Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Miami Dolphins - 4 wins in a row...Defense doing it


SwampDawg

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, TripleThreat said:

MoP I'm not all that concerned... it makes absolute sense he didn't know the playbook as well as he could've... Brady was "still trying to figure out how to call plays" midway through the year.  Was Chan partially at fault?  That's likely, he was put in a difficult spot, designing an offense to try and win with Fitz, who knows the offense cold, and then switching mid stream to try to get Tua working...without redesigning the entire offense.  

tr:dr not concerned, still looking for a jump year 1 to 2.   

Tua's receiving group is #10 per PFF.

That's a big jump from 2020. Tua should have more open receivers than he did in 2020 when they got some of the worst separation in the league. He didn't perform well under pressure, hopefully the oline also makes a big jump from 2020. Best case is a combo of Brees accuracy and decision-making and some of the Tarkenton scrambling ability.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 8:23 AM, TripleThreat said:

MoP I'm not all that concerned... it makes absolute sense he didn't know the playbook as well as he could've... Brady was "still trying to figure out how to call plays" midway through the year.  Was Chan partially at fault?  That's likely, he was put in a difficult spot, designing an offense to try and win with Fitz, who knows the offense cold, and then switching mid stream to try to get Tua working...without redesigning the entire offense.  

tr:dr not concerned, still looking for a jump year 1 to 2.   

I hope you are right about this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm tired of Xavien Howard and am aching to see Flores put him in his place....#### him, don't show up and don't play. This team is deeper than some think and they have a boatload of guys coming back after a year or two now in the system, TRADE HIM for at least a 1st rounder and quite frankly I would think he could fetch a lot more, the more picks the better because they seem to miss a lot so far and they are going to need as many as they can gather just so they can bat .500 in the first 2-3 rounds, this team stripped it bare so let's not sugarcoat how important the immediate returns of all their draft picks need to be(Jackson-Tua-Igbo all are questionable)...they sent anything of value on their merry way and lost their first 7 games in 2019 before we started to see something that made most of us take a step back and think we might have finally found a real head coach for this team. 

Hey Howard(yeah I'm talking to you, EXPLETIVE!), you signed an extension in 2019, I'm all for you getting what is fair and the front office should never have paid Jones that money but that said, it's funny how you magically intercepted 10 balls once we went out and signed the highest priced cornerback that superseded your bloated contract and now because you think you are an All Pro, magically Miami has to redo this contract...buddy stay home and rot, no problem, Miami isn't going to the Super Bowl this year anyways so please be another NFL A-Bomb expletive and thrust yourself into the spotlight and make it all about you, I'm sure the Miami Dolphins will cave to your desires...NOT! In fact, i really pray that Flores treats him the same way he treated Kenny Stills and you can look all that up if your memory has failed but Flores is brutal and i expect nothing less with Howard...NOTHING!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I'm tired of Xavien Howard and am aching to see Flores put him in his place....#### him, don't show up and don't play. This team is deeper than some think and they have a boatload of guys coming back after a year or two now in the system, TRADE HIM for at least a 1st rounder and quite frankly I would think he could fetch a lot more, the more picks the better because they seem to miss a lot so far and they are going to need as many as they can gather just so they can bat .500 in the first 2-3 rounds, this team stripped it bare so let's not sugarcoat how important the immediate returns of all their draft picks need to be(Jackson-Tua-Igbo all are questionable)...they sent anything of value on their merry way and lost their first 7 games in 2019 before we started to see something that made most of us take a step back and think we might have finally found a real head coach for this team. 

Hey Howard(yeah I'm talking to you, EXPLETIVE!), you signed an extension in 2019, I'm all for you getting what is fair and the front office should never have paid Jones that money but that said, it's funny how you magically intercepted 10 balls once we went out and signed the highest priced cornerback that superseded your bloated contract and now because you think you are an All Pro, magically Miami has to redo this contract...buddy stay home and rot, no problem, Miami isn't going to the Super Bowl this year anyways so please be another NFL A-Bomb expletive and thrust yourself into the spotlight and make it all about you, I'm sure the Miami Dolphins will cave to your desires...NOT! In fact, i really pray that Flores treats him the same way he treated Kenny Stills and you can look all that up if your memory has failed but Flores is brutal and i expect nothing less with Howard...NOTHING!!!

AMEN!!! I’ve got no problem with players using leverage when appropriate but 1 year after signing a 5 year deal is BS.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Howard has requested a trade...once you do that you are kind of saying it's all about you and not the team. He got $75 Million when i thought the Miami Dolphins might be overpaying or setting the bar for other NFL DBs and Corners, now a couple years later he wants even more money...but there is a little more to this. 

We lost an All Pro in Fitzpatrick or at least he was All World with the Steelers since he has been over there. Howard next? Just feels like we cannot keep one of these Top DBs and every time they want to leave they just have to scream a little and they get what they want. 

I'm already feeling like parts of this team are going to be too big for their britches and Howard is just the first. I have Miami at 9-8 or 8-9, one of the two. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Howard has requested a trade...once you do that you are kind of saying it's all about you and not the team. He got $75 Million when i thought the Miami Dolphins might be overpaying or setting the bar for other NFL DBs and Corners, now a couple years later he wants even more money...but there is a little more to this. 

We lost an All Pro in Fitzpatrick or at least he was All World with the Steelers since he has been over there. Howard next? Just feels like we cannot keep one of these Top DBs and every time they want to leave they just have to scream a little and they get what they want. 

I'm already feeling like parts of this team are going to be too big for their britches and Howard is just the first. I have Miami at 9-8 or 8-9, one of the two. 

Howard's value will never be higher. One ACL injury and it would plummet. Time for Miami to look for a trade partner. If someone offers a first round pick, I pull the trigger. He's not as young as Ramsay or Adams, and has some injury history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Howard has requested a trade...once you do that you are kind of saying it's all about you and not the team. He got $75 Million when i thought the Miami Dolphins might be overpaying or setting the bar for other NFL DBs and Corners, now a couple years later he wants even more money...but there is a little more to this. 

We lost an All Pro in Fitzpatrick or at least he was All World with the Steelers since he has been over there. Howard next? Just feels like we cannot keep one of these Top DBs and every time they want to leave they just have to scream a little and they get what they want. 

I'm already feeling like parts of this team are going to be too big for their britches and Howard is just the first. I have Miami at 9-8 or 8-9, one of the two. 

I had them at 8-9 before the Howard news...which may be fake news...

Edited by SeniorVBDStudent
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

I had them at 8-9 before the Howard news...which may be fake news...

This fan base is not going to want to hear 8-9 after last season. Now I will say if Miami were to trade for Watson(we can't afford him) then the narrative around here would change quickly. I would immediately change Miami to a double digit winner and possibly a little more, I'm all in on Watson if they can somehow make the move. 

And if that means one of these big trades involving Howard to get not 1 but maybe 2 first round picks, then package those with some of what we have to make a "credible" offer to the Texans. That organization is now begging anyone to step up and make a decent offer the way it reads to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Howard has requested a trade...once you do that you are kind of saying it's all about you and not the team. He got $75 Million when i thought the Miami Dolphins might be overpaying or setting the bar for other NFL DBs and Corners, now a couple years later he wants even more money...but there is a little more to this. 

We lost an All Pro in Fitzpatrick or at least he was All World with the Steelers since he has been over there. Howard next? Just feels like we cannot keep one of these Top DBs and every time they want to leave they just have to scream a little and they get what they want. 

I'm already feeling like parts of this team are going to be too big for their britches and Howard is just the first. I have Miami at 9-8 or 8-9, one of the two. 

It seems like Miami has had a lot of good players demanding trades recently and I have to ask why?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

It seems like Miami has had a lot of good players demanding trades recently and I have to ask why?  

We don't have a pushover for a coach anymore? Howard had his best year ever in Flores' system and our defense has had a massive turnaround in a very short period of time. Since starting 0-7 this team has transformed and gone 15-10 since then and finished 10-6 last season. The owner spends money and is into the entertainment side of life so I know its not hell being a Miami Dolphin for any of the players. Flores is entering Year 3 and i won't speak for all the fans but most of us are sold on the way he is resurrecting a franchise that has been the laughing stock since Ross took over the team and that's just being honest. It goes back further all the way to Jimmy Johnson but we'll not go there in this post. 

Most of our players are on 1 year contracts this season except for players we drafted.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Barry Jackson's take on Howard:

>>Two playoff teams have called inquiring about trade for Xavien Howard, per Ian Rapoport. Surprised Steve Ross has not intervened and told Grier/Flores to fix this by making the reasonable contract adjustments Howard & David Canter suggested (or doing something else).

Let's be clear: Allowing this to fester - or trading him to a team only for future draft picks and not a high-level player in return - potentially drops the Dolphins from fringe playoff team (6-to-10th in AFC) to non-playoff team. That's the case for fixing this with Howard.<<

https://mobile.twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1420465613621837824

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a theory on Howard, and if I'm right, it's the smart play by him to try to force a trade.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/xavien-howard-18986/

The Fins can cut him after this year, and be out a couple mill. He'll be 29 years old, if he slips even a little, or gets banged up, he's a potential cut candidate.  Any 29 year old DB making good money needs to keep their head on a swivel, but with Jones there, you could easily see the Fins wanting to spend that money elsewhere.  

Howard obviously wants more money, but I don't believe him that he signed a bad deal. I think his people know if they cut him next year, he might not get another big deal.  If Howard knew he was getting paid the rest of his contract for the next 4 years, I think he'd be totally happy. Now is the time to try and get another team to commit for three years, and lock up some guaranteed cash.  

Edited by massraider
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • SwampDawg changed the title to *** Official 2021 Dolphins Thread - Preseason underway

Watched through Brissett’s first drive. Man our offensive line can’t run block. Brown isn’t going to do anything behind them. Gaskins with his shiftiness is our better play.

Fantasy wise if you played in a team TE league the Phins would be a great play. Tua made some nice plays but the INT was forced into a bad window.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, SwampDawg said:

Watched through Brissett’s first drive. Man our offensive line can’t run block. Brown isn’t going to do anything behind them. Gaskins with his shiftiness is our better play.

Fantasy wise if you played in a team TE league the Phins would be a great play. Tua made some nice plays but the INT was forced into a bad window.

Interesting, I thought Brown looked bad but I thought Gaskin and Ahmed were more apt to find the holes and find the yards as apparent in the stat sheet, not thinking big days ahead for Brown and his style...Jordan Howard 2.0?

I am having a hard time with this very bright white screen guys and I posted some thoughts in the Waddle thread, I posted the OL in there not thinking but basically Austin Jackson stunk! Flagged, run block and pass block were questionable, h wasn't good. 

Tua was terrible IMHO, his passes are total puff/air, guy has no ability to throw a bullet that I've seen. I'm not gonna blow hot air in peoples asses about this guy, I really don't see it right now, it's disturbing and most media reports have not been good. I haven't heard form a major Miami writer that he was burning up camp. 

The ones I hear good things about are Phillips and Waddle of course but I gotta see Waddle for a good while before I am going to get excited. 

Igbo-DB from late 1st round last year, thought he looked much improved and I'll leave it like that. Eric Rowe popped his head up a couple times, Holland looked great at Safety, these 2 combined with Howard, Jones, Igbo and the rest of the Secondary looks very promising. It's one of the Bucs best features right now is their young and talented Secondary, Miami is sporting a pretty solid bunch themselves right now. You add in playmakers in their front 7 or ability to apply pressure and their Defense is looking good. 

And I like Warren but his words... @TripleThreat

"For Tua to reach his apex as quickly as he can during this rookie deal, he must have optimal playcalling. But he also must improve in many areas. One of them is deeper passing. This is a team effort and a Tua effort. The offensive line needs to be better. Playcalling needs to be better. His teammates need to get better separation. And Tua needs to improve.

Am I the only one who can see there are so many moving pieces here that need to improve that it will always be a never ending parade of excuses why this kid can never reach his Apex?...I didn't know he broke the actual bone inside the socket or wherever, that went beyond him just having a dislocated hip...how many NFL QBs dislocated a hip and broke the whole socket out and then went on to an NFL career...i'm sorry Miami but just like you DIDN'T get Peyton Manning like JJ says you could, then we bombed out Luck's year and decided to start winning a few meaningless games instead of tanking, we did it again with Tua where we had an 0-7 head start and then went on a a 5-4 tear and missed out on Joe Burrow and missed by taking Tua over Justin Herbert who was 6-6 and all world, proved it his rookie season while Tua looks so feeble in comparison and and is really one good hit from being on the injured list which quite frankly is where i see him going with a poor OL in front of him. 

Parker Waddle and Fuller will be trying to stay on Jacoby's good side to keep their stats but that is what Miami has to look forward to in 2021.  

Edited by Ministry of Pain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've read where the INT was called a horrible decision.  It's pre-season.  The other team got the ball back on the 10 yard line.  I'd rather have my second year qb trying to make this pass in pre-season week 1 than "being safe with the ball".  I thought Tua looked great, and the run game looked weak, and Tua moved up my board a few spots accordingly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

IMO Tua has looked good these last two weeks and I'm really looking forward to seeing the offense unwrapped.   

Cheeky move putting Lynn Bowden on IR so he can avoid getting sniped on waivers.  Unsurprising that Foster/Ford got caught in the numbers game.   

It'll be interesting to see who makes the 53.  How many TEs WRs do they end up keeping.  Hollins make it?  Grant stick or get traded?  It'll be an interesting week. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brissett was 8 for 8 and granted it was against inferior defenders but still he looked every bit as fluid and able to move the team down field. 

Tua dinked and dunked his was to a 14-3 lead, maybe Miami can win games like that. 

-The Miami 1st unit on Defense has been pretty lights out. Dalton nothing, Fields his first 3 drives they didn't give him an inch and against Atlanta they held them to a FG in the 1st half. Miami could have one pf the better defenses and win games in ways we haven't seen possibly ever around here or you would have to go way way back, past Thomas and Taylor and Madison/Surtain, Past the Cross-Cox-Vincent era, you might have to start going back into the early mid 70s pretty soon if they can get it all together. Still think a playmaker or top rush guy in the front 7 from being over the top, this would be in addition to Phillips. I see teams making moves, be interesting to see who Miami might bring in late before the season starts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Brissett was 8 for 8 and granted it was against inferior defenders but still he looked every bit as fluid and able to move the team down field. 

Tua dinked and dunked his was to a 14-3 lead, maybe Miami can win games like that. 

-The Miami 1st unit on Defense has been pretty lights out. Dalton nothing, Fields his first 3 drives they didn't give him an inch and against Atlanta they held them to a FG in the 1st half. Miami could have one pf the better defenses and win games in ways we haven't seen possibly ever around here or you would have to go way way back, past Thomas and Taylor and Madison/Surtain, Past the Cross-Cox-Vincent era, you might have to start going back into the early mid 70s pretty soon if they can get it all together. Still think a playmaker or top rush guy in the front 7 from being over the top, this would be in addition to Phillips. I see teams making moves, be interesting to see who Miami might bring in late before the season starts. 

Brissett has played very well in stretches, like in early 2019,  but is only an average NFL QB at best. His preseason was almost perfect. The verdict on Tua is still out. He did have 2 nice longer throws to Gesicki in both games, playing without Parker, Fuller or Wilson. Sometimes he reminds me of Brees with a little bit of Tarkenton scrambling thrown in. But comparing Tua to Brees is like comparing Mac Jones to Brady, the likelihood of either is small. We'll know more about Tua after a few real games, with a full complement of WRs & TEs. There is a real possibility Tua gets benched, although I hopeful he takes a page from the Brees playbook.

If Tua underperforms, Miami should consider hiring Chris Simms as a general manger. He's been right on so many QBs and WRs, ranking Herbert ahead of Tua, Jackson & Allen #1 & 2, and now Wilson as #1 in 2021, which I think he got right. Let Flores pick defensive personnel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Brissett has played very well in stretches, like in early 2019,  but is only an average NFL QB at best. His preseason was almost perfect. The verdict on Tua is still out. He did have 2 nice longer throws to Gesicki in both games, playing without Parker, Fuller or Wilson. Sometimes he reminds me of Brees with a little bit of Tarkenton scrambling thrown in. But comparing Tua to Brees is like comparing Mac Jones to Brady, the likelihood of either is small. We'll know more about Tua after a few real games, with a full complement of WRs & TEs. There is a real possibility Tua gets benched, although I hopeful he takes a page from the Brees playbook.

If Tua underperforms, Miami should consider hiring Chris Simms as a general manger. He's been right on so many QBs and WRs, ranking Herbert ahead of Tua, Jackson & Allen #1 & 2, and now Wilson as #1 in 2021, which I think he got right. Let Flores pick defensive personnel.

Great point, not really fair to complain about him dinking and dunking his way down the field when all of his deep threats were in street clothes.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SoBeDad said:

Brissett has played very well in stretches, like in early 2019,  but is only an average NFL QB at best. His preseason was almost perfect. The verdict on Tua is still out. He did have 2 nice longer throws to Gesicki in both games, playing without Parker, Fuller or Wilson. Sometimes he reminds me of Brees with a little bit of Tarkenton scrambling thrown in. But comparing Tua to Brees is like comparing Mac Jones to Brady, the likelihood of either is small. We'll know more about Tua after a few real games, with a full complement of WRs & TEs. There is a real possibility Tua gets benched, although I hopeful he takes a page from the Brees playbook.

If Tua underperforms, Miami should consider hiring Chris Simms as a general manger. He's been right on so many QBs and WRs, ranking Herbert ahead of Tua, Jackson & Allen #1 & 2, and now Wilson as #1 in 2021, which I think he got right. Let Flores pick defensive personnel.

Grier unfortunately is largely applauded for his approach and even if he misses, you can't say Miami did it the same old way. Since Flores arrived he has done everything Coach Flo wants and I don't see him leaving until or at the same time they would be looking to move one from Flores which I don't see happening or even remotely discussed any time soon, in fact I think by next off season they might be talking contract extension. 

The Defense looks ridiculous and if you are telling me they are strong across both corners and potentially the slot with Safety help and Ogbah/Phillips and the Edge/OLB Miami typically dials up additional pass rushers, this team is going to be a nightmare for some fo the opposing QBs who come in here. 

They need to get the running game moving with Myles who still isn't flashy but efficient. Miami still lacks a playmaker at RB, anyone think otherwise as of now? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Grier unfortunately is largely applauded for his approach and even if he misses, you can't say Miami did it the same old way. Since Flores arrived he has done everything Coach Flo wants and I don't see him leaving until or at the same time they would be looking to move one from Flores which I don't see happening or even remotely discussed any time soon, in fact I think by next off season they might be talking contract extension. 

The Defense looks ridiculous and if you are telling me they are strong across both corners and potentially the slot with Safety help and Ogbah/Phillips and the Edge/OLB Miami typically dials up additional pass rushers, this team is going to be a nightmare for some fo the opposing QBs who come in here. 

They need to get the running game moving with Myles who still isn't flashy but efficient. Miami still lacks a playmaker at RB, anyone think otherwise as of now? 

Yep, the defense could be very good.  Tua needs to limit mistakes, and make an occasional splash play.

Grier gets credit for some great wheeling and dealing,  the Tunsil haul is huge, as could be the SF trade. Chris Simms could be a consultant or GM in training for some team.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SoBeDad said:

Yep, the defense could be very good.  Tua needs to limit mistakes, and make an occasional splash play.

Grier gets credit for some great wheeling and dealing,  the Tunsil haul is huge, as could be the SF trade. Chris Simms could be a consultant or GM in training for some team.

 

The D has looked good and looked deep, but let's face it, they need to be good enough to stop the Bills and their QB and the Pats and their power run game (forget about the Lamar's and Mahomes' of the world).  The good news is they seem to be deep at all phases of the Defense with even some of the corners they picked up off the garbage heap looking solid in the scheme.

As for the offense:  Tua has been solid (much to MoP's chagrin), as has waddle.  It's nice to see Miami finally employing crossing patterns in their offense to utilize what presumes to be the fastest WR corps we've ever had.  That being said, The O line is still an issue.  Tua has managed to be "escapable" enough to get around that in limited work so far, but what happens when the blitzing comes?  Gesecki is in "contract year" form, but Shaheen seems to be a drive killer.  Hopefully the rook takes away shaheen's playing time.  As for the Running backs:  Malcolm Brown was supposed to be a plus pass blocker but boy did he whiff vs. Atlanta.  We may need to come to grips that this is Gaskin's job with Ahmed the "gaskin Lite" player.

I will say the offensive gameplans so far look 100 miles better than chan Gailey's offense.  They actually seem to be taking Tua's preferences into account (I think the QB coach here is key to all of that).

As long as the offense plays with tempo I think we may be a force and Tua may be a FF Sleeper.  If we try to "power run" the game into submission this is a 6 win team.  If we go "Marino" with Tua then it will come down to how our D handles good offensive teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miami is so good on Defense they had to cut MLB-McKinney who will make some other NFL roster, that's what happens on good teams. 

-Miami kept a bunch of their Linebackers like Duke Riley which I am very pleased with. They have at least 7 or 8 LBs that can all do many things in that front 6-7, the exotic blitzes are going to be huge and we have Playmakers in the secondary looking to grab that football and set up some short fields. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been very quiet about DeShaun Watson and for a variety of reasons wanted to let it go and not deep dive about a player not likely to come to Miami but you would be blind or deaf if you are not paying attention. 

Houston was begging for a trade offer for Watson when camps started as they realized they weren't going to get a Hershel Walker deal for DeShaun and it almost felt like there were several lowball offers the way the Texans said nobody made them a real offer yet for Watson. 

Watson only cost $10M in salary this season...he jumps to $35M in 2022. But that's next year and they can deal with a higher salary cap and not lose all that much in terms of players and long term health of the team. The $27M signing bonus will be eaten by Houston regardless. 

Parker is going to make $12M this year for Miami at Wide Receiver. 

:drive:

 

Miami kept a couple Wide Receivers I didn't think they had room for. They have been good to Parker and he responded when they were re-doing contracts and I genuinely like Parker but agree with other posters it took forever for him to develop. I think Parker would do very well with a Top 10-15 QB in the league, if Miami moved him to free up some cap space I would not cry. 

@Gatorman let's not get the anointing oils out just yet for Tua, Game 1 of the preseason he threw an interception in the end zone on his last throw of the game. In Week 2 he went 8 for 13 and since he didn't play the last preseason game I can only assume you are keying in on this performance, yes/no? Because if so then you must know Brissett also went 8 for 8 when he came into the football game and even the Miami 3rd string QB has looked pretty sharp so far.

MoP is gonna be a hard ### on any QB who gets taken at 5th overall and won't learn the playbook, that's usually where my fire and brimstone start to reign down a bit. And please refrain from using the word Marino and Tua in the same sentence. 😂 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TripleThreat said:

I don't see a way that the trade happens. Chris Grier doesn't pay top dollar. Houston wants top dollar for a commodity with too many (22 at present) questions. 

Grier paid top dollar for Waddle in a draft very deep at WR.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How will this dolphin team win games?  (I'm about to post the same thing about the Pats).  TO me, these fins win games on Defense and with their offensive speed with Tua on the gas.  They have not solved their running issues, so while they will pay lip service to the run, they are a passing team.  So it's going to come down to Tua and the Defense.  The good news here is this defense looks stellar (I'm pretty sure the New England game plan is going to be to try and run it down our throats bc I'm not sure how you complete passes vs his team).

As for Watson (this is really a Tua post): Drew Brees was not a good QB year one.  You could see there was something there, but he had his issues. We are really being blinded by Marino, Herbert, Wilson, etc.  Guys who came in an lit the world on fire.  Miami I think has done a good job setting Tua up for success.  They gave him live game action last year (If you assumed he would have had a training camp last year, maybe he does sit the whole year, who knows), they jettisoned a bad OC in Gailey, and put guys in who play to Tua's strengths. Now, I do agree with MOP that now it is up to Tua.  If Watson was being sold at a discount (which also adds in the assumption that he could get free of all these issues by 2022) then sure, go get him.  But he's not, and he likely wont.  So you are buying a "distracted" watson for this season and possibly not having a QB for next season when he falls on the exempt list.  Wouldn't it be easier to give the ball to Tua, see what he has, and regroup next year if he fails?  Watson will still be there, as will Aaron Rodgers, as will all the rookie QBs coming into the league, etc...

Can Watson, with no training camp, no massages this year, and the legal issues hanging over him elevate this team higher than what Tua could do?  and is that worth 2 first round picks?

Again, I'll hitch my ride to Tua this year.  If MOP was a bills fan he would have punted on Josh Allen before he hit too I think..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A nice twitter thread read from someone who I respect 

https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/1436386888160514063?s=20 

Main theme of being directionally bullish on Miami in 2021 is 2nd youngest team in NFL became 14th youngest team in NFL almost purely due to young players (who contributed to a 10-6 finish a year ago) all getting a year older, more experienced....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will take any win on road in division.

OL is still a hot mess. 

Tua OK, not spectacular, made some throws when needed. Bad int. Had a really bad drop by Waddle on a drive that I felt could have led to some more points.  Definitely room for improvement.  Good connection with Parker throughout, that 3rd down pass that kept the 2nd TD drive alive was clutch.

D was bend don't break.  Came up with timely turnovers.  But really didn't pressure the rookie as much as they should have.

No clue on the coaching before halftime down 10-7.  That was just odd.  I don't like they were just settling for a field goal and running clock.  Should have been pressuring to try for a TD.  TD drives on opening drive of both halves and then no adjustments to keep offensive momentum will need to be improved on.

In the end, get the road win though.  Can't argue with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miami sits alone atop the AFC East but anyone who watched the game cannot be feeling very confident this morning and I can't say that I saw a ton of improvement in any one area. I will start with the Defense. 

-DL plus the blitzers didn't get enough pressure on Mac Jones. It should be noted that despite a sketchy skill position list of players, Mac Jones inherits a decent OL and a lot of guys back after all the opt outs in 2020. Still, Miami didn't get it done in the pass rush but I also saw guys like Ogbah get some pressures but there just wasn't a consistent pass rush. 

Mac Jones completed 75%, 30 of 40 passes and that isn't gonna work most weeks.

-The Linebackers were active, not sure they made a lot of plays and they weren't great in rush defense, didn't make a lot of blitz plays either. Baker leads the team in tackles but there weren't too many for losses that I saw. The DL was getting pushed back much of the day and Davis went down early with an injury at NT but I did see him walking the sidelines so i don't think he will miss a lot of time. Harris was 23/100 despite the fumbles and one that cost them late, Howard earned his money for sure. 

This was Miami's 2nd win in Foxboro since 2008 

-The Secondary played pretty well I thought. Nelson had a TD but overall the receivers were bottled up pretty well I thought. There were forced fumbles and fumble recoveries and this was Holland's first game, heard his number called a couple times. 

And here is all I am going to say about the offense at the moment, Tua is 3-0 vs Coach BB and the Patriots and the Offensive Line is pretty bad at the moment, especially at the Tackle spots where they have invested heavily thru the Drafts. Liam Eichenberg got knocked down and run over early in the game and had a holding call on a "trying to kill it and run the clock out" drive so he has a ton of room for improvement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • SwampDawg changed the title to *** Official 2021 Dolphins Thread - Phins 1-0, Jets, Bills and Pats all 0-1...Say What !!
1 minute ago, =Smackdown= said:

Can’t argue with a road win in division.

Will they ever get the Oline right? Eichenberg got absolutely trucked for a sack early in the game.

 

Kindley over extended his left foot and he tripped if I know the sack you're referencing.  

NOT that he was in that good of a position.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TripleThreat said:

When was the last time the Dolphins got a first down on a kill the clock to win the game scenario?  
Seems like forever.  That was clutch. 
 

Happy with the win in Foxboro in what was a classic division rivalry game.
Lots to build off of, lots of work to do. 

The good news, besides the win, is that 2 rookies, Waddle and Holland, graded out well in pff, even with the drop by Waddle. Liam and Tua had low grades (~57) but I hopeful that Liam will play better at LT, or whatever position they use him. Until last week, he had no reps at LT with Miami. I thought Tua played better than the grade indicates, especially on the 2 TD drives and to seal the game with a nice throw to Parker and a QB run. He was playing a good defense. Per Next-gen stats, Tua had the 4th highest aggressive grade, which is throwing into tight coverage. Parker gets little separation and Waddle was only average. Jalen Phillips didn't play much in the 2nd half, with Jones getting rid of the ball quickly, maybe they wanted a better run stopper. 

https://twitter.com/PFF_RyanSmith/status/1437428968701972490?s=19

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

The good news, besides the win, is that 2 rookies, Waddle and Holland, graded out well in pff, even with the drop by Waddle. Liam and Tua had low grades (~57) but I hopeful that Liam will play better at LT, or whatever position they use him. Until last week, he had no reps at LT with Miami. I thought Tua played better than the grade indicates, especially on the 2 TD drives and to seal the game with a nice throw to Parker and a QB run. He was playing a good defense. Per Next-gen stats, Tua had the 4th highest aggressive grade, which is throwing into tight coverage. Parker gets little separation and Waddle was only average. Jalen Phillips didn't play much in the 2nd half, with Jones getting rid of the ball quickly, maybe they wanted a better run stopper. 

https://twitter.com/PFF_RyanSmith/status/1437428968701972490?s=19

 

Agreed re: Tua. couple of bad decisions.  

Re: Phillips I thought he did well in the first and it's unsurprising about wanting a run stopper after R Davis went out.   

Game plan seemed really close to the vest.  Very few RPOs on O, same with the exotic amoeba blitzes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TripleThreat said:

When was the last time the Dolphins got a first down on a kill the clock to win the game scenario?  
Seems like forever.  That was clutch. 
 

Happy with the win in Foxboro in what was a classic division rivalry game.
Lots to build off of, lots of work to do. 

Great observation TT, didn't Eichenberg get flagged on that drive at the end of the game when they were trying to run out the clock? He did fight hard the whole game but he has a lot of work ahead of him. 

Is Eich starting at Left Tackle moving forward and if so what happens to Austin Jackson?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • SwampDawg changed the title to 2021 Miami Dolphins - 4 wins in a row...Defense doing it

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...