What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (19 Viewers)

[Layman'sUnderstanding]

Logically ... if the spike protein changes so much that it can readily evade current COVID-19 vaccines, wouldn't the virus no longer really be SARS-CoV-2? Granted that the new spike protein could lead the virus to being something on par with or worse than SARS-CoV-2 ... but the greater likelihood is that a new spike protein would yield a virus that isn't particularly dangerous for humans at all. Something more like the old common-cold-causing coronaviruses.

[/Layman'sUnderstanding]

Basically three countries in the world are ahead of the US in vaccinations per 100,000 of population.  Israel, England and Bahrain.  The wailing about incompetence comes from two issues, the overoptimistic 20 million by end of 2020 pronouncement and politics.  
No the ‘wailing about incompetence’ is because what I am seeing. Phase 1A for healthcare workers is suffering from poor organization and many are having trouble scheduling an appointment not because the appointments are full but due to not knowing how to schedule an appointment or receiving the proper authorization. Appointment slots are going unused.

We will be soon entering Phase 1B for those over 75 and essential workers and there seems to be no plan for that either which is going to lead to even worse results than Phase 1A.

It’s not political to say that this has been a failure because it goes across both parties. Goals like the 20M are always going to be highly optimistic and I don’t care about not meeting that. I care that we have the vaccine available, people to give the vaccine and lines of people wanting to receive vaccine yet appointment slots going unused and no planning to make the next phases any better.

Just seems way, way too early to even begin thinking about conclusions. It's all "... there are questions ...", "... there are worries ..." These articles smell slanted for sensationalism. Not enough is known yet to skip straight to the "sowing fear" part of the program.
While I agree, I also think this thread is the place for discussion of developing issues/components of this outbreak. If they're correct on mutations to the protein spike that the vaccine binds to, it certainly would seem like it COULD be an issue.

I don't think there's any question as to its ability to impact us as it is currently spreading rampantly. 

Headlines a bit sensationalistic? Maybe.

Something to keep an eye on? Absolutely.

JMHO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Another tidbit that I’m seeing anecdotally in my area is a lot of nurses not wanting the Pfizer vaccine and instead waiting for the Moderna vaccine. We get about 10 calls a day from nurses trying to find out when we will be starting our vaccinations. The few that have explained their concern are worried about the storage. I don’t know if that’s a general concern or if it’s a result of something they are seeing with the handling of the vaccine at their hospital (where I got my vaccine).

While I agree, I also think this thread is the place for discussion of developing issues/components of this outbreak. If they're correct on mutations to the protein spike that the vaccine binds to, it certainly would seem like it COULD be an issue.

I don't think there's any question as to its ability to impact us as it is currently spreading rampantly. 

Headlines a bit sensationalistic? Maybe.

Something to keep an eye on? Absolutely.

JMHO. 
Discussing it here is fine of course but these kind of sensational articles are going to prevent people from getting the vaccine and lead to more misinformation and deaths. Just a never-ending circle of suck. God I hate the internet. 

Doug B said:
[Layman'sUnderstanding]

Logically ... if the spike protein changes so much that it can readily evade current COVID-19 vaccines, wouldn't the virus no longer really be SARS-CoV-2? Granted that the new spike protein could lead the virus to being something on par with or worse than SARS-CoV-2 ... but the greater likelihood is that a new spike protein would yield a virus that isn't particularly dangerous for humans at all. Something more like the old common-cold-causing coronaviruses.

[/Layman'sUnderstanding]
The collective pool of things I have read thus far, including Icon's links above and several others posted earlier in the thread, seem to point to thinking the vaccine should still be effective against the new "UK" strain. But until we can know that more definitively, the more concerning part for now is that the new variant is almost certainly (drawing from the data collected thus far) 50-75% more transmissable, so it's sprinting whereas the old variant was wreaking all this havoc at just a hard jog. 

Remember one of the benefits of a MRNA vax was that in a situation where it mutated we could simply flip on the new mutation on the fly, in theory without needing full approval/trials.  

That was supposed to be how it works, let's see how this goes in practice.

is anyone aware of any updated findings in the last few months on:

• the effectiveness of convalescent plasma therapy?
  • the observations from early spring reports that blood type (Type O, in particular) might affect infection severity?

Capella said:
Discussing it here is fine of course but these kind of sensational articles are going to prevent people from getting the vaccine and lead to more misinformation and deaths. Just a never-ending circle of suck. God I hate the internet. 
I do agree. I expect sensationalism stuff from fringe sources like World News Daily or OANN, but these were CNBC and NY Post so I gave them a little more credibility. 

I'm still ready to get the vaccine as soon as they'll give it to me. Hopefully most others are as well. My folks have already signed up in FL (70+ yo). 

I do agree. I expect sensationalism stuff from fringe sources like World News Daily or OANN, but these were CNBC and NY Post so I gave them a little more credibility. 

I'm still ready to get the vaccine as soon as they'll give it to me. Hopefully most others are as well. My folks have already signed up in FL (70+ yo). 
How?? I just spent 2 hours on the phone for the lady to pick up and tell me their website is down. :lmao:   :hot:  I hate this state so much. 

Remember one of the benefits of a MRNA vax was that in a situation where it mutated we could simply flip on the new mutation on the fly, in theory without needing full approval/trials.  

That was supposed to be how it works, let's see how this goes in practice.
That would be rad. Still have time to manufacture/distribute... but if we can safely eliminate the federal red tape from the equation... that would cut the delivery time in half if not thirds. 

How?? I just spent 2 hours on the phone for the lady to pick up and tell me their website is down. :lmao:   :hot:  I hate this state so much. 
I dunno, they got in line last week or something. I didn't get specifics, but was pleasantly surprised they were getting it given most of their friend group are guys who were in the Trump Boat rallies. Their neighbors are good folks but haven't exactly been in lockstep with science on this whole thing. :lol:   

Doug B said:
Just seems way, way too early to even begin thinking about conclusions. It's all "... there are questions ...", "... there are worries ..." These articles smell slanted for sensationalism. Not enough is known yet to skip straight to the "sowing fear" part of the program.
There is no news anymore, only clickbait.

We should know pretty quickly if these new mutations are going to get past our vaccines or natural immunity.  I would be very concerned if we saw large scale reports of people in South Africa or UK who had already had COVID being infected with the new strains. 

There is no news anymore, only clickbait.

We should know pretty quickly if these new mutations are going to get past our vaccines or natural immunity.  I would be very concerned if we saw large scale reports of people in South Africa or UK who had already had COVID being infected with the new strains. 
Yep.

I catch #### for sharing mostly scientific studies in text/email strings among friends because its not in 30 second soundbyte form. I even try to TLDR it down to a couple sentences to go with the link. 

The problem is the majority of soundbyte stuff people prefer is slanted/sensationalized. :(   Can't win. 

That would be rad. Still have time to manufacture/distribute... but if we can safely eliminate the federal red tape from the equation... that would cut the delivery time in half if not thirds. 

I mean the whole concept was that we would someday need coverage for something quite bad that had 3-4 mutations that needed protection from.  At exactly the same time.  

cv has been relatively easy in that aspect.  

Coworker story time:

Coworker daughter comes home for Christmas after, you guessed it, a wedding.

Coworker while in the air to Florida to visit aged 90s parents gets call that daughter was +

He gets a hotel, tests comes back + the next morning.  Rents a car and drives it back one way without stopping.  

Weddings.  Sheesh.

[icon] said:
New Data on South African strain are "very worrying": 
Shows how much I know...but you bolded to relevant parts.

Considering there was speculation partial immunity would be conveyed by non-covid coronaviruses and other respiratory pathogens, it seems unlikely the stars would align and the spike protein would be mutated to become simultaneously more contagious and immunologically distinct.

Regardless, they should be able figure it out in the lab pretty quickly.

is anyone aware of any updated findings in the last few months on:

• the effectiveness of convalescent plasma therapy?
  • the observations from early spring reports that blood type (Type O, in particular) might affect infection severity?
Don’t have it handy, but convalescent plasma data looks worse over time. It’s still being used though.

The blood type connection has resurfaced from time to time. There are plenty of other infections with altered virulence based on blood group antigens, so it seems plausible.

Don’t have it handy, but convalescent plasma data looks worse over time. It’s still being used though.

The blood type connection has resurfaced from time to time. There are plenty of other infections with altered virulence based on blood group antigens, so it seems plausible.
Re: plasma

See, that's what I thought I had seen also, a couple months back I think it was and had not seen anything since then. But with the surge recently, have seen more calls locally for plasma donations, so that's what prompted me to ask if there were any new developments. 

Don’t know much about this site, but a google search yielded this summary of vaccines and new covid variants:

But it’s still not clear that the new variant is much more easily transmitted, as some scientists have warned. Moreover, several companies with authorized vaccines or therapeutic drugs for covid-19—Moderna, Pfizer/BioNTech, Regeneron, and Eli Lilly—said they were either doing tests or already had data showing that their treatments should work against the new form of the coronavirus.

What’s more, the spike protein is a pretty large structure, consisting of around 1,270 amino acids. This offers the body’s immune system a broad target; it generates many different antibodies to different parts of the spike. The vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech both trigger this “polyspecific” immune response. A single mutation to the spike, or even a few, isn’t expected to make them significantly less effective. The UK variant, for instance, includes nine mutations to the spike gene, yet is still 99% identical to the version the vaccines can neutralize.

“We know this virus is not stable. No virus is stable. This virus evolves,” said Uğur Şahin, founder and CEO of BioNTech, at a press conference on December 22 in Germany. “But there are many more sites that are not mutated.” Şahin said that over the last month, every time a new mutation has arisen, the company’s laboratory tests have shown that the vaccine should still be effective. BioNTech has checked about 20 so far and plans to run the same tests with the UK variant. That experiment will take two weeks, but Şahin says that “scientifically it’s highly likely” the vaccine still works.

Similarly, Moderna, which began distributing its vaccine in the US this week, said it believed “vaccine-induced immunity would be protective against the variants recently described in the UK.” Eli Lilly, which manufactures an antibody drug for covid-19, said it has already tested it against the main mutation seen in the UK variant, and it still works.

Nonetheless, some researchers say mutations will eventually make current vaccines and treatments less effective. “It indicates to me that we are going to need to have another version of the vaccine. I am convinced of that,” says Farzan. “We are going to be following these variants like we do the flu.”

If updated vaccines are needed, that could strongly favor the technology behind the vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech, both of which are already authorized in the US. They use genetic data from the coronavirus, in the form of messenger RNA (mRNA), to prime the body’s immune system. The vaccine is essentially a container with the RNA in it, so when any new variant of the virus crops up, matching RNA can simply be substituted.

“Technically it is possible to make a new vaccine mimicking the new strain in a few weeks,” Şahin said at the press conference

I'm a little surprised to learn that convalescent plasma is kind of thought to not work. I had thought that was one of the treatments early on that was conclusively known to be effective -- the hang-up was that convalescent plasma was difficult to reliably obtain and thus was of limited use.

Don’t know much about this site, but a google search yielded this summary of the new covid variant:
That particular article is a good read. I am wondering if it is very slightly dated -- it's from December 23rd, and treats the UK variant and the South Africa variant as one in the same strain. More recent readings (e.g. the ones linked in this thread this morning) treat the two variants as completely different animals. I assume information about both is still being collected and evaluated.

That particular article is a good read. I am wondering if it is very slightly dated -- it's from December 23rd, and treats the UK variant and the South Africa variant as one in the same strain. More recent readings (e.g. the ones linked in this thread this morning) treat the two variants as completely different animals. I assume information about both is still being collected and evaluated.
Yeah, this moves fast, but many of the concepts discussed in the article still apply.

Shows how much I know...but you bolded to relevant parts.

Considering there was speculation partial immunity would be conveyed by non-covid coronaviruses and other respiratory pathogens, it seems unlikely the stars would align and the spike protein would be mutated to become simultaneously more contagious and immunologically distinct.

Regardless, they should be able figure it out in the lab pretty quickly.
To be clear when I asked last night I had no idea this article exists. A buddy texted me this am out of coincidence. 😂

COVID-19 is a little bit too much for me to get a few minutes before the game but it’s not like that. The only problem that we have had to the draft of this is not a good idea to do this. 

To be clear when I asked last night I had no idea this article exists. A buddy texted me this am out of coincidence. 😂
I’m glad you could educate me. We’re all learning on the fly, so there’s no shame in being wrong periodically. Hopefully, the guys who think the S African strain is resistant to the vaccine can make mistakes too.

We're only 7 beds shy of surpassing our highest hospitalization numbers for COVID since this all began. Given that the NYE numbers aren't even hitting yet, this is going to likely get very ugly in the coming weeks.

Do we have any real data yet on what impact vaccination has on the transmission of the virus? 

In other words, if someone gets vaccinated, but another person in the household does not due to some health reason, can the vaccinated person return to normal life, or is there a high risk of infecting the person at home (at least until 70%+ of the population has been vaccinated)?

Do we have any real data yet on what impact vaccination has on the transmission of the virus? 

In other words, if someone gets vaccinated, but another person in the household does not due to some health reason, can the vaccinated person return to normal life, or is there a high risk of infecting the person at home (at least until 70%+ of the population has been vaccinated)?
My understanding is that this is not known because the vaccine trials did not test volunteers regularly for COVID, they only tracked when participants self-reported symptomatic cases.  So, while it is very clear from the results that the vaccines reduce symptomatic cases dramatically, it is unproven whether that reduction means complete immunity. There may be some undetected asymptomatic cases, which could potentially mean they could give the disease to others.  I don't personally believe the risk is very high, but there isn't good data yet.

Given that none of the vaccines are perfect, nobody should be returning to normal life until we reach at least 70-80% of the population vaccinated.  I’m not an expert, but that’s what every expert has been saying — we can’t go “back to normal” for a long time still. 

I think if you were in a room with 100% vaccinated people and someone had contracted it even with the vax, the odds that you would A) Transmit it and B) cause a serious case are next to zero. That's the "back to normal".

Up to that point, you have to be under the understanding that even with the vax you have the chance of passing this thing asymptomatically to someone that has not.  Whether viral loads matter in this context are TBD.  

There are certainly cases of the regular flu that ended up in death in those that got the shot.  

Personally, if myself and wife have it we will still follow all the mask rules and things like that, but for sure will start eating inside and will begin planning flights and trips again.  At that point it's more or less "over" for me on a day to day basis.

I think if you were in a room with 100% vaccinated people and someone had contracted it even with the vax, the odds that you would A) Transmit it and B) cause a serious case are next to zero. That's the "back to normal".

Up to that point, you have to be under the understanding that even with the vax you have the chance of passing this thing asymptomatically to someone that has not.  Whether viral loads matter in this context are TBD.  

There are certainly cases of the regular flu that ended up in death in those that got the shot.  

Personally, if myself and wife have it we will still follow all the mask rules and things like that, but for sure will start eating inside and will begin planning flights and trips again.  At that point it's more or less "over" for me on a day to day basis.
Your first preposition isn't ever going to be reality.  It isn't the case even now with polio etc. 

The flu shot has such a range in effectiveness yearly -- hopefully that isn't what this ends up being, but I have a bad feeling.  

The data we need is whether the vaccines make someone actually immune and/or whether they are able to keep any viral load so minimal that transmission is highly unlikely.  I know that at the emergency use application stages, this data was not available (though Moderna made some claims that transmission was prevented/reduced) but I was wondering if we had read any updates to that.

I think we need to figure out what the world is going to look like post-vaccination.  With the slow rollout, who knows when we hit 70%+ (if ever).  So what do we do; just wear a mask on public transit but get back to routines?  

Very hard to get any data on transmission until we have a much higher vaccination number. We might be able to get some kind of idea based on the spread in certain settings where vaccinations are high like nursing homes and hospital staff. But in the general population right now it’s the equivalent of a couple people in a Walmart wearing masks and deciding if masks help stop the spread.

In general the concept of vaccines is that you’re training your immune system to identify the virus and being able to stop it before it can replicate and cause disease. If you prevent the viral load from getting to the disease causing level, you’re likely preventing it from getting it a level that you can spread it. At the very least it will decrease the amount of time you are contagious.

But it will take awhile before we have data on transmission. We need to get to the point where we can compare the transmission of a high and low vaccinated area to get a good idea of transmission reduction.

Summer is likely an optimistic scenario for a return to normalcy. That will happen before we hit herd immunity. Unless we start doing amazing work with the vaccines I imagine it will take January-March to get all the high risk patients vaccinated. Then it will take another 3 months to get the general public vaccinated at a high enough rate. That’s assuming that we don’t run into supply issues or a virus mutation the decreases the effectiveness.

Once all the people over 60 that want the vaccine have had a chance to get the vaccine, my mindset will change quite a bit about all of this. 

Once all the people over 60 that want the vaccine have had a chance to get the vaccine, my mindset will change quite a bit about all of this. 
Do you mean that at that point we should just open everything completely?

I haven't followed things nearly as closely as I did early on - does anybody have the current IFR and how that differs from other illnesses?

Your first preposition isn't ever going to be reality.  It isn't the case even now with polio etc. 
Eh... the kicker with polio is that it is effectively eradicated in the Americas.  Sure there are people that never got vaccinated or the vaccine didn't confer the requisite immunity, but the chance of one particular person catching polio inside the USA is effectively zero right now.  That doesn't mean that we as a population should stop vaccinations though, because if enough people go unvaccinated and concentrate in a particular place, polio could rip through that community.  Unless you are in Pakistan or Afghanistan, it would likely be from a vaccine derived polio virus (VDPV).

So that's the thing with vaccines.  Sure, you could go unvaccinated and likely never get many of the diseases as you'd never be exposed to them.  However, if enough people go unvaccinated, it's a disaster.  So do your part to protect all of us.  Get your vaccine boosters and most importantly get your children vaccinated. 

Vaccines cause adults.

Do you mean that at that point we should just open everything completely?

I haven't followed things nearly as closely as I did early on - does anybody have the current IFR and how that differs from other illnesses?
In my state pretty much everything is open completely(if they want). Some counties still have restrictions, but there isn't much I already can't do. It just means at least for me, I will actually start doing it instead of avoiding it.

Eh... the kicker with polio is that it is effectively eradicated in the Americas.  Sure there are people that never got vaccinated or the vaccine didn't confer the requisite immunity, but the chance of one particular person catching polio inside the USA is effectively zero right now.  That doesn't mean that we as a population should stop vaccinations though, because if enough people go unvaccinated and concentrate in a particular place, polio could rip through that community.  Unless you are in Pakistan or Afghanistan, it would likely be from a vaccine derived polio virus (VDPV).

So that's the thing with vaccines.  Sure, you could go unvaccinated and likely never get many of the diseases as you'd never be exposed to them.  However, if enough people go unvaccinated, it's a disaster.  So do your part to protect all of us.  Get your vaccine boosters and most importantly get your children vaccinated. 

Vaccines cause adults.
I know.  I was just saying that it will never be 100% coverage.  

The flu shot has such a range in effectiveness yearly -- hopefully that isn't what this ends up being, but I have a bad feeling.  

The data we need is whether the vaccines make someone actually immune and/or whether they are able to keep any viral load so minimal that transmission is highly unlikely.  I know that at the emergency use application stages, this data was not available (though Moderna made some claims that transmission was prevented/reduced) but I was wondering if we had read any updates to that.

I think we need to figure out what the world is going to look like post-vaccination.  With the slow rollout, who knows when we hit 70%+ (if ever).  So what do we do; just wear a mask on public transit but get back to routines?  
I think everyone is looking at a mask situation at least until the summer.  The hope I would feel is they mix this in with the flu shot for 2022 flu season and just catch the stragglers at that point, and we are done with this thing.  

The point to let the guard down is probably where hospitals are back to baseline levels, maybe.  

Users who are viewing this thread