What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (15 Viewers)

Idk that he had much say in it. Didn't seem like a lot of teams were clamoring for his services. The NFL knows what kind of talent he is much better than the analysts. Some of them had him signing like 3-4 year deals with 10m per year. This size contract is much more his speed. 

Ravens being smart about comp picks, as per usual. 

Also, if Moore is any good, the Steelers should cut Haeg before the deadline. We're projected to get a 3rd, 5th, and 6th round comp pick, but with Haeg being a 7th we would lose the 6th. If he's not clearly a top backup, then the Steelers should move on. 
The deadline being when? Around week 7?
A couple years ago they cut Moncrief to preserve a comp pick.

why the heck would you trade a 4th round pick to get Loudermilk
i don't think anyone would.  my guess is that they jumped the gun and agreed to the trade while SF was still on the clock, thinking SF wouldn't take Jaylon Moore having already picked up Aaron Banks. (everything i saw projected Moore's best NFL fit at G) oops.  the Steelers showed a lot of interest in a few G's predraft, and had a virtual meeting with J. Moore, same as with K. Green and Dan Moore.  shifting to Loudermilk (who i actually liked), at that point is still baffling though.

i dont know if the scenario i just suggested is possible though. it would be really foolish to not just wait a couple more minutes or insert a "never mind" clause.

He doesn't seem poised to beat out Buggs or Davis here.
why not?  they apparently see something there even if they didn't set out to give up a 4th for him.

i don't think anyone would.  my guess is that they jumped the gun and agreed to the trade while SF was still on the clock, thinking SF wouldn't take Jaylon Moore having already picked up Aaron Banks. (everything i saw projected Moore's best NFL fit at G) oops.  the Steelers showed a lot of interest in a few G's predraft, and had a virtual meeting with J. Moore, same as with K. Green and Dan Moore.  shifting to Loudermilk (who i actually liked), at that point is still baffling though.

i dont know if the scenario i just suggested is possible though. it would be really foolish to not just wait a couple more minutes or insert a "never mind" clause.

why not?  they apparently see something there even if they didn't set out to give up a 4th for him.
Most everything they did was idiotic this year, so, par for the course. Took opt-outs off their board, draft a 23 y/o RB who didn’t athletic test, draft a TE that didn’t athletic test, forget how bad Jarvis Jones lack of athleticism burned you, finally take into account athleticism some when you draft an unnecessary off ball LB in the 4th. Then burn next years 4th for a dude who probably would have went undrafted, has the athleticism of a wooden post and failed to produce in any meaningful way in college. Seriously the Cam Heyward comp is a joke. Heyward had 37.5 tackles for loss in college. The only way this draft could have been worse is if they would have taken a FB somewhere in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Athletic tests are wayyyy overrated.  I'd rather take a guy that performs on the field than some guy that looks good during a workout.

The fact that so many here hate the draft gives me hope this might be one of their better ones. 

Athletic tests are wayyyy overrated.  I'd rather take a guy that performs on the field than some guy that looks good during a workout.

The fact that so many here hate the draft gives me hope this might be one of their better ones. 
No they are not. Not when you have had four years of opportunity to do them and can’t break a 20 yard run to save your life. Get out of here. You probably had the same defense of Jarvis Jones. Yet, we fawn and desire the Shaziers, Watts, Bush’s, Claypools and  Fitzpatricks on the team. Athleticism matters in athletics and I shouldn’t have to say that. You draft a guy shaped and molded like a fullback or a slow version of TJ Yeldon and that’s exactly what you’re going to get. 

No they are not. Not when you have had four years of opportunity to do them and can’t break a 20 yard run to save your life. Get out of here. You probably had the same defense of Jarvis Jones. Yet, we fawn and desire the Shaziers, Watts, Bush’s, Claypools and  Fitzpatricks on the team. Athleticism matters in athletics and I shouldn’t have to say that. You draft a guy shaped and molded like a fullback or a slow version of TJ Yeldon and that’s exactly what you’re going to get. 
ok

There were no exact matches for this player's testing.

close Match for metrics = David Buehler, PK, Southern California, 2009.

close Match for metrics = Caleb Campbell, LB, Army, 2008.

close Match for metrics = Kevan Barlow, RB, Pittsburgh, 2001.
Uh, ok… cool. It’s who you want him to be but he couldn’t be bothered to run one damn 40 because he’s slow as molasses. He’s the least deserving 1st round RB in the last 20 years with the exception of maybe Sony Michel. 

