What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: The offseason begins. (3 Viewers)

Greir loves superlatives:

Waddle - fastest WR in the draft and best kick returner

Phillips - most athletic defensive lineman. 9.9 RAS.

Holland - most versatile safety.

Eichenbeg - most bench press reps in the last 5 years for OTs. He blew away the #2, Austin Jackson, 33 to 27.

Long - most "complete" traditional TE. Fastest Rubik's cube time.

Larnel Coleman - most astounding arm length and 2nd best wingspan.

Gerrid Doals - best twitter account: "If you don’t want your QB hit, take me."

Just to review our WR stable which has many parts and where we are at. 

WR1-D.Parker $12M ATC, almost $16M in dead cap space. I cannot see Miami moving him plus Fuller is likely 1 and done. 

WR2-Will Fuller $10.5M ATC, same in dead cap, might have some escalators with bonus to reach a slightly larger figure. 

WR3-Jaylen Waddle will make upwards of about $7-$8M a year like Tua. I can see where both Parker and Fuller might not be here for the long haul and we are talking about Miami drafting a WR more out of need than they ever did in this draft. We're not there yet but I can read the tea leaves. 

WR4-Preston Williams? $850k, almost nothing to cut him or trade him if there's buyers. 

WR5-Lynn Bowden? $825k, again cheap bench depth. But that's about all we've seen so far, someone who should be on the bench. 

WR6-Albert Wilson $5.2M ATC and $2.34M to cut him. I cannot understand how he is still on the roster. 

WR7-Allen Hurns $2.9M ATC and $3.4M to cut him, he's going to be on the roster this year. 

WR8-Jakeem Grant $4.7M ATC and just $600k to cut him after June 1st, Bye Bye and it's been fun rooting for you. 

WR9-Robert Foster $1M+ ATC and about $100k to release him but they signed him as recent as a few weeks ago.

WR10-Mack Hollins $987/$337k so they gave him even more guaranteed money than Foster. 

WR11-Kirk Merritt $800k this year? Good luck making the team. 

Wilson and Grant save the Phins roughly $7M and that will offset Waddle and keep Miami at about $11M under the cap going towards June 1st with more potential cuts although they could run the luxury of then keeping some other borderline roster cuts. 

One other note about Parker, his cap hit actually will go down after this year to $9M next year, pretty decent number for a receiver of his caliber. Waddle and Parker should compliment each other. 

more space

@RapSheet

·

6m

For the Washington Football Team, their moves in free agency eliminated some holes and allowed the opportunity to take best player available in the draft. Same idea here. Ereck Flowers will come in, compete to start, and allow them to follow their board.

Quote Tweet

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

· 10m

The #Dolphins and Washington Football Team are in agreement on a trade to send guard Ereck Flowers to WFT in a deal involving a swap of late-round picks, sources say. The deal is being finalized. Frees up some money for Miami, while giving Washington an OL to compete to start.
Expecting a number of cuts and restructuring in the near future 

I think you guys might have done better than the Miami FO at first glance. Which isn't to say Miami had a bad draft, it's just that I like the hypotheticals and ideas here better than what they did. 

These are just scenarios you play out fresh off the Draft. 

-Miami could have gone Pitts at 3, Phillips at 18, Holland at 36, Radunz at 50(Tackle), Dyami Brown at 81 or Carter at RB

In this scenario they would still have both their No 1 picks for next year. 

Right before Holland went Elijah Moore to the Jets and then Williams to the Broncos and it felt like they knew we were thinking about taking him there. 

-Miami could have gone Pitts at 3, Phillips at 18, Holland at 36, Radunz at 50(Tackle), Dyami Brown at 81 or Carter at RB

Right before Holland went Elijah Moore to the Jets and then Williams to the Broncos and it felt like they knew we were thinking about taking him there. 
No other real reason for the Broncos to trade up right before you, really. I'm fairly sure they were thinking that. 

They would have to stay at #12 to keep both picks next year (not draft at #3).  I don't think Pitts at 12 was an option even before he started getting the hype.  Assuming Philly drafts a WR at 6 (Waddle), likely have to do the trade to 10 to even get Smith as NYG would grab him at 11. I presume Miami had Pitts/Chase/Waddle as the 3 candidates to take at #6 when they made the trade back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
They would have to stay at #12 to keep both picks next year (not draft at #3).  I don't think Pitts at 12 was an option even before he started getting the hype.  Assuming Philly drafts a WR at 6 (Waddle), likely have to do the trade to 10 to even get Smith as NYG would grab him at 11. I presume Miami had Pitts/Chase/Waddle as the 3 candidates to take at #6 when they made the trade back up.
Good point, I forgot that very important step, back to the drawing board. 

Many evaluators think Miami did very well in the draft with all top 5 picks as big contributors in year 1.

>>Jaylen Waddle — Tyreek Hill, that’s what this guy is. He’s going to run by everybody. Change the coverage to double on him, but time out, then you got Will Fuller to run by everybody on the other side. So that’s your impact getting him.

NBC’s Chris Simms: “Unreal draft for the Dolphins. Waddle, Phillips, Holland, and now Liam Eichenberg. Four surefire big time contributors, each of them can help right now. The Dolphins are incredible with their team building. Grier and Flores continue to crush it. Holland is a heat seeking missile safety.”<<

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article250918014.html?__twitter_impression=true

Oof, have to agree.  Terribly written and terribly inaccurate.  The second he says "Waddle would almost certainly have been available at the twelfth pick", we knew the writer of this article had absolutely no grasp on this draft.

Terrible on multiple levels.  The author presents opinion as fact the entire article, making up statistics to support the author's narrative while giving zero credible sources or quantitative data.  Reminds me of a FGB post from posters I have on ignore.

Terrible on multiple levels.  The author presents opinion as fact the entire article, making up statistics to support the author's narrative while giving zero credible sources or quantitative data.  Reminds me of a FGB post from posters I have on ignore.
He also says in his bio that he was a Dolphins fan in '73 so maybe he's a little stuck in the past and anti-passing-game. 

Best take here is the first 4 picks are likely starters sooner rather than later. The 5th pick likely will be a starter either in 2 TE sets or starting in 2022 (and btw, how many times have we lamented the dolphins letting a player go without having a plan b). Finally the last 2 picks are projects but when you read people “in the know” they seem to think both have “starter quality potential “ 

fwiw, Miami finally realized they sucked at picking in rounds 4-6 so they used those picks to acquire bargains or get picks next year. 

Given what we know about free agency and the draft now, what do you all think we have to see from Tua this year?  Can he afford to take small step forward, or does he need to jump right into the Herbert/Burrow comparison levels?

Is there a stat line?  3000 yards?  30 TDs?  3-1 TD:Int ratio?  

Is he going to be measured by team wins?  Playoffs or bust?

Given what we know about free agency and the draft now, what do you all think we have to see from Tua this year?  Can he afford to take small step forward, or does he need to jump right into the Herbert/Burrow comparison levels?

Is there a stat line?  3000 yards?  30 TDs?  3-1 TD:Int ratio?  

Is he going to be measured by team wins?  Playoffs or bust?
Really depends on what the oc(s) and Flores decides to run. Tua needs to go down field more. Having waddle and fuller means you have to open it up. 

the non Tua factors are the o line and the running game. Miami is trying to fix one but kind of going with what they have on the other. If the line opens up the running game then this offense should be clicking on all cylinders. If the o line struggles or the running game is non existent Tua will be blamed for what really isn’t his fault. The defense if it remains healthy should be a top 10 d so really the playoffs with a decent stat line for Tua (3k, 25+, and maybe no more than 8 ints) should work. 

also, they should not look lost against the bills. 

I didn't write it, glad you took a strong position and many seem to agree with you 👍
Yep wasn't intended as a shot at you (unless you wrote it, in which case *bang*), just had to comment.  I love the pick for all the same reasons I was fine with LVR taking Ruggs - he's a guy that can do more for the offense that just the stat sheet will show.  He could be 60/800/8 and flip defenses on their heads because they have to commit resources to him - respecting the reverse keeps pursuit pressure down, jet sweeps will draw LB eyes on RPO backside plays, etc.  Now does the coaching staff leverage it properly (as LVR still need to show) might be the question of the season.

Many evaluators think Miami did very well in the draft with all top 5 picks as big contributors in year 1.

>>Jaylen Waddle — Tyreek Hill, that’s what this guy is. He’s going to run by everybody. Change the coverage to double on him, but time out, then you got Will Fuller to run by everybody on the other side. So that’s your impact getting him.

NBC’s Chris Simms: “Unreal draft for the Dolphins. Waddle, Phillips, Holland, and now Liam Eichenberg. Four surefire big time contributors, each of them can help right now. The Dolphins are incredible with their team building. Grier and Flores continue to crush it. Holland is a heat seeking missile safety.”<<

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article250918014.html?__twitter_impression=true
I was never sad they took Holland and he is more than a big hitter type, he will help in run support but what I like is he is a Safety that can also come up and play Man in the Slot if need be. He can take away their best receiver if that WR happens to line up in the slot and then we have this guy named Howard at Corner if the receiver lines up outside and it will change this secondary which will hold their coverage longer allowing guys on the Edge a little more time to get to the QB, it works both ways. Great Edge/DL can cover up a little bit of a hit n miss Secondary, I like to believe ours is one of the better ones being assembled right now. And it likely will be McCain that gets shipped not Rowe as the season unfolds. McCain was a 5th round selection, no tears shed if he is moved on his way, been a great Dolphin thru this rebuild but we need to get to the next level at Safety, 

LT-Austin Jackson, LG-Liam Eichenberg, C-Skura, RG-Kindley, RT-Robert Hunt, #6 Jesse Davis #7 Deiter, #8 Fluker

Exciting part is we drafted 4 of these guys and since they started 3 rookies last year, doubt they hesitate to start one more especially since they traded up to get him. Rest assured he is going to be playing this season. I think it would be easiest to allow the 3 guys from 2020 Draft go ahead and continue same spots in 2021 vs moving Hunt inside and maybe Eich fits at RT but then they shuffle him inside, if they want it to work in 2021 I believe this is the winning formula, maybe Hunt and EIch swap spots in '22. But there is depth for once and we aren't spending a fortune trying to fi the problem except in draft capital. We potentially are looking at our starting OL and we even have an UDFA names Jones at Tackle that some are high on so camp should be very interesting. Deiter could challenge at LG. 

Really depends on what the oc(s) and Flores decides to run. Tua needs to go down field more. Having waddle and fuller means you have to open it up. 

the non Tua factors are the o line and the running game. Miami is trying to fix one but kind of going with what they have on the other. If the line opens up the running game then this offense should be clicking on all cylinders. If the o line struggles or the running game is non existent Tua will be blamed for what really isn’t his fault. The defense if it remains healthy should be a top 10 d so really the playoffs with a decent stat line for Tua (3k, 25+, and maybe no more than 8 ints) should work. 

100% agree with this.

2nd year - Healthy, added weight/muscle, off season program, training camp, WR's that can get separation - all things he didn't have last year.

Needs to step up and take it to the next level. There was a notable difference in his overall speed from Alabama to his first year in Miami. Hope that hip is finally healed and he's back to somewhat normal.

If the o line struggles or the running game is non existent Tua will be blamed for what really isn’t his fault. The defense if it remains healthy should be a top 10 d so really the playoffs with a decent stat line for Tua (3k, 25+, and maybe no more than 8 ints) should work. 

Where are we getting this projection? We have lost pieces and are now asking rookies to take the charge. 

I do love what you say about having to open it up...if Miami does not do well thru the air, it won't be because Tua didn't have any weapons, right? So we should have some concrete data about Tua and our 5th overall pick this season. 

Do you really see Miami as a Top 10 Defense? They might be coached up to that but I don't think they are bleeding talent right now. In fact this defense is going to need the offense to bail them out for a change, at least some weeks. 

Where are we getting this projection? We have lost pieces and are now asking rookies to take the charge. 

I do love what you say about having to open it up...if Miami does not do well thru the air, it won't be because Tua didn't have any weapons, right? So we should have some concrete data about Tua and our 5th overall pick this season. 

Do you really see Miami as a Top 10 Defense? They might be coached up to that but I don't think they are bleeding talent right now. In fact this defense is going to need the offense to bail them out for a change, at least some weeks. 
I do see miami as a top 10 defense. Why wouldn’t you?  Last year they had no “impact” pass rusher yet still managed to get to the qb without blitzing that much. They have corners and safeties that can shut down opponents not named diggs, and were credible against the tight end position except for the two best in the nfl. They added a better pass rushing prospect than they had on the roster last year, as well as a true coverage safety as opposed to the converted corners they had at safety last year. Flo believes in player growth so when someone looks to be the next guy he doesn’t want the current guy to take snaps from him. (Can’t say I 100% agree with that take but it makes more sense that the coaches we’ve had here before)

they struggled against Allen, mahomes (while still causing 3 turnovers or so in that game) and the pats in the first game together where they got outmuscled by cam and their running game. They shut down Herbert, and so thoroughly confused the chargers that they checked into running plays bc they couldn’t figure out the cover zero.  

of the 10 wins last year, 7 were likely caused by the defense. Of our 6 losses, 3 are probably on the defense as well as we could not cover diggs the first go round and were totally outplayed in week 16 and while we gave KC all they could handle in the first half, after a while the levee broke and mahomes went mahomes on us.

the Arizona game was won by tua and the Las Vegas game by the fitz magic moonshot pass. 

I do see miami as a top 10 defense. Why wouldn’t you?  Last year they had no “impact” pass rusher yet still managed to get to the qb without blitzing that much. They have corners and safeties that can shut down opponents not named diggs, and were credible against the tight end position except for the two best in the nfl. They added a better pass rushing prospect than they had on the roster last year, as well as a true coverage safety as opposed to the converted corners they had at safety last year. Flo believes in player growth so when someone looks to be the next guy he doesn’t want the current guy to take snaps from him. (Can’t say I 100% agree with that take but it makes more sense that the coaches we’ve had here before)

they struggled against Allen, mahomes (while still causing 3 turnovers or so in that game) and the pats in the first game together where they got outmuscled by cam and their running game. They shut down Herbert, and so thoroughly confused the chargers that they checked into running plays bc they couldn’t figure out the cover zero.  

of the 10 wins last year, 7 were likely caused by the defense. Of our 6 losses, 3 are probably on the defense as well as we could not cover diggs the first go round and were totally outplayed in week 16 and while we gave KC all they could handle in the first half, after a while the levee broke and mahomes went mahomes on us.

the Arizona game was won by tua and the Las Vegas game by the fitz magic moonshot pass. 
I think the defensive personnel improved in pass rush and at safety.

That said, the defense probably wasn't as good as their numbers last year. They got lucky in the turnover department in more than a couple games. In games like SF and LAR, that put them ahead early and gave them more favorable pass rush situations the rest of the game. I think they outpunched their weight class, and the defense we saw in December is more in line with the talent level last year. Credit coaching for getting a lot out of them, but there were talent deficiencies you can only mask for so long.

So while I think we did improve the defense from last year, finishing middle of the pack wouldn't surprise me. You just can't count on the favorable TO numbers and game script happening twice in a row.

I was a bit surprised by the Holland pick, but he is my favorite pick of the draft now. A ball-hawk safety who can cover the slot and lay the hammer? I think he'll be what Minkah was unwilling to be for this defense.

Anyone see Gaskin losing touches or snaps to Lynn Bowden?  Pretty crowded stable of WRs in 2021 and Bowden has some versatility - think he could be a gadget guy (Percy Harvin-esque)?

I just dont see how Gaskin will be a workhorse in this offense due to his limited ability to make people miss.

Anyone see Gaskin losing touches or snaps to Lynn Bowden?  Pretty crowded stable of WRs in 2021 and Bowden has some versatility - think he could be a gadget guy (Percy Harvin-esque)?

I just dont see how Gaskin will be a workhorse in this offense due to his limited ability to make people miss.
Bowden is a slot WR. He was only a RB in Oakland, and they traded him a couple months after drafting him because they realized he wasn't a RB. 

I think Gaskin will be fine and will get close to the work he got last year, losing some short yardage to Brown since he's an upgrade to Howard in that role.

I think the defensive personnel improved in pass rush and at safety.

That said, the defense probably wasn't as good as their numbers last year. They got lucky in the turnover department in more than a couple games. In games like SF and LAR, that put them ahead early and gave them more favorable pass rush situations the rest of the game. I think they outpunched their weight class, and the defense we saw in December is more in line with the talent level last year. Credit coaching for getting a lot out of them, but there were talent deficiencies you can only mask for so long.

So while I think we did improve the defense from last year, finishing middle of the pack wouldn't surprise me. You just can't count on the favorable TO numbers and game script happening twice in a row.
While turnovers are considered kind of a "side effect" of good defense, Miami's scheme was to force turnovers. Miami was a cover zero, attack your QB, make you make mistakes,and get field position D by design.  It wasn't a "bend and don't break D" and the only difference between Miami and a team like the Rams when it came to D is the Rams D skill players include 2 of the best at their position (Ramsey and Donald) while Miami only has one top guy at their position (Howard, and I'll admit I think Ramsey is better than Howard).

Teams that could beat the dolphins D had to have one of three elements: 

1) A power running game (New England, Game 1)

2) A receiver that couldn't be covered and even if he was covered could make impossible catches.  (Diggs, Hill, Kelce, Waller)

3) A "running or mobile" QB:  Allen, Cam, and Kyler Murray (Mahomes gets a little nod here as well but Miami, arguably played the best D against him until he got to the Super Bowl).

Everyone else, Miami managed to slow them down, and it usually the offense in those games that didn't do enough to win.

Love to see this, especially from Cosell...

“I’m not going to compare him to Chase Young. He’s in a class of his own. But of all the edge rushers I’ve watched, all the ones considered the top guys, I liked his tape the most, his traits the most." - Greg Cosell on Jaelen Phillips (Miami Herald)

Comments like this are a pet-peeve of mine. Not such thing as surefire in the draft. I think people use this when there isn't already an injury, character, or other serious flaw that makes them an obvious project. Busts can happen for a lot of reasons.

Bowden is a slot WR. He was only a RB in Oakland, and they traded him a couple months after drafting him because they realized he wasn't a RB. 

I think Gaskin will be fine and will get close to the work he got last year, losing some short yardage to Brown since he's an upgrade to Howard in that role.
Starter:

Gaskin and he should blow by his numbers of a year ago if he can stay healthy. He missed like a month last season. In fact just 10 games, if you project out for a 17 game schedule, Gaskin could be a Draft Day steal as the summer rolls along. Miami really did not bring in a huge competition for him. 

Depth:

Salvon Ahmed and as others point out he looked pretty good in limited flashes. 

Malcolm Brown signed a guaranteed contract and is likely to make the roster come September. He is going to see some action in short yardage and probably inside the 10 yd line or near the end zone. 

Gerrid Doaks (R): Practice squad but I anticipate him making the team. 

