What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As President of the United States, being optimistic to the public is not the right thing to do when you don't know the severity of an issue that has already seen deadly results. He either needs to just say the facts or leave all the talking to Pence + CDC. His 'optimistic' thoughts on coronavirus is only going to make the virus spread more as some people won't take it seriously. Some of his supporters have already come out and said that they don't think the coronavirus is real. 

As far as the stock market goes, I have a good amount of money in there and am not happy with the markets crashing but people who are more concerned about that over lives being lost need to take a hard look in the mirror.
So you're moving on from the claim about 15, sounds about right.

From the same link

Seems pretty dang clear

Of the 15 people — the “original 15,” as I call them — 8 of them have returned to their homes, to stay in their homes until fully recovered.  One is in the hospital and five have fully recovered.  And one is, we think, in pretty good shape and it’s in between hospital and going home.

So we have a total of — but we have a total of 15 people, and they’re in a process of recovering, with some already having fully recovered.
It isn't clear at all. Trump doesn't mention a word throughout the entire press conference about more people being potentially effected by the coronavirus. Based off of that, why would anyone assume that he wasn't expecting the cases to be close to 0 in a couple of days based off of that quote?

So you're moving on from the claim about 15, sounds about right.
Not at all, it is one of multiple examples of how Trump has attempted to downplay the virus over the past week. The post you're quoting is me just touching on how him approaching coronavirus like this is dangerous and will result in the virus being spread around even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe he is trying to present the optimistic side of things as too many folks are predicting armageddon.  The panic is causing the bond and stock market to do stupid things right now.  
The panic is coming from inconsistent and poor messaging....and that's being as nice as I can be with regard to the messaging.  This administration seems to believe that we don't get information from anything other than it.  What was being preached worldwide was significantly different (measured and realistic) than what this administration was preaching.  Now they are spending their time back tracking, clearing up incoherent messages etc.  If he's attempting to present the optimistic side of things, he's doing a terrible job and should leave it to someone else because that's exactly what we need....an optimistic message.

From the same link

Seems pretty dang clear

Of the 15 people — the “original 15,” as I call them — 8 of them have returned to their homes, to stay in their homes until fully recovered.  One is in the hospital and five have fully recovered.  And one is, we think, in pretty good shape and it’s in between hospital and going home.

So we have a total of — but we have a total of 15 people, and they’re in a process of recovering, with some already having fully recovered.
THE PRESIDENT:  No, because we’re ready for it.  It is what it is.  We’re ready for it.  We’re really prepared.  We have — as I said, we’ve had — we have the greatest people in the world.  We’re very ready for it.  We hope it doesn’t spread.  There’s a chance that it won’t spread too, and there’s a chance that it will, and then it’s a question of at what level.

So far, we’ve done a great job.  When you have 15 people, with this whole world coming into the United States, and the 15 people are either better or close to being better, that’s pretty good.

There’s a chance it won’t spread, and so far we have 15 that are almost better, in the same thought pattern, is what I’m talking about. 

Saying you hope the President gets it or that "We'd be better off with him dead" is poor form.  As strongly as we all disagree--I would hope that we can agree that wishing the virus and or death on anyone is unacceptable.  And it's a very small percentage of the board that's doing it.  

And it isn't a left or a right issue.  It's just an unacceptable issue.  
If you are going to put something in quotes...it probably should be an actual quote someone said.  What AJ said was wrong...but it wasn't what was said in your “” above.

You haven't read it?  That explains a lot. ;)  See what I did with your words there?  That particular quote came at the end of an answer to a question in the Q&A about traveling in the summer.  It's entire quoted sentence is:

"And again" refers to what he's previously said about these 15 people, that requires you to go get some context if you weren't reading/listening to the entire exchange.  But, yes, I see now if that was the only thing you heard or read from the speech you could easily misinterpret it (or purposely misconstrue it).  I agree it takes some work sometimes to figure out what he's trying to say.

It is spreading and we do not know how many people have it.  We are behind on the testing right this second.  I think it was a good response to shut down travel to China.  It seemed like a delayed response getting to Washington to me, but if they do what they said last night, and 4-5 million test kits are available over the next week and a half.  It sounds like a good plan to me and that dork Jay Inslee agreed. 
I listened to the press conference when it aired. I’ve had time to go back and read it, my mind hasn’t changed. Early on it’s reasonable to argue he’s only talking about the og15, but near the end he claims the virus may not spread and then says we’re doing good, we had 15 and they’re almost better. Says nothing about the very likely probability that it will spread and more will die, just like what has happened. 

THE PRESIDENT:  No, because we’re ready for it.  It is what it is.  We’re ready for it.  We’re really prepared.  We have — as I said, we’ve had — we have the greatest people in the world.  We’re very ready for it.  We hope it doesn’t spread.  There’s a chance that it won’t spread too, and there’s a chance that it will, and then it’s a question of at what level.

So far, we’ve done a great job.  When you have 15 people, with this whole world coming into the United States, and the 15 people are either better or close to being better, that’s pretty good.

There’s a chance it won’t spread, and so far we have 15 that are almost better, in the same thought pattern, is what I’m talking about. 
And yet... Trump's message was loud and clear to even Tim.  This isn't something to worry about.

Apparently there were 51 confirmed cases today in the US and three more deaths. 

ETA: Make that 84

No, we just have the ability to comprehend what we read
One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers. You look at our air and our water, and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including — just many other places — the air is incredibly dirty. And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from. And it takes many people to start off with.

Jake Sherman @JakeSherman

In the last 24 hours, I’ve spoken to lots of sources on the Hill and in the White House and I’ve become convinced that Washington’s response to coronavirus is going to be a massive massive story.
Ya think?  People will die because the government didn't implement even basic screening of people returning from known areas of infection.  And downplayed the risks.  And cut the CDC.  And suggested it was all a lib hoax.

I'm honestly on the fence about how the Trump supporters will react if this virus ravages their communities.  "Who you going to believe?  Me or your lying eyes?"

Obviously things can change quickly but I like how the administration is being open and keeping this front and center. Trump answering questions today with CDC officials and Pence now with officials answering questions. Hopefully the damage is limited and this doesn't get out of hand.

One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers. You look at our air and our water, and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including — just many other places — the air is incredibly dirty. And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from. And it takes many people to start off with.
Studs?????

Is that you?

:(

Jackson Proskow‏ @JProskowGlobal 42m42 minutes ago

Trump is currently touring the CDC amidst a global health crisis while wearing a hat for his re-election campaign. (photo at link)

“I didn’t know people died from the flu” says Trump, as he says COVID19 fatality rate could be the same as the Flu.

https://twitter.com/JProskowGlobal/status/1236045450957987841
I can't believe he said that about the flu. Is there video of this?

He  took time during his CDC visit to tell everyone that Jay Inslee (Washington Gov) is a snake and he told Pence to not be nice to him and that the virus tests are all "perfect" like "the letter" whatever that means. 

He also wore a ridiculous red hat :lol:

He  took time during his CDC visit to tell everyone that Jay Inslee (Washington Gov) is a snake and he told Pence to not be nice to him and that the virus tests are all "perfect" like "the letter" whatever that means. 

He also wore a ridiculous red hat :lol:
Pence screwed up being nice to the dems. "Low Energy Pence".

Re: the ship - 

Buried in the article: Out of 3000 passengers, only 46 were tested. *Of them*, 21 were positive for coronavirus.

Obviously things can change quickly but I like how the administration is being open and keeping this front and center. Trump answering questions today with CDC officials and Pence now with officials answering questions. Hopefully the damage is limited and this doesn't get out of hand.
Pence just said there are less 200 cases in the US, but there aren't! There are 250+! 

Leadership and empathy on display

Trump on why he wants to leave people on the ship: “I like the numbers being where they are. I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.” And: “They would like to quarantine people. Now when they do that our numbers are going to go up.”
I’m sure the uninfected people on the ship will love hearing that the President wants to keep them stuck on the ship and increase their chance of infection just so “the numbers” don’t go up.

I think people are misunderstanding what I wrote earlier. If so, then it’s my fault for not making myself clear. Of course I don’t want anyone to get this virus and I certainly don’t want anyone to die from it. But it seems to me that (a) it is spreading much faster through our society than we can possibly prevent (b) most people who get it will recover without assistance, (c) the mortality rate is (I suspect) much lower than 1%, perhaps much lower than the common flu. If this is the case then given the choice between a slow spread of the virus in which we continue to panic and severely harm our economy by banning large gatherings and quarantining those afflicted, with no positive result, and a fast spread of the virus in which the public realizes that in over 99% of the cases it’s not a serious illness and this leads us back to normality, I would much prefer the latter. Of course I would prefer most of all that nobody gets sick but that doesn’t seem to be one of the options, and I don’t see the point of sticking our heads in the sand and trying to pretend that it is. 

Hope that’s a little more clear. 

I think people are misunderstanding what I wrote earlier. If so, then it’s my fault for not making myself clear. Of course I don’t want anyone to get this virus and I certainly don’t want anyone to die from it. But it seems to me that (a) it is spreading much faster through our society than we can possibly prevent (b) most people who get it will recover without assistance, (c) the mortality rate is (I suspect) much lower than 1%, perhaps much lower than the common flu. If this is the case then given the choice between a slow spread of the virus in which we continue to panic and severely harm our economy by banning large gatherings and quarantining those afflicted, with no positive result, and a fast spread of the virus in which the public realizes that in over 99% of the cases it’s not a serious illness and this leads us back to normality, I would much prefer the latter. Of course I would prefer most of all that nobody gets sick but that doesn’t seem to be one of the options, and I don’t see the point of sticking our heads in the sand and trying to pretend that it is. 

You're making a lot of assumptions there for which we really don't have supporting evidence in this case. If you're wrong about the mortality rate, if it's significantly higher than 1% (and to be clear, even 1% in a pandemic represents a pretty terrible outcome), slowing things down is increasingly beneficial. The time is needed to prepare responses, mitigation, etc. Also, the slower this advances, the more time is purchased to formulate and distribute vaccinations.

Tim.....this is going to be something we take a vaccine for yearly (or however X number of years) moving forward.  We are well passed "prevention"....well passed.  We are moving to the contain/control portion of the program.  Hopefully that happens as quickly as possible, but I have my doubts.

You're making a lot of assumptions there for which we really don't have supporting evidence in this case. If you're wrong about the mortality rate, if it's significantly higher than 1% (and to be clear, even 1% in a pandemic represents a pretty terrible outcome), slowing things down is increasingly beneficial. The time is needed to prepare responses, mitigation, etc. Also, the slower this advances, the more time is purchased to formulate and distribute vaccinations.
I realize fully that if I’m wrong then we’re screwed. But here’s the thing: even if I AM wrong, I still have serious doubt that we can slow things down. 

Tim.....this is going to be something we take a vaccine for yearly (or however X number of years) moving forward.  We are well passed "prevention"....well passed.  We are moving to the contain/control portion of the program.  Hopefully that happens as quickly as possible, but I have my doubts.
18 months to 2 years for a vaccine. We can’t possibly slow things down for that long. 

18 months to 2 years for a vaccine. We can’t possibly slow things down for that long. 
Don't disagree completely...it can be slowed a bit.  We just have to be personally responsible to slow it.  Many Americans won't be, especially if the instruction comes from the government.  But you're making my point for me.  We had a really small window to act, similar to the SARS outbreak and we missed it.  Now it's going to be a management event.

4:25 p.m: Minnesota reports first coronavirus case

5:20 p.m: First coronavirus case in Oklahoma

6:35 p.m: Connecticut reveals first coronavirus case

7:18 p.m: First coronavirus case in Kentucky reported

8:05 p.m: Nebraska reports first coronavirus case

Stupid Cruise Ships

Lot of politicians like to be the hero who is the face of the recovery.  Trump wants to be the face of the crash.  He can't help giving us the play by play.  Dope.

Leadership and empathy on display

Trump on why he wants to leave people on the ship: “I like the numbers being where they are. I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.” And: “They would like to quarantine people. Now when they do that our numbers are going to go up.”
I'd urge everyone to pump the breaks before denigrating Trump here. 

I'm sure someone will come in and tell us that that this quote was out of context or something.  Its got to be.  For reals.  Its hard to comprehend an actual human (i.e. not a lizard person... someone with an actual soul) could say such a thing.

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread