What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On January 28th the WHO reported that there was limited human-to-human transmission of the virus.  On January 30th the WHO revised their findings and said there was a high risk of transmission at a global level.  On January 31st Trump instituted his first travel ban.  

Fauci on the Today Show (February 29th) said that the lack of widespread, confirmed community spread meant that it was not yet time for radical responses like shutting down large gatherings and businesses.

You are doing a poor job of revisionist history.  
Trump is not only responsible for not grasping the information available to him, his administration and their actions are also responsible for the information gathering.   We should certainly be involved with and responsive to information from international health organizations, but we could of and should of had our own experts already embedded in China to gather our own information. But that person was reassigned as part of the trade wars.  

Government always fails when left to the devices of those that only see government being useful as a way to line their own pockets.  But we never learn!

I agree, outbreaks are going to occur.  The phased openings are just a way to control infections without taxing the healthcare systems.  It's time to move into a quarantine of all high risk individuals and allow portions of low risk populations to begin getting infected.    
So I hear this a lot and I continue to wonder who's going to convey this to the virus.  I haven't come up with the answer to that yet.

Trump gets justifiably ripped for changing his opinion because it takes him weeks to understand what everyone else already knew.

That's the crux of the entire problem. That's why we're in this mess. That's why our death toll is so much higher than so many other countries. It's all because it took Trump 10 weeks to figure this stuff out.

The majority of the world knew in January that this wasn't like the flu, but Trump was still saying "you can call it the flu" in late March.

The majority of the world knew in January that the virus had spread throughout the world, yet Trump thought that he only needed to block some foreigners from China -- and even then, he gave them 2 days notice, and allowed them to bring the infection into the United States if they stopped off in Canada first.

The majority of the country knew in February that the virus was spreading throughout the country, yet Trump said "Fifteen....within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero."

Time and time again, Trump didn't take the virus seriously, failed to grasp basic concepts, and didn't listen to his advisors. (And he's still doing it by blatantly ignoring his own reopening guidelines.)

You think he should be praised for finally realizing all this after several weeks? Come on. His ineptitude is leading to thousands of lost lives.
On January 28th the WHO reported that there was limited human-to-human transmission of the virus.  On January 30th the WHO revised their findings and said there was a high risk of transmission at a global level.  On January 31st Trump instituted his first travel ban.  

Fauci on the Today Show (February 29th) said that the lack of widespread, confirmed community spread meant that it was not yet time for radical responses like shutting down large gatherings and businesses.

You admit that Trump knew on January 30th that there was a high risk of transmission at a global level.....yet he only instituted a partial travel ban for one country (with lots of loopholes)? And you think he should be patted on the back for that?

Also, you have completely misrepresented what Fauci said on the Today show. He actually said "We're having, now, the beginnings of what's called 'community spread'." (link).

Talk about revisionist history.

Are you interested in this discussion? I hate going through the work of laying this stuff out if it's not well received or engaged in. Trump's first briefing was on January 3rd.

Before I do this, I mean if you want me to, what you have to realize - and I wonder if you do - as a premise, a basic axiom, is that novel viruses, coronaviruses or otherwise, once released are just a question of rate of spread. That's it. When the first case hit our shore, and maybe before once it left Wuhan, we knew we had to start preparing. I don't really blame the public. The states, local authorities - well as I said above maybe they deserve some blame, but another premise you have to understand is that the reason we have a federal government, the reason the Founders created it, is just for this reason, to marshal the states in times of crisis.

Anyway let me know if you want that discussion.

You admit that Trump knew on January 30th that there was a high risk of transmission at a global level.....yet he only instituted a partial travel ban for one country (with lots of loopholes)? And you think he should be patted on the back for that?

Also, you have completely misrepresented what Fauci said on the Today show. He actually said "We're having, now, the beginnings of what's called 'community spread'." (link).

Trump also did what after the partial travel ban?  Odd how someone stating you are revising history...leaves out what all happened next and what was all said next by Trump.

Trump administration won't implement CDC's recommendations for reopening

The Trump administration will not implement the Centers for Disease Control’s 17-page draft recommendation for reopening America, a senior CDC official confirmed to CNN.

What was in the document: The guidance provided more detailed suggestions beyond the reopening guidelines the administration had put forth last month, including specific suggestions for schools and churches.

A senior CDC official confirms to CNN that last night it was clear that the White House was not going to implement their 17-page draft recommendation for reopening America – after it asked for it.  

Trump also did what after the partial travel ban?  Odd how someone stating you are revising history...leaves out what all happened next and what was all said next by Trump.
He did a partial ban and then said "We cut off access to the country!" (Meanwhile, thousands of infected people from all over the world were allowed to stream into the country over the next 6 weeks.) He just had no clue, no understanding. He seriously acted like the virus could only come from Chinese people.

He did a partial ban and then said "We cut off access to the country!" (Meanwhile, thousands of infected people from all over the world were allowed to stream into the country over the next 6 weeks.) He just had no clue, no understanding. He seriously acted like the virus could only come from Chinese people.
Sometimes, you have to know when to fold em. You're giving too much effort to get minor return. At some point, it is best to move on because no matter what facts you bring up, opinions ain't changing. The Radical Right Wing is strong with their mental gymnastics.

:shock:

Breaking: A member of the US Navy who serves as one of President Donald Trump's personal valets has tested positive for coronavirus, CNN has learned, raising concerns about the President's possible exposure to the virus.-@kaitlancollins reporting

LOL.  Here is verbatim portions of the interview you seem to want to dismiss.  

Question:  "So doctor Fauci, it's Saturday morning in America, people are waking up with real concerns about this.  They want to go to malls and movies, maybe the gym as well.  Should we be changing our habits, and if so, how?"

Fauci: "No, right now, at this moment there is no need change what you're doing on a day by day basis.  Right now the risk is still low.  But this could change.  I've said that many times, even on this program.  You gotta watch out because even if the risk is low now you don't need to change anything you're doing.  When you start to see community spread, this could change and force you to become more attentive to doing things that would protect you from spread."

Question: "Dr. Fauci, quickly, how does this all end?"

Fauci: "You know it ends, it depends on the nature of the outbreak.  I mean this could be a major outbreak, I hope not.  Or it could be something that is reasonably well controlled.  At the end of the day this will ultimately go down.  Hopefully we can protect the American public from any serious degree of morbidity and mortality.  That's why we have to do the things we have in our plan."

This is maybe the foremost leader in infectious disease, speaking on February 29th.  A man advising Trump on what actions to take.  But Trump sucks.  I get it.  These boards are a liberal echo chamber.

You claimed that Fauci said lack of community spread, while Fauci actually said "beginnings of community spread". You misrepresented Fauci's words.

The Wuhan whistleblower doctor was the end of january.  He died on Feb 7.  It was a major news story.  Anyone paying attention should have been worried.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not clear at all.  Most people have abysmal reading comprehension.  We need to make this #### really simple for people.

Eg:

Group 1:  you are under age 55 and have none of the following conditions (diabetes, hypertension, etc).  Go back to living your daily life — but please wear a mask in crowds and learn how to wash your damn hands.

Group 2:   You are under age 55 but have 1-2 conditions (diabetes, hypertension, etc).  Stay quarantined if possible, etc.

Group 3:  you are  55-70 with 3 or more conditions (diabetes, etc).   Stay quarantined.  Leave the house only as necessary.

Group 4:  you are over 70 or (insert criteria).  Don’t leave home, don’t let anyone in your home, avoid all human contact.

That is how simple we need to make this for people.  I haven’t seen anything like that yet.
Going the herd immunity route without universal healthcare is going to be a complete disaster.  Also, how do we financially support high-risk individuals and their families?

Sometimes, you have to know when to fold em. You're giving too much effort to get minor return. At some point, it is best to move on because no matter what facts you bring up, opinions ain't changing. The Radical Right Wing is strong with their mental gymnastics.
The law of diminishing returns has become a guiding beacon for me around here.   

The Wuhan whistleblower doctor was the end of january.  He died on Feb 7.  It was a major news story.  Anyone paying attention should have been worried.
A few of us were.  Most people weren't.  The ones that freaked out about it too much were laughed at and scoffed at.  I had good friends that I could barely talk to about coronavirus because they assumed I was a conspiracy theorist for even bringing it up.  One of my best friends directly told me he wanted nothing to do with any coronavirus discussions with me in early Feb.  Today we are building a TN spreadsheet on coronavirus cases to track things.

Thigns change.  But the coronavirus wasn't a major story in late Jan/early Feb.  If you don't believe me, go read through the thread on the other site.  @Mr Ham was discussing the whistleblower, but not too many others were.

States have far more control over re-opening than federal.

Progressive Democratic Governor Jared Polis went against science-based CDC and federal guidelines to re-open Colorado three days ago. 

You people want to spend equal time spewing useless vitriol in his direction?

Progressive Democratic Governor Jared Polis went against science-based CDC and federal guidelines to re-open Colorado three days ago. 

Colorado has not re-opened. You're misrepresenting what they did. Before you throw out phrases like "useless vitriol", it would help if you had the story straight.

(Some businesses allowed to open at reduced capacity or pickup-only. Bars and restaurants still closed.)

It is true that Colorado has not met federal guidelines for reopening. Most states haven't.

Yes...anyone going against guidelines to open up, IMO, is in the wrong.  Being that I don't live in Colorado though, I don't have much control over what their government does...he isn't my governor. I have my own complaints about leadership here in TN.

Trump, however, is President of this country...and people will take the lead from him on many things.  Its a dangerous position for POTUS to be taking and it sets an example for the public.

So yeah...Trump will get vitriol more than a governor of a state I don't live in.

A few of us were.  Most people weren't.  The ones that freaked out about it too much were laughed at and scoffed at.  I had good friends that I could barely talk to about coronavirus because they assumed I was a conspiracy theorist for even bringing it up.  One of my best friends directly told me he wanted nothing to do with any coronavirus discussions with me in early Feb.  Today we are building a TN spreadsheet on coronavirus cases to track things.

Thigns change.  But the coronavirus wasn't a major story in late Jan/early Feb.  If you don't believe me, go read through the thread on the other site.  @Mr Ham was discussing the whistleblower, but not too many others were.
"A few of us were".  🤣

I don't think anyone forgot that coronavius was a non story in January and February. If it had been a big story, that outbreak that hit Nevada in January wouldn't have been dismissed as a non story because it was presumed to be the flu. If you were among the "a few of us" who were worried and dialed in on this way back in early February, what did you think the virus was doing - floating around in the atmosphere, biding it's time to come down and strike us? After all, you were the biggest denier on this site that the virus was here earlier than the original CDC timeline.

"One of my best friends directly told me he wanted nothing to do with any coronavirus discussions with me in early Feb."  🤔

Was that the same friend who told you he believed there were boatloads of asymptomatic cases and to which you told him your favorite two words: "You're wrong"?

Your revised version of events doesn't add up. You now claim to be among those who knew this was a serious issue back in early February, all the while you proceeded to tell anyone here who pointed to it's early presence in that weeks that followed that they were wrong.

yes

Yes...anyone going against guidelines to open up, IMO, is in the wrong.  Being that I don't live in Colorado though, I don't have much control over what their government does...he isn't my governor. I have my own complaints about leadership here in TN.

Trump, however, is President of this country...and people will take the lead from him on many things.  Its a dangerous position for POTUS to be taking and it sets an example for the public.

So yeah...Trump will get vitriol more than a governor of a state I don't live in.
Agreed. Good points. I actually live in CO and generally support Gov. Polis' actions.

My main point is that it is reasonable to make executive decisions that go against the CDC's official guidelines. That alone shouldn't trigger another round of Trump-bashing that obfuscates the complexity of the issue.

And in the least surprising thing I read all day:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-administration-shelves-cdc-guide-to-reopening-country-ap-2020-05-07?mod=home-page

Why listen to experts when we could take advice from someone who knows everything thanks to a real estate background?
It’s not that he won’t listen to experts. It’s that he doesn’t want the responsibility of having done so. 

One of the biggest mistakes that Trump critics have made, I believe, is expressing the fear that this guy would be a dictator if he could. It’s turned out to be a false assumption. Trump admires dictators, but he doesn’t want to be one because he doesn’t want to take charge. He’s terrified of the responsibility. He enjoys being President so long as he gets to play at being President: all the trappings, the speeches, the ceremonies, etc. He wants to be re-elected because it’s crucial to his ego. But he doesn’t want any of the real responsibilities that come with the job. 

Yup.  We flew out of the country on Feb 7th for vacation.  Brought sanitizer wipes on the plane. Wiped down everything.  People looked at us like we were crazy.   Maybe 5-10% of people knew why we were doing it.  We talked about the Wuhan doctor dying from CV and wondered aloud if the Chinese govt killed him.  By Feb 7th, it seemed like we were pushing the limits by traveling out of the country.

Then again, if not for FBG and this thread, we might not have been so aware/paranoid at that point.  My parents thought I was insane on March 3rd for skipping a visit with them “to protect them from COVID.”  They live in WI and barely see anybody.  I was at work events with people from France and Italy the week beforehand.

Good times.

It was more a response to the idea we need to shift our strategy to infecting as many "low risk" people as possible.
Ok.  My post was literally just replying to the idea that people have all the info they need to make decisions about what risk category they fall into.  It wasn’t me lobbying for a shift to infecting low risk people.  As mentioned many times on this board, I’m keeping my family quarantined as long as possible.

Trump admires dictators, but he doesn’t want to be one because he doesn’t want to take charge. He’s terrified of the responsibility.
You’re making false assumptions about Trump’s mindset (yes he deplores accountability, no he doesn’t associate responsibility with power, they’re disconnected) and how dictators work (good lord the corruption and avoidance of responsibility are arguably the primary aims of authoritarianism).

