What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (13 Viewers)

Some people are talking about voidable years to lessen the hit in 2021, but that worsens our situation in 2022 and beyond. I hope they either take the full hit this year, or let him go.

Dulac apparently stated that Big Al is not being resigned, not sure if speculation or a source, but not really surprised. He may not have been our weakest link on the O-line, but he definitely was not an asset. I thought he was just ok outside of the 1 pretty good year he had. Chuks was drafted to play LT, but I'm not sure how the front office feels about Chuks at LT and Banner at RT (assuming healthy and cheap to resign). It should be a no brainer to use a top 3 pick on OT. 
I think Dotson will start next season on the interior.  So Feiler, Chuks, and Banner fight it out for 2 starting spots with the other being a swing tackle. 

OC Randy Fichtner, OL coach Shaun Sarrett and DB coach Tom Bradley canned
It honestly just dawned on me that our O-Line has sucked ever since Munchak left. Hopefully they can add some seriously awesome replacements. I heard that Matt Canada had more influence on the offense early in the year, but I don't know if he's the best answer at OC or not. Our offense was definitely clicking early in the year, and he has been shown to be innovative in the past. 

I'm glad the Steelers are moving on quickly, gives me hope that they know that significant changes are required. 

steelers1080 said:
It honestly just dawned on me that our O-Line has sucked ever since Munchak left. Hopefully they can add some seriously awesome replacements. I heard that Matt Canada had more influence on the offense early in the year, but I don't know if he's the best answer at OC or not. Our offense was definitely clicking early in the year, and he has been shown to be innovative in the past. 

I'm glad the Steelers are moving on quickly, gives me hope that they know that significant changes are required. 
Munchak has been the biggest loss the Steelers have had.  The line improved exponentially when he arrived and has been a weakness since he left.  Stupid wanting to be near family in Denver. 

steelers1080 said:
Reported: Lions are going to hire away Colbert to be their GM!

Also Reported: The Lions have not requested permission from the Steelers to talk to Colbert, which is required because he is under contract through the 2021 draft. 

So, watch out for nonsense headlines in the offseason...
I feel like this is like the 4th or 5th time over the past 15 years we've heard this kind of thing reported about Detroit (including the part about not requesting permission to talk to him).

steelers1080 said:

Matt is about pre snap motion and movement. It's no surprise to me that Claypool was used efficiently on sweeps early on, and then never again. Why would that be? Maybe Matt is not the answer, but I think he deserves a shot.

steelers1080 said:
Reported: Lions are going to hire away Colbert to be their GM!

Also Reported: The Lions have not requested permission from the Steelers to talk to Colbert, which is required because he is under contract through the 2021 draft. 

So, watch out for nonsense headlines in the offseason...
According to Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero, Detroit have reportedly hired Brad Holmes as the new GM.

Rams are getting 2 3rd round picks for losing one of their front office to go be a GM, so if we lose Khan will we get 2 3rd round picks? IMO not necessarily worth it, but a pretty nice compensation. 

Oh man, I hope we don't hire Schottenheimer as OC. He's so blah and predictable. 

I hope we go with Pep Hamilton and get him a rookie QB to help mold. 

Impressive discussions, Steeler fans know their stuff and their team.

Randy Fichtner needed to go but the last two OCs haven't done real well. 

Whoever is hired has an issue at QB to figure out.

Reported that Steelers will keep Butler. I forgot that he doesn't call plays for the defense on gameday, Tomlin took over those duties. I would argue that when our defense is healthy it has been exceptional in recent years, but that our depth tends to get tested each year. Overall, fine with him coming back, especially if he has the support of Watt, Minkah, Bush, Heyward, Tuitt, etc. 

What about Anthony Lynn at OC? He seemed to do well with Herbert and we should be bringing in a rookie QB next year at the latest. 

Also, I wonder if the Steelers are quiet in FA this year until after the Compensatory Pick deadline (not to mention we don't have much to spend) since we're projected to lose so many players. For this upcoming draft it looks like we'll probably get a 4th and 6th (for Hargrave and Sean Davis) and possibly another 6th for Matakevich. That would take us up to 10 picks and give us 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 6, 6, 6, 7, 7 (I think). 

