson would not make Pittsburgh a viable contender THIS WEEK but he would be the end of this season and heading into the post season and other season going forward.  

It is not just a wild hair topic.  I can't believe they didn't pull the trigger back in July when they would have had plenty of time to get him up to speed and learn the system.  It would take time but he'd be ready for the playoffs right about the time Ben's aging body will hit its wall just as it did last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been thrown out there back in July when it was first floated by the Texans.

The 500 lb gorilla for the last few years is what happens when Ben is kaput and he's realllll close. 

Pittsburgh won't face a slog of one-armed banged-up beaten-down Cleveland squads coming off two weeks of BYE-week prep time going forward.  Or been staring down Teddy Bridgewater or Geno Smith IF they somehow manage to sneak into the last Wild Card.  I mean if you really think what you saw yesterday was a healthy Browns team at its peak ah no and they needed OT to beat Geno Smith. 

Point?

The furthest possible distance Pittsburgh makes it with Ben in his Rascal stage is another one-and-done beat down and tears on the sidelines.  

DeShaun Watson would not make Pittsburgh a viable contender THIS WEEK but he would be the end of this season and heading into the post season and other season going forward.  

It is not just a wild hair topic.  I can't believe they didn't pull the trigger back in July when they would have had plenty of time to get him up to speed and learn the system.  It would take time but he'd be ready for the playoffs right about the time Ben's aging body will hit its wall just as it did last year.
The asking price for Watson was way too high and it would have extremely difficult to fit his current contract under the cap.

As far as one-armed beaten up Browns squad, it was the Browns decision to start Mayfield who is only an above average QB when healthy.  The problem for the Browns yesterday is the Steelers shut down the run, not that their QB was unable to throw (they also had some bad drops that hurt them)

Seems so dumb.  Like what was he told when he signed?  What happened to the 3OLB scheme?  Why did he only play 17 snaps vs the Seahawks?  He was great depth and a rotational piece that was probably under-utilized.  

Pity Party Over! (for now)

Deciding to go full optimist because it's more fun while it lasts. This team currently has a horrendous offense and is decimated by injury, but they can still turn it around! Many offenses don't click immediately when implementing a new scheme. 

The O-line is going to get Banner back and replace Chuks at RT (who has been awful). The young players at LT/LG/C will continue to improve and by mid-season will be much better, perhaps allowing Ben more than 2 seconds to pass the ball before getting hit. Ben will suddenly realize that the middle of the field does still exist, and passes of 10+ yards will start to flow to Diontae, Juju, and the TEs. Najee and Pat Frieirmuth look like the real deal and will continue to make this offense better and better as the season goes along. Their limited touches now, at the beginning of the season (last game excluded) will allow them to bypass the rookie wall. Also, the offense starts to really roll after the Bye with more time to implement Canada's plan, and allow him to update scheme based on what's working and what's not. 

The defense is going to get healthy and return to kick-### form. Alualu is lost for the year, but Tuitt, Watt, Highsmith, Bush, Haden will all get fully healthy and restart our defensive domination of teams. Bush is going to get better and better the further removed from his ACL he gets, so by the end of the season he has several picks and forced fumbles, along with a significant amount of tackles. Watt doesn't lead the league in sacks like many hoped, but he is top 5 even with missed games. Overall the Defense allows an average of 13 pts per game over the final 8 weeks and we're able to pull off some unexpected wins. 

The season ends with the Steelers at 10-7 but we're able to sneak into the final wildcard spot where we take down the Bills AGAIN in Buffalo to move on. 

The Steelers get absolutely destroyed this Sunday by the Packers, but then the players hold a secret team meeting and rally to go on a winning streak to win the next 5 games in a row. They then split the last 8 games to end the season 10-7, sweeping the Ravens to everyone's delight. 
Still alive! 3 games into the predicted 5 game win streak. Now we just have to fight hard against the Bears and Lions. 

The Chiefs look like trash, we beat the Bills and Browns, the Titans have lost Henry, the Bengals just lost to the Jets, and the Ravens have lucked into half their wins. The Steelers do not look great, amazing, or elite, but they could take down any team in the AFC on any given Sunday. Still holding out hope!

I like the trading of Ingram, his playing time has dropped drastically the last few weeks (not including missing last game). We were missing many picks in the upcoming draft, so it's good to get at least 1 back. Now we have 1, 2, 3, 3, 6, 7, 7. Would be better if we could get late picks for Ebron and Washington too since we're not using them. 

Promoted Taco Charlton to active roster, signed Josh Lambo to PS (assuming in case Bos isn't good for this week). 

I liked Taco coming out of school, but thought he kind of flopped in the NFL. We'll see if the Steelers can at least turn him into a moderate rotational piece. 

Godsbrother said:
I think it came down to "we want volunteers, not hostages".  I like trading him if he was not going to accept his role
Yeah, I don't always agree with that philosophy. There was no indication he was a cancer. Let him compete for more snaps and make the most of his chances when they come. He's a dang good number three and you need that. Depth is key to success.

If you're a good player in Pittsburgh and wish to seek greener grass just start whining and you'll likely get your wish. But who's running the show? Players or organization? 

Almost afraid to put this out into the universe...but this upcoming game vs. Chicago has the ear-markings of a "classic Tomlin letdown" vibe to it. The Steelers certainly aren't ace this year, but the Bears...in a word...stink on ice (particularly on offense). 

MNF home game vs. inferior opponent with rookie QB?   What's the over/under they come out flat and either straight up lose, or at least make it a nail-biter?

Hopefully, I'm just a pessimistic grump.

Almost afraid to put this out into the universe...but this upcoming game vs. Chicago has the ear-markings of a "classic Tomlin letdown" vibe to it. The Steelers certainly aren't ace this year, but the Bears...in a word...stink on ice (particularly on offense). 

MNF home game vs. inferior opponent with rookie QB?   What's the over/under they come out flat and either straight up lose, or at least make it a nail-biter?

If it was a Sunday afternoon game you might be right.  However, IIRC, the Steelers have a pretty good record on TNF/SNF/MNF under Tomlin so that will trump the potential let down game, IMO

Well earlier we had someone say the same thing about the Seattle game.   Most teams are going to have at least one "letdown game" where they are accused of overlooking an opponent and lost to a supposedly inferior team.  The reality is that even bad teams beat good teams in NFL.

The Steelers are a 4-3 team and I would call them mediocre but getting better. However they've only put up more than 20 points in three games and that is concerning.   

I agree that the Bears are not a good team and the Steelers should win decisively but when you aren't scoring a lot of points it keeps opponents in the game, and all it takes is a key turnover at the wrong time or place to flip a W to an L.

I think the Steelers win this game.  It is prime time and at home and Ben usually plays well under the lights.  My biggest concern is the Steelers are going to need to score touchdowns when in the red zone.  I don't want the game to come down to a new FG kicker or a banged up Boz.

The Steelers lost to the Bears when Mike Glennon was at the helm, the Bears just seem to be a weakness. Hopefully the Steelers limit turnovers and are able to run the ball. I'm also thinking we get 1-2 turnovers of our own against this mediocre offense. 

Not on MNF.

I mean, anything can happen, so of course they could lose.  But it isn't going to play out like a trap or let down game.  Mike T comes correct on national television.  

You have to give it to them, the 2021 Ravens just seem to have a knack out of winning games they probably should have lost.   
100%

I'm convinced that they're the current Super Bowl favorites. They are the team with the most luck/grit so far this year. The Bills just lost to the Jags and the Chiefs look terrible. 

Steelers were apparently close to trading for Fletcher Cox, but the Eagles wanted at least a 3rd round pick and that was too rich for the Steelers. IMO this is bad news for Tuitt's availability. He's possibly hurt, possibly grieving his brother, no one really seems to know. I don't think the Steelers cut him next year, unless he says he's not going to play 100%, in which case hopefully he just retires. If the team let him go, they'd save almost $5 million next year, but with a $9 mil dead cap hit. Not really worth it if he could be available. 

Though, at this point, I really hope they don't extend him. When he's available he's great, but he's often not available. 

100%

I'm convinced that they're the current Super Bowl favorites. They are the team with the most luck/grit so far this year. The Bills just lost to the Jags and the Chiefs look terrible. 
Their luck with injuries to Running backs was pretty awful so let's chalk it up to grit.    However if you keep playing from behind it normally eventually bites you.

Their luck with injuries to Running backs was pretty awful so let's chalk it up to grit.    However if you keep playing from behind it normally eventually bites you.
Oh, it's gonna get them at some point. Baltimore can't keep this up. They are winning with smoke & mirrors. Here's what they can rely on - 1. QB, 2. Hollywood Brown, 3. experienced and talented coaches, and 4. special teams. That's it. Everyone else except (sometimes) Mark Andrews, the 2 1st round rookies (one of whom didn't play until two games ago and the other who started fast and has faded) and 900 year-old Calais Campbell have played below expectations. 

This stretch-run in the division is gonna be a blood bath. The Ravens have Miami & Chicago their next two games then have this nightmare:

Steelers twice

Browns twice

Cincy

GB 

Rams

Dobbins is a great RB, I think Gus and Justice aren't significantly better than what they have now. So, yes, they lost their #2 RB (Jackson being their #1 RB and QB) and they lost their 2nd best CB in Peters. But the fluke ways they've won and with some calls going their way, it just feels like the team of destiny like when Flacco was playing out of his mind and Broncos CBs decided to just flail instead of tackling Torrey Smith. 

This stretch-run in the division is gonna be a blood bath. The Ravens have Miami & Chicago their next two games then have this nightmare:

Steelers twice

Browns twice

Cincy

GB 

Rams
They're going to go 5-2 in this stretch, sweeping the Browns and beating Cincy/GB/Rams. They're just going to lose to the Steelers twice 😎

Dobbins is a great RB, I think Gus and Justice aren't significantly better than what they have now. So, yes, they lost their #2 RB (Jackson being their #1 RB and QB) and they lost their 2nd best CB in Peters. But the fluke ways they've won and with some calls going their way, it just feels like the team of destiny like when Flacco was playing out of his mind and Broncos CBs decided to just flail instead of tackling Torrey Smith. 

They're going to go 5-2 in this stretch, sweeping the Browns and beating Cincy/GB/Rams. They're just going to lose to the Steelers twice 😎
It was Jacoby Jones, not Smith.

Losing Peters broke what they were good at on defense.

I'd take 5-2 down the stretch, even if it meant losing twice to Pittsburgh. Most Ravens fans would kill me for saying so :lol:

Good luck tonight and I hope everyone comes out healthy. It's fun for me to watch such a competitive division.

Well according to yesterday we are about to lose big.

Not gonna over-analyze that for sure.  Just wave that towel and eat some snacks!!

Sorry for the rah-rah post - but yinz were talkin 'bout the Ratbirds in a Steelers thread and I'm tryin ta eat :)

They certainly tried to give this one away, didn't they?

A win is a win, I suppose....but this offense is pretty much canine feces.  The playcalling is junk, the OL play is still junk for the most part, and they don't have any kind of dynamism.  I'll bet if they just keep running those 15 stretch plays into the A gap every contest, and those 4 WR screens/jet sweeps a game, eventually they'll work out though! 

The defense, aside from a few individuals, isn't anything to get that jazzed about at the moment either.  If TJ Watt wasn't a "Top 3 Overall Defender in the league" they would look a lot worse right now. A LOT.  Bears had bunch of guys getting open for most of the game, Fields just wasn't delivering until later in the contest.  Can't have that happen against real QBs and expect to win with last second FGs.

Fully expecting them to let Detroit hang around next game too. 

steelers1080 said:
I stand corrected. Either way, that playoff run was insane, and it has the same feel as these recent wins. Like, no matter what, the Ravens are finding ways to win (most of their games). 
Yeah, that year was nuts. It's funny, because that was the worst of the teams in that 2010-2013 era (IMO). The year before, they had NE dead to rights in the playoffs and had the Billy Cundiff/Lee Evans double whammy happen. I was sure they'd win the SB that year.

In any case, Flacco made himself about $130m with that playoff run. He turned into Joe Montana for 4 games. 

Good win last night, by the way. Doesn't have to be pretty. This is the best division in the NFL.

Last night’s game was a thing of beauty.

Well not really, there are lots of things to work on this week but there are no style points in the NFL, no polls. The team is 5-3 and I’ll take it.

It would be nice to have an easy win once on a while but I’ll take them ugly if that’s the way it has to be.

Feel like John Travolta after the dance contest. No way the judges were going to let the Bears get that trophy last night.

Pity Party Over! (for now)

Deciding to go full optimist because it's more fun while it lasts. This team currently has a horrendous offense and is decimated by injury, but they can still turn it around! Many offenses don't click immediately when implementing a new scheme. 

The O-line is going to get Banner back and replace Chuks at RT (who has been awful). The young players at LT/LG/C will continue to improve and by mid-season will be much better, perhaps allowing Ben more than 2 seconds to pass the ball before getting hit. Ben will suddenly realize that the middle of the field does still exist, and passes of 10+ yards will start to flow to Diontae, Juju, and the TEs. Najee and Pat Frieirmuth look like the real deal and will continue to make this offense better and better as the season goes along. Their limited touches now, at the beginning of the season (last game excluded) will allow them to bypass the rookie wall. Also, the offense starts to really roll after the Bye with more time to implement Canada's plan, and allow him to update scheme based on what's working and what's not. 

The defense is going to get healthy and return to kick-### form. Alualu is lost for the year, but Tuitt, Watt, Highsmith, Bush, Haden will all get fully healthy and restart our defensive domination of teams. Bush is going to get better and better the further removed from his ACL he gets, so by the end of the season he has several picks and forced fumbles, along with a significant amount of tackles. Watt doesn't lead the league in sacks like many hoped, but he is top 5 even with missed games. Overall the Defense allows an average of 13 pts per game over the final 8 weeks and we're able to pull off some unexpected wins. 

The season ends with the Steelers at 10-7 but we're able to sneak into the final wildcard spot where we take down the Bills AGAIN in Buffalo to move on. 

The Steelers get absolutely destroyed this Sunday by the Packers, but then the players hold a secret team meeting and rally to go on a winning streak to win the next 5 games in a row. They then split the last 8 games to end the season 10-7, sweeping the Ravens to everyone's delight. 
Still Alive!

I am fully convinced we're going to lose to the Lions with how we've been playing, but if we win then my prediction from right after Week 3 is still on track!

That was a weird game last night. The Steelers got all the calls last night for the first time in a long time, and still almost managed to lose because Ray Ray gifted the Bears 7 pts when we should have had the ball wasting clock away up 10. It felt like karmic retribution for the calls gifted to us, like the chop on Watt that was very iffy and negated a Jimmy Graham TD. Also, the Cassius Marsh call seemed suspect but I guess technically was taunting?

Takeaways:

• Watt is a beast and is covering a lot of the holes on defense along with Minkah Fitzpatrick. 
  • Bush has flashes of true talent, but his instincts aren't as good as the great Steelers defenders of the past (Polamalu, Timmons, etc) so he's judged harshly. I think he's solid but not spectacular. 
  • Kendrick Green isn't strong enough. He was shoved back into the backfield on key plays by Goldman. 
  • Our 2021 draft has resulted in some great players, Pat was killing it, and Najee was getting yards when there were none. Behind a better O-line he would be dominating. Green and Moore need work, but we almost never start Rookies on the O-line so hopefully they'll develop. 
  • I still believe that Minkah is amazing and that most of the time he just looks ok, or appears to have screwed up, it's because he's covering for someone else's mistake. There was a play where a TE caught a deep ball and should have been covered by Edmunds, but he let him run by and Minkah had to make the tackle. Hoping we can replace Edmunds next year. 
  • Ben is old. That pass to James Washington, woof. Also several balls in the dirt. 
  • Boswell is in prime form. The extra point was a fluke, two 50+ yard FGs in Heinz field was not. 
  • Our playoff hopes are still alive! The Steelers aren't firing on all cylinders, and they might not this season, but our D is playing pretty well and our Offense is averting disaster for now. The Bills just lost to the Jags, Mahomes just threw for 166 yards, the Browns and Bengals are beating each other up, and the Ravens keep almost losing games. The AFC is wide open for the taking, we just need to make fewer mistakes and get Tuitt back in the lineup. 

Another factor, the Bears were without Hicks for most of the game, and Mack/Ogletree/Jackson for all of the game. That puts it in a bit more perspective that our offense was able to be Ok but it was facing a depleted defense. 

• Bush has flashes of true talent, but his instincts aren't as good as the great Steelers defenders of the past (Polamalu, Timmons, etc) so he's judged harshly. I think he's solid but not spectacular. 
I think Bush is learning and getting better.  It takes a while to get comfortable with this defense.  He is going to be fine.

• Kendrick Green isn't strong enough. He was shoved back into the backfield on key plays by Goldman. 
Agreed. He needs to bulk up.   After coming their best performance against the Browns I thought the offensive line took a major step backward last night

• I still believe that Minkah is amazing and that most of the time he just looks ok, or appears to have screwed up, it's because he's covering for someone else's mistake. There was a play where a TE caught a deep ball and should have been covered by Edmunds, but he let him run by and Minkah had to make the tackle. Hoping we can replace Edmunds next year. 
Edmunds is not good.  I'm not sure how you let these WRs and TEs repeatedly get behind you when you're trying to protect a lead late in the game.

• Ben is old. That pass to James Washington, woof. Also several balls in the dirt. 
Agreed although he did bring us back behind with less that 2 minutes.   I do think Ben needs to retire but my bigger problem is the play calling.  We simply have to start throwing downfield, and I am not talking long bombs I am saying 7-15 yards downfield.

• Boswell is in prime form. The extra point was a fluke, two 50+ yard FGs in Heinz field was not.  
The Boz is money

Our playoff hopes are still alive! The Steelers aren't firing on all cylinders, and they might not this season, but our D is playing pretty well and our Offense is averting disaster for now. The Bills just lost to the Jags, Mahomes just threw for 166 yards, the Browns and Bengals are beating each other up, and the Ravens keep almost losing games. The AFC is wide open for the taking, we just need to make fewer mistakes and get Tuitt back in the lineup.

Agree except for the D playing pretty well.  Last week: yes.  This week: meh. They gave up a lot of yards to a bad offense and have a bad habit of falling asleep in the 4th quarter.

Again there are no style points.   We simply need to get better in all facets of the game.  Hopefully they don't come out flat against the Lions.

Well.... no one got injured (as far as I know - Claypool?)

We took a sideways step and some weaknesses were exposed.  (Deep pass D if we can't get pressure, overall speed)

Chicago does not look like a team that will miss the playoffs much longer.

Always enjoy some home cooking. Let's be real, the win was gifted with some atrocious calls in favor, including a TD taken away on a bogus call where Daniels whiffed on a block while within the box, a late hit on Fields by Highsmith and no call, and a new life given when Marsh was flagged for staring, LOL. A joke way to win*, but that's the NFL these day. A diluted product with the worst officiating of any major sport. 

Green and Moore are bad, no matter how you slice it. They were abused most of the night. Offense is bad overall, gaining 280 in over 34 mins of possession on a team without their best LB and safety, and with Hicks hurting most of the night. Bright spots are Najee who has little blocking to work with, but his effort never stops, and Muth, who is finally being featured. If they can get him the ball down the seams, it will open up this O a bit, but Ben is restricted in what he can accomplish at this stage of his career.

On D, that secondary is as bad as can be, but masked by the pass rush, but most already knew this. Maulet is slow, and Edmunds stinks. Minkah can lay the lumber, but sometimes he's nowhere to be found. Still, he's probably the least of the issues back there. One has to shudder when knowing what teams can accomplish going forward with max protect. One thing this league does is expose weaknesses they see on film, and Steelers have a glaring one on D.

I'm trying to figure out why the line is dropping in this game. You guys should win it by double digits.
Missed the game on Monday night, huh? :)

They'll likely win because Detroit is an awful team, but it's very likely to look a lot like the Monday Nighter: 

• Early two score lead for Pitt.
  • Foot comes off gas, due mostly to horrid playcalling and maybe an ill-advised decision that results in a turnover
  • Defense gets a little gassed from being on the field so much during the second half and allow a couple cheap scores(or STs gives up a score), quite possibly surrendering the lead at some point.
  • Steelers win in the waning minutes by 6 points or less because "Detroit gonna Detroit."
  • Many fans get happy and point to "6-3!!!!" 
  • 5-ish takes poop in a toilet into which he had just previously regurgitated when asked for an example of what the Steelers' offense resembles.

Missed the game on Monday night, huh? :)

They'll likely win because Detroit is an awful team, but it's very likely to look a lot like the Monday Nighter: 

• Early two score lead for Pitt.
  • Foot comes off gas, due mostly to horrid playcalling and maybe an ill-advised decision that results in a turnover
  • Defense gets a little gassed from being on the field so much during the second half and allow a couple cheap scores(or STs gives up a score), quite possibly surrendering the lead at some point.
  • Steelers win in the waning minutes by 6 points or less because "Detroit gonna Detroit."
  • Many fans get happy and point to "6-3!!!!" 
  • 5-ish takes poop in a toilet into which he had just previously regurgitated when asked for an example of what the Steelers' offense resembles.
Put me in with this group!

I'm trying to figure out why the line is dropping in this game. You guys should win it by double digits.
Anybody left alive in a Survivor format is taking Pitt in this one and hedging their bets by backing the Lions as a misery hedge.  That's what I'm doing....Lions ML for a chunk to ease my sorrows if Pitt loses. :grad:

Users who are viewing this thread