What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, I agree that every american has the right to make a calculated decision about their personal risk of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis from a novel vaccine based upon their own extensive knowledge of the science involved and that the FDA  should have no input
This post wins the day!

Is it possible that the government felt comfortable pausing J&J because it knew that pretty soon we’ll have a sufficient supply of the other vaccines to meet all demand in this country?  I think I agree with @IvanKaramazov that this was a mistake from a risk/benefit analysis, but that calculus changes a lot if this will only have a modest impact on the pace of vaccinations in the U.S.  As best as I can tell lack of supply is not slowing down the pace of vaccinations right now in most areas.
It seems like a mistake from a risk-benefit analysis and also a mistake from a vaccine-hesitancy standpoint (which affects the pace of vaccination). "The government says covid vaccines are dangerous" is going to be the take-home message for many.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible that the government felt comfortable pausing J&J because it knew that pretty soon we’ll have a sufficient supply of the other vaccines to meet all demand in this country?  I think I agree with @IvanKaramazov that this was a mistake from a risk/benefit analysis, but that calculus changes a lot if this will only have a modest impact on the pace of vaccinations in the U.S.  As best as I can tell lack of supply is not slowing down the pace of vaccinations right now in most areas.
Then why even approve it? 

The ethical implications of pausing the J&J to complete an investigation are different since there are 2 other approved vaccines.  I bet it wouldn't be paused if these others didn't exist. 

Because the risk wasn't known at that time.  Might not have been approved if this risk was quantified.

And BTW, I'd bet $ that the J&J srarts going back into arms sooner rather than later. 
If it didnt affect supply then the efficacy numbers being lower alone should have led to not approving it. 

(It obviously affects supply)

7-10 day pause and then reconvene was the ACIP decision today.

If it didnt affect supply then the efficacy numbers being lower alone should have led to not approving it. 

It was originally approved back in February, a lot has changed since then.  Today we have states like Alabama and Mississippi that have only used around 60% of the shots they’ve received because thousands of available appointments are going unfilled.  There’s still a high demand in some states but I’m not sure the extent to which Moderna and Pfizer are able to meet that demand and for how long demand will continue to be  greater than supply in those areas.

I would take my chances with a one-in-million blood clot chance versus covid and I would consider it a no-brainer.  If somebody else feels otherwise, fine.  I've argued elsewhere that I support the right of people not to get vaccinated if that's what they choose to do.

I took the Moderna shot knowing perfectly well that there was an extremely remote chance that I might have an allergic reaction to it.  Same with my annual flu shot.  It's fine. That's an easy tradeoff.

Actually, my son got the J&J shot last week.  When I saw that people were getting their appointments cancelled today, my reaction was "Thank God he got his shot when he did and didn't put it off."
As Growler said - the option isn’t J&J or Covid - its J&J or one of the other two vaccines vs. Covid.  I waited a year to get a vaccine, I wouldn’t mind waiting another month to get one of the other two versus J&J given current information.

The initial goal for vaccine approval was 50%, Pfizer and Moderna blew that out of the water. Having that 3rd one dose vaccine was important for getting close to herd immunity. There’s a lot of people who only wanted J&J and it hasn’t been easy to find. Those people might be lost causes at this point but approving it was the right move. Time will tell if this pause was the right call but chances are it will have far reaching consequences.

Allowing adults to make educated decisions is one thing and I do agree with that but the question becomes if we have enough information to consider it an informed decision. 1 in a million is one thing but if it turns out to be 1 in a thousand or 1 in a hundred, that’s certainly a different consideration to make. Whatever the case, the damage is done and it’s a huge setback.

As Growler said - the option isn’t J&J or Covid - its J&J or one of the other two vaccines vs. Covid.  I waited a year to get a vaccine, I wouldn’t mind waiting another month to get one of the other two versus J&J given current information.
If that's the decision you choose to make for yourself, fine.  It's your life and the decision should be yours.

Now return the courtesy.

If that's the decision you choose to make for yourself, fine.  It's your life and the decision should be yours.

Now return the courtesy.
EUA regulatory frameworks don't really work that way though.  I bet there are some triggers for automatic review due to unexpected adverse effects.

It may seem like a 1 in a million thing right now and not statistically significant (cuz it's not from what we know right now), but that could change once a more thorough investigation is complete.

The pause is certainly justified and it may end up causing more damage than continuing, but there are 2 other vaccines on EUA that are available.  It is also a choice to forego those vaccines even though no severe adverse effects have been noted despite over 100 million doses administered. 

A few questions for @IvanKaramazov and the group, what should the threshold be to trigger an deep investigation? Should that threshold be different than putting a pause on administering the vaccine?  What if the news comes out that they are investigating, but not pausing? Would that be worse for vaccine hesitancy?

I'm not saying this pause was or wasn't the right call, but I don't think it's 100% clear right now. 

Now return the courtesy.
I have no issue with that - I'm very "libertarian" with most things - I just think in this case with other good options I'm ok if they pause just to be safe.  Or, at the very least, be very explicit with the warnings around clotting and as you say let folks choose.  I guess my bigger point is - I would have no clue how to choose in that situation as it feels like there's not enough information and most importantly, I have no clue how to evaluate this.  Hypothetically, if I wasn't already vaccinated and this news came out but they didn't pause, it would definitely make me consider the 2-dose over J&J. 

A few questions for @IvanKaramazov and the group, what should the threshold be to trigger an deep investigation?
I'm all for investigating all sorts of things.  It's good that people are tracking vaccine efficacy and side effects.

Should that threshold be different than putting a pause on administering the vaccine? 
Of course.  It's good to know if a vaccine -- or any drug or medical treatment of any kind -- has certain side effects.  How else are people supposed to make informed decisions about whether to accept the treatment or not?  Information is good. 

The decision to step in front of a rational adult and deny them medical treatment is a qualitatively different issue.  All sorts of things have tail risks associated with them.  We rightly trust people to weigh those risks and decide for themselves whether the benefits outweigh the costs.  

To put it a little differently, let's just say for the sake of argument that the blood clot issue is real.  If I came in here and said that I'm refusing vaccination on the grounds that there is a one-in-one-million chance that I might develop a blood clot, every single one of you would say that I was overreacting to a miniscule threat.  The average person's risk of dying from covid is about four orders of magnitude, or ten thousand times, greater than their risk of dying from a vaccine-induced blood clot.  (This ignores for simplicity the fact that both risks vary predictably across the population).  The average person would be a little nuts to accept a 1-in-700 risk of death to avoid a 1-in-7,000,000 risk of death.  And yet that's the risk that the FDA is inflicting on people involuntarily.   

I'm okay with letting people make dumb decisions on their own.  I'm really very strongly not okay with having a dumb decision imposed upon me by a third party.

What if the news comes out that they are investigating, but not pausing? Would that be worse for vaccine hesitancy?
I would have no problem with this whatsoever.  

And yet that's the risk that the FDA is inflicting on people involuntarily.   
Not exactly, as there are other options on the table as outlined above.  The probability is therefore how many people would become infected by covid and suffer severe outcomes that otherwise would have gotten the J&J vaccine and no other vaccine.  So it's not a 1 in 700 risk of death.  I don't know what that number that is but it's not 1/700.

I would have no problem with this whatsoever.  
You might not, but it conceivably could have a worse effect on hesitancy than a pause to investigate. 

Finally, there's the facts of information asymmetry between the lay person and the regulatory bodies.  Individuals often don't grasp risk evaluation, statistics, underlying and contributing health issues, etc.  I would have to do a massive amount of study to make a truly informed decision like this.  For these reasons and others, we and almost every other country have decided to appoint experts to make these calls on a population level.  Sure this limits liberty and they make bad calls, but the alternative could be much more dangerous. 

This pause corresponds with the manufacturing snafu right?  I know our state is getting significantly less J&J vaccine the next couple weeks already (if any).  What does this "pause" really add on top of that?  Anyone know?

That first thread doesnt seem very helpful to me. 

Some have criticized the FDA and CDC for recommending a pause on use of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine in the United States. To be clear: the FDA didn’t revoke its emergency use authorization for the J&J vaccine. It didn’t take the vaccine off the market. And healthcare providers are still free to administer the Johnson and Johnson vaccine after discussing the potential risks and benefits with their patients.
That just adds more confusion. Is it paused or not? 

22/ The CDC and FDA may conclude that the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is indeed safe and effective and may recommend lifting the current pause.
If it can still be given it shouldn't be called a pause.

If it is paused, she shouldnt be saying it isnt a pause. 

That first thread doesnt seem very helpful to me. 

That just adds more confusion. Is it paused or not? 

If it can still be given it shouldn't be called a pause.

If it is paused, she shouldnt be saying it isnt a pause. 
I don't know enough to say, but her credentials indicate she should know what she's talking about. 

Now if it's up to the individual provider and the FDA is recommending a pause, then they are most likely going to pause, if only for the liability reasons.  The vaccine doesn't treat any disease, just lessens the impact when one does come into contact with the virus.  It's not a drug. 

These things did make us safer
40,000 dead and we shut the economy down to save lives, masks to save lives, all of that to "save lives"

everything started reopening in 3 months and we added 400-450,000 more dead and tens of millions positive

that's not saving lives

oh, people can say we'd have lost more ... but that's guessing, that's not factual. I could think we'd have lost LESS by not having any of that, but that's my guessing too

what we know is we have 500,000 more dead and 20 million more positives with what we were told would make us "safe"

false sense of security given to people

like the lockdowns, the 50% capacity laws, masks etc ............. its all about getting people to feel like they're safe
This doesnt make any sense. But it really doesnt make any sense in the context of what we are talking about. 

If the goal was false sense of security (which is such a dumb concept) then pausing it would be the exact opposite way to achieve such a thing. 

Extremely worthwhile rant by the guy who's been uncannily right about covid-related things from the beginning:

https://thezvi.wordpress.com/2021/04/15/covid-4-15-are-we-seriously-doing-this-again/

The good news: "As furious as I am at the J&J suspension, and as many people as it’s going to kill (most of which will be from disadvantaged groups and areas, which J&J’s one shot at room temperature made much easier to reach), it is important not to lose perspective. J&J was a small portion of our vaccine effort, and case growth is not that rapid, so it’s not going to kill hundreds of thousands of people, at least not in America. If we’re lucky, it will only kill thousands."

This doesnt make any sense. But it really doesnt make any sense in the context of what we are talking about. 

If the goal was false sense of security (which is such a dumb concept) then pausing it would be the exact opposite way to achieve such a thing. 
people desperately want to hear that there is a plan where we all make it out alive

the Govt said we'll shutdown, limit, mask wear, vaccinate ..... that's giving people hope and security 

but I suspect the Govt knew all along they'd not stop a virus by wearing old cloth masks and making people stay at home

what we DO know is that 10X more people died after the shutdown and during the mask wearing than before them - no way to escape those facts

Are people (NOT on this board) aware that they're lucky enough to be dragged along with the rest of us who are trying their damndest to get out of this pandemic despite them being difficult, stubborn and selfish with their attitudes and behaviors? Or is there no self-awareness of that at all? I wonder if people do this knowingly and don't care, or really just don't understand the concepts. It's frustrating. 

Man, you're right. 

Just like lots more people died of skin cancer after the development of sunscreen.

Cause --> Effect

Couldn't be simpler. 
sun isn't a virus

people aren't required to wear sunblock 

nothing was shutdown because of the sun saying it'd make things better

Are people (NOT on this board) aware that they're lucky enough to be dragged along with the rest of us who are trying their damndest to get out of this pandemic despite them being difficult, stubborn and selfish with their attitudes and behaviors? Or is there no self-awareness of that at all? I wonder if people do this knowingly and don't care, or really just don't understand the concepts. It's frustrating. 
Someone else's mom is a small price to pay for freedom.

40,000 dead and we shut the economy down to save lives, masks to save lives, all of that to "save lives"

everything started reopening in 3 months and we added 400-450,000 more dead and tens of millions positive

that's not saving lives

oh, people can say we'd have lost more ... but that's guessing, that's not factual. I could think we'd have lost LESS by not having any of that, but that's my guessing too

what we know is we have 500,000 more dead and 20 million more positives with what we were told would make us "safe"
I think i found the fault in your logic.

I recently saw a guy wearing a mask that said, "worn by law, not by fear".  This really got me thinking..

1. it implies that there are only two reasons to wear a mask.  Somehow empathy didn't cross this guys thought pattern - IMO we should wear a mask to protect others more than protecting ourselves.  If asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic spread are a thing, or if you think your congestion is because of allergies, it's possible that you could be infected, not know it, and spread to someone else.  That's not wearing a mask out of fear, it's wearing a mask to protect others.

2. it implies a severe lack of thought for the greater good.  Forget about spreading to someone else, the virus itself doesn't die as long as it can still transmit.  The sooner we stop the spread, the sooner we are over this ####.  Masks help with that.  Not wearing a mask out of "muh freedom" is extremely selfish.

3. folks on the right like to whine about virtue signaling.  This is a shining example of some guy proclaiming to the world that he values his personal freedom - talk about your virtue signaling.

4. I am now 2+ weeks past my second vaccination.  I still wear my mask, even if not required.  I do it because there are people out there who feel anxiety about COVID, and I don't like making people uncomfortable.  It's a common courtesy at this point, but I guess some people can't be bothered with that.

You just can't force people to get injected with stuff.  Geez.  So fire everyone that won't get the vaccine.  Then watch all the old people die because there's not enough workers left to take care of them. 
I know it’s not exactly the same thing, but lots of employers mandate flu shots around here 

4. I am now 2+ weeks past my second vaccination.  I still wear my mask, even if not required.  I do it because there are people out there who feel anxiety about COVID, and I don't like making people uncomfortable.  It's a common courtesy at this point, but I guess some people can't be bothered with that.
I do this too, but I'm only going to keep doing it for a few more weeks.  Once we start having unfilled vaccine appointments and the PR messaging pivots to the vaccine-resistant among us, my mask is coming off.  Unvaccinated people can just deal with it -- that's their choice.  Vaccinated people who are scared to get back on the bike need to get over that too.

I was strongly in favor of masking when there was a compelling public health reason to wear a mask.  I'm not on board with Masks Forever.

I do this too, but I'm only going to keep doing it for a few more weeks.  Once we start having unfilled vaccine appointments and the PR messaging pivots to the vaccine-resistant among us, my mask is coming off.  Unvaccinated people can just deal with it -- that's their choice.  Vaccinated people who are scared to get back on the bike need to get over that too.

I was strongly in favor of masking when there was a compelling public health reason to wear a mask.  I'm not on board with Masks Forever.
I definitely agree.  I give it until the end of May.

I also will be doing this.  get my 2nd shot in another week and then I'll give it 4 weeks after that tops.

Agreed, but I have no clue when that day is when it's safe to go back in the water.  It certainly won't be when some group of Covid/mask/vaccine deniers in the State Legislature pass a state law that forbids local mask ordinances.  

Wearing a mask is such a minor inconvenience at this point that I'm fine with waiting until the scientists tell me it's OK not to.  That could change, however, if the only people I'm protecting is Covid/mask/vaccine deniers, as IMO, they are assuming the risk of their actions.  

I'm now a week past my second Moderna shot. I'm willing to wear masks in businesses that I frequent as long as they maintain the requirement (regardless of local law or mandate). There are some other public indoor spaces that still require masks, and I will follow those rules as well.

Otherwise, the mask is coming off around vaccinated family & friends, and in the office around vaccinated co-workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread