Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The ***OFFICIAL*** Pittsburgh Steelers Thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Fair enough. I think that some of those are from earlier in the week, but the ratio seems right, the mocks coming in with Najee are still overwhelming. Fantasy Pros compilation of expert mocks has Najee in 70% as the Steelers 1st pick. 

Based on where Colbert and Tomlin visited together, the pick will be one of:

  • Najee Harris
  • Landon Dickerson
  • Alex Leatherwood
  • Jaylen Waddle
  • DeVonta Smith
  • Patrick Surtain II
  • Mac Jones
  • Christian Barmore
  • Travis Etienne
  • Azeez Ojulari
  • Eric Stokes
  • Tyson Campbell
  • Asante Samuel Jr
  • Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
  • Liam Eichenberg
  • Justin Fields
  • Kwity Paye
  • Jalen Mayfield
  • Micah Parsons
  • Jayson Oweh

A handful of these players are expected to go top 15, but you never know what could happen. And another bunch are expected to be 2nd rounders, but the Steelers have reached in the past if they have them high on their big board. 

The Steelers are apparently also very high on Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn (projected 4th round). 

Rumors and speculation surrounds Zaven Collins and Tevin Jenkins, but Colbert and Tomlin didn't attend their pro-days, so that would be going against the historical precedent. They did have video calls with Darrisaw and Farley, but couldn't attend the V-Tech pro day because they were at Michigan's pro day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was my mock for what is worth.  Not sure how realistic it is and obviously a needs draft but here it is:

1 (24) RB Najee Harris, Alabama
2 (55) C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
3 (87) OT Jaylen Mayfield, Michigan
4 (128) LB Chazz Surratt, North Carolina
4 (140) CB Ambry Thomas, Michigan
6 (216) TE Kyle Granson, SMU
7 (245) WR Tevon Grimes, Florida
7 (254) LB Nick Neiman, Iowa

I have a feeling you guys will hate it!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Fair enough. I think that some of those are from earlier in the week, but the ratio seems right, the mocks coming in with Najee are still overwhelming. Fantasy Pros compilation of expert mocks has Najee in 70% as the Steelers 1st pick. 

Based on where Colbert and Tomlin visited together, the pick will be one of:

  • Najee Harris
  • Landon Dickerson
  • Alex Leatherwood
  • Jaylen Waddle
  • DeVonta Smith
  • Patrick Surtain II
  • Mac Jones
  • Christian Barmore
  • Travis Etienne
  • Azeez Ojulari
  • Eric Stokes
  • Tyson Campbell
  • Asante Samuel Jr
  • Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
  • Liam Eichenberg
  • Justin Fields
  • Kwity Paye
  • Jalen Mayfield
  • Micah Parsons
  • Jayson Oweh

A handful of these players are expected to go top 15, but you never know what could happen. And another bunch are expected to be 2nd rounders, but the Steelers have reached in the past if they have them high on their big board. 

The Steelers are apparently also very high on Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn (projected 4th round). 

Rumors and speculation surrounds Zaven Collins and Tevin Jenkins, but Colbert and Tomlin didn't attend their pro-days, so that would be going against the historical precedent. They did have video calls with Darrisaw and Farley, but couldn't attend the V-Tech pro day because they were at Michigan's pro day. 

I am leery that Tomlin/Colbert were not at OkST, but they do have a relationship with the program and apparently the Steelers did have people there and there was some kind of meeting with Jenkins -- not sure if virtual.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

This was my mock for what is worth.  Not sure how realistic it is and obviously a needs draft but here it is:

1 (24) RB Najee Harris, Alabama
2 (55) C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
3 (87) OT Jaylen Mayfield, Michigan
4 (128) LB Chazz Surratt, North Carolina
4 (140) CB Ambry Thomas, Michigan
6 (216) TE Kyle Granson, SMU
7 (245) WR Tevon Grimes, Florida
7 (254) LB Nick Neiman, Iowa

I have a feeling you guys will hate it!

 

Solid value in the 2nd and 3rd round, both guys could go in the top 50 picks. Definitely a needs-based draft, but wouldn't hate it. Unless Browns got Owusu-Koramoah and Ravens got Zaven Collins and both of them wreaked havoc on us for the next 10 years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Final mock drafts (assuming no last-minute leaks). What I think the Steelers will do assuming these players are still there, one draft RB 1st and one draft non-RB 1st:

24. Najee Harris, RB, Bama
55. Landon Dickerson, C, Bama (or other C if Dickerson gone)
87. Tommy Tremble, TE, Notre Dame
128. Spencer Brown, OT, Northern Iowa
140. Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn
216. Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, Appalachian St
246. Jonathan Cooper, Edge, Ohio St
254. Damar Hamlin, S, Pittsburgh

24. Asante Samuel Jr, CB, Florida St.
55. Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame
87. Trey Sermon, RB, Ohio St
128. Josh Myers, C, Ohio St
140. Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn
216. Hamsah Nasirildeen, S, Florida St
246. Elerson Smith, OLB, Northern Iowa
254. Tony Poljan, TE, UVA

What I think the Steelers should do:

24. Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa
55. Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
87. Walker Little, OT, Stanford
128. Trey Sermon, RB, Ohio St.
140. Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn
216. Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, App St.
246. Tre' McKitty, TE, Georgia
254. Jake Funk, RB, Maryland

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

This was my mock for what is worth.  Not sure how realistic it is and obviously a needs draft but here it is:

1 (24) RB Najee Harris, Alabama
2 (55) C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
3 (87) OT Jaylen Mayfield, Michigan
4 (128) LB Chazz Surratt, North Carolina
4 (140) CB Ambry Thomas, Michigan
6 (216) TE Kyle Granson, SMU
7 (245) WR Tevon Grimes, Florida
7 (254) LB Nick Neiman, Iowa

I have a feeling you guys will hate it!

 

Anytime you focus on need, you draft poorly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Not this year.  This is an all-in win now season.  Otherwise, why is Ben back?

I agree to a point, but need based picks are way more often flops.

Also there are a ton of positions that help you win now in Pittsburgh (RB, TE, LT, C, OLB, ILB, CB). Basically they should be in take BPA except a WR and DL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Not this year.  This is an all-in win now season.  Otherwise, why is Ben back?

Two reasons:

  1. After his pay cut/restructure the difference between keeping him and cutting him wasn't that big due to dead cap. It wouldn't make sense to cut him and then sign a mediocre QB, the pay cut changed everything. 
  2. The team thinks that the roster is pretty much there to compete for 1 more year. 

The team does think they can win now, but with so few players signed long term it would be unusually shortsighted to go all-in on this year, only for it to mostly fall apart 1 year later. BPA is the logical move, but Colbert could also be seeing this year as his last hurrah, so he could say F it and just go RB/C/CB and hit the highlights of immediate need. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, C & C said:

Hard to argue with that.

I would argue against OLB as our second biggest need. We need depth for sure but other positions need starters.

In fact I would mention The Athletic recently did a 2020 redraft and among beat writers and the Titans beat writer took Alex Highsmith in round one. Whether he deserves to go that high or not it's a decent sign the position is not barren. We just need depth.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, menobrown said:

I would argue against OLB as our second biggest need. We need depth for sure but other positions need starters.

In fact I would mention The Athletic recently did a 2020 redraft and among beat writers and the Titans beat writer took Alex Highsmith in round one. Whether he deserves to go that high or not it's a decent sign the position is not barren. We just need depth.

I am not as high on Highsmith as others are.  Liability in the run game and still learning how to rush.  Will he improve, sure, i guess I dont see his ceiling all that high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, C & C said:

I am not as high on Highsmith as others are.  Liability in the run game and still learning how to rush.  Will he improve, sure, i guess I dont see his ceiling all that high.

Again it's not about whether he's worth a first round pick or has a high ceiling. He has shown promise as being an adequate starter at least.  We have other positions I can't say that about. Those are bigger needs to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, C & C said:

I am not as high on Highsmith as others are.  Liability in the run game and still learning how to rush.  Will he improve, sure, i guess I dont see his ceiling all that high.

You have to remember he was a small school guy learning a new position with a short offseason. I didn't like the pick when he was drafted, but I was wrong. Not saying he gets there, but his ceiling is probably close to Dupree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

They need all of that and more.  It doesn't mean they can go into the season with Snell or McFarland as the feature back.

That’s their fault for not just bringing Conner back. As I have posted there are many, many RB trade options. A lot of which are former 1st, 2nd and 3rd round busts and have no worse a profile than Najee Harris. Drafting a RB is not the only option. Rumor of Ronald Jones being available to for another back I previously hadn’t mentioned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Instead we get this. What in the hell is Colbert doing this offseason?

Sources: The #Steelers are closing in on a 1-year extension with QB Mason Rudolph. Nothing done yet, but look for it soon for the Steelers’ backup. He’ll be signed through 2022.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Iceman03 said:

That’s their fault for not just bringing Conner back. As I have posted there are many, many RB trade options. A lot of which are former 1st, 2nd and 3rd round busts and have no worse a profile than Najee Harris. Drafting a RB is not the only option. Rumor of Ronald Jones being available to for another back I previously hadn’t mentioned. 

I am glad that Conner is not back.  I love the guy but he cannot be counted on to stay healthy.  Go into the season with Conner as the feature back and before you know it you're back to Snell.  

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

Instead we get this. What in the hell is Colbert doing this offseason?

Sources: The #Steelers are closing in on a 1-year extension with QB Mason Rudolph. Nothing done yet, but look for it soon for the Steelers’ backup. He’ll be signed through 2022.

Championship!

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I am glad that Conner is not back.  I love the guy but he cannot be counted on to stay healthy.  Go into the season with Conner as the feature back and before you know it you're back to Snell.  

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me

Ya I don’t disagree but at 1.25m you risk nothing to walk in the draft knowing you don’t have to force it is kind of my point. Now I feel like they’re boxed in a corner. 

They’re a team that doesn’t hide their intentions well either. It usually works out in the end but I still remember Baltimore snaking Maxx Williams from them. I could see the Bills or Jags doing the same if Pitt wants Etienne on the DL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

Instead we get this. What in the hell is Colbert doing this offseason?

Sources: The #Steelers are closing in on a 1-year extension with QB Mason Rudolph. Nothing done yet, but look for it soon for the Steelers’ backup. He’ll be signed through 2022.

If it's for more than $2.5 million, I'm going to be really disappointed in the Front Office. Rudolph is not the answer, he's just a mid-range backup QB. If we want to be mediocre and lose with a QB, let's just do it with Restricted Free Agent Dwayne "1st Round Pick" Haskins. It'll be less than $2.5 million. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, Aditi is reporting that the Steelers are almost certainly going with an Offensive player in the first round, and that Rooney could step in like he did with DeCastro. 

 

Not the best news coming out over the past 12 hours... We could be extending a mediocre QB and our Owner could be meddling with draft picks.

Edited by steelers1080
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the recent (and prior) buzz is that the Steelers love Najee and that he's the pick at 24 if he's there. Also rumors that the Cardinals, Dolphins, Jets, or Bills could take him before 24. There isn't a consensus #2 option if Najee is gone, lots of Etienne/Collins/OT/Dickerson. 

It would just be so weird if he's the pick at 24, the rumors have been swirling for months now and it just feels too obvious for draft season. 

 

It might be time to stop checking Draft Twitter... "Steelers interested in Fields if he falls to 24 and Harris is gone." Wut

Edited by steelers1080
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, crushedspirit said:

Darrisaw keeps dropping

Dominant tackle 

Sits atop my wish list right now but kind of torn. Figure if he makes it past these next few teams it might mean a medical issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JoeSteeler said:

Torn with what other player(s)?

Mainly just him in general, as in what might be wrong with him.

But I just saw your post, and that was a good question from Godsbrother because I was interested in who people wanted, so see you don't want Harris. I would want Harris if we can't get Darrisaw.But I would admit to having some selfish fantasy aspects that are no doubt messing with my mind a little. I would not at all mind Jenkins or a CB, but I'd prefer Harris if we don't go Darrisaw.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Mainly just him in general, as in what might be wrong with him.

But I just saw your post, and that was a good question from Godsbrother because I was interested in who people wanted, so see you don't want Harris. I would want Harris if we can't get Darrisaw.But I would admit to having some selfish fantasy aspects that are no doubt messing with my mind a little. I would not at all mind Jenkins or a CB, but I'd prefer Harris if we don't go Darrisaw.

I would really like them to trade down a couple picks regardless of who they take but most likely not going to happen. Then trade up in the 2nd to get Williams

just not a big Harris fan...would feel better about Etienne

 

Edited by JoeSteeler
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

I would really like them to trade down a couple picks regardless of who they take but most likely not going to happen. Then trade up in the 2nd to get Williams

just not a big Harris fan

 

Im fine trading down if they can pull it off

if not I think Harris is the kind of back they need but it looks like the top three are going to be there so maybe they roll the dice and go OT banking on the RB being there in the 2nd.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...