TripleThreat said:
Bobby McCain gone per Shefter

Hooker could be in the mix. 
I was thinking Rowe would get the released since we drafted McCain in the 5th, certainly gout our returns on him. I think it's $1.5M ATC right now v half after June 1st but I applaud Miami for doing him the service of finding a team now if they release him today. 

Rowe was originally drafted by New England and did make a couple nice plays for us last 2 seasons. I think Miami will still sign a Safety out there, maybe Hooker but it will be a 1 year deal, nothing long term. Holland is going to play immediately and Jones will likely see an increased role. Rowe could also be asked to restructure his deal, he just saw McCain released, maybe he feels he would prefer to stay here even for a little less money but more guaranteed this season. 

Miami ranked 31st as a unit at Safety last season according to some ESPN projection links in another thread but it is a 66 slide projection and there was a lot to digest. i thought the rankings of our Safety so low was likely a reason we were going to shuffle things up quickly. 

Jones has a lot to prove and was not nearly the prospect coming into the NFL that Holland is. The Safety we have, Fdejelum or something, he is still likely to make the team as a Special Teams player where he excels. Jones and Holland makes 3, Miami might bring in on more to go with Rowe while camps roll along and then be ready to make another cut before Week 1. 

Miami will carry 9 DBs...Howard, Jones, Noah, Needham, Perry, Holland, Jones, Rowe, Free Agent? Anyone else is going practice squad. 

-Miami will now carry $16.9M in Dead Cap money so far this season, 11th highest in the NFL.

-Miami saves roughly $5.5M by releasing McCain

-Fitzpatrick, Kyle Van Noy and Bobby McCain were all team Captains last year so I guess Jaelen Phillips, Jevon Holland and Tua can fill those roles up, no sweat. And you see my point when we are projecting wins and losses here and everyone is so enamored with Waddle. Jaylen Waddle does not cover in the Secondary, he doesn't blitz the QB(maybe he should), he doesn't stop a RB a couple yards beyond the LOS and so on and so forth. Huge leadership loss on this team and very young across most positions. 

I would not be shocked if McCain stays in the Division but many teams could use his service and while he might not get the same money he was set to make here, I don't expect him to be unemployed very long. 

Omar Kelly has to be one of my least favorite Miami Dolphins beat writers and his personality doesn't help but...

"Moves like this are why I’ll NEVER buy into this team bullsh!t these coaches are always selling.

Saw Dolphins do Yeremiah Bell dirty, TJ McDonald dirty, Reshad Jones dirty.

Now Bobby McCain, released after the draft."

-@OmarKelly

Not sure I agree with Omar and if you are a Miami Dolphins' employee and you perhaps scroll across this and read this, and this is the guy asking questions at news conferences and writing opinion columns in the Sun Sentinel? Miami made Jones just about the highest paid Safety for a period of time and I was on record as wanting to move Jones prior to them getting into a bad contract with him. 

Just amazing this guy keeps his job. 

Omar Kelly has to be one of my least favorite Miami Dolphins beat writers and his personality doesn't help but...

"Moves like this are why I’ll NEVER buy into this team bullsh!t these coaches are always selling.

Saw Dolphins do Yeremiah Bell dirty, TJ McDonald dirty, Reshad Jones dirty.

Now Bobby McCain, released after the draft."

-@OmarKelly

Not sure I agree with Omar and if you are a Miami Dolphins' employee and you perhaps scroll across this and read this, and this is the guy asking questions at news conferences and writing opinion columns in the Sun Sentinel? Miami made Jones just about the highest paid Safety for a period of time and I was on record as wanting to move Jones prior to them getting into a bad contract with him. 

Just amazing this guy keeps his job. 
Barry Jackson and Joe Schad are the best Dolphins beat writers. They have insider knowledge, like Hank Goldberg back in the day. For example, on twitter, Barry was tweeting the draft picks a few minutes before they were announced. Barry and Adam Beasley predicted the McCain release a while ago.

Both Barry & Joe are on top of the cap implications and various metrics such as PFF.

Agree about Omar. 

Users who are viewing this thread