What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, way to cherry pick 2 of the 4 deadliest countries. :lol:

But Sweden did quite a bit worse than France (20% more deaths per capita).
Wait...You cherry picked three countries and then criticized me for cherry picking?

And spare me the I just chose the nordic countries because all nordic countries are the same bit.

I bet you can find posts from me on this very board arguing that Sweden is actually fairly different in some of ways from its nordic neighbors from well before Sweden became a political hot potato. Check the finland/happiness index thread. 

And again, let's check again in December. Since as I already clearly stated, this game isnt over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we've seen cases where a guy will die in a car accident and get labelled a corona death too.

Heck I tried to use CDC numbers here a week ago and was told they are way off.  I guess it's find whatever numbers to fit a narrative?
Not for me. 
For me the key question is hospital stays. If the hospitals in your city or state are filling up, if doctors and nurses are telling you they are exhausted because they’re seeing COVID patients left and right and it’s filling up the beds and ICU wings, you’ve got a real problem. It seems like most states right now have a real problem. Mine certainly does. 

Hey, way to cherry pick 2 of the 4 deadliest countries. :lol:

But Sweden did quite a bit worse than France (20% more deaths per capita).
Wait...You cherry picked three countries and then criticized me for cherry picking?

And spare me the I just chose the nordic countries because all nordic countries are the same bit.
Feel free to pick any 3 countries at random. Chances are, Sweden's death rate will be significantly worse. That's because it's worse than all but 4 countries in the entire world.

"Spare me the I just chose the 3 closest countries to it" bit! :lmao:

"Spare me the I just provided relevant facts to completely destroy your point" bit! :lmao:

Feel free to pick any 3 countries at random. Chances are, Sweden's death rate will be significantly worse. That's because it's worse than all but 4 countries in the entire world.

Sweden's rate should be higher...now. 

That's the way it would work, if they are correct. 

Sweden's rate should be higher...now. 

That's the way it would work, if they are correct. 
Sweden's current death rate is higher than countries that locked down. Come on, guy.

The fact that Sweden's current death rate is better than America's is nothing to brag about.

When asked about the safety in returning to school in the fall Trump is saying that children and young people don’t spread the virus (or he said “people have said this”). I am guessing this is BS but I have honestly stopped following the day to day research findings.

Anyone have info on this?

When asked about the safety in returning to school in the fall Trump is saying that children and young people don’t spread the virus (or he said “people have said this”). I am guessing this is BS but I have honestly stopped following the day to day research findings.

School Children Don’t Spread Coronavirus, French Study Shows

So i guess technically he didnt lie? Mark it down!

(I didnt read it, just saw the headline)

School Children Don’t Spread Coronavirus, French Study Shows

So i guess technically he didnt lie? Mark it down!

(I didnt read it, just saw the headline)
In the heated debate over reopening schools, one burning question has been whether and how efficiently children can spread the virus to others.

A large new study from South Korea offers an answer: Children younger than 10 transmit to others much less often than adults do, but the risk is not zero. And those between the ages of 10 and 19 can spread the virus at least as well as adults do.

The findings suggest that as schools reopen, communities will see clusters of infection take root that include children of all ages, several experts cautioned.

:shrug:

BREAKING - Indiana declares #COVID19 masks mandatory in public for anyone older than 8-years; refusing results in a Class B misdemeanor charge.

:popcorn:

This should go over well.

I mean it’s good that he’s finally telling people to wear masks, sadly a few months late. 3 months until the election? Botched this one too bad and trying to turn it around too late, sorry guy.

BREAKING - Indiana declares #COVID19 masks mandatory in public for anyone older than 8-years; refusing results in a Class B misdemeanor charge.

:popcorn:

This should go over well.
Just checked my hometown’s newspaper feed on FB. The comments were about what you’d expect.  

I mean it’s good that he’s finally telling people to wear masks, sadly a few months late. 3 months until the election? Botched this one too bad and trying to turn it around too late, sorry guy.
As terrible as thats been, it ranks third among Trump’s horrific decisions IMO. In this order: 

1. His refusal to federalize the production and distribution of PPE. 
2. His refusal to ask for a national stay in place, his declaration that the crisis was over and his insistence on states opening too soon. 
3. The mask thing.  

Jan. 22, 2020:  “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

Exactly 6 months later:

July 22, 2020: Trump responding to whether there will be a mask order at federal properties, including the White House.

“We’re gonna make a decision over the next 24 hours."

Any guess on where the land on the unemployment extension? 

With so many surges in swing states, it's hard to imagine some form of extension won't get worked out.

A politician can think this whole thing is overblown all they want, but stopping those benefits is a major gamble from a health and economic standpoint. 

And if they are are stopped without something really effective to replace, it's a clear indication our government has completely given up on slowing the spread of this virus. 

With so many surges in swing states, it's hard to imagine some form of extension won't get worked out.

A politician can think this whole thing is overblown all they want, but stopping those benefits is a major gamble from a health and economic standpoint. 

And if they are are stopped without something really effective to replace, it's a clear indication our government has completely given up on slowing the spread of this virus. 
I don’t see republicans keeping up the unemployment payments. Probably the first week of August before anything passes and who knows how long after that for people to get the money as far as another stimulus check. 

It’s mind boggling that republicans don’t want to extend unemployment benefits, but want no liability for companies if their employees get sick. A “back to work” bonus doesn’t help if there’s no jobs. I would hope that there is money allotted to schools to help them put whatever plan they think is correct into action. I would hope that we find a way to keep the US postal service operating. 

Sounds like it’s going to get extended but not at the previous $600 a week extra. Sounds like 70% wage replacement.

I think it's probably much more accurate to say they aren't consistent spreaders of the virus.  They do spread it, but not nearly at the rates as grown adults.  

This will be interesting to watch...unemployment exceeded projections at 1.4M new cases.  I think the projection was around 1.1 or so?

Biden wins and the republicans will stonewall any further relief legislation. Country be damned, deaths be damned. Just as sure as the sun rises in the east. Better get whatever we can now. 

Blow up the philibuster.  

My city moved to a state of emergency this week. I cant figure out for the life of me why, but what was more interesting was that they also proposed that the city draft a letter to the county proposing a mask mandate.

So not actually a mask mandate in our city, just a letter to the county.

People freaked out. About 100 people showed up to speak out against it. Not one person showed up to speak for it. Well in order to speak you had to wait in the lobby since they were only letting 10 people in the council meeting room because of social distancing guidelines. They let the other 90 stand shoulder to shoulder in the lobby with no masks. 

Apparently several people showed up to speak in favor but immediately left when told they would have to wait in the lobby. 

I watched the recording last night and it was hilarious. Ben Franklin, Hamilton, Madison, Henry, CO2, Tyranny. Quality stuff. 

It was shot down 10-4 

My city moved to a state of emergency this week. I cant figure out for the life of me why, but what was more interesting was that they also proposed that the city draft a letter to the county proposing a mask mandate.

So not actually a mask mandate in our city, just a letter to the county.

People freaked out. About 100 people showed up to speak out against it. Not one person showed up to speak for it. Well in order to speak you had to wait in the lobby since they were only letting 10 people in the council meeting room because of social distancing guidelines. They let the other 90 stand shoulder to shoulder in the lobby with no masks

Apparently several people showed up to speak in favor but immediately left when told they would have to wait in the lobby. 

I watched the recording last night and it was hilarious. Ben Franklin, Hamilton, Madison, Henry, CO2, Tyranny. Quality stuff. 

It was shot down 10-4 
So dumb

I just heard that the RNC canceled the convention in Jacksonville.  Absolutely nothing to worry about though.  If you're a commoner.  Rich & powerful people have a lot to lose though.

The Gator said:
Just to clear up any lingering confusion:

@NorahODonnell: “To be clear, do you want a vaccine so that you can implant microchips into people?”

Bill Gates: “No…I don't know where that came from.”
He could have broke the internet if he said of course it's true.

Jackstraw said:
Biden wins and the republicans will stonewall any further relief legislation. Country be damned, deaths be damned. Just as sure as the sun rises in the east. Better get whatever we can now. 

Blow up the philibuster.  
Do what the R's do... remove the filibusterer and then when you are about to lose power (if ever), put it back in. 

Hello Wisconsin! Hello North Carolina! Hello Haters!

I'm kidding, that is pure fascism.

Republicans waiting until next week to unveil their stimulus bill. Take your time boys. Why rush, might as well ease yourselves back into things after your vacation.

98 days to get to 1 MILLION
43 days to get to 2 MILLION
28 days to get to 3 MILLION
15 days to get to 4 MILLION

I am sure it will all be cleared up by Easter.

Trump sounds like a completely different person this past week. I guess his advisors finally convinced him he was gonna get slaughtered in the election if he kept ignoring the pandemic.

I did chart follow up on all the patients I saw with Covid in the last 3 weeks that I took care of in the ER and five are already dead and three more on vents and likely gonna die. Meanwhile a buddy who works ER in Vancouver Canada said he hasn’t seen a  single Covid patient in he last.three weeks and there isn’t any patient in the entire province in the ICU with Covid.  I didn’t 100% believe him so I did some internet research and there is a grand total of .....3.... in the entire province of British Columbia  

We have more than 3 Covid icu holds in my ER right now and there are 15 other hospitals in town.  The American governments and (some) peoples response to this pandemic might be the single biggest avoidable disaster in history.  The thought of Trumps months of denial and minimizing and anti-mask idiocy and hydroxychloroquine-miracle humping and pressuring states to open to help his own re-election just fills me with rage.  

Do what the R's do... remove the filibusterer and then when you are about to lose power (if ever), put it back in. 

Hello Wisconsin! Hello North Carolina! Hello Haters!

I'm kidding, that is pure fascism.
I think the removing the filibuster will promote less partisanship. You got grand ideas and both houses and the presidency? Do that stuff and live with the consequences. The filibuster is like the fence between two dogs. Bark their heads off. Open the gate? All of a sudden they figure it out. Let’s take the shackles off this gubt and hash it out. 

I think the removing the filibuster will promote less partisanship. You got grand ideas and both houses and the presidency? Do that stuff and live with the consequences. The filibuster is like the fence between two dogs. Bark their heads off. Open the gate? All of a sudden they figure it out. Let’s take the shackles off this gubt and hash it out. 
Isn't that essentially what happens in parliamentary systems? You got the seats -> form a government -> pass legislation.  They caveat being that more than likely, you'll not have an outright majority with a single party, but have to form a coalition with another party, which will temper some ability to pass sweeping legislation, or at least large scale change without broad support of the populace.

The minority parties have little ability to limit the majority's power, unless they can get some in that ruling coalition to abstain or cross over.

Here is a question for the group:

In the spring, we talked about the coronavirus as a potentially seasonal thing.  There was speculation about it dying off in the heat of the summer, but then coming back in the fall/winter.

Obviously, the summer heat does not seem to have much effect - which is bad news.  But, wouldn't that also reduce the chances of it coming back stronger in the fall?  I assume there is something about influenza that causes that virus to go dormant in the warmer months, and re-vitalize in the colder months.  If that is not a condition of coronavirus - that would seem to be a good thing - once an effective vaccine is found.

Isn't that essentially what happens in parliamentary systems? You got the seats -> form a government -> pass legislation.  They caveat being that more than likely, you'll not have an outright majority with a single party, but have to form a coalition with another party, which will temper some ability to pass sweeping legislation, or at least large scale change without broad support of the populace.
I'm not too hip to all that. I hear about coalitions and so forth on British/Israeli politics but I can't speak to it with any decent knowledge. 

Here is a question for the group:

In the spring, we talked about the coronavirus as a potentially seasonal thing.  There was speculation about it dying off in the heat of the summer, but then coming back in the fall/winter.

Obviously, the summer heat does not seem to have much effect - which is bad news.  But, wouldn't that also reduce the chances of it coming back stronger in the fall?  I assume there is something about influenza that causes that virus to go dormant in the warmer months, and re-vitalize in the colder months.  If that is not a condition of coronavirus - that would seem to be a good thing - once an effective vaccine is found.
The downside from what I know about the virus is that colder weather would lead to more gatherings indoors which are decidedly more sketchy. Combined with school/holidays and higher rates of infection going in, doesn't seem encouraging.    

Increased awareness and mask use is a possible mitigating factor. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread