What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (20 Viewers)

Maybe that batch wasn't so good.  I think some genetic variant testing is in order here. 
This was exactly my first though too, but obviously I have no idea if these five guys were vaccinated together or if they all got vaccinated in different places on their own.  This case should definitely be looked into though.

Have any of you flown on a plane or taken public transportation (subway, regional train, Amtrak) since vaccination?

My hesitancy going on a crowded train is really what is holding me back from returning to the office right now.
I have flown a couple times since getting vaccinated. Everyone was wearing masks. However, I was fairly uncomfortable on my first flight. It was certainly weird to be in a crowd again. I was glad I did it though. Once you are fully vaccinated this is really not that risky.

3 months ago I would have gladly taken whatever vaccine I could get soonest - Pfizer, Moderna or J&J.  Ended up with Pfizer. Looking back, whether right or wrong, if I had gotten J&J I'd feel like I got the Toyota Corolla when I could have gotten the Tesla.

How many yankees coaches were vaccinated with the J&J vaccine, my guess is they have at least 15-20 coaches?

5 coaches testing positive seems within normal statistics.
Some of these clusters like this make me wonder if the material had not gone bad, or was mishandled in some way.  

How many yankees coaches were vaccinated with the J&J vaccine, my guess is they have at least 15-20 coaches?

How?

I guess you are saying if J&J is 75% effective then we should expect 5 breakout cases over a 20 person sample?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you basing this on?  Not saying you're wrong, just that my intuition was leaning strongly in the "this is statistically very weird" direction. 
As you start zooming out, five on one team's coaching staff probably becomes nothing more than statistical noise.

Zoom out from the coaching staff to the Yankees' coaches + players + other on-field personnel. Is it now 5 out of 50? Could be.

Zoom out to all Yankees' employees -- the group above plus scouts, analytics, equipment, marketing, etc. Is it now, say, 7 out of 250?

Zoom out to all MLB employees -- basically the group above x 30. Is it now several dozen out of 7,000 or so?

Add to that a point I made in the PF coronavirus thread:

Plus, it matter A LOT how these Yankee coaches are experiencing their infections. Did they get laid low? Do they just have annoying symptoms that got IDed as COVID only upon a test? Do they feel fine, and would have never known they were infected without a test?

That kind of stuff matters -- if vaccinated people end up with COVID, but the infection is mild or even unnoticed ... the vaccine is still doing its job and is still effective.

The vaccine doesn't insta-kill coronaviruses as they land on your epithelium. The vaccine gets your body to make in advance as many antibodies as it can**, AND this process helps your bodies T-cells "remember" how to make more coronavirus antibodies when needed. There is a lag between (a) when the virus gets into your body (breathed in typically, settling in the nasal passages or bronchi) and (b) the time your vaccine-initiated antibodies get to work. And if your particular immune system was below average before your vaccination, maybe your body's post-vaccine response to the coronavirus virions is somewhat dampened compared to others' post-vaccine response. Not dampened enough to where you get badly ill and all that ... just dampened enough so that the virions have a little time to multiply and show up on a PCR test before getting wiped out by your immune system in the end.

** and this ability to manufacture antibodies varies a lot from person to person like so many other human traits.

Will do.  After wearing a regular N95 for like 8 hours straight this week per day(until it broke), something more comfortable is most definitely appreciated. I will let you know how it goes.  I also have the jock strap one. i will admit its very comfortable.  :shrug:
@parasaurolophus So I’m traveling with these n95s this week.  Very comfortable.  Way more than the other N95s I’ve worn.  I also have the one with the other strap which i will test tomorrow.  

i saw a post where you mentioned not double masking with n95.  I was planning to.  But is there a good reason not to?  My sister who is a doctor suggests it.  🤷🏽‍♂️

Have any of you flown on a plane or taken public transportation (subway, regional train, Amtrak) since vaccination?

My hesitancy going on a crowded train is really what is holding me back from returning to the office right now.
Today is my second trip.  I have club access to i hide in there.  When it’s time to board i stand away from the crowd and go when it’s my group but I’m group 1 so i get to go early.

i will say the airports i have been to have hand sanitizers everywhere and generally try to avoid any touching.  I do bring my own and wipes just in case.

on United when you board they give you wipes to wipe your seat.  I personally don’t eat on the flight but my flights have been under 3.5 hours.  

all in all they are doing a decent job.

i haven’t been on public transport and don’t know much about ventilation on trains and busses.  I know plans have very good ventilation with hepa filters and such.  

I flew to Denver to go skiing the first weekend after my vaccine kicked in. I would not hesitate to do it again.

Before I was vaccinated we drove to Denver with a 3 and a 5 year old. It was not too bad for a 15 hour drive with 2 young kids, but I will stick to flying now.

Have flown over a dozen times in the past year. No issues. Just mask up and be smart. 

Aside from a few window-licker deniers pushing the rules, it's a non issue. 

Anecdotal, but there's a nursing home near where I work that has had several outbreaks. They are currently going through another. Of 27 infected residents, 24 were vaccinated. All are asymptomatic. Of the 3 that were not vaccinated, one is asymptomatic, one has mild symptoms and one is hospitalized.

@parasaurolophus So I’m traveling with these n95s this week.  Very comfortable.  Way more than the other N95s I’ve worn.  I also have the one with the other strap which i will test tomorrow.  

i saw a post where you mentioned not double masking with n95.  I was planning to.  But is there a good reason not to?  My sister who is a doctor suggests it.  🤷🏽‍♂️
KN95 is the one I was most concerned about double masking. The cone shape could be so easily altered and break the seal around the face. 

Anecdotal, but there's a nursing home near where I work that has had several outbreaks. They are currently going through another. Of 27 infected residents, 24 were vaccinated. All are asymptomatic. Of the 3 that were not vaccinated, one is asymptomatic, one has mild symptoms and one is hospitalized.
The vaccine in action.

This was exactly my first though too, but obviously I have no idea if these five guys were vaccinated together or if they all got vaccinated in different places on their own.  This case should definitely be looked into though.
Well, it's two coaches and a staff member, not five. And according to that article, at least one of these cases is asymptomatic. Also, looks like the whole team got the J&J in early April.

The vaccine in action.
I don't use this anecdote as a reason to not get vaccinated.

I use this anecdote to fire back at the folks pushing for everyone to take their masks off. I have a 5/3/1 year old at home. Sure my wife and I are both vaxxed, but the three kiddos aren't. Maybe I would be asymptomatic, but still manage to spread to my daughter. Vaxs are a long way off for them. While kids do better with Covid, there are some that don't and this is a risk I don't want to take. I'll be keeping my mask on as a fully vaccinated adult for a while.

I use this anecdote to fire back at the folks pushing for everyone to take their masks off. I have a 5/3/1 year old at home. Sure my wife and I are both vaxxed, but the three kiddos aren't. Maybe I would be asymptomatic, but still manage to spread to my daughter. Vaxs are a long way off for them. While kids do better with Covid, there are some that don't and this is a risk I don't want to take. I'll be keeping my mask on as a fully vaccinated adult for a while.
Are you saying you wear a mask in your own house around your own children all day every day?  

Wtf? Are you wearing your mask at home?

Are you saying you wear a mask in your own house around your own children all day every day?  
No I think he’s talking about continuing to wear a mask in public because if he got it, he would spread it to his daughters. At least that’s how I read it.

No it's up to 7 coaches and staff now.

6 of the 7 are asymptomatic 
Definitely a concern but not surprising. Clinical trials were conducted in a time when everyone was taking more precautions. They compare the infections of the control and test groups to determine the effectiveness. But the one thing they can’t control is the viral exposure.

Now people are taking more risks especially after vaccination for good reason. With this many coaches testing positive, there’s a strong likelihood that whoever is patient zero gave them a hardy exposure with no masks or distancing. Viral load can play an important part of how quickly the antibodies can stop the virus when it sees it.

The ‘bad batch’ theory is worth considering too. Not so much the batch but improper handling. All the vaccines have quirks. With Moderna and Pfizer the vaccines are good for 12 hours for Moderna and 6 hours for Pfizer after the vial is first punctured. For those two it’s good for that time in the fridge or at room temp. J&J is also good for 6 hours but only in the fridge. At room temp it’s only stable for 2 hours. If they were doing a clinic for all players and staff, many of those doses were drawn up ahead of time and possibly left at room temp not knowing the ‘quirk’ of J&J. Not saying it happened but that would explain a batch being less effective.

No I think he’s talking about continuing to wear a mask in public because if he got it, he would spread it to his daughters. At least that’s how I read it.
Shouldn't he be wearing the mask at home to prevent spreading it to his children? Wearing one out and about and not wearing one at home makes even less sense if he's fully vaccinated. 

What are you basing this on?  Not saying you're wrong, just that my intuition was leaning strongly in the "this is statistically very weird" direction.  
My intuition was “yeah, that is probably within the realm of reasonability for the J&J vaccine.”   But I would still enjoy reading a deeper analysis of the situation.

Shouldn't he be wearing the mask at home to prevent spreading it to his children? Wearing one out and about and not wearing one at home makes even less sense if he's fully vaccinated. 
No. The point of wearing the mask in public is reducing the chances of bringing it home. I went to extreme lengths during the peak of the pandemic to reduce the chances of bringing it back to my family but never considered wearing a mask inside around my own family. Is that what you think people have been doing?

No. The point of wearing the mask in public is reducing the chances of bringing it home. I went to extreme lengths during the peak of the pandemic to reduce the chances of bringing it back to my family but never considered wearing a mask inside around my own family. Is that what you think people have been doing?
Funny this whole time I heard wearing a mask prevents you from spreading the virus to others MUCH more than it prevents you from getting the virus.

Also, the fact he's fully vaccinated already reduces the chances of bringing it home.

Funny this whole time I heard wearing a mask prevents you from spreading the virus to others MUCH more than it prevents you from getting the virus.

Also, the fact he's fully vaccinated already reduces the chances of bringing it home.
You've heard what you wanted to hear this whole time, which has almost always been wrong.

Don't try to play "mr science" now unless you're just trying to give us all a laugh, dude :lol:  

I thought the mask was for collecting virus material that can be can be used for exposing yourself or others at a later time. 😷

Got my 1st Pfizer vax yesterday. About 2 hour total time at Walgreens. Waiting was more painful than today's shoulder soreness.

CDC says fully vaccinated people don’t need to wear face masks indoors or outdoors in most settings

Fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a face mask or stay six feet away from others in most settings, whether outdoors or indoors, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in updated public health guidance released Thursday.

There are a handful of instances where people will still need to wear masks — in a health-care setting, at a business that requires them or on an airplane — even if they’ve had their final vaccine dose two or more weeks ago, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told reporters at a press briefing.

Does this encourage some additional people to vaccinate, or does this just mean the end of masks for good because no one will care anymore? Im good with either.

Does this encourage some additional people to vaccinate, or does this just mean the end of masks for good because no one will care anymore? Im good with either.
It should encourage some but it won’t. The message should be that the vaccine works so well that we can take the masks off. The message received will be that masks aren’t needed. It’s unlikely that anywhere will ask you to prove your vaccination status when you’re not wearing a mask so there’s not really a strong incentive for those who were already against getting vaccinated.

CDC says fully vaccinated people don’t need to wear face masks indoors or outdoors in most settings

Fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a face mask or stay six feet away from others in most settings, whether outdoors or indoors, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in updated public health guidance released Thursday.

There are a handful of instances where people will still need to wear masks — in a health-care setting, at a business that requires them or on an airplane — even if they’ve had their final vaccine dose two or more weeks ago, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told reporters at a press briefing.
So does this really mean the pandemic is essentially over if you are fully vaccinated (with Pfizer and Moderna at least)?

Who cares.  If you catch it at this point it's more or less on you.  Unless of course you coach the Yankees. 

So does this really mean the pandemic is essentially over if you are fully vaccinated (with Pfizer and Moderna at least)?
Not necessarily. The pandemic still rages on world wide with possibilities of variants being created that will evade the vaccines. Nothing is guaranteed in the medium-long term but in.the short term it's a great day.

I've gone around my house smelling things, especially spices, and everything smells normal. The only things so far has been chicken and eggs...and...I didn't want to mention it but my poop has the same smell. I don't know about everyone else, but I know I;ve never had a problem with the smell of my poop but now it has the same smell as chicken and eggs. Not horrible mind you. Just different.
I saw a Tok Tok where someone said their smell just came back...but now EVERYTHING smells exactly the same,.whether it be their food, their poop, or anything else. Doesn't sound great.

Not necessarily. The pandemic still rages on world wide with possibilities of variants being created that will evade the vaccines. Nothing is guaranteed in the medium-long term but in.the short term it's a great day.
Very true.

I am just trying to figure out reopening of my office and taking public transit (train) into the city for work if/when we can go back.

Im thinking its more the latter. My wife refuses the get vaccinated. Weve had numerous arguments about it. I basically told her she's an idiot and Im gonna create a Tinder profile to be prepared. After this news she just said she wont be wearing a mask anymore without the vaccine.

Pending the emergence of a resistant variant, yes. As soon as Pfizer and Moderna came back with their 95% effectiveness, this was expected. I didn’t believe it would happen this quickly but here we are.
Agreed.  And I feel like a broken record on this point, but we seriously lucked out that this pandemic occurred just after we developed mRNA technology.  If this outbreak had occurred just a few years ago, we probably would have been stuck with something like Sinovac, which is okay but probably would have slowed down our recovery substantially.

so now the PA governor just said he will not follow CDC 'no mask required' guideline until the state hits 70% vaccinated,  which will never happen.. ironically enough, it will be Philadelphia that will prevent it, because the city is only about 40% fully vaccinated.....   this is going to be a cluster :wall:

I saw a Tok Tok where someone said their smell just came back...but now EVERYTHING smells exactly the same,.whether it be their food, their poop, or anything else. Doesn't sound great.
Thankfully it seems to be improving for me but yes, the things affected all smelled the same and judging by the descriptions, people may be experiencing almost the same smell. In my reading, when someone says it smells like covid, I think I know what they are referring to. But it isn't just restricted to covid as some people have had the condition for years after having a brain injury or even just a sinus infection. Most seem to recover after covid but some haven't even a year or more in. It really is a horrible thing and I hope my improvement continues. I've read plenty of people saying they thought they were well on their way to recovering before having an even worse relapse.

so now the PA governor just said he will not follow CDC 'no mask required' guideline until the state hits 70% vaccinated,  which will never happen.. ironically enough, it will be Philadelphia that will prevent it, because the city is only about 40% fully vaccinated.....   this is going to be a cluster :wall:
I fear Washington state will be at least this resistant, if not worse.

Users who are viewing this thread