Ok.  My post was literally just replying to the idea that people have all the info they need to make decisions about what risk category they fall into.  It wasn’t me lobbying for a shift to infecting low risk people.  As mentioned many times on this board, I’m keeping my family quarantined as long as possible.
Yes, I understood that.  Was just thinking outloud.  Sorry for any confusion.

Question:  "So doctor Fauci, it's Saturday morning in America, people are waking up with real concerns about this.  They want to go to malls and movies, maybe the gym as well.  Should we be changing our habits, and if so, how?"

Fauci: "No, right now, at this moment there is no need change what you're doing on a day by day basis.  Right now the risk is still low.  But this could change.  I've said that many times, even on this program.  You gotta watch out because even if the risk is low now you don't need to change anything you're doing.  When you start to see community spread, this could change and force you to become more attentive to doing things that would protect you from spread."

Question: "Dr. Fauci, quickly, how does this all end?"

Fauci: "You know it ends, it depends on the nature of the outbreak.  I mean this could be a major outbreak, I hope not.  Or it could be something that is reasonably well controlled.  At the end of the day this will ultimately go down.  Hopefully we can protect the American public from any serious degree of morbidity and mortality.  That's why we have to do the things we have in our plan."

This is maybe the foremost leader in infectious disease, speaking on February 29th.  A man advising Trump on what actions to take.  But Trump sucks.  I get it.  These boards are a liberal echo chamber.
looks like he was basing his statements on established facts.  Maybe we should have been presenting him with better facts at the time - i.e. testing.  IIRC, in late Feb we were (are) burying our heads in the sand.

Colorado has not re-opened. You're misrepresenting what they did. Before you throw out phrases like "useless vitriol", it would help if you had the story straight.

(Some businesses allowed to open at reduced capacity or pickup-only. Bars and restaurants still closed.)

It is true that Colorado has not met federal guidelines for reopening. Most states haven't.
I don't think a single state has.  We live in this strange paradox where we have guidelines set by a group of people who is cheering on others not following the guidelines they themselves set.  And we have people here who were supposedly concerned with states not following orders for opening weeks ago, now virtually silent on the states not following the orders.  We want to talk about faux outrage?  Start there :lol:   It's all so so stupid.

Agreed. Good points. I actually live in CO and generally support Gov. Polis' actions.

My main point is that it is reasonable to make executive decisions that go against the CDC's official guidelines. That alone shouldn't trigger another round of Trump-bashing that obfuscates the complexity of the issue.
Also in Colorado. Governor is pretty much letting citites and counties handle how they want to reopen. Denver and Boulder have stayed closed. Starting Saturday Boulder county with require everyone to wear mask in public. 

You claimed that Fauci said lack of community spread, while Fauci actually said "beginnings of community spread". You misrepresented Fauci's words.
I put emphasis on Fauci's comments.

How exactly did I misrepresent his words?

Also in Colorado. Governor is pretty much letting citites and counties handle how they want to reopen. Denver and Boulder have stayed closed. Starting Saturday Boulder county with require everyone to wear mask in public. 
Exactly. And beyond that Weld County has completely rejected the governor's directives and has allowed basically full re-opening.

States, localities, organizations and single individuals of all political stripes are the ones issuing/enforcing their own specific guidelines based on synthesis of all information available.

Trump's rhetoric is just one data point but you wouldn't think that from these threads. Most just take it for what it is and move on to their own best judgment.

Exactly. And beyond that Weld County has completely rejected the governor's directives and has allowed basically full re-opening.

States, localities, organizations and single individuals of all political stripes are the ones issuing/enforcing their own specific guidelines based on synthesis of all information available.

Trump's rhetoric is just one data point but you wouldn't think that from these threads. Most just take it for what it is and move on to their own best judgment.
Are bars and restaurants reopened in Weld County? I live in Boulder county but work in Weld county haven't been paying attention to that.

Are bars and restaurants reopened in Weld County? I live in Boulder county but work in Weld county haven't been paying attention to that.
Weld County basically gave the middle finger to the governor and said we will do what we want. Then gave the green light to all businesses to open who wanted. Or stay closed. Pretty much just issued some county guidelines then the rest laissez faire.

“Weld County is not opening any businesses, just like we didn’t close any businesses,” Freeman said in an interview with The Optimist. “Constituents are going to open businesses anyway. We felt it was in the best interest of Weld to issue guidelines to help keep consumers, employees and business owners safe.”

https://coloradosun.com/2020/04/30/weld-county-reopening-county-commissioners-warning/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread