What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

There have been 89 breakthrough cases on COVID in Minnesota. Out of 800k fully vaccinated. Not sure why this is even news.
Yeah, that’s silly. The vaccine isn’t 100% effective, and I believe none of the breakthrough cases were particularly sick - even if they were, I’ll take those numbers.

ETA what everyone else said.

Last edited by a moderator:
OrganizedChaos said:
Excited to see that as of next week, I can get the vaccine in California. Notice a  number of places are possible sites. For those who have been getting it do you sign up for  pharmacies (cvs, Walgreens, etc) just to speed up the process in hopes of getting an appointment? Would hate to lose out on a vaccine just because I had to take more time to sign up. Also, can you sign up someone else (such as your wife) or only yourself? Have a feeling I may be trying out appointments at midnight.
I wouldn't mess with signing up as someone else.  

A friend who works in the industry is telling me there are handfuls of people in nursing homes, who are fully vaccinated, showing up with positive tests. 

This coincides I guess with that 89 cases out of 800,000 vaccinations referred to earlier in this thread.  

I wouldn't mess with signing up as someone else.  
I meant signing her up for her appointment. I might get up at midnight to sign up but my wife won’t and we want to get her vaccinated first. Looks like most sites allow you to sign up someone else for their shot but a couple require you to be registered on their site and looks like they use that information to determine if eligible.

Nobody anywhere has ever claimed that vaccines are 100% effective.  There are going to be a small number of fully-vaccinated people who still manage to contract covid.  We've always know that that would be the case.  This is not newsworthy.
Right. And it’s not sterilizing. 

That’s why it is too early to get rid of mask mandates etc until we are at least at 50% vaccinated and case count is below 10k/day. 

This is what we need more of.    More focus on positives, things you CAN do......as opposed to spending all of our time telling people that they need to double-mask the rest of their lives.  
Maybe, but what is the venn diagram of anti vax and people already doing whatever they want?

Leeroy Jenkins said:
City of Philadelphia launching a $1.5m vaccine hesitancy campaign. Focused on all the positive things you can do — showing people hugging, eating at restaurants etc. 

City of Philly has vaccinated 470,000 people so far
Wife and I fully vaccinated. This is exactly what we did yesterday. Visited a friend and his family, hugged the #### out of them. then went to a restaurant and had some drinks. It was glorious

Wife and I fully vaccinated. This is exactly what we did yesterday. Visited a friend and his family, hugged the #### out of them. then went to a restaurant and had some drinks. It was glorious
I am going to see my parents and pregnant sister for easter. Then like all of april I have appointments I have held off of (haircut, massage, dentist, dermatologist) and some interior home stuff (bathroom estimates, interior designer). Then May I intend to return to the gym and I have brunch reservations. Probably will stick to outside dining until summer when things are a little better statistically still, having young kids, with one potentially higher risk. Expect that I will be back in the office-hybrid and on public transit in August. Probably masked on the train though is my expectation.  

Wife is vaccinated...I get my 2nd shot this coming Wednesday.  Step mother is fully vaccinated.  She is coming to visit in May after not seeing her since December 2019.  She is definitely excited to see us and her oldest grandkids.

Also looking forward to a trip back up to WI to see her and the rest of my family this summer as most all are vaccinated now (except, oddly enough, my brother who has more health issues that most yet has struggled to get an appointment).

Nobody anywhere has ever claimed that vaccines are 100% effective.  There are going to be a small number of fully-vaccinated people who still manage to contract covid.  We've always know that that would be the case.  This is not newsworthy.
Was just about to post something similar.  We knew these vaccines weren’t 100% effective.  The only news is that this is proceeding as we would have expected based on the efficacy of the vaccines.  They are working in line with expectations.  THAT should be the news.

Was just about to post something similar.  We knew these vaccines weren’t 100% effective.  The only news is that this is proceeding as we would have expected based on the efficacy of the vaccines.  They are working in line with expectations.  THAT should be the news.
I think projected efficacy was 94% anc israel is seeing something like 97%. IMO That is absolutely remarkable given how quickly these were created. 

But even at 97% we're still going to have Millions of vaccinated Americans contract COVID. 

Despite the vaccine being pretty much 100% effective against severe disease, I'm sure we'll have some folks die as well. Law of large numbers in play here. 

These vaccines are, IMO, borderline miracles of modern science, however. 

Right. And it’s not sterilizing. 

That’s why it is too early to get rid of mask mandates etc until we are at least at 50% vaccinated and case count is below 10k/day. 
The sterilizing aspect is up for debate. Several ongoing studies are showing marked reductions in symptomatic and asymptomatic transmission 

The sterilizing aspect is up for debate. Several ongoing studies are showing marked reductions in symptomatic and asymptomatic transmission 
Yes, great data coming from Israel with high vaccination penetration. This still is more like a flu shot than a measles shot though. Just a really good one that hopefully just turns this into an uncommon cold (like how the russian “flu” of the 1800s is now our basic corona virus common cold). 

Yup.

@Leeroy Jenkins, ask that friend the follow-up question -- just how sick are the nursing-home folks getting from their post-vaccination COVID cases? Even here, there could be a tiny, tiny number whose bodies just could not make the antibodies and thus can still get full-blown COVID over and over until local herd immunity pushes down their risk. But much more common will be the vaccinated nursing-home folks whose bodies made just enough antibodies to keep COVID from running roughshod inside of them.

New CDC director seems a bit dramatic? I dont get it. Cases seems pretty flat to me. I understand they are not decreasing but with everything opening up and more and more people getting vacccinated I dont think flat means bad either.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Since we know folks will continue to get it we should still pay attention to new cases but really focus in on hospitalizations.  Theoretically the avg. age of new cases should be dropping and hospitalizations should continue to go down.  If that does happen then I agree that flat new case numbers isn't a huge concern at the moment but would be in say a month or two.

New CDC director seems a bit dramatic? I dont get it. Cases seems pretty flat to me. I understand they are not decreasing but with everything opening up and more and more people getting vacccinated I dont think flat means bad either.

The CDC doesn't use worldometer, their data shows the 7 day average is up over 10% in the last week. Hospitalizations also up some.

It was dumb to open everything up, waiting even just 2-3 more weeks would have saved a lot of illness (and lives).

Huge news on the vaccines though based on data from vaccinated first responders.  

Real-world evidence that the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines prevent infection, not just disease and death. - 80% effective against infection 14d after 1st dose but prior to 2nd dose - 90% effective against infection 14d after 2nd dose.

That has to mean same/similar effectiveness against transmission too.  This thing is OVER if people get the damn shots.

Huge news on the vaccines though based on data from vaccinated first responders.  

Real-world evidence that the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines prevent infection, not just disease and death. - 80% effective against infection 14d after 1st dose but prior to 2nd dose - 90% effective against infection 14d after 2nd dose.

That has to mean same/similar effectiveness against transmission too.  This thing is OVER if people get the damn shots.
And therein lies the problem.

jobarules said:

Seems very dramatic if you ask me.  If the vast majority of "at-risk" people are getting vaccinated, than covid-19 is getting less dangerous every single week.  We know covid will never be 100% eradicated.  But at some point "case counts" will not be nearly as important as they were a year ago.  

Seems very dramatic if you ask me.  If the vast majority of "at-risk" people are getting vaccinated, than covid-19 is getting less dangerous every single week.  We know covid will never be 100% eradicated.  But at some point "case counts" will not be nearly as important as they were a year ago.  
well I think the point is that the less circulating in the population, the less likely there is an eventual mutation that slips past the current vaccine iteration.  We are going to need boosters, I assume, but rather them be yearly or longer, than every 6 months.

Yep. Heck, the much ballyhooed Spanish Flu never went away. It just got a rebrand as H1N1 and comes back with some frequency -- including the well-known 2009 H1N1 epidemic in the U.S. The media wasn't reporting "cumulative Spanish Flu cases since 1918" even though it was the same virus.

Not sure if people are listening to Osterholm still, but his March 23rd podcast was pretty interesting.

Some highlights...

69% of people 65 or older have had at least one dose of vaccine. Second dose number steadily climbing, but the first dose number is only rising slowly now. 

Says that the spike up and rapid decline is inexplicable(this is at the roughly 11:15 mark) Says "there is no evidence of seasonality" 

Disagrees strongly with the change to 3ft guidance in schools but is still a strong proponent of in person schooling. 

Michigan has seen a drastic increase in cases.

B117 as high as 80% of new cases in many locations around the globe

Encourages socialization for fully vaccinated people together asap. Says he is already planning get togethers. 

He stressed that is for vaccinated people and dont be dumb right now and be the guy that dies a few days before vaccine appointment. 

Says the AZ vaccine is safe but he is critical of AZ's performance in this matter and that they made several reporting missteps. 

Half of health care workers arent vacinated. That seemed crazy to me so I searched and found this, so it might be legit. 

Yep. Heck, the much ballyhooed Spanish Flu never went away. It just got a rebrand as H1N1 and comes back with some frequency -- including the well-known 2009 H1N1 epidemic in the U.S. The media wasn't reporting "cumulative Spanish Flu cases since 1918" even though it was the same virus.
Yea.  I am with this.  And the Russian Flu is basically the common cold now.  Which this will maybe eventually become to an extent.  But we need the daily counts down to a more reasonable baseline --50,000+ isn't good; we need to be at 10,000 or less.  Vaccinations over 50% will help get us there.  If unvaccinated folks can just chill out for 2-3 more months, be patient, and get their shots, we can be mostly back to normal.

69% of people 65 or older have had at least one dose of vaccine. Second dose number steadily climbing, but the first dose number is only rising slowly now. 
Even if they've had COVID already, I can't imagine being over 65 and skipping the vaccine (unless you have health issues that make the vaccine dangerous).

Yea.  I am with this.  And the Russian Flu is basically the common cold now.  Which this will maybe eventually become to an extent.  But we need the daily counts down to a more reasonable baseline --50,000+ isn't good; we need to be at 10,000 or less.  Vaccinations over 50% will help get us there.  If unvaccinated folks can just chill out for 2-3 more months, be patient, and get their shots, we can be mostly back to normal.
Assuming the vaccines work, and it looks like they do, the daily counts are going to go down very soon regardless of how many cases/day are out there now.  It's just a matter of getting everyone vaccinated.

The only way this becomes a big issue is if a very large % of people decide not to get vaccinated.  But as long as the vast majority of people get vaccinated, and we keep vaccinating 3M a day, this thing is going away (as a major threat) within months.

He stressed that is for vaccinated people and dont be dumb right now and be the guy that dies a few days before vaccine appointment. 

Says the AZ vaccine is safe but he is critical of AZ's performance in this matter and that they made several reporting missteps. 

Half of health care workers arent vacinated. That seemed crazy to me so I searched and found this, so it might be legit.
Agree with the bolded. 

NY State hospital workers are around 76% fully vaccinated. Health care workers are probably a broader category then just hospital workers.

NY State Hospital Worker Vaccination Rate

Even if they've had COVID already, I can't imagine being over 65 and skipping the vaccine (unless you have health issues that make the vaccine dangerous).
What health issues outside of allergies can be dangerous?

I get it with other vaccines, but I dont understand how an mRNA vaccine could be dangerous to many people outside of allergies. I mean I thought the whole point of the mRNA vaccine was that it was a pretty much harmless thing that teaches your body to react to the attachment of the virus. This is why you could still technically be a carrier but not get sick. In simple terms if you were attacked by 100 virus particles and the vaccine made your body eliminate attachment of 97 of them and 3 still got through, you wouldnt be sick because such a low dose hit you and cant replicate fast enough. 

Now this is an area I have done little reading on so I could be totally off there.

Anybody able to shed better light on how an mRNA vaccine could hurt people outside of allergies?  

I get it with other vaccines, but I dont understand how an mRNA vaccine could be dangerous to many people outside of allergies. I mean I thought the whole point of the mRNA vaccine was that it was a pretty much harmless thing that teaches your body to react to the attachment of the virus. This is why you could still technically be a carrier but not get sick. In simple terms if you were attacked by 100 virus particles and the vaccine made your body eliminate attachment of 97 of them and 3 still got through, you wouldnt be sick because such a low dose hit you and cant replicate fast enough. 

Now this is an area I have done little reading on so I could be totally off there.

Anybody able to shed better light on how an mRNA vaccine could hurt people outside of allergies?  
Probably certain auto-immune conditions and being allergic to the lipids the mRNA is encapsulated in. 

No idea.  I’m not a medical doctor or an epidemiologist.

It was a blanket caveat because otherwise people on this board get hung up on 0.01% outliers.

I don’t want people to die because they’ve been misinformed or misled by others.
Oh, I agree with this wholeheartedly.  We should absolutely be pushing vaccination. 

It's just that there's a subtext in these conversations about how vaccine resistors are somehow endangering the rest of us, which doesn't seem to have any foundation in anything.  I'm not going to covid from them, I'm not going to pick it up and spread it to others, and my vaccination seems to do a pretty good job of handling the assortment of variants that are floating around out there.  At some point, I just have to accept the fact that some people are going to make a bad decision on this, there's not much I can do about it, and it doesn't really affect me.

At this point, though, I don't understand why I'm supposed to care if some jackass declines vaccination.  That's his problem, not mine.
Because of the high risk people who cannot get the vaccine or people like my friend's dad who has leukemia and the vaccine is much less effective for.  And future mutation risk that could cause short term shutdowns again -- the good news is these vaccines are so good and the mRNA can be tweaked and produced in a faster manner that we won't need a whole year on lockdown for this one again.

I wish someone would create another one of those bouncing dot things showing how this spreads, like they did at the beginning of the pandemic, only with the now lower R0 and vaccines that are 90% effective against disease. And compare how it looks at various vaccination penetration and how we can snuff this out. 

After looking at day 14 data of their CD12 trial, CytoDyn announced this morning that the drug arm of critical patients experienced a 400% decrease in mortality (p-value 0.0223) compared to the placebo arm.  Management has a problem because the 28-day data didn't look nearly as good.  The likely reason is that drug was only administered at days 0 & 7 but patients should have also been injected at days 14 and 21. 

The good news is that the drug works but the bad news is that management continues to make questionable judgments which has resulted in a healthy level of skepticism from regulators and the press.

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere or not, but the CDC has put out some data on first-dose vaccine efficacy.  

Prospective cohorts of 3,950 health care personnel, first responders, and other essential and frontline workers completed weekly SARS-CoV-2 testing for 13 consecutive weeks. Under real-world conditions, mRNA vaccine effectiveness of full immunization (≥14 days after second dose) was 90% against SARS-CoV-2 infections regardless of symptom status; vaccine effectiveness of partial immunization (≥14 days after first dose but before second dose) was 80%.
As expected, this means that you definitely want to get both shots, but you have very good immunity a couple of weeks after the first shot.  (This has been common knowledge for quite a while now, but it's nice to see confirmation). 

Temporarily in CA for a while, signed up here but man are they slow rolling it. Still at 65+ or underlying conditions or front line workers. I realize there are a #### ton of people here but lets GO GO GO!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread