What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

I don’t need to be told to chill by a dude that earlier was claiming that hippos would kill more people than covid. You haven’t been exactly right up to this point
That was like what? February?  Maybe before.  I know a few scrub their comment history here, but I don't, feel free to bump it.  It's ok to be wrong about stuff, happens a lot, it's how we get better.  At the time we were looking at a disease that was not killing very many people, and seemed to be well circled up in a single province in China.  

True to an extent, but some of the misinformation is a function of learning how we deal with a novel infection. As a scientist, you surely understand the process of hypothesis generation and revision based on available evidence, but not everyone realizes the state of the science is constantly subject to change. There weren’t any covid “experts” at the beginning of the pandemic, only historical public health guidance which hadn’t been rigorously tested, and assumptions based on other infections. It’s hard to be too dogmatic given those circumstances, and easy to understand when mistakes are made.

IMO politics has played a much bigger role in derailing our pandemic response.
In general I agree, but we were brow beat to follow the "experts" by several in this thread back in February and March.  At the time I argued that we don't know enough to make certain statements with such conviction because the experts were still trying to get a handle on the virus.

As to the questioning of the experts, the "mask makes no difference" stance by CDC (supposedly to limit a run on PPE masks) early on was baffling and just led to a lot misinformation and distrust.  The stance by WHO about how great China handled the outbreak and other Chinese misinformation has made them look like a political entity rather than a scientific one.

I am still confronting intelligent people that refer back to the CDC's first stance on wearing masks and use that as an example of why they do not trust the "experts".   It gets quite exasperating.

That was like what? February?  Maybe before.  I know a few scrub their comment history here, but I don't, feel free to bump it.  It's ok to be wrong about stuff, happens a lot, it's how we get better.  At the time we were looking at a disease that was not killing very many people, and seemed to be well circled up in a single province in China.  
That’s the point: in February or March you made the mistake of being rude and dismissive to people like me and a few others that were pretty much exactly right about it. Don’t make that mistake of being dismissive again. Your track record on the topic justifies not being dismissive of others. I encourage you to watch the Rogan/Weinstein clip I posted above  and then see if you are dismissive 

That’s the point: in February or March you made the mistake of being rude and dismissive to people like me and a few others that were pretty much exactly right about it. Don’t make that mistake of being dismissive again. Your track record on the topic justifies not being dismissive of others. I encourage you to watch the Rogan/Weinstein clip I posted above  and then see if you are dismissive 
I saw it five months ago when it aired.  Hell, I probably linked it then.  I understand the concepts here.  

He goes down a rabbit hole, but back up a little bit.  Let's say a lab was doing this work, working on CV that would cross between humans and other animals.  What's the long con here?  Create a Vax for it, then release it and vax your population for a disease with a 0.5% IFR?  What does that get you?  I think Tom Clancy had a story like this, where some overlord wanted to release a virus at the Olympics and wipe out most of the planet and re-start.  This virus seems a pretty ####ty one if that was the goal.

Yes, there were labs working on CV, there are labs working on all sorts of ####.  Some of it ethical, like changing the RNA of yeast to ferment beet juice to make fake meat taste like meat.  Some of it not.  

Taking this to another level, if it was grown in a lab and it released accidentally, now what?  I hardly think anyone would really give a crap.  #### happens.  The world isn't going to "Defund Science" or whatever cancel culture nonsense people want to grasp at.

I saw it five months ago when it aired.  Hell, I probably linked it then.  I understand the concepts here.  

He goes down a rabbit hole, but back up a little bit.  Let's say a lab was doing this work, working on CV that would cross between humans and other animals.  What's the long con here?  Create a Vax for it, then release it and vax your population for a disease with a 0.5% IFR?  What does that get you?  I think Tom Clancy had a story like this, where some overlord wanted to release a virus at the Olympics and wipe out most of the planet and re-start.  This virus seems a pretty ####ty one if that was the goal.

Yes, there were labs working on CV, there are labs working on all sorts of ####.  Some of it ethical, like changing the RNA of yeast to ferment beet juice to make fake meat taste like meat.  Some of it not.  

Taking this to another level, if it was grown in a lab and it released accidentally, now what?  I hardly think anyone would really give a crap.  #### happens.  The world isn't going to "Defund Science" or whatever cancel culture nonsense people want to grasp at.
I appreciate you dropping the snarkiness. A "con" is not a requirement for covid 19 to be a result of a laboratory accident. That narrative needs to be completely erased. Neither myself or Bret Weinstein ever made any claims that a con was the reason behind Covid.   Accidents and sloppy work happen--and when they do--protocols moving forward change to prevent those things  from happening again.   Chernobyl, three mile island, and the Fukushima nuclear accidents weren't cons--but they sure as hell changed the landscapes and protocols for the full endorsements of nuclear power.  If it becomes evident that covid 19 was a result of a lab escape of scientific research--the landscape and parameters of how research is conducted will change dramatically.  That's just a reality. 

Secondly--if covid 19 is a result of genetic mutuation through scientific research--it changes everything.  Do you think that genetically modified foods and crops are exactly the same as completely natural ones? Do you think they have the exact same characteristics and can be evaluated by the exact same measures as non genetically modified foods?   If Covid is the first really widespread genetically modified disease out there--assuming that it will mutate just like a natural counterpart is a huge assumption.   You cannot take decades of mutation adaption from natural diseases like influenza and compare it to 10 months of mutations from a genetically modified covid and make confident parallels.  So yes--if it is indeed genetically modified--everybody should "give a crap" because it's predictability becomes a lot more unknown.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still confronting intelligent people that refer back to the CDC's first stance on wearing masks and use that as an example of why they do not trust the "experts".   It gets quite exasperating.
I'm one of those people.

I've always noticed that Asian cultures do a lot of mask-wearing.  Like most westerners, I wrote that off as weird little cultural quirk until covid came along and we started talking about masks.  Our "experts" (most notably Fauci) swore up and down that masks were useless and if anything they were bad because they gave folks a false sense of security.  I tended to believe our scientists, but I could never totally shake the idea that maybe Asian countries were onto something -- after all, they had more experience with pandemics than we did and nobody was ever able to provide any concrete evidence for why they were right and their Asian counterparts were wrong.  But hey, our scientists know what they're talking about and they wouldn't be telling people not to wear masks during a pandemic unless they had good reason for confidence in their judgement.

Then it became pretty clear that the CDC was, in fact, totally wrong and were just really slow in admitting as much.  Even then, everybody clung to the transparently absurd idea that "my mask protects you and your mask protects me" when that made no sense whatsoever even to an educated layman.  Sure enough, it took six months but finally our "experts" conceded that masks do actually protect the wearer, which we were misled about all this time.  

I was incensed about the mask thing this spring because I trusted our folks against my better judgement and they were arrogantly and spectacularly wrong.  And then they doubled down on wrong by stating that masks don't help the people who wear them.  None of this had any direct effect on me because I took covid extremely seriously from the beginning and was an early mask adopter anyway.  But I will never forget that these people were either stupidly wrong about masks or were deliberately lying about them.  I will also never forget that the same people who told us not to attend church, weddings, funerals, silver anniversaries, etc. also told us that it was perfectly okay to attend mass protests.  Every single one of those people can go #### themselves.  You don't get do-overs on stuff like this.  

Again, my main difference with Facebook Karen is that I'm strongly in the "skip church, skip the gym, wear a damn mask" camp.  I have not attended church or gone to my gym once since spring break, and I am a regular at both.  I don't wear a mask when I'm walking around outside or sitting my private office -- I am not a mask puritan -- but I was wearing one in the grocery store back in April when hardly anybody else was and I always wear them when I venture out, which is not often these days.  

This isn't the PSF so I don't want to veer off into a discussion of our political leaders, but everybody in this thread understands the damage that some of them did in politicizing the coronavirus.  I don't think we've fully reckoned with how much similar damage our non-political public health community did.

I'm one of those people.

I've always noticed that Asian cultures do a lot of mask-wearing.  Like most westerners, I wrote that off as weird little cultural quirk until covid came along and we started talking about masks.  Our "experts" (most notably Fauci) swore up and down that masks were useless and if anything they were bad because they gave folks a false sense of security.  I tended to believe our scientists, but I could never totally shake the idea that maybe Asian countries were onto something -- after all, they had more experience with pandemics than we did and nobody was ever able to provide any concrete evidence for why they were right and their Asian counterparts were wrong.  But hey, our scientists know what they're talking about and they wouldn't be telling people not to wear masks during a pandemic unless they had good reason for confidence in their judgement.

Then it became pretty clear that the CDC was, in fact, totally wrong and were just really slow in admitting as much.  Even then, everybody clung to the transparently absurd idea that "my mask protects you and your mask protects me" when that made no sense whatsoever even to an educated layman.  Sure enough, it took six months but finally our "experts" conceded that masks do actually protect the wearer, which we were misled about all this time.  

I was incensed about the mask thing this spring because I trusted our folks against my better judgement and they were arrogantly and spectacularly wrong.  And then they doubled down on wrong by stating that masks don't help the people who wear them.  None of this had any direct effect on me because I took covid extremely seriously from the beginning and was an early mask adopter anyway.  But I will never forget that these people were either stupidly wrong about masks or were deliberately lying about them.  I will also never forget that the same people who told us not to attend church, weddings, funerals, silver anniversaries, etc. also told us that it was perfectly okay to attend mass protests.  Every single one of those people can go #### themselves.  You don't get do-overs on stuff like this.  

Again, my main difference with Facebook Karen is that I'm strongly in the "skip church, skip the gym, wear a damn mask" camp.  I have not attended church or gone to my gym once since spring break, and I am a regular at both.  I don't wear a mask when I'm walking around outside or sitting my private office -- I am not a mask puritan -- but I was wearing one in the grocery store back in April when hardly anybody else was and I always wear them when I venture out, which is not often these days.  

This isn't the PSF so I don't want to veer off into a discussion of our political leaders, but everybody in this thread understands the damage that some of them did in politicizing the coronavirus.  I don't think we've fully reckoned with how much similar damage our non-political public health community did.
Well said sir.

This just seems to be what I hear from anyone that spends 2-3hrs a day on facebook.

Facebook Karen: We want to have a wedding but the {insert something here} won't let us.

Facebook Chad: JuST CalL IT A Pr0teZt loaoozlo111!
Could you point me to the inaccuracy? Even Chad and Karen are right sometimes. If the narrative fits, there's a different set of rules.

Well, they're sort of right.  A whole lot people who should have known better set their credibility on fire this summer because of politics.
I don't know ... I think the stance of a lot of the media was something like "Well, for them ... the George Floyd issue, in the moment, dwarfs their immediate concerns about COVID. Are we going to sit here in this studio and spend every night criticizing them for spreading COVID? Or are we going to cover their protests in their intended context -- as protests against social injustice?"

Making the protests - in that moment - about COVID spread probably seemed super tone deaf. A protestor could have perhaps credibly said "Some things are bigger than COVID" :shrug:  It's not like the protestors were going to stop in their tracks and go home because of anything said about them in the media regarding COVID spread. "The media" wasn't controlling the protestors -- sometimes, I get the feeling that some think "the media" could have "said something" and completely nipped the protests in the bud. That's not the way it works.

It's still not clear to me one way or the other whether the summer protests outdoors were big spreading events (probably difficult to conclusively establish, though). To be fair, IMHO the outdoor activities at Sturgis likely weren't, either (although crowding up into dive bars certainly was).

I don't really get the question, this was a casual observation.  
Maybe I misinterpreted your intent. I thought you were mocking them for that line of thought. And while that's certainly an easy path in most cases, I'm just saying that they aren't necessarily wrong in this instance. The messaging has been very inconsistent based on-- at my best guess-- media narratives.

For example:

Masked outdoor wedding? Bad.
Masked outdoor church service? Bad.

Masked rioting and looting in the streets? OK because they're masked and it's a cause!
Masked celebrations outside the White House? OK because Biden won!

When people ask people to "follow the science" it should be expected that they acknowledge that the virus doesn't care about the nature of the event.

To pander to one group while shaming another is a recipe for cynicism. Chad and Karen are cynical for a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know ... I think the stance of a lot of the media was something like "Well, for them ... the George Floyd issue, in the moment, dwarfs their immediate concerns about COVID. Are we going to sit here in this studio and spend every night criticizing them for spreading COVID? Or are we going to cover their protests in their intended context -- as protests against social injustice?"

Making the protests - in that moment - about COVID spread probably seemed super tone deaf. A protestor could have perhaps credibly said "Some things are bigger than COVID" :shrug:  It's not like the protestors were going to stop in their tracks and go home because of anything said about them in the media regarding COVID spread. "The media" wasn't controlling the protestors -- sometimes, I get the feeling that some think "the media" could have "said something" and completely nipped the protests in the bud. That's not the way it works.

It's still not clear to me one way or the other whether the summer protests outdoors were big spreading events (probably difficult to conclusively establish, though). To be fair, IMHO the outdoor activities at Sturgis likely weren't, either (although crowding up into dive bars certainly was).
This feels like a dangerous tightrope to walk.

"Some things are bigger than COVID" is a sentiment that is very much in the eyes of the beholder.

Some might say the George Floyd protests were bigger than Covid.

Some might say that worshiping freely is bigger than Covid.

Some might say that marrying the love of their lives safely in the presence of close family and friends is bigger than Covid.

The virus doesn't decipher these moments as virtuous or not. But the way the media treated them (and continues to treat them) is much different. Hence the cynicism many people feel.

Mutations occur in all viruses to different degrees. Most are point mutations in the genetic code, occur randomly and have little clinical significance. Only when the mutation improves viral fitness (ability to replicate) and virulence is it concerning. 

Influenza, unlike many other viruses, easily combines strains from multiple species, swapping entire genes for structural proteins in the process. Such “antigenic shift” is unusual in other viruses, including coronavirus. This mechanism largely accounts for flu’s propensity to evade our immune system and cause pandemics.

It appears SARS-CoV-2 mutates more slowly than flu, and is far less likely to recombine big swaths of its RNA between species. I’m not saying it can’t happen, but an immunologically distinct flavor of covid evolving quickly is far less likely than flu.
So you know, I’m glad you’re here. 

"Some things are bigger than COVID" is a sentiment that is very much in the eyes of the beholder.

Some might say the George Floyd protests were bigger than Covid.

Some might say that worshiping freely is bigger than Covid.

Some might say that marrying the love of their lives safely in the presence of close family and friends is bigger than Covid.

The virus doesn't decipher these moments as virtuous or not. But the way the media treated them (and continues to treat them) is much different. Hence the cynicism many people feel.
Well said.  Personally, I think in a lot of ways our response has been pretty ham-handed, and I think there are some things that are "bigger than Covid."  We should be focusing on stopping things that are truly high risk, rather than things that are just in the noise but cause a lot of pain and animosity.  I have a relative who was very sick and spent most of the year in and out of the hospital, who has since passed.  I think the hospital procedures that didn't permit his lifelong companion to be with him for most of his last months on earth are monstrous and unbecoming of a civilized society.

In a vacuum, I can get behind the idea that events that could potentially be a catalyst for positive social change are worth the risk.  But, when you spend weeks telling people that are asking for small concessions for things that are extremely important to them that they'll be responsible for killing grandma, the hypocrisy is too much.

What, exactly, was the media supposed to do about throngs of protestors? You can't go after them for flouting COVID safety without totally sounding like you're heaping dung on their social-justice message.

What I meant by "Some things are bigger than COVID" was not that that statement was the media's message -- I meant that that was what was in the minds of the protestors. The protests were going to happen with or without sanction from local politicians, from the media, etc.

What, exactly, was the media supposed to do about throngs of protestors? You can't go after them for flouting COVID safety without totally sounding like you're heaping dung on their social-justice message.

What I meant by "Some things are bigger than COVID" was not that that statement was the media's message -- I meant that that was what was in the minds of the protestors. The protests were going to happen with or without sanction from local politicians, from the media, etc.

It's the way they shaped the narrative that is the issue, Doug.

I'm not saying the media is going to bring people back out of the streets by warning that it's dangerous.

But you have people at home who have been making personal sacrifices-- whether it be avoiding their parents or grandparents for months, sitting at home from a furloughed job or just being a good citizen-- and the overwhelming narrative comes across as "Well, this is different. This is worth it. Plus, they're being super safe. Look at all the masks!"

And, I'm sorry, but this is either an extreme health crisis or it's not. Not wanting to hurt the feelings of certain segments of the population isn't a valid excuse for changing the narrative.

You want to sit at the hospital with your dying spouse to comfort them in their final moments? You're putting everyone at risk. No dice.

You want to use the death of a dude in Minnesota as a reason to set the courthouse ablaze with thousands of marchers while eight states away in the middle of a pandemic? We don't want to hurt your feelings. Carry on.

And local politicians didn't act on this because they had backed themselves into a corner. In many places, they pandered and vilified the police to the point of no return. To call on them to restore order during a pandemic would be deemed unconscionable after what some of these leaders said.

You want to use the death of a dude in Minnesota as a reason to set the courthouse ablaze with thousands of marchers while eight states away in the middle of a pandemic? We don't want to hurt your feelings. Carry on.
I never got anything like the point in red from the media. To me, it was more like: "What can we say?" The narrative, such as it was, was simply that the protests were taking place -- that they were taking place without sanction was implicit in the act of protesting. Protestors weren't seeking permission from anyone.

Facts > Feelings. 

• Smile
Reactions: RnR
Facts > Feelings. 
Nothing to do with facts or feelings. The point is: the protestors wouldn't have given a rip, and the media would've come off as tone deaf. No upside at all for the media to make COVID non-compliance the centerpiece of their protest coverage.

Nothing to do with facts or feelings. The point is: the protestors wouldn't have given a rip, and the media would've come off as tone deaf. No upside at all for the media to make COVID non-compliance the centerpiece of their protest coverage.
This entire subject has everything to do with feelings. Otherwise all of the facts would be in the news cycle; not just those that play well to their audience.

A journalist's responsibility is to educate the public about events and issues and how they affect our lives. Social justice was an important component of these events. And so was public health. This is not complicated- report both and let the citizenry make informed decisions for themselves. 

• Smile
Reactions: RnR
With all due respect, they’re hardly saying protests are “safe and a-ok”. 

They suggest all the usual NPIs be utilized by protestors, and provide additional guidance specific to policing the events.

While I’m not a fan of any large group congregating during a pandemic, the signees are arguing the risk of suppressing BLM protests in the name of covid may cause more long term harm to minority communities.

They suggest all the usual NPIs be utilized by protestors, and provide additional guidance specific to policing the events.

While I’m not a fan of any large group congregating during a pandemic, the signees are arguing the risk of suppressing BLM protests in the name of covid may cause more long term harm to minority communities.
This response was 100% predictable. The letter is clear in its intent. 

We created the letter in response to emerging narratives that seemed to malign demonstrations as risky for the public health because of Covid-19,"

Take the L for once.

I'm one of those people.

The whole mask thing early on was to prevent hoarding and a run on them because the hospitals and PPE stockpiles were insufficient and healthcare workers needed to survive the first wave.  I think everyone always knew masks were key, but the USA couldn't afford panic-buying of masks by the public like we had on toilet paper . . . . 

The whole mask thing early on was to prevent hoarding and a run on them because the hospitals and PPE stockpiles were insufficient and healthcare workers needed to survive the first wave.  I think everyone always knew masks were key, but the USA couldn't afford panic-buying of masks by the public like we had on toilet paper . . . . 
This is not true -- I'm talking about cloth face coverings here, not N95s.  Cloth masks were never in short supply.

I'd argue there is a subset of the American population that vehemently disagrees. No thanks to our message out of the gate which they routinely point to as evidence for their stance. Just had a discussion with one of them on FB last night, we're what? 9 months in and still talking about this.

I'd argue there is a subset of the American population that vehemently disagrees. No thanks to our message out of the gate which they routinely point to as evidence for their stance. Just had a discussion with one of them on FB last night, we're what? 9 months in and still talking about this.
I think the early-stance of CDC and Trump's mask position/use/rhetoric are the main reasons for this.  Had we said they were necessary from the beginning and Trump been behind it, then we would have been in good shape.  Hell, if Trump would have OKd the proposal for the post-office to send five cloth masks to every household, he would have been a hero -- leveraging a private-public partnership to save lives would have magnified everything he said he was good at, and he wins reelection.  But I guess that is for another thread.

I've been working Covid cases as an employer for a long time now. Where I get into murky territory is an employee that is not symptomatic or testing positive, has come into contact with an individual that was not positive or symptomatic when they were exposed to each other and the other individual later tested positive.

I suppose the most careful test would be going back 14 days as that is typically how long we quarantine an individual who we consider exposed. But I know our school system has cleared people to continue working with cases like above in the 8 or 9 day range. We also take into account the relative risk level of the exposure. Masks worn? Enclosed area? Length of contact etc. For this situation consider the risk level as a "significant exposure" in that some risk factors were present.      

We have so far leaned in the direction of safety but I'm getting in spots where its tough calls. Kind of an ethical dilemma as I have several areas where quarantines and isolations are impairing our ability to function. Safety verses operations. Just wondered what kind of decisions people are seeing in this type of situation.      

This maybe could be true, but it further illustrates how ill equipped our public health officials are at messaging if it is.

The retail market was like 25% of total supply, and was not the same product. Shelves were long empty and committments made to not resupply when public health was still saying they dont work. 

The tiny % of masks still available somehow wasn't worth the damage from the "noble lie". 

I think the early-stance of CDC and Trump's mask position/use/rhetoric are the main reasons for this.  Had we said they were necessary from the beginning and Trump been behind it, then we would have been in good shape.  Hell, if Trump would have OKd the proposal for the post-office to send five cloth masks to every household, he would have been a hero -- leveraging a private-public partnership to save lives would have magnified everything he said he was good at, and he wins reelection.  But I guess that is for another thread.
That is exactly what I was trying to allude to without triggering the "TAKE IT TO THE POLITICS FORUM" crowd  :thumbup:

I had a big argument with my wife about this issue.  I still think more could have been done on the messaging about "how to protest safely".

I've been working Covid cases as an employer for a long time now. Where I get into murky territory is an employee that is not symptomatic or testing positive, has come into contact with an individual that was not positive or symptomatic when they were exposed to each other and the other individual later tested positive.

I suppose the most careful test would be going back 14 days as that is typically how long we quarantine an individual who we consider exposed. But I know our school system has cleared people to continue working with cases like above in the 8 or 9 day range. We also take into account the relative risk level of the exposure. Masks worn? Enclosed area? Length of contact etc. For this situation consider the risk level as a "significant exposure" in that some risk factors were present.      

We have so far leaned in the direction of safety but I'm getting in spots where its tough calls. Kind of an ethical dilemma as I have several areas where quarantines and isolations are impairing our ability to function. Safety verses operations. Just wondered what kind of decisions people are seeing in this type of situation.      
I feel for you. That is tough. Can you require people in this questionable group to wear an N95 at work?  Not foolproof of course, but maybe makes you feel more comfortable?

You can still find some from various b to b vendors. 

This is not true -- I'm talking about cloth face coverings here, not N95s.  Cloth masks were never in short supply.
IK, you make some good points, I won't argue that our public health authorities were incorrect on the mask wearing and that likely contributed to some of the reluctance to adhere to mask wearing by sections of the public now.  But hindsight is 2020 here, and there was really sparse data on the subject, particularly with a novel virus back in March and April.  To ask a scientist to give a definitive answer with sparse or non-existent statistical data is really problematic.

I do wish that the CDC and WHO would have erred on the side of caution and said, "well, we don't have proof that mask wearing will help stop the spread of this novel virus, but it is unlikely to hurt outcomes, so please go ahead and wear a mask (cloth, surgical, whatever) while in public."  I don't know if there was a push for that inside CDC that got quashed, or if they (again) had too much hubris to think that they already had all the answers (see COVID testing failures).

IK, you make some good points, I won't argue that our public health authorities were incorrect on the mask wearing and that likely contributed to some of the reluctance to adhere to mask wearing by sections of the public now.  But hindsight is 2020 here, and there was really sparse data on the subject, particularly with a novel virus back in March and April.  To ask a scientist to give a definitive answer with sparse or non-existent statistical data is really problematic.

I do wish that the CDC and WHO would have erred on the side of caution and said, "well, we don't have proof that mask wearing will help stop the spread of this novel virus, but it is unlikely to hurt outcomes, so please go ahead and wear a mask (cloth, surgical, whatever) while in public."  I don't know if there was a push for that inside CDC that got quashed, or if they (again) had too much hubris to think that they already had all the answers (see COVID testing failures).
China knew early that masks were essential.  I recall a chinsese-american reporter who was imbedded over there stating as much on twitter.  That everything revolved around mask-wearing and she didn't understand why the US was not advocating as much.

aerosols are probably the most significant transmission route. It spreads largely in indoor, crowded and unventilated settings, and even at a two-metre distance, you can still be infected indoors, as the virus can spread through the air and circulate for hours. Ventilating indoor spaces, wearing face coverings, distancing and getting outside for socialising and exercise are all essential to prevent transmission.

-Devi Sridhar chair of global public health UofE.

Link to the infamous 'Danish Mask Study' that anti-maskers such as A. Berenson have suggested has been suppressed for months.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection.

I feel for you. That is tough. Can you require people in this questionable group to wear an N95 at work?  Not foolproof of course, but maybe makes you feel more comfortable?

You can still find some from various b to b vendors. 
We have had a couple times where a parent has bowed up over making their kid wear a mask. In both they had autism issues which are exempt under our county mask ordinance. We have provided N-95's to instructors in both those instances but neither were situations where covid was a known factor.   

With our employees and a known Covid factor present, from a liability, comp standpoint maybe that action kind of tacitly admits there is some elevated level of risk you knew about and did not fully mitigate. If I felt the need to take this step I would most likely quarantine. But the decision gets tougher as your bench gets thinner or non existent.  

We have an ad hoq committee of three that make calls in these cases. I am HR/administrative director, and also include our facility director and the Superintendent (CEO).  

Legal waters are soupy as not many cases have run through the system. We have been very careful and all of our positives or exposures have resulted from outside the organization. No cases we know of that would suggest employee to employee, customer to employee etc. So there have been know work comp cases as of yet. We have paid hundreds of quarantine hours through the FFCRA. We are government so we do not have an option to recover those costs. 

We are getting some small level of funding through the CARES funding for state and local governments to fund employee costs for direct mitigation activities. Temp takers, extra cleaning as well as reimbursement for supplies like masks, disinfectants, acrylic barriers etc.    

aerosols are probably the most significant transmission route. It spreads largely in indoor, crowded and unventilated settings, and even at a two-metre distance, you can still be infected indoors, as the virus can spread through the air and circulate for hours. Ventilating indoor spaces, wearing face coverings, distancing and getting outside for socialising and exercise are all essential to prevent transmission.

-Devi Sridhar chair of global public health UofE.
While everyone obsessed about the masks, I don't understand why the ventilation aspect has virtually been ignored, especially with more and more focus on aerosol spread.  If you can make inside more like outside, I suspect it would go a long way in breaking the transmission chain.

So I had to have my carpets cleaned over the weekend:  my kid threw an entire half-gallon of milk on the carpet.  The guy wore an N-95 mask when he got here and when we walked around the house etc.  Then I go to the basement and let him work.  I hear him coughing like three different times, and each time I go upstairs to see him/pay him I have to tell him to put his mask on.  So he wasn't wearing it the whole time he cleaned and I ended up lysol-ing for over an hour.

And then today I had a landscape architect come over because we are re-designing our back year.  We all wore masks and were outside.  It was windy, so we went into the garage with the garage door open.  No coughing or anything, but then he proceeds to tell us that the reason he cancelled two weeks ago was because his brother tested positive and he was around him.  He said he tested negative and it's been two weeks -- but still -- I am freaked out by all of this.

While everyone obsessed about the masks, I don't understand why the ventilation aspect has virtually been ignored, especially with more and more focus on aerosol spread.  If you can make inside more like outside, I suspect it would go a long way in breaking the transmission chain.
Right there with you. 

Link to the infamous 'Danish Mask Study' that anti-maskers such as A. Berenson have suggested has been suppressed for months.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection.
I dont understand why that study was done. They studied the effectiveness of masks in a country with low prevalence during a time that was strictly locked down and they didnt control for time outdoors vs indoors and excluded people that wore them at work and had less than 50% compliance?  

I have to have read something wrong there. Because i could have saved them the trouble and said, yeah probably will prevent 2-3 cases. 

Just got email from corporate..................WFH until "AT LEAST" June 2021.  😵

Son who plays baseball in HS and looking to play in college just had ACL surgery, so the "flexibility" is nice.  And like I told him............."you may not miss a single game" if you can get back by June.

The Z Machine said:
I had a big argument with my wife about this issue.  I still think more could have been done on the messaging about "how to protest safely".
Meh, I don’t understand why people are so petty. This isn’t a competition to see who can best skirt the guidelines. The existence of a few hypocrites and policy inconsistencies doesn’t invalidate the overall utility of NPIs in managing the pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread