What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The US has 338 cases, Mexico has 6.  If anything, Mexico should be worried about their northern border.
Yet they are gathering right now at the southern border to make a rush for it on 3/12.  Perhaps the Mexican government should educate their people better?

Yet they are gathering right now at the southern border to make a rush for it on 3/12.  Perhaps the Mexican government should educate their people better?
Couple questions: first, who's supposedly reporting this? Sounds like fear mongering to me, but whatever. Second, since CV cases are already more widespread here, why is that suddenly a worry?

Couple questions: first, who's supposedly reporting this? Sounds like fear mongering to me, but whatever. Second, since CV cases are already more widespread here, why is that suddenly a worry?
No reason to extrapolate the situation. 

Not sure "extrapolate" means what you think it means
Extrapolation is a way to make guesses about the future or about some hypothetical situation based on data that you already know. 

In other words, in my context, no reason make the situation possibly worse by allowing a huge influx of people into the country right now.

No reason to assume everything will be OK if huge numbers pour into the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Extrapolation is a way to make guesses about the future or about some hypothetical situation based on data that you already know. 

In other words, in my context, no reason make the situation possibly worse by allowing a huge influx of people into the country right now.

No reason to assume everything will be OK if huge numbers pour into the US.
And what about the federal Immigration & Naturalization Act, that requires the government to let people in? Just break it?

And what about the federal Immigration & Naturalization Act, that requires the government to let people in? Just break it?
If it ever got to a crises the President has the authority to stop people from coming in, doesn't he?  Not to mention the other 999 reasons why we should have control over our borders.

If it ever got to a crises the President has the authority to stop people from coming in, doesn't he?  ...
So in you’re opinion - based on the threat of a disease currently affecting 6 people - a President can override laws, is that right? No, I don’t think so.

No reason to assume everything will be OK if huge numbers pour into the 
Lots of words for explaining away not using the word exacerbate....

Sending troops to the border to help with a possible 3/12 rush can help prevent coronavirus after the 9th circuit does their thing again, then have to get Supreme Court intervention.
Yeah that really isn’t an answer to what was being discussed nor some big solution about the virus given the statistics south of the border.

And flights? should they be stopped? From the Mexicos, I mean.
Yes, there are limitations, but some things you can try to control.  If it ever got to an epidemic out of control, then yes, that would probably be looked at and not just from one country.  I would be more worried about people coming from China to the US with regards to the CV.

Top.  Men.

“They said they would not test me because, if I were wearing the recommended protective equipment, then I wouldn’t have the coronavirus. What kind of science-based answer is that?” the nurse, who asked to remain anonymous, said".

That was mid-week.  I'm sure the government response has improved in the meantime.

Why take the chance?  One of many reasons to control the borders.
What was being discussed was how Trump has dine more than any other country...when i asked how so...you brought up the border.

Why take the chance isn't really a great reason nor a great way to stop  the spread of this.

congrats on derailing this though

Yes, there are limitations, but some things you can try to control.  If it ever got to an epidemic out of control, then yes, that would probably be looked at and not just from one country.  I would be more worried about people coming from China to the US.
So if they can afford a plane ticket it's ok. Right. I'll disengage now.

Definitely rush troops to the southern border only.  Despite not one case coming here that way as far as we know.
I believe he only sent 160 to help border agents with the expected rush pending the 9th Circuit's decision.   I wouldn't call that a huge waste of resources.  Besides, any help the border agents can get is a good thing.

Let me ask you this.  If there was a huge outbreak that becomes out of control, what would you suggest be done about air travel into the US?
There was a huge outbreak in China and you stopped non Americans from flying to the US. Are Americans immune to the disease? (Hint you should stop ALL travel if you are concerned about the epidemic, then separately evacuate your citizens to quarantine)

And my counter question: Is six cases a major outbreak? out of 129m? (Mind you, that's only counting the one Mexico). 

Actually I was just leaving to spend what is expected to be a glorious weather day here in Minnesota.  In March you have to get out and enjoy it every chance you get when it's supposed to be in the 50s and sunny.
Enjoy your day. And thanks for voting for Biden. 

On Twitter you can mute words.  At this point when it comes to the virus I feel like muting the president.   Don't have a problem with Pence.  Don't have a problem with the CDC or other groups on what they are saying.   Then Trump trying to make it all about himself just confuses the issues.  He is contradicting people IN THE MIDDLE OF SENTENCES

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1236059773231079430

Seriously someone send Billy Madison to the golf course 

I can’t be the only one who’s seen some of these clips of the big guy talking about the situation and his “knowledge” of things and immediately envision behind the scene instances that are full on The Office/Michael Scott moments:

CDC person:  the World Health Organization indicates the R0 is currently at 2.3 to 3.8

Trump:  Who says this?

CDC person:  Correct, sir

Trump:  *Michael Scott face*

On Twitter you can mute words.  At this point when it comes to the virus I feel like muting the president.   Don't have a problem with Pence.  Don't have a problem with the CDC or other groups on what they are saying.   Then Trump trying to make it all about himself just confuses the issues.  He is contradicting people IN THE MIDDLE OF SENTENCES

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1236059773231079430

Seriously someone send Billy Madison to the golf course 
Gee, not as good as the perfect transcript - sounds bad.

With this and the comment about not letting the cruise passengers disembark, Trump is letting on that the centerpiece of his media strategy is to keep the test numbers and case tallies low and underreported. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread