What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

Florida: If someone told you there are 6-7 things you can do starting now to get your COVID-19 deaths to single digits daily and have your hospitals be practically empty of COVID patients by September 30th, would you do them?
Of course. 2 issues with that.

Number 1: Nobody is mandating the 6-7 things.

Number 2: When someone tries to, people lose their minds about their rights and freedoms.

What is Georgia getting right that Florida is getting wrong? Both opened up around the same time, and the numbers are far different. I think Georgia eased restrictions first, actually. 

Good spot for me to jump in...

For anyone who did not know: All Restaurants are CLOSED in Miami and to my understanding that means no curbside which is sort of like a stay at home order. Many other types of businesses will be closed. Personally, the rate is so high down there and it's painfully obvious that people were never going to follow any of the social distancing, you almost wonder if they should test for people WHO HAVE NOT gotten the virus. 

BROWARD COUNTY: A copycat circus of leaders there, it would be surprising if they don't follow suit to what is happening in Miami/Dade.

Palm Beach County: Not sure yet but...it could happen here but it stops at PBC, can't ever see Martin County just North of here shutting down. They're shooting for herd immunity up there, don't even think they test despite their claims. 

Wife's Hospital will not report to the news but they are at FULL CAPACITY in their ICU.

And let me tell you what you heard coming out of the ICU beds if you were wondering who might be filling these beds..."They never told us we could actually get this." or..."I'm too young to be having these issues with the virus, they said we couldn't get sick" I'm just sharing what I know or have heard first hand, not trying to ramp things up or feed the need for Bad News, I prefer to try and put a sunshine spoin on most of these things but right now I would be doing the board a disservice by fibbing about what is really happening here. 

I want to connect all this to a greater urge or push for folks who haven't yet had to experience all of this happening around them, you should start planning now. You might not get your surge until October and I hope never but this thing will continue to spread slowly and then once it gets into populated areas it tends to move faster. 

They have ordered my wife BACK HOME, she was going 3 days on 2 days off, now it's full time at home and that causes a lot of strain with both of us working from home all day. But that's not a real problem right now, ICU Beds are a problem and hospitals not communicating with the local news affiliates could be a major issue if you ask me.
I'm so sorry MOP, hang in there gb.

Remember when many posters were in here saying "Georgia has been open for a month and nothings happening"

https://twitter.com/Georgiacorona/status/1280585324696084484?s=20
Georgia opened nearly three months ago. If we're alarmed about the rise just lately, how do we explain the sustained declines on that chart for the 6-8 weeks after the state opened? Perhaps transmission of the virus really doesn't correlate too well with how open or closed a given state is. Perhaps it spreads more now in Georgia cuz it's very hot and A/C is crankin with people staying in.

Georgia opened nearly three months ago. If we're alarmed about the rise just lately, how do we explain the sustained declines on that chart for the 6-8 weeks after the state opened? Perhaps transmission of the virus really doesn't correlate too well with how open or closed a given state is. Perhaps it spreads more now in Georgia cuz it's very hot and A/C is crankin with people staying in.
Or something else may have happened between the opening up and now, particularly around the hottest spot of Atlanta.

And let me tell you what you heard coming out of the ICU beds if you were wondering who might be filling these beds..."They never told us we could actually get this." or..."I'm too young to be having these issues with the virus, they said we couldn't get sick" I'm just sharing what I know or have heard first hand, not trying to ramp things up or feed the need for Bad News, I prefer to try and put a sunshine spoin on most of these things but right now I would be doing the board a disservice by fibbing about what is really happening here. 
Great post. Sorry to snip it, but this part is important as you point out.

No one should want to get this virus, or should be ambivalent about getting this virus. It makes people extremely sick in some cases. Younger people. And the symptoms can stay around for months. Richard Quest was on CNN today describing his bout with it. He's still dealing with health issues 100 days later.

Obviously the point about not giving it to other people is made frequently. What isn't brought up enough is that no one should think "if I get it I'll be fine, it's my grandparents I am worried about". No. You should be worried about getting it, there is no type of guarantee you will be fine. 

Wife's Hospital will not report to the news but they are at FULL CAPACITY in their ICU.

They have ordered my wife BACK HOME, she was going 3 days on 2 days off, now it's full time at home and that causes a lot of strain with both of us working from home all day. But that's not a real problem right now, ICU Beds are a problem and hospitals not communicating with the local news affiliates could be a major issue if you ask me.
What do the hospitals gain from not volunteering their ICU capacity? Why be secretive? Or are we thinking that it's politically motivated from someone outside of the hospital system?

Well, Florida is charging on ahead with school in the fall, come hell or high water(and since it's hurricane season, both are a possibility). This seems like a bad idea to me, but what do I know? I've only got 3 kids of elementary school age.

I'm sorry, I really am.  I feel like Florida is literally making every conceivable mistake possible right now and I feel for all the residents.  FL makes up 40% of my territory for work, I probably spend 3-5 weeks there a year, I adore the state, I'd love to move there one day, and so this makes me sick from afar.  

Florida: If someone told you there are 6-7 things you can do starting now to get your COVID-19 deaths to single digits daily and have your hospitals be practically empty of COVID patients by September 30th, would you do them?
Florida is getting shelled right now. You have leadership at the top in Tallahassee saying one thing and then you have local County Officials and even smaller towns and cities implementing whatever they feel like. They have all passed emergency votes/legislation that was never voted on by any citizens and gives them the right to do whatever they want right now. When it's ordering everyone to wear masks, if that is something you feel strongly about then you probably are happy. But they are passing a lot more than mask mandates right now. But let me share what it feels like to someone who isn't here and I will go NFL for the analogy, I think this one will awaken memories for many...

I remember Buddy Ryan starting a fist fight on the sidelines with the Houston Oilers OC in the middle of an NFL game and I cannot think of the OC name off the top but he acted like he didn't need to understand what Buddy Ryan was trying to set up for his defense and for every action there is a reaction, for every choice there is a result or consequence, and I've never seen a football team or any organized team of folks able to have success when everyone is running in opposite directions. In Florida, everyone is running in opposite or different directions.

There weren't sustained declines for 6-8 weeks.  The declines continued for a week or two after reopening, then there was a plateau in cases, then a slow rise, and then a very big uptick in cases.

Florida is getting shelled right now. You have leadership at the top in Tallahassee saying one thing and then you have local County Officials and even smaller towns and cities implementing whatever they feel like. They have all passed emergency votes/legislation that was never voted on by any citizens and gives them the right to do whatever they want right now. When it's ordering everyone to wear masks, if that is something you feel strongly about then you probably are happy. But they are passing a lot more than mask mandates right now. But let me share what it feels like to someone who isn't here and I will go NFL for the analogy, I think this one will awaken memories for many...

I remember Buddy Ryan starting a fist fight on the sidelines with the Houston Oilers OC in the middle of an NFL game and I cannot think of the OC name off the top but he acted like he didn't need to understand what Buddy Ryan was trying to set up for his defense and for every action there is a reaction, for every choice there is a result or consequence, and I've never seen a football team or any organized team of folks able to have success when everyone is running in opposite directions. In Florida, everyone is running in opposite or different directions.
Kevin Gilbride

First baseball tournament of the year in Edison NJ. Hundreds of people there and dozens of teams. Not a single players, umpire, coach, or parent was wearing a mask. The players all stayed in the dugouts, the ump called balls and strikes from behind the pitcher and another ump stayed 6ft to the side of the catcher (i guess for plays at the plate?). But the players tipped caps at the end instead of post game handshakes. 

There weren't sustained declines for 6-8 weeks.  The declines continued for a week or two after reopening, then there was a plateau in cases, then a slow rise, and then a very big uptick in cases.
Wait, that chart is for hospitalizations. Why are you talking about cases?

The rise correlates a lot more with the daily Atlanta protests/unrest than with them opening.

Why would you expect anything different?  Virus wasn't here until Feb.
Reports keep coming out of cases earlier and earlier. I was 100% convinced in April that it wasn't here earlier than Late February / March. Then reports kept coming out of earlier and earlier cases. That made me only about 80% sure it wasn't covid.  (Don't kick a guy for holding out hope).

https://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/2020/06/state-now-identifies-302-cases-pre-dating-first-confirmations-of-coronavirus-in-ohio-march-9.html

Since then, the number of early cases has continued to grow as part of the daily reports from the health department. The earliest two cases now date to Jan. 2.
My wife kept telling me "You had it already" as I was deathly ill with COVID-like symptoms for about a month starting the last couple days of December. I kept telling her. "Nope. The data doesn't match that." I took the test basically to be able to say "I told you so" :D   

But part of me was hoping either I was completely wrong, or was one of the ones who may have had it and was asymptomatic. 

Of course. 2 issues with that.

Number 1: Nobody is mandating the 6-7 things.

Number 2: When someone tries to, people lose their minds about their rights and freedoms.
And this is why we can't have nice things. Not just FL, everywhere that didn't really embrace the lockdowns which is pretty much everywhere aside from NY.

First baseball tournament of the year in Edison NJ. Hundreds of people there and dozens of teams. Not a single players, umpire, coach, or parent was wearing a mask. The players all stayed in the dugouts, the ump called balls and strikes from behind the pitcher and another ump stayed 6ft to the side of the catcher (i guess for plays at the plate?). But the players tipped caps at the end instead of post game handshakes. 
Interesting as NJ was not supposed to start games until this week :)

we went to Delaware.   The teams except for us definitely did not distance. Umpires were normal

saw many parents with masks.   We kept our distance as much as possible.  A team good game afterwards from the foul line.  No award ceremony, just handed us the stuff and said congrats

Last edited by a moderator:
Just went to Smart & Final to pick up some lunch related items.  It's nice working from home, I guess.

99% mask usage by employees and customers.  Only saw one with no mask; an older Asian lady, but curiously wearing gloves.  

When is this gonna end?  :(   Asking for a friend.

When is this gonna end?  :(   Asking for a friend.
Of course no one knows for sure. Myself ... I am mentally prepared for "about three years" or so before expecting American society to return to a pre-COVID world. That doesn't mean I'm envisioning three years of lockdowns. Likewise, I don't expect a vaccine in three years. It just means that I'm ready mentally for the long haul.

Reports keep coming out of cases earlier and earlier. I was 100% convinced in April that it wasn't here earlier than Late February / March. Then reports kept coming out of earlier and earlier cases. That made me only about 80% sure it wasn't covid.  (Don't kick a guy for holding out hope).

https://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/2020/06/state-now-identifies-302-cases-pre-dating-first-confirmations-of-coronavirus-in-ohio-march-9.html

My wife kept telling me "You had it already" as I was deathly ill with COVID-like symptoms for about a month starting the last couple days of December. I kept telling her. "Nope. The data doesn't match that." I took the test basically to be able to say "I told you so" :D   

But part of me was hoping either I was completely wrong, or was one of the ones who may have had it and was asymptomatic. 
I think it has been reported that people that have tested positive for the virus do not necessarily have antibodies. 

Justin Hart makes it too political, but he has some nice graphs. Looks like the CFR for all age groups is going down. Better treatment and earlier diagnosis?

https://mobile.twitter.com/justin_hart/status/1280569134258905090
Bigger denominator is likely the biggest factor. More cases are being identified and confirmed. Treatment has also gotten better. Both are expected with any pandemic. The main thing that will reverse that trend is the overwhelming of hospitals  which won’t allow for proper treatment of everyone. That’s the path we’re on in many places.

Getting a test tomorrow morning. I have nasal drip, a light cough and sore throat.  Getting some phlegm up when I cough now and I also have tightness in my chest.  Light headache. 

No fever or muscle aches yet. Had some intestinal discomfort yesterday but in fairness I ate and drank like a pig over the fourth weekend so who knows.

What were you sourcing when you posted? Was it something on the WHO's website directly? Was is something heard on the radio or seen on TV? Something in the local paper?

You dropped something of a controversial statement without backup. You can understand that people will want to peel back the layers and know where the statements are coming from.
Threshold is 7% of all deaths.
OK, someone referenced this on another board, and used the term "death rate threshold". Googling that term and searching Google News, I learned that many right-wing online media sources have reported something about this "threshold":

TheFederalist.com - "CDC: After 10-Week Decline In COVID-19 Deaths, It May Soon No Longer Be An Epidemic" (7/6/2020)
     TheBlaze.com  - "CDC might stop calling COVID an 'epidemic' because of major drop in mortality rate" (7/7/2020)

IMHO, these outlets -- and others -- are misinterpreting a section of the CDC's "Key Updates for Week 26, ending June 27, 2020" (7/3/2020) which reads:

Mortality
Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC) decreased from 9.0% during week 25 to 5.9% during week 26, representing the tenth week of a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC. The percentage is currently at the epidemic threshold but will likely change as more death certificates are processed, particularly for recent weeks.
From an earlier CDC update, "COVIDView Summary ending on March 28, 2020" (4/4/2020):

Mortality
The percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza is 8.2% which is above the epidemic threshold of 7.2%.  Deaths due to pneumonia have increased sharply since the end of February, while those due to influenza increased modestly through early March and declined this week. Deaths attributed specifically to COVID-19 will be reported next week.
However, also from the CDC - "2019-2020 Influenza Season Week 26, ending June 27, 2020" (7/2/2020):

Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) Mortality Surveillance
Based on National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) mortality surveillance data available on July 2, 2020, 5.1% of the deaths occurring during the week ending June 27, 2020 (week 26) were due to P&I. This percentage is below the epidemic threshold of 5.9% for week 26.

Weekly mortality surveillance data include a combination of machine coded and manually coded causes of death collected from death certificates. Percentages of deaths due to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) are higher among manually coded records than more rapidly available machine coded records. Due to the additional time needed for manual coding, the initially reported P&I percentages may increase as more data are received and processed and for week 26 this may push the percentage of P&I deaths above the epidemic threshold.
Another CDC reference, this time from 4/18/2008 (yes, twelve years ago):

Pneumonia and Influenza-Related Mortality
Pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was listed as an underlying or contributing cause of death for 8.9% of all deaths reported through the 122 Cities Mortality Reporting System for the week ending April 5, 2008. This percentage was above the epidemic threshold of 6.9% for the week and marked the thirteenth consecutive week that the proportion of all deaths attributed to P&I was above the epidemic threshold (Figure 4). The proportion of deaths from P&I exceeded the epidemic threshold during week ending January 5 and peaked at 9.1% during the week ending March 15.
So, what is "the epidemic threshold", anyway? Looks like it might be a non-static situational number as opposed to a one-size-fits-all benchmark for all pathogens at all times. It's also curious that as much as we in this thread have been following the COVID-19 news since January, that this concept of an "epidemic threshold" -- especially expressed in terms of a "death rate" -- has never been a front-burner concept. In fact, I can't recall it being mentioned at all.

Meanwhile, a broad counterpoint:

Fauci calls focus on lower coronavirus death rate, touted by Trump, ‘a false narrative’ (Washington Post, 7/7/2020 [free]) 

Some further reading that came up as I was trying to determine the nature of the "epidemic threshold". Makes it look a lot like a case-by-case number that differs depending on specific conditions:

Estimating the distance to an epidemic threshold (NIH.gov, 6/27/2018)

ABSTRACT
The epidemic threshold of the susceptible–infected–recovered model is a boundary separating parameters that permit epidemics from those that do not. This threshold corresponds to parameters where the system's equilibrium becomes unstable. Consequently, we use the average rate at which deviations from the equilibrium shrink to define a distance to this threshold.
https://www.healthknowledge.org.uk/...earch-methods/1a-epidemiology/epidemic-theory

Epidemic theory (effective & basic reproduction numbers, epidemic thresholds) & techniques for analysis of infectious disease data (construction & use of epidemic curves, generation numbers, exceptional reporting & identification of significant clusters) (Public Health Action Support Team [UK], undated)

Epidemics

An epidemic is defined as an increase in the frequency of occurrence of a disease in a population above its baseline, or expected level, in a given time period. The term is used broadly and the number of cases and time period are often unspecified. It is generally more widespread than an outbreak, which usually implies two or more epidemiologically linked cases, although the two terms have been used interchangeably. Additionally, the term has also been used to describe increasing levels of non-communicable disease, such as an ‘epidemic of cardiovascular disease.’

The definition above is general, but the term has been defined quantitatively for certain infections and a threshold is selected above which the term ‘epidemic’ is applied. For example, in England levels of influenza are routinely monitored drawing on data from GP consultations and lab diagnoses. The Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) has defined the baseline threshold for ‘normal seasonal activity’ in England as 30 to 200 GP consultations for influenza-like illness per week per 100,000 population. The epidemic threshold would be reached if the number of consultations surpassed 200 per week per 100,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some good news today, wife's uncle was finally admitted to a hospital in the Dominican Republic and after getting some oxygen is doing much better. Was able to Zoom with the family in the US and crack a few jokes. Huge change from a couple of days ago when he had trouble breathing and could barely speak. Not totally out of the woods by any stretch but things are looking positive for now.  It's crazy, he took this whole thing very seriously and basically quarantined in his condo for two months - left one time about a week and a half ago to go to Santo Domingo and he immediately catches it. This thing is for real. 

today is looking to be the worst fatality day in a month.  I assume part of this is a delay in death reporting due to July 4.

Texas set records in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths today.  it’s certainly not getting better here.
Wait three weeks when this weekend's poor behavior really kicks in. San Antonio is already down to 11% of available staffed beds. Not just ICU or COVID beds mind you. 11% of staffed beds PERIOD.

Deaths in the 21 "Outbreak States"

(CA, TX, FL, AZ, GA, NC, LA, OH, TN, SC, AL, WA, WI, MS, UT, MO, AK, NV, OK, KS, NM)

T Jun 23: 437

W Jun 24: 458

Th Jun 25: 342

F Jun 26: 327

S Jun 27:261

Su Jun 28: 122

M Jun 29: 182

T Jun 30: 479

W July 1: 428

Th July 2: 418

F July 3: 357

S July 4: 134

Su July 5: 133

M July 6: 276

T July 7: 634

Deaths in the 21 "Outbreak States"

(CA, TX, FL, AZ, GA, NC, LA, OH, TN, SC, AL, WA, WI, MS, UT, MO, AK, NV, OK, KS, NM)

T Jun 23: 437

W Jun 24: 458

Th Jun 25: 342

F Jun 26: 327

S Jun 27:261

Su Jun 28: 122

M Jun 29: 182

T Jun 30: 479

W July 1: 428

Th July 2: 418

F July 3: 357

S July 4: 134

Su July 5: 133

M July 6: 276

T July 7: 634
7 day average is probably a better indicator because of reporting delays over the weekend. Using your data only:

6/28: 278

6/29: 304

6/30: 310

7/1: 305

7/2: 316

7/3: 321

7/4: 302

7/5: 304

7/6: 317

7/7: 340

A steady increase with a little dip around the 4th of July. I’d expect this to be the start of an upward trend in deaths.

Another consideration is that these are deaths that are reported in the previous 24 hours, not necessarily the deaths that happened in the last 24 hours. If these other states are like AZ, death reporting is delayed by weeks. There were 117 reported deaths today but only about half happened in the last 10 days and about 30% between June 21st and 28th. When they finish back filling the deaths to the actual dates they happened, the epi death curve looks like it’s steady increasing.

Someone made a nice graphic of how the epi curve has changed as new cases are reported.

https://mobile.twitter.com/koko_vivian/status/1280560068925128707

7 day average is probably a better indicator because of reporting delays over the weekend. Using your data only:

6/28: 278

6/29: 304

6/30: 310

7/1: 305

7/2: 316

7/3: 321

7/4: 302

7/5: 304

7/6: 317

7/7: 340

A steady increase with a little dip around the 4th of July. I’d expect this to be the start of an upward trend in deaths.

Another consideration is that these are deaths that are reported in the previous 24 hours, not necessarily the deaths that happened in the last 24 hours. If these other states are like AZ, death reporting is delayed by weeks. There were 117 reported deaths today but only about half happened in the last 10 days and about 30% between June 21st and 28th. When they finish back filling the deaths to the actual dates they happened, the epi death curve looks like it’s steady increasing.

Someone made a nice graphic of how the epi curve has changed as new cases are reported.

https://mobile.twitter.com/koko_vivian/status/1280560068925128707
I agree an average is a great way to look at the data.  Tomorrow I was gonna actually look incorporate averages into a spreadsheet.

I also like to compare data week over week.  Sunday and Monday are always low, Tuesday always has a bump. 

Last 3 Tuesdays: 437,479,634

A steady increase but today was likely a little bit of extra backlog due to a 3-day weekend. Tomorrow should give us a better idea of accurate trends.

Things are getting worse in many states.  In many states, they are getting better.  Surely you can see that, right?
Sure.  So let's do the common sense things where you can.  

At least in Texas the restaurant seatings have pulled back alot.  Plus more masks.  Could see that impact very soon. 

Sure.  So let's do the common sense things where you can.  

At least in Texas the restaurant seatings have pulled back alot.  Plus more masks.  Could see that impact very soon. 
Unfortunately, due to the timing of the mask law in conjunction with July 4th, I expect it will be close to a month before we fully reap the benefit. Wish Abbott had done it a moth earlier minimum. 

Tennessee pushing back to Phase 1.

Bars closed.

Restaurants (>50% food) open till 10pm.

Spaced seating.

Masks unless you're at a table. 

Im glad, frankly. It's needed. People are being stupid. 
Where did you see this?

Of course no one knows for sure. Myself ... I am mentally prepared for "about three years" or so before expecting American society to return to a pre-COVID world. That doesn't mean I'm envisioning three years of lockdowns. Likewise, I don't expect a vaccine in three years. It just means that I'm ready mentally for the long haul.
That is sad and depressing.  I am sad for my children.  My family should be in a very happy period of life with where my kids are age-wise, and this is just a big pile of crap.  

I feel bad for my parents, who are in their twilight years.

And yeah, I am selfishly bummed that we can't do things that we like doing.

Not trying to argue or tell you that you're a chicken little or whatever.  It just makes me sad.

Ohio just mandated masks in the 7 counties with the worse data and you would think the governor killed everyone's first born child.  The responses on Facebook are ridiculous.  From "He is trying to control us"  to "he is trying to kill us from heat stroke".
It’s ridiculous isn’t it? We’ve got freaking county sheriffs holding special press conferences this evening just to say they aren’t enforcing anything.  It’s hard not to be bitter at the lack of simple selflessness. These last 4 months have been sadly eye opening for me.

Tennessee's "Phase 1" included restaurants and retail at 50% capacity. Implemented on April 27.

Their "Phase 2" went into effect on May 22, with restaurant capacity increased to 75%.

Several counties and cities went to "Phase 3" in mid-June.

New cases statewide started spiking in late June.

Users who are viewing this thread