What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (4 Viewers)

Losing Alualu is a huge loss for that defense. Kind of flew under the radar what a fantastic season he had last year.

Defense taking it on the chin today.   The draft just got a whole lot harder to predict now...
It's going to be interesting to see where the Steelers' money will go, because 2 years $6 million should have been a no-brainer for Alualu. Unless they know something us fans don't, the backup DTs let the run game fall apart when Alualu was out. 

Based on our losses, I think that Defense is very much in play early in this draft, but the talent might align with us taking OT in the 1st, and defense after that. Unless they want to take LB early to try and make the middle of the D very strong. 

So far, happy we resigned Sutton, and disappointed in the rest. Haven't seen confirmation of the Banner signing, but I'd be happy about that too. Not shocked that Feiler left, he was a great RT and an ok LG, whoever made that decision is not good at watching tape...

Seems like a lot.
The only info I can find about it makes it seem like a $3 mil deal for 2021, and $6 mil for 2022 with only $1.5 mil guaranteed for 2022. $3 mil isn't much for a LT (or RT?), and if he works out and is solid, neither is $6 mil for next year. 

But I think Alualu at $9 mil helps our team more next year. I wonder if he wanted to go play with Lawrence and Urban, and thinks they might be better than the Steelers in the short term...

Vince Williams released
That saves $4 million against the cap. Kinda did him dirty by not releasing him before Monday so he could shop around. His cryptic tweet came true I guess, about the streets calling him. 

I'm not sure why they'd wait to release anyone, unless they went to him about a pay cut. Wonder if they're making room for a specific reason. 

Vince Williams released
Also, this increases my belief that the Steelers go LB early. If he's still on the board at our pick, I think Zaven Collins could def be our selection. And if the Steelers trade down to the end of the 1st, or early 2nd, Nick Bolton could be in play. He's not worth the 24th pick in my opinion. 

That saves $4 million against the cap. Kinda did him dirty by not releasing him before Monday so he could shop around. His cryptic tweet came true I guess, about the streets calling him. 

I'm not sure why they'd wait to release anyone, unless they went to him about a pay cut. Wonder if they're making room for a specific reason. 
I am wondering if JuJu or Al came back to the Steelers with a number after seeing what their market was and the Steelers are making room for one of them.

Also, this increases my belief that the Steelers go LB early. If he's still on the board at our pick, I think Zaven Collins could def be our selection. And if the Steelers trade down to the end of the 1st, or early 2nd, Nick Bolton could be in play. He's not worth the 24th pick in my opinion. 
At this point it could be any position.

Agreed.  I do think the odds of drafting a LB went up significantly today although they still need help on the offensive line, RB and secondary.  Even a NT or TE.
If they think Christian Barmore is going to be an All-Pro NT, I wouldn't hate taking him at 24. I know he's probably a 2-down guy, but I think that he's really freakin talented. 

I wouldn't have minded Collins as their pick at 24 before any of the offseason stuff happened.  May be starting to pull for it now.  As iffy as the OL looks, they are now ludicrously thin at LB as of this date.

Last edited by a moderator:
We literally could draft every position out there.  There are holes, no real "next man up" or depth issues potentially at every position.  

Dline is aging and lacks depth

No depth at LB

Heir to Haden?  No depth

Edmonds likely gone after this year.  Nobody behind him.

No heir to Ben (Haskins??)

No RB

Ebron last year and nobody behind him

Oline has Dotson and DeCastro -- need new C and depth all over and potentially a new starting T

WR is the best room, even without JuJu. I'd rather sign Golden Tate or someone cheap and use picks to draft other spots, but then again we are SO good at drafing WRs, so I trust the team to find a stud if a late one is there this year.

OLB/WR/O-Line/CB/S/QB

Everything we've drafted recently are still needs...
Drafting a G or T in the 4th round or higher since 2012 has led them to the current issues up front. It might be time to change philosophy, especially since the last 4 seasons have produced 2 playoff one-and-done games at home. 

Drafting a G or T in the 4th round or higher since 2012 has led them to the current issues up front. It might be time to change philosophy, especially since the last 4 seasons have produced 2 playoff one-and-done games at home. 
They went heavy on O-line for a few years and netted DeCastro and Pouncey, I wouldn't be surprised if they do so again in the next few years, especially to protect Ben and any new QB. Strength in the trenches leads to success in January/February. 

It made no sense to me for the Ravens to cut him with minimal cap savings. He's been a solid veteran contributor for them in the middle and special teams. 

I would take him back at that price in a heartbeat.

Packing up, I hope.   I love JuJu but they have too many holes at other positions.
I don't know.  He is still only 24 and plays the game hard, blocks, makes tough catches.  Him, Claypool, and Johnson are a formidable trio.  Of course, it won't matter if the line can't protect or run block.  But I would rather have JuJu than not.

I don't know.  He is still only 24 and plays the game hard, blocks, makes tough catches.  Him, Claypool, and Johnson are a formidable trio.  Of course, it won't matter if the line can't protect or run block.  But I would rather have JuJu than not.
I'm fully of the opinion that Fichtner was the reason for Juju's regression in stats, and not Juju himself. When targeted, he put up #s, and he was no longer allowed to operate on the outside. He played decently from the slot, but he's the type of WR who should be used with more flexibility and moved all over. There's rumors that the Steelers are trying to re-sign Big Al; I'll be so incredibly disappointed if they sign Big-Al, and it would have just taken a few more million to re-sign Juju. 

I can't tell who the offense mis-used more, Juju or Feiler. Feiler played excellent at RT, and they kicked him in to LG where he wasn't as strong. 

I'm fully of the opinion that Fichtner was the reason for Juju's regression in stats, and not Juju himself. When targeted, he put up #s, and he was no longer allowed to operate on the outside. He played decently from the slot, but he's the type of WR who should be used with more flexibility and moved all over. There's rumors that the Steelers are trying to re-sign Big Al; I'll be so incredibly disappointed if they sign Big-Al, and it would have just taken a few more million to re-sign Juju. 

I can't tell who the offense mis-used more, Juju or Feiler. Feiler played excellent at RT, and they kicked him in to LG where he wasn't as strong. 
That rumor seems to have originated with John Clayton.  Who used to be the Gold Standard, but now I feel like everything he says is wrong.

As would I but not at the expense of filling holes at other positions that are of greater need.

I won't hate it if he is back but it is going to cost money that could be spent elsewhere or used to lock up TJ or Minkah to long term deals

As would I but not at the expense of filling holes at other positions that are of greater need.

I won't hate it if he is back but it is going to cost money that could be spent elsewhere or used to lock up TJ or Minkah to long term deals
The Steelers have plenty of $$ available in 2022 and beyond, if they fail to lock up Minkah or TJ, it's because they weren't ok with paying their asking price, not because it was unaffordable. 

Also, if they fail to extend TJ this offseason, that's almost criminal neglect... Minkah at least has a 5th year option for next year. 

Users who are viewing this thread