What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

There were more than 20-29 year olds at those protests. If the increase was due to them you'd see an increase across more age groups. Minnesota is also surging nowhere near places like Texas and Florida but that doesn't fit the narrative. 

You seem to very passive aggressively be pushing a certain narrative in here. 
In the middle of a pandemic the protests were a terrible idea and have likely served as fuel to the fire in many areas.

Interesting, Worldometers is showing a constitently higher number of cases than surrounding area even though it has a much lower population. Here is an example from yesterday where it has more than twice the cases than the worst NY city county (Queens) and like 7 times the cases as Nassau.  This has been pretty consistent for last week or so according to that site.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/
The difference between the 2 sites is the total case numbers for Suffolk are 41,309, not 60,276 as Worldometers is showing. Not sure where they got that number.

Suffolk's daily case numbers for the last 7 days have been 50 or below. Suffolk and Nassau have been very similar, with Nassau impacted worse early but then they were consistent with each other since around May,

Suffolk Daily Cases

Yes, he also is holding back on reopening malls which i think makes less sense. You can wear a mask and social distance in a mall (plus there's mall security to enforce things) much better than in a restaurant/bar.
You haven't been to Queens Center Mall on a weekend. Wall to wall people.

Yes, he also is holding back on reopening malls which i think makes less sense. You can wear a mask and social distance in a mall (plus there's mall security to enforce things) much better than in a restaurant/bar.
Yeah hopefully we start getting smarter about what businesses can take proper precautions that don’t need to be shutdown. Most retail businesses can require masks and create social distancing. Restaurants and bars, not so much.

Nashville signed an executive order on masks yesterday.  

Here are the exclusions:

• Any child 12 or under
  • People who cannot medically tolerate a mask.  No person shall be required to produce verifying medical documentation
  • In your vehicle
  • In schools/universities
  • In restaurants/bars
  • While outdoors in public spaces unless you can't stay 6 feet from others
  • While in a place of worship
  • While in a building owned by the state of TN or the federal govt

Last edited by a moderator:

Here are the exclusions:

• Any child 12 or under
  • People who cannot medically tolerate a mask.  No person shall be required to produce verifying medical documentation
  • In your vehicle
  • In restaurants/bars
This reads like a list of places you should wear a mask.

Don’t get too excited about any ‘good news’ coming from Arizona. Only 625 new cases today but one lab didn’t report, believed to be Quest which does about 80% of the testing here. Those cases are based on just 1524 PCR tests. Concerning that they’re having trouble keeping up.

Don’t get too excited about any ‘good news’ coming from Arizona. Only 625 new cases today but one lab didn’t report, believed to be Quest which does about 80% of the testing here. Those cases are based on just 1524 PCR tests. Concerning that they’re having trouble keeping up.
TN didn't even report numbers yesterday due to some lab/reporting issues.

has it been mentioned in here that CDC has been mixing anti-body tests with viral tests with their reported totals?  This is a month old but I'm just learning about it now.  

link

Here are the exclusions:

• Any child 12 or under
  • In your vehicle
  • In restaurants/bars
This reads like a list of places you should wear a mask.
My son thinks he has it.  Can't smell or taste and has been around others who have tested positive.  He says literally nobody in Nashville wears a mask (until today)

Here are the exclusions:

• Any child 12 or under
  • In your vehicle
  • In restaurants/bars
What a totally useless mess.  That shows a real lack of leadership and a complete inability to do the right things, especially when doing the right things may be unpopular with some.

If nothing else, this virus has exposed how little leadership citizens are getting...or how little we demand of our elected officials.  It can be infuriating (and exhausting if you let it).

So the town I live in is home to the largest antique fair/flea market in the country.  It's usually held monthly.  ####### idiots are re-opening it this weekend.  Our town has been very good with COVID so far, with only about 70 total cases to date in a population of about 100K.  This is going to open the floodgates as the idiots stream in on Sunday.  I've been to this thing.  There is no real way to social distance.  It's like Disneyland when it's crowded.  

Wow.

A microcosm of what humanity is up against.
[Darwin]Not for long if they keep that up[/Darwin]

So the town I live in is home to the largest antique fair/flea market in the country.  It's usually held monthly.  ####### idiots are re-opening it this weekend.  Our town has been very good with COVID so far, with only about 70 total cases to date in a population of about 100K.  This is going to open the floodgates as the idiots stream in on Sunday.  I've been to this thing.  There is no real way to social distance.  It's like Disneyland when it's crowded.  
Ours isn't that big but it's not a small gathering. They opened in SC probably a month ago and while it isn't at pre-lockdown numbers, there are a helluva lot more people there than I would be comfortable around (meaning more then 3).

Our church sent out a flyer to gauge interest in having church in a big tent outside (we're actually moving right now and don't have a church to go inside right now). Told the wife I have no desire to be in a closed setting even outside and socially distanced like they are talking. Just don't have any faith people will adhere to it.

I've lost track of what our goal is with all this.

We started with "flattening the curve" with the goal of helping our healthcare industry ramp up to deal with it. Are we still doing that? How prepared are they and/or how much more time is necessary to buy?

Has our goal shifted to preventing it from spreading it at all? Or are we now in "delay until we have a vaccine" mode? 

What are we actually trying to do?

We started with "flattening the curve" with the goal of helping our healthcare industry ramp up to deal with it. Are we still doing that? How prepared are they and/or how much more time is necessary to buy?

Has our goal shifted to preventing it from spreading it at all? Or are we now in "delay until we have a vaccine" mode? 

Depends on your point of view.  If you want to make it look like the sky is falling quote the case counts.  

I'm surprised we can't figure it out too, given we're typically such a unified country.

:goodposting:

This isn't just a legit question, it's also an important one that needs to be defined.

I look forward to hopefully several replies to this question; I'll give my thoughts later tonight when I have more time.

Agree this is a legit question that doesn't seem to be addressed well by any outlet I've followed. To be fair, though, I've taken a big step back from following closely over the last month-ish. It's too disheartening to watch terrible leadership that proudly displays a total lack of common sense. 

My opinion is that the goal is a continued flattening of the curve. Spikes will happen without reasonable preventive measures (SD, hygiene, masks, and sensible openings) and our hospital systems aren't well equipped to handle surges, even with makeshift hospitals. Things simply won't be normal like they were in 2019 any time soon. 

RI goes to phase 3 this week. Damn near every city/town has passed legislation at the local level to immediately allow restaurants to have outdoor dining spaces where possible. Obviously trickier in urban setting than more rural settings. Everyone wears masks. All stores have employees wearing masks and have installed plastic shields to protect patrons/employees. Parks and Beaches are open, some issues with lack of mask on beach concourses that may result in stricter rules/enforcement. New England, in general, is populated by people that can make minor sacrifices for a reasonable goal... like preventing gobs of people from suffering losses that are avoidable. 

Florida now has more cases than Europe. 
All along the US strategy is to not really care about the case count, and watch the available hospital space.  

If there is no Vax for 2020 this might work out to be for the best.  If a Vax does show up on the scene and works, we will have had needless deaths.

I still think goal is to flatten curve (at this point we aren't going to eradicate it).   My biggest issue is that while we accomplished that goal in the NE it does not appear the much of the rest of the country has gotten there.   I think numbers out of certain areas are back to showing exponential growth which will eventually swamp the hospitals in those regions.  

There was never a comprehensive plan in the USA.  Take a look around Europe.  That SHOULD have been the plan.  I get a lot of flack in this thread for supposedly being negative, but much of Europe is sitting in a very positive position. They took their lumps with tough shutdowns, they wore masks, they had unified decision-making in each country, and now Europe is in a position where they may be able to defeat the virus.  European countries will definitely have to be cautious for a second wave, but overall they've done a tremendous job.

The USA has had no plan, continues to have no plan, and will likely have no plan for the next 6 months.  

We can all argue over "what the goal was", but if we are realistic, we know that there was never a goal.

Also it depends how long you were at your parents house for. I've heard different things like if you were around the person or people for more then 10 mins definitely isolate. I would definitely try and get tested ASAP though 
I was at my parents house for about 2 hours on Father's Day weekend. I was outside 99% of the time and just used the bathroom. Prior to my visit, my sister/husband were there and were in the kitchen. When I walk in, I turn left, away from the kitchen, to use the bathroom, but was inside a few times. That weekend, my parents were around them moreso so I was probably ok for my visit, but my parents were likely exposed.

My bigger problem was yesterday. If my stepdad has it, he isn't showing any symptoms. I didn't ask because I didn't realize he was in the area of my sister last weekend. If he did catch it, I may have it after yesterday. So far, no health concerns.

There was never a comprehensive plan in the USA.  Take a look around Europe.  That SHOULD have been the plan.  I get a lot of flack in this thread for supposedly being negative, but much of Europe is sitting in a very positive position. They took their lumps with tough shutdowns, they wore masks, they had unified decision-making in each country, and now Europe is in a position where they may be able to defeat the virus.  European countries will definitely have to be cautious for a second wave, but overall they've done a tremendous job.

The USA has had no plan, continues to have no plan, and will likely have no plan for the next 6 months.  

We can all argue over "what the goal was", but if we are realistic, we know that there was never a goal.
What does "defeat the virus" mean? That everyone gets it but just at a slowed rate? That a lot of people won't get it until a vaccine is available? 

Many variables here, but if I’m understanding correctly, you weren’t directly exposed to anyone who tested positive. Potential sources include the bathroom on Father’s Day (unlikely, assuming you washed your hands), and your mom/dad today.

The diarrhea today would be too soon to attribute to exposure to your parents. And unless the headaches were really unusual, it’s unlikely they’d be your only COVID symptom.

In the absence of working a high risk occupation, where you’d put compromised individuals at risk, I don’t think you need to be tested. If you can, wait a couple days to see you’re parents’ results before resuming normal activity.
That's correct - on Father's Day. However, yesterday, I was in direct contact of my father who was exposed to my sister/husband 1 week earlier, for about 2 hours in an enclosed area with no masks.

Cases have always mattered.  Your shtick is dangerous and helps no one.
How is it schtick?  How is it dangerous?  To whom?

Case counts don't matter unless you really want to evaluate the efficacy of a vax.  Most everyone will get this thing, sorry if that is bad news. Just a matter of when.

What does "defeat the virus" mean? That everyone gets it but just at a slowed rate? That a lot of people won't get it until a vaccine is available? 
"Everyone getting it" is not a valid option.  That's not what they're doing in China, and that's not what they are doing in Europe.  No country should strive for herd immunity.  If they hit herd immunity, that means they failed to stop the virus.

If you can get the numbers down low enough, you can actually track active cases.  That makes it much easier to manage the spread.

I don't think anyone thinks we can completely eliminate the virus until a vaccine hits.  But we should be able to get the numbers low enough where some semblance of normal life can be reached.

But this is just my opinion.  I'm a nobody.   You're original point is basically correct.  There is no plan, at least in this country.

"Everyone getting it" is not a valid option.  That's not what they're doing in China, and that's not what they are doing in Europe.  No country should strive for herd immunity.  If they hit herd immunity, that means they failed to stop the virus.

If you can get the numbers down low enough, you can actually track active cases.  That makes it much easier to manage the spread.

I don't think anyone thinks we can completely eliminate the virus until a vaccine hits.  But we should be able to get the numbers low enough where some semblance of normal life can be reached.

But this is just my opinion.  I'm a nobody.   You're original point is basically correct.  There is no plan, at least in this country.
I'm not trying to badger, honestly...

So it seems you're saying that we're in the mode of "hold it at bay as much as possible until we get a vaccine"? 

Original goal: Flatten the curve to:

1. Prevent hospitals from being overloaded.

2. Increase supply of PPE, tests, etc.

3. Learn more about how the virus spreads and can be treated so that future outbreaks are controlled. And take preventative actions based on the information.

4. Put together testing and contact tracing protocols to manage outbreaks and prevent them from spiraling out of control.

5. Getting the viral load in the community low enough that #4 can happen.

I think that 1 and 2 were accomplished pretty well with the lockdown. #3 and #4 depends on where you are at. #5 is the biggest failure of the states doing poorly now.

The goal right now should be managing the rise of cases. If anyone believed that there wasn’t going to be a rise in cases, they had unrealistic expectations. There was always going to rise in cases but there’s a difference between that and the outbreaks we’re seeing in FL, TX and AZ and likely several other states in the upcoming weeks.

The idea that these outbreaks were inevitable is just plain wrong. States didn’t wait long enough to open up and the obvious happened - the viral load remaining in the community spread to all the people who decided they were done with quarantine.

The goals now go back to not overloading the hospitals and again to prepare to make future outbreaks less severe.

How is it schtick?  How is it dangerous?  To whom?

Case counts don't matter unless you really want to evaluate the efficacy of a vax.  Most everyone will get this thing, sorry if that is bad news. Just a matter of when.
So let me get this straight.  Talking about case counts is fear mongering, but saying that most everyone will get this thing is not?

To me, your statement is 100X more "negative" than anything I've ever posted in this thread.

That should never be the goal.  But hey, if that's what you think is going to happen, I'm fine with that perspective.  You definitely could be right.  But I see far too many success stories all across the world to concede herd immunity.  

Original goal: Flatten the curve to:

1. Prevent hospitals from being overloaded.

2. Increase supply of PPE, tests, etc.

3. Learn more about how the virus spreads and can be treated so that future outbreaks are controlled. And take preventative actions based on the information.

4. Put together testing and contact tracing protocols to manage outbreaks and prevent them from spiraling out of control.

5. Getting the viral load in the community low enough that #4 can happen.

I think that 1 and 2 were accomplished pretty well with the lockdown. #3 and #4 depends on where you are at. #5 is the biggest failure of the states doing poorly now.

The goal right now should be managing the rise of cases. If anyone believed that there wasn’t going to be a rise in cases, they had unrealistic expectations. There was always going to rise in cases but there’s a difference between that and the outbreaks we’re seeing in FL, TX and AZ and likely several other states in the upcoming weeks.

The idea that these outbreaks were inevitable is just plain wrong. States didn’t wait long enough to open up and the obvious happened - the viral load remaining in the community spread to all the people who decided they were done with quarantine.

The goals now go back to not overloading the hospitals and again to prepare to make future outbreaks less severe.
Texas never had it until now. The case load was low, but they locked down anyways.  You can say that the cases weren't high because of testing, but the % positives and deaths didn't really stand up to those metrics like other areas.  

This is the first wave, the wave NYC went thru. 

So let me get this straight.  Talking about case counts is fear mongering, but saying that most everyone will get this thing is not?

To me, your statement is 100X more "negative" than anything I've ever posted in this thread.

That should never be the goal.  But hey, if that's what you think is going to happen, I'm fine with that perspective.  You definitely could be right.  But I see far too many success stories over the world to concede herd immunity.  
Why can't both be true?

Defeating the virus is dumb phrase to use because it implies we can win. The ultimate goal should be to minimize the damage - cases and ultimately deaths until better solutions are available. We will continue to learn how to better stop the spread and treat the virus. The further we push out cases, the better outcomes we will have.

Your sister and her husband sound like they aren't very bright nor caring about your parents. Maybe we could start a "How to do everything wrong and spread it to family" thread and use this one as the OP.

Good luck. It would suck for you to be alone and come down with a bad case of this. Rooting for you not to have this thing.
Thanks!

I actually just spoke to my sister and she wasn't happy to hear from me on this topic. Call lasted about 1 minute before she hung up on me - I asked (somewhat serious, but also with a tad of sarcasm) if she feels awful about spreading this virus or just indifferent? 

Clearly, when she answered the phone, I could tell she wasn't in a very good mood so I will have to try again with her later.

It's just one county but it's a big one, Clark County, Nevada, the one where I live, and the home of Las Vegas, one of the world's finest petri dishes, and it has seen cases rise steadily for the past 30 days, while hospitalizations and deaths have continued to decline consistently. Weird. Note the Strip and the casinos were allowed to reopen June 4th. Just an example of a place where cases have risen while deaths and hospitalizations have not. Just got to wait 2 More Weeks!  Err, wait...

https://media.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/download/COVID-19/updates/20200629-COVID-19-Trends-Clark-County-PUBLIC.pdf

Texas never had it until now. The case load was low, but they locked down anyways.  You can say that the cases weren't high because of testing, but the % positives and deaths didn't really stand up to those metrics like other areas.  

This is the first wave, the wave NYC went thru. 
Did Texas meet the task force requirements when they opened up? It wasn’t bad in AZ or FL either but they opened too soon with a community viral load too high without enough precautions to prevent the rise in cases from getting out of control.

Did Texas meet the task force requirements when they opened up? It wasn’t bad in AZ or FL either but they opened too soon with a community viral load too high without enough precautions to prevent the rise in cases from getting out of control.
TX and FL met the guidelines set forth by the POtuS before reopening. 

The latter is probably true.  Though I would probably argue you need a sustained R0 that is low rather than viral load, but that's not important.

It's more a matter of what was opened (bars, restaurants, churches, maybe gyms and some others) than the metrics used to open them that was the issue.  

Users who are viewing this thread