With few QBs in free agency this year, the top of the compensatory picks list could be pass rushers and WRs. The list of our upcoming free agents has some players which could/should net us some picks if we let them walk and don't sign big FAs from other teams:

• Dupree - 3rd
  • Juju - 3rd
  • Hilton/Sutton - 4th or 5th?
  • Conner - 6th 
  • Alualu - 5th
  • Williamson - 6th
I don't think Big Al or Feiler gets signed to a big contract, but who knows. We also have a lot of mediocre defensive talent reaching free agency, which could surprise with 1 or 2 contracts bigger than expected, but with the salary cap decreasing this year it wouldn't be surprising if fewer big contracts were handed out. I'm hopeful we can resign Alualu and one of Hilton/Sutton, but we'll see.

Hopefully if Dupree and Juju leave, they land monster contracts and help get us two 3rd round picks!

Lynn has a short resume as OC, but he did favor the running game in Buffalo during his stint there. Might be someone to look at for sure. It's vital they get a quality OC, Ben or no Ben.

Tomlin needs to once and for all, stop this garbage culture. Didn't he learn after AB? JuJu dancing gone wild this season, and his trash talk before the loss, and now I see a Claypool tweet trashing the Browns after being embarrassed.

Maybe it's just me and my old school ways, and maybe I just don't get the new generation of players that always resort to these actions. Respect, and being humble, seem too much now.
While I too would much rather you respect each other you think old school ways guys were respectful and humble? They tried to kill one another :)  I think guys had actual hate towards other teams :)

Last edited by a moderator:
While I too would much rather you respect each other you think old school ways guys were respectful and humble? They tried to kill one another :)  I think guys had actual hate towards other teams :)
True, some rivalries in the old days were nasty. Any beef used to be settled on the field, LOL

belljr said:
Players have always been the same, they just have access to a worldwide audience at all times now. The 24/7 coverage also brings much more to light. People complain when people get into an accident or slight trouble in the offseason... the Steelers had a guy lead the cops on a car chase, then shot a cop with a shotgun, and he played for the Steelers later that season because Rooney vouched for him. 

Players are human, they've made stupid mistakes and said stupid stuff for all time, they're just caught on camera/tweeting more than ever before. 

Per NFL Network, Steelers expected to promote Matt Canada to OC.
Also, numerous reports that "Steelers organization expects Big Ben to return and wants him to return." Not sure how verified these are, but it appears like it's more likely than not that Ben is back next year. If that's the case I highly doubt we keep him at his current salary and sign him to voidable years to spread out the hit. Not great for 2022 and beyond, but I guess they're trying for another last chance. 

Yes I agree that it is more likely that Ben returns if Canada is OC.  They have lots of work to do so reducing that cap hit will be paramount.

Aside from extending Watt, the priority needs to be on offensive line and running back.  

Also, numerous reports that "Steelers organization expects Big Ben to return and wants him to return." Not sure how verified these are, but it appears like it's more likely than not that Ben is back next year. If that's the case I highly doubt we keep him at his current salary and sign him to voidable years to spread out the hit. Not great for 2022 and beyond, but I guess they're trying for another last chance. 
Not sure why they think they have a prayer with this team. They have one of the worst olines in the league. I for one can't wait to see ANOTHER  late season collapse and no playoff appearance or an embarrassing one.But with their division I cant see them making the playoffs.  But tomlin has great regular season record, so lets keep him on board. I'm sure there will be more players he will ignore for ridiculous on field/off field bs. But hey, he's a players coach. Give me a break, so sick of this SAME garbage every year.

Ya, and he reportedly asked for JuJu back. It's time to move on. Enough of this already. They need to open up some cap room, and build that line back to an acceptable standard.

Not sure why they think they have a prayer with this team. They have one of the worst olines in the league. I for one can't wait to see ANOTHER  late season collapse and no playoff appearance or an embarrassing one.But with their division I cant see them making the playoffs.  But tomlin has great regular season record, so lets keep him on board. I'm sure there will be more players he will ignore for ridiculous on field/off field bs. But hey, he's a players coach. Give me a break, so sick of this SAME garbage every year.
This is what the Steelers have become. Good enough in the regular season, in part because the Bengals and Browns have been so bad for so long. Only 3 playoff wins in the last 10 years against teams led by Alex Smith, AJ McCarron, and Mat Moore, 0 wins in the last 4 years and 2 bad losses as big home favorites. The regular season success is far from guaranteed going forward with the division getting so much better and the AFC having Mahomes and Allen too.

An aging QB showing huge signs of decline, no playmakers at RB, a weak OL, and an exposable secondary if the front 7 doesn't get pressure. This isn't a team that's 1 or 2 players away, and I really hope they don't extend Ben just to reduce his cap hit in 2021. 

This is all speculation based on rumors from sources "within the organization", also lots of the reports of Ben returning seem based around what Tomlin said, and he didn't sound 100% confident Ben would be back. I'm going to reserve judgement until all the chips fall, but if they bring back Ben and make other suspect decisions that ruin our Cap situation for the next 5 years, I'll be pretty disappointed. 

I would like to see Juju come back if possible, but I just can't picture a way that we can reasonably afford it. I think that for all his Tik Toks a lot of fans don't see the positive aspects to what he brings to the team. He works very hard for Pittsburgh, both on and off the field, and is the vet of the WR room at just 24 years old. I think that the offensive scheme under utilized him in the passing attack and should use him more in intermediate and deep routes, even if he is primarily in the slot. He's definitely the most sure-handed receiver we have and the most likely to come up with the clutch play. 

The next 2 years is a chance for the Steelers to get out of cap hell and revamp the team, but it sounds like we're stuck in the mentality of the post-Super Bowl era when we kept the team together for too long. 

This is all speculation based on rumors from sources "within the organization", also lots of the reports of Ben returning seem based around what Tomlin said, and he didn't sound 100% confident Ben would be back. I'm going to reserve judgement until all the chips fall, but if they bring back Ben and make other suspect decisions that ruin our Cap situation for the next 5 years, I'll be pretty disappointed. 

I would like to see Juju come back if possible, but I just can't picture a way that we can reasonably afford it. I think that for all his Tik Toks a lot of fans don't see the positive aspects to what he brings to the team. He works very hard for Pittsburgh, both on and off the field, and is the vet of the WR room at just 24 years old. I think that the offensive scheme under utilized him in the passing attack and should use him more in intermediate and deep routes, even if he is primarily in the slot. He's definitely the most sure-handed receiver we have and the most likely to come up with the clutch play. 

The next 2 years is a chance for the Steelers to get out of cap hell and revamp the team, but it sounds like we're stuck in the mentality of the post-Super Bowl era when we kept the team together for too long
This is what I fear the most, and I can't shake this nagging feeling they're about to continue to operate with the win-now mentality despite the glaring weaknesses on their roster. The time is now to begin the post-Ben process, and begin operating with some cap space.

As for JuJu, I don't mind him coming back, but the Steelers can't afford him at the current market price of 15-18k. He's a sure handed receiver, but is not an Alpha, as was proven after Brown departed. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Bill-Cowher-turned-worst-running-game-into-15-1-in-2004-Mike-Tomlin-can-do-something-similar-with-a-new-offense-159369372/

Much of what he says about getting back to running, and a PA system, is exactly what we need. These young offensive football minds around the league are running this type of zone-scheme run, misdirection, PA-style offenses to success. Look at LaFleur, Shanny, and McVay for starters. All from the underrated coaching tree of Mike Shanahan, who mastered the art of zone schemes, and all his students have now continued it with a few wrinkles added in. Tannehill went from nobody to somebody with just a change of schemes. Jimmy G and Goff are average QBs who found success playing under these systems. Why we went this spread garbage this season is beyond me, but I'm sure Ben played a part in it. He's always trying to get more control, but now is the time to say thank you for everything, but it's time we move in a different direction.

Ya, and he reportedly asked for JuJu back. It's time to move on. Enough of this already. They need to open up some cap room, and build that line back to an acceptable standard.
He did not really ask for JuJu back. He got asked about JuJu and said some complimentary things and added that he hoped he could speak for the fans and say we don't want him going anywhere.

I would put that in the "what else is he supposed to say" category.

Between cap space, how good we draft WR's and strength of another WR class I'm putting the odds we resign JuJu at 0%.

I would like to see Juju come back if possible, but I just can't picture a way that we can reasonably afford it.
FWIW Kaboly wrote an article a few days ago where he seemed to think booting Fichtner aside might be the Steelers way of pushing Ben out the door. He said this again yesterday when Canada was promoted. If we got local media speculating on him still returning I'd say it's still up in the air.

As for JuJu I really like him but I'm good with them letting him walk due to factors I said in previous post. Cap space, WR class this year, teams ability to draft WR.  But while this seems easy to say in hindsight I did feel this way last summer and that is I don't believe the Steelers have ever engaged him in serious extension talks. It's almost been a fait accompli since the end of the 2019 season that JuJu was going to walk. It probably would have ruffled Ben's feathers but in a case like that I think they should have explored his trade market last offseason instead of just letting him walk for what will likely draw back half of what the Rams got just for someone else hiring a minority GM from their staff.

The Texans donut have to trade him. 

-Mike Florio
From the recent article on ProFootballTalk lol. 

Sounds like Watson is much closer to the "I want out" end of the spectrum than the "I'm staying" end. That team could turn real ugly real fast if they force him to stay. 

Again, highly doubt the Steelers make the trade necessary to make that happen. Makes me wish Bill O'Brien was still in charge, we could have gotten him for Ben and a 1st. 

I think it is still up in the air as far as Ben returning. If Ben retires they can lessen the cap hit by $19 million I think.  If he comes back they’re going to need to reduce that cap space which probably means a 1 or 2 year extension.

I would love to have JuJu back but can’t see how they afford him in any case.  The o-line is fo for a major overhaul and I’m guessing both  Pouncey and Villanueva are gone. Vance McDonald is gone too. 

Conner will likely sign elsewhere but it won’t be for big money so if they want him back it can probably happen.  He is only a role player though do they desperately need an upgrade.

I think the first 4 rounds need at least 2 offensive linemen and a RB.

I think it is still up in the air as far as Ben returning. If Ben retires they can lessen the cap hit by $19 million I think.  If he comes back they’re going to need to reduce that cap space which probably means a 1 or 2 year extension.

I would love to have JuJu back but can’t see how they afford him in any case.  The o-line is fo for a major overhaul and I’m guessing both  Pouncey and Villanueva are gone. Vance McDonald is gone too. 

Conner will likely sign elsewhere but it won’t be for big money so if they want him back it can probably happen.  He is only a role player though do they desperately need an upgrade.

ETA:  after looking at the 2021 cap situation things are worse than I thought.  

ETA:  after looking at the 2021 cap situation things are worse than I thought.  
Yeah, we need multiple cuts just to reach the Cap, let alone sign rookies/FAs. That said, it's possible that the Cap is higher than the expected low of $175 million, but nobody knows right now. 

I 100% agree, but if there's a top OT, C, LB, or TE (Pitts) available at our pick, and we take RB, I'll be incredibly disappointed. I think any RB would struggle behind our current line and I'd much rather take Javonte Williams in day 2 and a top OT, then Harris/Etienne and a worse OT. 

Lots of mocks are sending Harris our way in the 1st, and with all our needs that just seems short sighted. 

Yeah, we need multiple cuts just to reach the Cap, let alone sign rookies/FAs. That said, it's possible that the Cap is higher than the expected low of $175 million, but nobody knows right now. 

I 100% agree, but if there's a top OT, C, LB, or TE (Pitts) available at our pick, and we take RB, I'll be incredibly disappointed. I think any RB would struggle behind our current line and I'd much rather take Javonte Williams in day 2 and a top OT, then Harris/Etienne and a worse OT. 

Lots of mocks are sending Harris our way in the 1st, and with all our needs that just seems short sighted. 
In general I agree with you, the offensive line should come first but I guess it all comes down to who is on the board when you pick vs who you think will be there for your later picks.  They're likely going to need help at defensive back too.

The cap situation will look better with V McDonald and E Ebron gone. That would be $11.2 million
of space cleared. If M Pouncey retires that's another $8 million. Those 3 would be 19.2 mill against
the $21 mill that the Steelers are over the cap.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-steelers-promoting-matt-canada-falls-under-status-quo-definition-of-insanity/

I hope he's wrong, but some things look eerily similar to the past. 

Watch other NFL playoff teams execute their offense. They’re playing chess. The Steelers play checkers. Simple can be good. With the Steelers’ offense, it isn’t. The Steelers ran less play-action than any team in the league. Roethlisberger averaged 3 air yards per completion. Dead people fall forward farther.

But if you prefer old school, the quarterback sneak was on prominent display in the Divisional Round. The Steelers have a 6-foot-5 QB who gains 2 yards by merely leaning north, but won’t try a sneak at gunpoint.
All of that sad, yet true.

I removed the year 2020 from the title of this thread as I don't see much of a point in starting a new one for 2021.  If anyone feels differently let me know and I'll reinstate 2020 back into the title of this thread and someone can start a new one for 2021.

nightmare said:
The cap situation will look better with V McDonald and E Ebron gone. That would be $11.2 million
of space cleared. If M Pouncey retires that's another $8 million. Those 3 would be 19.2 mill against
the $21 mill that the Steelers are over the cap.
We're going to see a lot of articles/blog posts like this during the offseason: 5 Roster Moves That Instantly Save the Steelers $45 Million

• Big Ben - $19 million
  • Joe Haden - $12.6 million
  • Ebron - $6 million
  • Vance - $5.2 million
  • Getting rid of these 4 would get us from $199.5 million, to $156.5 million. We also have $6 million in cap space rolling over. And the most recently alleged new cap is $180 million. So that would give us ~$30 million to work with. If we keep Ben and get rid of the others, we have just $11 million to work with. 
  • Pouncey - He's already been moved off our Cap on Spotrac (Dead Cap Hit of $6.5 million)
I don't know that they'll get rid of Ben or Haden or Ebron, but at this point Vance and Pouncey seem like done deals (Cut/Retirement). I would rather the Steelers cut/trade Nelson to save $8 million, than get rid of Haden who played much better this year. They should not extend Haden, he's fast approaching the end of his career imo. 

The 4th highest contract we have signed through 2022 is Boswell, that goes to show how many players we need to resign. 

This offseason should include resigning Watt and Minkah, with those contracts heavily loaded into 2022 and beyond. The next TV contract is expected to be huge and to lift the cap significantly. 

Recent mock had Steelers trading up for Trey Lance, QB out of North Dakota. Idk much about him except 6' 4" and fast.

Also, recent reporting says that Canada is not necessarily going to be OC, contrary to recent reporting. Interviews have not been publicly released, but the Steelers would have to talk to minority candidates before making a hire. I'm not sure how I feel about Canada, but likewise I'm not sure who I'd rather have. I think Pep Hamilton could be interesting. And I think Anthony Lynn could help our running game. 

We're going to see a lot of articles/blog posts like this during the offseason: 5 Roster Moves That Instantly Save the Steelers $45 Million

• Big Ben - $19 million
  • Joe Haden - $12.6 million
  • Ebron - $6 million
  • Vance - $5.2 million
  • Getting rid of these 4 would get us from $199.5 million, to $156.5 million. We also have $6 million in cap space rolling over. And the most recently alleged new cap is $180 million. So that would give us ~$30 million to work with. If we keep Ben and get rid of the others, we have just $11 million to work with. 
  • Pouncey - He's already been moved off our Cap on Spotrac (Dead Cap Hit of $6.5 million)
I don't know that they'll get rid of Ben or Haden or Ebron, but at this point Vance and Pouncey seem like done deals (Cut/Retirement). I would rather the Steelers cut/trade Nelson to save $8 million, than get rid of Haden who played much better this year. They should not extend Haden, he's fast approaching the end of his career imo. 

The 4th highest contract we have signed through 2022 is Boswell, that goes to show how many players we need to resign. 

This offseason should include resigning Watt and Minkah, with those contracts heavily loaded into 2022 and beyond. The next TV contract is expected to be huge and to lift the cap significantly. 
Well said.    I am of the opinion they need to make all of these moves and maybe a few restructures to clear as much cap space you can and then try to fill the holes with what you've got left.

Obviously the toughest call here is Ben.  I can't see the Steelers outright cutting him but nor do I see any way to pay the $40+ million he is due.  He'll either retire or they'll need to do some kind of magic to lessen his 2021 hit.

Obviously the toughest call here is Ben.  I can't see the Steelers outright cutting him but nor do I see any way to pay the $40+ million he is due.  He'll either retire or they'll need to do some kind of magic to lessen his 2021 hit.
Right after the game when I saw him and Pouncey on the bench I thought 0 chance he or Pouncey comes back. I still think Pouncey retires, but I'm not so sure about Ben. $19 million dollars is a lot to walk away from, and he played decent for large stretches of the year (and terribly for other stretches). 

I think if the Steelers hire Canada, it's partially because Ben is coming back. If the Steelers go outside for OC, I'd expect Ben to leave. Also, if the Steelers are targeting Fields or Lance in the draft I think they keep Big Ben so that they can sit for a year and learn/grow as QBs.

Right after the game when I saw him and Pouncey on the bench I thought 0 chance he or Pouncey comes back. I still think Pouncey retires, but I'm not so sure about Ben. $19 million dollars is a lot to walk away from, and he played decent for large stretches of the year (and terribly for other stretches). 

I think if the Steelers hire Canada, it's partially because Ben is coming back. If the Steelers go outside for OC, I'd expect Ben to leave. Also, if the Steelers are targeting Fields or Lance in the draft I think they keep Big Ben so that they can sit for a year and learn/grow as QBs.
They pick about 25 spots too low to be targeting those QB's.

I saw a mock with the Steelers trading up to the 10th pick to get Lance.  I guess they did for Bush and they traded their #1 for Minkah but I just don't see it happening but what do I know?
I doubt 10 is high enough. I don't think they can reasonably even trade up to 10. I would think that would take at least 1st, 3rd and next years 1st.

Users who are viewing this thread