I’m off it. Gonna ban myself from saying Najee Harris in this thread anymore unless it’s to say: I was wrong… and I sincerely hope I am. As much as I don’t respect wasting draft capital on RB, I always did enjoy the play of Lev Bell.

Big Al taking a shot at the Steelers during his first press conference. It's ok Al, we all know you're a meh tackle who can't run block. Can't wait for you to face Watt and fall over yourself trying to keep up with his speed. 

Big Al taking a shot at the Steelers during his first press conference. It's ok Al, we all know you're a meh tackle who can't run block. Can't wait for you to face Watt and fall over yourself trying to keep up with his speed. 
I think he was a divisive presence on the team and that's as deep as I want to discuss that subject here and combining that with his play last year I was glad the decision was made to move on.

Do we think Marcus Allen is permanently at ILB now?  Steelersdepot has Allen making the 53 over Vince Williams, and I just dont see that as a good thing unless VWill looks terrible in camp somehow.  

Do we think Marcus Allen is permanently at ILB now?  Steelersdepot has Allen making the 53 over Vince Williams, and I just dont see that as a good thing unless VWill looks terrible in camp somehow.  
I think Allen makes it as a LB/S combo, and that the team rolls with 3 OLBs on the active roster. The depth behind Roche is suspect. 

Steelers 2021 Win/Loss Estimate:

• Ravens - W/L
  • Bengals - W/L
  • Browns - W/L
  • Bills - L
  • Bears - W
  • Broncos - W (Unless Aaron Rodgers)
  • Lions - W
  • Packers - L (Unless Rodgers to other team)
  • Chiefs - L
  • Raiders - W
  • Chargers - W
  • Vikings - L
  • Seahawks - L
  • Titans - W
9-8, not great but possibly playoff worthy since 7 teams get in. I think we go 3-3 in the division, it could be due to 2 sweeps and a split, but I just estimated 3 splits. All 3 teams are improved, but we can beat most teams when at home. 

The Bills and Chiefs are still contenders for the AFC Championship (assuming Allen's glow up isn't just due to stadiums being empty), I don't think our improved running game will allow us to beat them if their teams are mostly healthy. I think we beat the rest of the AFC West unless A-aron joins one of their teams, the Chargers are overrated and Herbert will have a tougher 2nd season IMO. 

I think we split Titans/Seahawks, if they let Russ cook then we could be in trouble, but if they go Run-heavy I think we beat them. 

Overall, not as confident as last year, we'll see what happens when I revisit after training camp hype. I'm hopeful that the league (and me) is underestimating how improved the Steelers offense will look when Matt Canada is calling plays instead of Randy. Hopefully his new offense creates tons of points and keeps Ben healthy. 

I think they are better than last year.  Replacing Nelson/Hilton is the issue.  Hopefully Sutton makes the leap and there is one more move left this off-season.  

The video from last year makes me even more worried about our running game this year. Najee was good at Bama, but Snell and Conner were running with defenders in the backfield so often last year. The main reason for pessimism is that the Steelers offensive line is unproven and could be terrible. The reasons for optimism are that the offensive line has been mostly retooled with the center 3 looking pretty solid if Green is able to transition to the NFL quickly. Dotson, Green, and DeCastro could be nasty in the middle. The main concern is with the Tackle positions with Banner and Chuks, maybe Chuks is more natural as a LT, and hopefully Banner is fully healthy. If defenders are able to slip into the backfield as easily as they were last year, not even a top 5 RB would have produced. 

I hear what you're saying and share your concern but I think the offensive line is going to be much better.  I also think that the change in offensive coordinator is going to have a positive effect on the running game.   Finally I think a hobbled Conner and Bennie Snell aren't in the same league as Harris.

Godsbrother said:
I hear what you're saying and share your concern but I think the offensive line is going to be much better.  I also think that the change in offensive coordinator is going to have a positive effect on the running game.   Finally I think a hobbled Conner and Bennie Snell aren't in the same league as Harris.
If the O-line is vastly improved, and the scheme doesn't allow the opponents to just crowd the line, then this will be a moot point. 

But if prime Gurley couldn't find room behind that bad o-line in St. Louis, then Najee won't in Pittsburgh. 

If the O-line is vastly improved, and the scheme doesn't allow the opponents to just crowd the line, then this will be a moot point. 

But if prime Gurley couldn't find room behind that bad o-line in St. Louis, then Najee won't in Pittsburgh. 
(fingers-in-ears) LA LA LA LAAAA, I don't hear you!

This is the off-season, all teams are Super Bowl contenders at this point.  

(fingers-in-ears) LA LA LA LAAAA, I don't hear you!

This is the off-season, all teams are Super Bowl contenders at this point.  
You know what, you're right. It's the offseason, anything is possible. We had a very similar team last year, just with holes at different positions, and we somehow went 12-4 even with a terrible OC and Ben not being able to accurately throw the deep ball after week 3, AND we had 0 bye week. Plan for this season:

1. Improve run game by overpaying for talented RB - Check
  2. Keep consistency in the WR Room - Check
  3. Improve O-line through new personnel and coaching - Check?
  4. Improve TE situation - Check
  5. Improve OC play calling - Check
  6. Lose a CB in Free Agency and Cut a starter - Check
  7. It'll be ok because of Sutton and James Pierre - Check
  8. Browns gonna Brown and Ravens can't pass - Pending

If they can add a DECENT vet CB snd EDGE I would feel pretty good about this team. The overall depth is still scary though.

Steelers - Bills week 1. Opening line is Bills -7. Not surprising, but at this point I'd take the Steelers +7. Wouldn't be shocked if our D is solid and we're able to run the clock with rushing and short passes. 

Also, Allen's only good year was one where there was no fans in the stands. I'm still not sold that he's amazing now. 

Steelers - Bills week 1. Opening line is Bills -7. Not surprising, but at this point I'd take the Steelers +7. Wouldn't be shocked if our D is solid and we're able to run the clock with rushing and short passes. 

Also, Allen's only good year was one where there was no fans in the stands. I'm still not sold that he's amazing now. 
speaking of fans, has the NFL made a decision on fans for this year?

I think Allen is pretty good but time will tell.    As for the matchup, it is going to be tough to beat the Bills on the road but if they can pull the upset it would be a great way to start the season.

I heard the Steelers will play the Packers week 4 in Green Bay on October 3.    That would be a fun game to go to.

If they can add a DECENT vet CB snd EDGE I would feel pretty good about this team. The overall depth is still scary though.
Is Brian Poole still kicking around out there?  Think he'd be a really solid get to play slot.  He'd get semi-abused if he's forced outside, but he's been a really, really good slot CB for a couple/three years now.

ETA: Checked. He's still a FA.

With the schedule Steelers have. I hope a college QB prospect emerges for them to draft because it's going to be a looooong year. 

Based on the outcome of the draft I'll be a little surprised if the Steelers don't extend DeCastro and Haden, since we didn't appear to get replacements for next year. The Steelers got a lot of solid dart throws at CB late in the draft and in UDFA, but keeping Haden would help that group a lot. I'm fairly convinced that James Pierre or Justin Layne will be the 3rd CB, and that the team trusts one of Tre Norwood, Shakur Brown, or other UDFA to step into the depth role. Tre is flexible, right now he's listed as a SS on the depth chart, but he's one of those versatile players who can move around the defensive backfield. 

I'm hoping that Gilbert is finally healthy, and manages to stay on the field, because his instincts are great. He's just hurt all the time. 

I typically like going to a Steelers road game.  I'll be in Disney World for the opener so Buffalo is out but considering Green Bay (ticket prices are crazy already) or LA Chargers (would be nice to see the new stadium).

Steelers Schedule:

1. at Bills 
  2. Raiders
  3. Bengals
  4. at Packers
  5. Broncos
  6. Seahawks (Sunday Night)
  7. BYE
  8. at Browns
  9. Bears (Monday Night)
  10. Lions
  11. at Chargers (Sunday Night)
  12. at Bengals
  13. Ravens
  14. at Vikings (Thursday Night)
  15. Titans
  16. at Chiefs
  17. Browns (Monday Night)
  18. at Ravens
That last stretch of 6 games is brutal. Ravens at home, at Vikings, Titans at home, at Chiefs, Browns at home, at Baltimore, if we get through that 3-3 it'll be a miracle. If Aaron Rodgers holds out away from the Packers we could start the season 4-1! If not, then we likely start 3-3. 

I do love the 5 Primetime Games since I don't live in the Pittsburgh market, makes it easier to watch the games. Don't love the short week after a Ravens game to get to Minnesota, and the short week after the Browns game leading into the Ravens game. 

My main hope after seeing the schedule is that we can start really strong again this year. There's a stretch of teams that aren't expected to be great this year, Raiders, Bengals, Broncos, Bears, Lions, if we can win those games and mix in wins against tough opponents, we could set ourselves up well going into the 2nd half of the season. 

Steelers Schedule:

1. at Bills 
  2. Raiders
  3. Bengals
  4. at Packers
  5. Broncos
  6. Seahawks (Sunday Night)
  7. BYE
  8. at Browns
  9. Bears (Monday Night)
  10. Lions
  11. at Chargers (Sunday Night)
  12. at Bengals
  13. Ravens
  14. at Vikings (Thursday Night)
  15. Titans
  16. at Chiefs
  17. Browns (Monday Night)
  18. at Ravens
That last stretch of 6 games is brutal. Ravens at home, at Vikings, Titans at home, at Chiefs, Browns at home, at Baltimore, if we get through that 3-3 it'll be a miracle. If Aaron Rodgers holds out away from the Packers we could start the season 4-1! If not, then we likely start 3-3. 

I do love the 5 Primetime Games since I don't live in the Pittsburgh market, makes it easier to watch the games. Don't love the short week after a Ravens game to get to Minnesota, and the short week after the Browns game leading into the Ravens game. 

My main hope after seeing the schedule is that we can start really strong again this year. There's a stretch of teams that aren't expected to be great this year, Raiders, Bengals, Broncos, Bears, Lions, if we can win those games and mix in wins against tough opponents, we could set ourselves up well going into the 2nd half of the season. 
Yes as it stands right now this looks like a brutal schedule.  They better get off to a good start.   

Last 4 games are brutal, and playing 11 games in a row after the bye sets us up for a collapse like last year potentially.

If the secondary doesn't drop off (Sutton lives up to hype and we sign Poole or someone steps up at Slot-CB) then this defense is still top 5-10.

If the O-line is able to gel (and I think they will and are better than last year), then the offense really should be humming.  

Not sure what my expectations are, because I feel like we could get blown out in Buffalo and the tone for the season will be set and terrible, but then I also think we can be SB contenders.  Not sure I have been this all over the place about the Steelers before.

Not sure what my expectations are, because I feel like we could get blown out in Buffalo and the tone for the season will be set and terrible, but then I also think we can be SB contenders.  Not sure I have been this all over the place about the Steelers before.
I think this is the first season where I've been like 12-5 and 5-12 are reasonable possibilities.

Our offense could be phenomenal if Canada/Klemm can scheme so that the O-line isn't exposed, but also take advantage of the mid-range instead of just working 0-3 yards down field. Then opposing teams can't just stack the box to beat us. We were averaging almost 29 pts per game during the win streak, and allowing ~17 to opponents. After the win streak we averaged 23, and gave up over 28. Opponents copied the Ravens, stacked the box, and killed the short passes, and we never changed. 

Also, we lost Bush and Dupree, and Spillane who had stepped in. Our defense gave up more points and drastically decreased turnovers after week 12 last year when Dupree went down. 

With Bush, Watt, Minkah, Haden, and our D-line, we should have a very solid D. If any rookies/young players can step up and contribute, we should have a top 5 defense. Highsmith looked solid in limited time, but he'll have to improve to maintain our lethal pass rush. But with Watt across from him he should get much less attention. 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
They really should be moving to sign Poole, an Edge backup, and re-sign Dangerfield.
Poole is a "no brainer", IMO, at this point for how their draft went.   Unless he's expecting crazy money.....which he isn't going to get from anyone, let alone the Steelers.

Users who are viewing this thread