What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (22 Viewers)

I live in Springfield, MO area (metro pop of about 500k).  Very conservative area, but not a lot of crowding, we like our space here.

Total confirmed cases are 424 and total deaths around 12.

I don't know a single person who has had it and only a handful who have been tested.

Very few people are going to continue social distancing and wearing masks when almost no one has any experience with it and are taking their cues from conservative media outlets.  I would imagine that on a given day PRE-COVID, that I probably averaged no more than a dozen close contacts a day outside of my family.  Since the precautions have been enacted, That number is probably no more than 2-3 people per week.

People in large metro areas probably don't realize the amount of natural social distancing that exists in "flyover country".  I just don't see how the virus would ever explode here unless people just took zero precautions, and we still have some moderate legal restrictions in place as well as many people being responsible as individuals.  Probably the only real risky area, IMO is if schools were to just open in the fall with no precautionary measures...which is not happening. 

worldometers says we have 1.4 million active case.  That would 40,000 cases each of the last 40 days with no deaths of recoveries from that group.  Looks like bad data.

It's dying out in Europe due to basic public health interventions: test and trace, social distancing / proper lockdowns, and mask wearing.

Doctors doing doctor stuff helps those that get infected. I'd prefer to have fewer infected and then to trace and isolate possible contacts, but that's far beyond the capabilities of most of the US right now.  Maybe a place like Hawaii could do it with their low # of cases, or maybe CT could do it they continue to drop the case load.
It’s not dying out.  It’s in a lull.  Most health experts expect a fall/winter wave even in Europe.  But they are definitely doing a better job in the interim.

culdeus said:
Death rates continue to fall in UK

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/declining-death-rate-from-covid-19-in-hospitals-in-england/

There is just far too much focus on case counts.  

This thing is dying out thanks to the work of doctors doing doctor stuff.  
The article you link posited many reasons why the death rates are declining.  It didn’t say that “this thing is dying out”, and it didn’t say that doctors becoming better at treating it is why the rate seems to be declining in the UK.

I realize this is your shtick, but pushing a “this virus is dying” narrative in the face of an explosion of covid in the USA is something that you’ll probably regret in two weeks.

I hope you’re right, but suspect that you’re wrong.

Every old person I know is scared.  I suspect that older ones all over the world have been cautious in the face of declining case counts across the world. 

But as a country gets more and more cases and the virus spreads everywhere, it becomes more and more difficult to hide it from the elderly. 

Remember, when this virus first broke out, no one knew it was as widespread as it was so it ravaged older ones.

I doubt the mortality rate of this virus has changed one half percent, but I suspect a lower percentage of older ones have it than at the beginning.

Which of course will change if it becomes widespread in communities.  

Every old person I know is scared.  I suspect that older ones all over the world have been cautious in the face of declining case counts across the world. 

But as a country gets more and more cases and the virus spreads everywhere, it becomes more and more difficult to hide it from the elderly. 

Remember, when this virus first broke out, no one knew it was as widespread as it was so it ravaged older ones.

I doubt the mortality rate of this virus has changed one half percent, but I suspect a lower percentage of older ones have it than at the beginning.

Which of course will change if it becomes widespread in communities.  
Or once Leromlimab gets approved if the FDA will let them play.

Gov. DeSantis just had a press conference with Pensacola hospital admins. 

Currently ages 25-34 are leading age bracket in terms of new cases and percent Positive (around 20% positive).

Hospital admins say they're seeing entire families come in and test positive. Socializing is suspected culprit. Most are either asymptomatic or have cold like symptoms and being told to quarantine at home and rest. Doctor advances notion that virus has changed to less aggressive strain but cautions that would require more study.

All four hospital admins urged people to social distance and wear masks. They also repeatedly asked people who require care(i.e. heart or breathing issues) to please come in. They say they have plenty of room (in Pensacola). 
JFC....

This was literally China is Jan/Feb. It's the reason they went with the model of pulling the positive patient immediately and isolating them in temporary hospitals because familiar transmission so rampant. It's like we learned nothing....

The only silver lining is we're dealing with a slightly weakened strain.

Hospital admins say they're seeing entire families come in and test positive. Socializing is suspected culprit. Most are either asymptomatic or have cold like symptoms and being told to quarantine at home and rest.
Why is anyone going to a hospital with cold like symptoms. Stay home!

Deaths in FL were not at insane levels two months ago. New hospitalizations are relatively flat in FL.
Based on what numbers?  Do you trust that data right now?

I'd prefer to have fewer infected and then to trace and isolate possible contacts, but that's far beyond the capabilities of most of the US right now. 
Why is that?  There are a lot of unemployed people right now and we're certainly spending enough money on all kinds of things to assist right now.

JFC....

This was literally China is Jan/Feb. It's the reason they went with the model of pulling the positive patient immediately and isolating them in temporary hospitals because familiar transmission so rampant. It's like we learned nothing....

The only silver lining is we're dealing with a slightly weakened strain.
Link?

Covid Cases in Delaware Beaches and NJ beaches have surged since opening. Rehoboth Beach DL they are telling people who were there in the last week to get tested as a bunch of teens used a rental and got it. One customer of mine came back said they may not go down rest of the summer. No one wearing masks or social distancing or anything. people just acting like this thing never happened Said his wife and him are thinking about not going the rest of the summer now. Don't be surprised if Jersey is the next to go back to Yellow or red. 

The biggest issue hear in my state and others is the younger crowd Millenials thinking they can't get it or that bad. Theres been reports of some deaths in the 20s range for people dying from this. Don't think you are immune to it. Can happen to anyone. Really didn't take this too seriously at first myself. But started too just in time. After seeing a parent go through it too changes things. My dad was one of those "oh it's no different then the flu" people and then when my mom got it his attitud changed quick. 

Also what they are not publicly saying is this is worse than what many are telling the public what people go through. My Mom had breast surgery had both removed and reconstructive surgery done too TWICE. This was 100xs worse than that. I really think some video evidence of what people are going through and other things that will scare the daylights out of people is fully on the cards to make people realize how serious this is. 

The article you link posited many reasons why the death rates are declining.  It didn’t say that “this thing is dying out”, and it didn’t say that doctors becoming better at treating it is why the rate seems to be declining in the UK.

I realize this is your shtick, but pushing a “this virus is dying” narrative in the face of an explosion of covid in the USA is something that you’ll probably regret in two weeks.

I hope you’re right, but suspect that you’re wrong.
I posted articles on cases in FL and other states that opened too quickly on my facebook about 3 weeks ago. A friend of mine responded with a "stop trying to post scare tactics and false info." Just this week I hear FL might be reverting back and closing down again. I don't know the posters tactics but there's a lot of people still in the conspiracy this isn't real or dying off 

Covid Cases in Delaware Beaches and NJ beaches have surged since opening. Rehoboth Beach DL they are telling people who were there in the last week to get tested as a bunch of teens used a rental and got it. One customer of mine came back said they may not go down rest of the summer. No one wearing masks or social distancing or anything. people just acting like this thing never happened Said his wife and him are thinking about not going the rest of the summer now. Don't be surprised if Jersey is the next to go back to Yellow or red. 

The biggest issue hear in my state and others is the younger crowd Millenials thinking they can't get it or that bad. Theres been reports of some deaths in the 20s range for people dying from this. Don't think you are immune to it. Can happen to anyone. Really didn't take this too seriously at first myself. But started too just in time. After seeing a parent go through it too changes things. My dad was one of those "oh it's no different then the flu" people and then when my mom got it his attitud changed quick. 

Also what they are not publicly saying is this is worse than what many are telling the public what people go through. My Mom had breast surgery had both removed and reconstructive surgery done too TWICE. This was 100xs worse than that. I really think some video evidence of what people are going through and other things that will scare the daylights out of people is fully on the cards to make people realize how serious this is. 
NJ cases are very low. We will know in a month of an issue. No way to tell now. 

Why is that?  There are a lot of unemployed people right now and we're certainly spending enough money on all kinds of things to assist right now.
People not answering/not calling back. Last report I saw in SA was about 52% responded to trace calls. They didn't answer, they didn't return the calls. Greatly reduces the effectiveness of the tracing attempts.

People not answering/not calling back. Last report I saw in SA was about 52% responded to trace calls. They didn't answer, they didn't return the calls. Greatly reduces the effectiveness of the tracing attempts.
Has someone said how they know who to call?  They got what? A quarter billion in funding.  

Buddy of mine has his GOWireless store closing at the end of the month (Separate from Verizion Wireless). From what he's told me about the company over the last 2 or so yrs is it sounds like they might go out of business. Their stores are less busy and a few have closed. He's been moved around constantly and they are willing to either move him to another store or give him a severance package that is 3 weeks pay. He took the package because he said he hates being used but I suggested at the very least for the time being until he can find another job he should've taken the transfer to another store. I know one of the reasons he won't admit is because if he transfers he's no longer manager and can't make his own schedule. He likes to be in control and things his way (In a bad way not the good kind). With less hrs of the store being open he's been on partial unemployment the last 2 months or so. Not sure he's really making the best decision right now. I'd suggest to him he could apply and most likely get hired at my store as we are always looking for help. However just from convo's with him and suggestions before I know he feels that's beneath him so I won't bother upsetting myself suggesting it. He's someone who's always had his way and was spoiled as a kid by his parents when he was younger. I hate for anyone to lose their job but I'm hoping some good comes out of this and he gets humbled by the experience a bit. He's the type of person until something happens to him he's set in his ways on issues. 

Not sure how much of the store closing is on the pandemic or what though. I'm just glad I work a job where I can still work and all. With my Aspergers and all I wouldn't be able to take being stuck at home not working ever. Then the minute I get use to it I'd have to go back to work and just can't deal with sudden changes like that so fast. 

They need a way to get past the "unknown caller" issue. Could COVID tracing calls be given some kind of automated caller-ID identifier so those calls don't just show up as "unknown number"?

I also read about some area somewhere doing contact notifications as something similar to Amber Alerts pushed down to local phones -- not quite true contact tracing, but a way of warning those possibly exposed.

Ugh.  Me and the fam are supposed to go in mid-July to Rehoboth.  We go every year and stay in a friend's (unoccupied) vacation house.  It may be a short visit this year if things are as you report.

Why is anyone going to a hospital with cold like symptoms. Stay home!
The hospital runs these testing sites.  Someone in the family starts feeling minor symptoms (or one of their friends starts feeling symptoms). The entire family,  knowing they've been by themselves or socialized with the affected person/family shows up to testing facility and tests positive.

The part folks are glazing over is that according to medical authorities, the vast majority of thesr cases are minor and they're sent home to quarantine and rest.

A few anecdotes regarding people with breathing problems being able to safely wear face coverings for extended periods of time:

Rex Chapman
@RexChapman

Public Service Announcement: The more you know — about masks... (Link to 47-second video by asthmatic Emily Lyoness, who wears a face covering 12-14 hours a day on the job - db)

Then scroll down, at the same link, in Chapman's feed one tweet to see Emily's second video that she made after being challenged about her oximeter results while being masked. Or click this link to view (54 seconds).

Finally, from Boomer's now adult son -- when he refers to "my CF", realize that he is a lifelong cystic fibrosis sufferer:

𝙂𝙐𝙉𝙉𝘼𝙍 𝙀𝙎𝙄𝘼𝙎𝙊𝙉
@G17Esiason

I’ve been wearing an N95 for an hour. The top number (99%) is my oxygen saturation. The bottom is my HR after running up stairs My CF has led to bronchiectasis, extensive airway scarring and multidrug resistant infection in my lungs. If I can breathe with a mask on, so can you!

They need a way to get past the "unknown caller" issue. Could COVID tracing calls be given some kind of automated caller-ID identifier so those calls don't just show up as "unknown number"?

I also read about some area somewhere doing contact notifications as something similar to Amber Alerts pushed down to local phones -- not quite true contact tracing, but a way of warning those possibly exposed.
They've announced several times that the number is (210) 207-xxxx but really, how many people watch the news? How many don't care? How many don't want to admit they were being dumb-arses at the bar along with the other infected? They leave voice mails so, even if people don't recognize the number, they know who called. They just aren't interested in responding.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Low #COVID19 deaths AGAIN today. Here's ANOTHER way we know the virus impact is slowing: the number of counties reporting deaths is dropping too Think of it like 3000+ weather stations reporting in daily. It looks like only 240 counties are now reporting deaths down from 350!"

In Miami Dade County, the decrease in average age of the positives is a major factor in keeping deaths from increasing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/justin_hart

Call back at the number they left them in the voicemail?
Poorly phrased.  How do the contact tracers know to call someone?  I'm still really unclear on how they are figuring out who to notify.  

I don't know how you get someone to pick-up the phone.  I never answer a phone call from an unknown number as it's 99% of the time someone trying to sell me an extended warranty for my huffy.

Poorly phrased.  How do the contact tracers know to call someone?  I'm still really unclear on how they are figuring out who to notify.  

I don't know how you get someone to pick-up the phone.  I never answer a phone call from an unknown number as it's 99% of the time someone trying to sell me an extended warranty for my huffy.
Oh, sorry. No idea. Maybe they interview those who test positive? I'm not sure.

They get the no pick-up part. Most of us don't answer unknown numbers. But they leave detailed VMs. It's apathy on people's part. Then again, these are the same people going to bars with no masks, no social distancing, etc. So I guess it's no surprise they don't bother.

"Low #COVID19 deaths AGAIN today. Here's ANOTHER way we know the virus impact is slowing: the number of counties reporting deaths is dropping too Think of it like 3000+ weather stations reporting in daily. It looks like only 240 counties are now reporting deaths down from 350!"

In Miami Dade County, the decrease in average age of the positives is a major factor in keeping deaths from increasing.

Yeah just like in March when the flu killed more people than CV.  🤦‍♂️

Major factor in keeping deaths from increasing is the spike is recent and deaths take time. Two weeks from now if deaths are still low, I’ll be ecstatic. 

Last weekend (Father's Day), my sister and husband visited my mother/father. They were inside most of the time. I came over after they had left and was outside for the entire visit with the exception of using the bathroom.

Today, I took my father out for a quick drink(s). We were outside at first, but moved inside. He mentioned to me that my sister was not feeling well and her husband had been in Arizona (we live in Illinois) for a bachelor party so they were going to be tested. At the time of this conversation this afternoon, I had no idea they were over on Sunday and that my parents may have been exposed to COVID. I sat across from him for about 2 hours without a mask on in an indoor environment today.

My mom called me tonight to let me know that my sister/husband both tested positive for COVID. My mom is going to be tested on Monday. My father seemed fine when I was around him but I am a little irritated he didn't mention all of this background before meeting up with him - I wouldn't have.

Saying all that, its unlikely I was exposed last Sunday to anything, but probably possible. During the week, no symptoms - an occasional headache, but nothing that Advil didn't take care of. Tonight, I had bad diarrhea (but also ate a pizza that may contributed to that).

Question - Should I get tested? If so, should I do it on Monday or wait a few days? Should I not tested if I don't experience any symptoms?

Last weekend (Father's Day), my sister and husband visited my mother/father. They were inside most of the time. I came over after they had left and was outside for the entire visit with the exception of using the bathroom.

Today, I took my father out for a quick drink(s). We were outside at first, but moved inside. He mentioned to me that my sister was not feeling well and her husband had been in Arizona (we live in Illinois) for a bachelor party so they were going to be tested. At the time of this conversation this afternoon, I had no idea they were over on Sunday and that my parents may have been exposed to COVID. I sat across from him for about 2 hours without a mask on in an indoor environment today.

My mom called me tonight to let me know that my sister/husband both tested positive for COVID. My mom is going to be tested on Monday. My father seemed fine when I was around him but I am a little irritated he didn't mention all of this background before meeting up with him - I wouldn't have.

Saying all that, its unlikely I was exposed last Sunday to anything, but probably possible. During the week, no symptoms - an occasional headache, but nothing that Advil didn't take care of. Tonight, I had bad diarrhea (but also ate a pizza that may contributed to that).

Question - Should I get tested? If so, should I do it on Monday or wait a few days? Should I not tested if I don't experience any symptoms?
For sure get tested.  Would assume you are positive with that type of exposure.  

You'll likely be fine but keep an O2 meter on hand because some people have deteriorated faster than they can discern.  

Ugh.  Me and the fam are supposed to go in mid-July to Rehoboth.  We go every year and stay in a friend's (unoccupied) vacation house.  It may be a short visit this year if things are as you report.
This was more so in Jersey the positive test was from Rehoboth though. I've yet to see any reports about the Del beaches at all. Are you close to Philly at all or more Maryland/Virginia/Del area? 

This was more so in Jersey the positive test was from Rehoboth though. I've yet to see any reports about the Del beaches at all. Are you close to Philly at all or more Maryland/Virginia/Del area? 
Baltimore.  We're doing OK here in BMore and MD as a whole right now.  Concerned that the DEL beaches are going to be a disaster.  You work in grocery, right?  In a DEL beach community?  If so, how crazy are the grocery stores?  Should I just stock up and pack coolers before I head out to DEL?  Should I schedule a delivery instead of heading to the store?

I do live alone.

How soon do you recommend I get tested - right away or wait a few days?
Call a doctor and tell them what you know.  They should tell you better then people of the internet.  

I've heard you want to get tested 5 days after exposure if not symptomatic. If symptomatic no reason to wait. This information could be old and the testing now may have improved.  

Baltimore.  We're doing OK here in BMore and MD as a whole right now.  Concerned that the DEL beaches are going to be a disaster.  You work in grocery, right?  In a DEL beach community?  If so, how crazy are the grocery stores?  Should I just stock up and pack coolers before I head out to DEL?  Should I schedule a delivery instead of heading to the store?
I'm actually in the Philly Suburbs so its alot different. I've seen most people go to the shore and then stock up there but I'm sure those sites are crazy. My District Managers Niece went to the NJ Shore for the summer works at one of our retails in Ocean City. I haven't asked her or my DM yet how crazy our stores are down there. However given the lack of business now in the suburbs and cities I'm sure those stores are packed. 

To be on the safe side I'd stock up before going and pack coolers. Delivery is ok depends on how long you are staying there and it might be a lot different by then. I suggest the cooler and pack as much as you can. Maybe limit trips to the store where you can. 

I do live alone.

Also it depends how long you were at your parents house for. I've heard different things like if you were around the person or people for more then 10 mins definitely isolate. I would definitely try and get tested ASAP though 

I agree with culdeus here, especially if cubd8 doesn't live alone.
I do live alone.

Your earliest probable exposure seems to have been today. A test tomorrow wouldn't reveal anything. Maybe wait until Thursday or Friday of this week unless you come down with sudden symptoms before then.

Also it depends how long you were at your parents house for. I've heard different things like if you were around the person or people for more then 10 mins definitely isolate. I would definitely try and get tested ASAP though 
From what he's told us, cubd8 shouldn't have gotten it on Father's Day -- even if his parents caught it from his sister and BIL on that day, his parents wouldn't have been shedding the virus back out into the environment within hours, when cubd8 visited.

I live in Springfield, MO area (metro pop of about 500k).  Very conservative area, but not a lot of crowding, we like our space here.

Total confirmed cases are 424 and total deaths around 12.

I don't know a single person who has had it and only a handful who have been tested.

Very few people are going to continue social distancing and wearing masks when almost no one has any experience with it and are taking their cues from conservative media outlets.  I would imagine that on a given day PRE-COVID, that I probably averaged no more than a dozen close contacts a day outside of my family.  Since the precautions have been enacted, That number is probably no more than 2-3 people per week.

People in large metro areas probably don't realize the amount of natural social distancing that exists in "flyover country".  I just don't see how the virus would ever explode here unless people just took zero precautions, and we still have some moderate legal restrictions in place as well as many people being responsible as individuals.  Probably the only real risky area, IMO is if schools were to just open in the fall with no precautionary measures...which is not happening. 
Churches, funerals and factories/plants have all been sources of outbreaks. Are none of those in your town?

Users who are viewing this thread