What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I believe that. CDC director herself said yesterday they found the viral load in vaccinated people to be the same as unvaccinated people. Your body does a better job protecting you but it seems the spread is not mitigated. Instead you just have a bunch of people spreading COVID because they think they have mild colds.
... I don't think we're disagreeing here. Wasn't what I wrote in line with the bolded above? That Delta would be almost exclusively subclinical in the U.S. if we had a very high vax rate?

... I don't think we're disagreeing here. Wasn't what I wrote in line with the bolded above? That Delta would be almost exclusively subclinical in the U.S. if we had a very high vax rate?
It would be more so than now but hospitals are never going to come close to being overrun like they were back in the winter because of the # of high risk people currently vaccinated. In other words, media is focusing on case count to instill fear (like usual).

Smaller prizes, but more of them. Select 2,000 people to receive $20,000, rather than four $1 million winners.
The only way we’re going to advance vaccination rate is mandates. Those who continue to say no are dug in deep. A lottery or really any incentive will only cause temporary bumps. It will take an employer, a school or a major activity requiring vaccination for most of the holdouts to change their minds.
I agree.

Anecdotally, it appears that a few large local healthcare companies are moving to required COVID vaccination. Not yet in the news, but well-sourced to me personally.

Apologies if honda. This seemed positive. Dr. Gottlieb: https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1420337062809640960?s=20

“I think we’re further into this Delta wave than we’re picking up, I’ve been saying that for weeks. I think, you know, in another two or three weeks we’ll be through this. This new guidance will have a negligible impact on that. I think much more prudent guidance to people would be that if you are vaccinated in a high prevalence area, in contact with virus, you think you might have the virus because you have mild symptoms of it–be prudent, get tested, maybe wear a mask especially if you are around a vulnerable person. That should be the bottom-line guidance we’re given. CDC, I think, is having a challenge measuring this right now.”

Last edited by a moderator:
In other words, media is focusing on case count to instill fear (like usual).
I don't disagree here, either. Though I think case counts should still be tracked and reported, I think there should also be focus in the media on what a summer 2021 case means compared to a summer 2020 case.

If covid manifests as a mild cold, who cares if it gets spread around?  That doesn't even rise to the level of a minor public health issue, let alone a major one, let alone an emergency.
Agreed 100%. Which is why I am saying the media panic over Delta is way overblown. If you are vaccinated you have nothing to worry about. If you are not that's on you. Why are we going back to masks again?

Graph data ends at July 10th. Cases are known to have spiked in the hotspots states. I don't expect the hospitalizations to spike to the exact same degree, but I don't want to get comfortable yet either. Anecdotes of some local (N.O. suburbs) hospitals using up rooms for COVID patients are making the rounds.
Actually July 17th. But yes there will be hot spots. Thats what Fauci has said since last year. Areas of low vaccination will have hot spots.

I think we’re further into this Delta wave than we’re picking up, I’ve been saying that for weeks. I think, you know, in another two or three weeks we’ll be through this.
I agree with Gottlieb that the Delta spike should be high but relatively short. My only quibble is with his 2-to-3 week time frame to be "through this". I am thinking more 6-to-8 weeks for the entire rise and fall to play out.

I agree with Gottlieb that the Delta spike should be high but relatively short. My only quibble is with his 2-to-3 week time frame to be "through this". I am thinking more 6-to-8 weeks for the entire rise and fall to play out.
Thanks. I'm sorry my notebook is way out of date and I've not been in these threads. What do you do for a living and what is your training? 

I want to see more data on the viral load vaccinated vs unvaccinated. Viral load being just as high in someone who gets a mild cold vs someone will be hospitalized. Maybe as an initial viral load but you would expect that load to grow in the severe illness and quickly decline in a vaccinated person.

School cant happen outside. Its too hot in the Southern states and too cold in the Northern states.
Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.  There are portions of time that this could happen.

At this point what I want to see is the level of death and hospitalization among the vaccinated. We need to live with this thing and for us to clamp down again really needs some extraordinarily poor results among the vaccinated for me to consider following it.

Apologies. This seemed positive. Dr. Gottlieb: https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1420337062809640960?s=20

“I think we’re further into this Delta wave than we’re picking up, I’ve been saying that for weeks. I think, you know, in another two or three weeks we’ll be through this. This new guidance will have a negligible impact on that. I think much more prudent guidance to people would be that if you are vaccinated in a high prevalence area, in contact with virus, you think you might have the virus because you have mild symptoms of it–be prudent, get tested, maybe wear a mask especially if you are around a vulnerable person. That should be the bottom-line guidance we’re given. CDC, I think, is having a challenge measuring this right now.”
He's been spot on for most of this.  Ignore the "he's a big pharma rube" guys, his voice needs to be heard more and more.  It's not all that complicated IMO.  If you are going to be in a place where you don't know vax status of people, wear a mask.  If you're going to be inside with a large group of people for a longer period of time, where a mask and they need to be quality masks.  There are plenty out there now and they don't cost a fortune anymore.  

Yeah 2-3 weeks sounds way too optimistic. That would mean we are already near our case peak and that doesn’t seem likely.

I've been in disaster management, both federal and private consulting, for 15 years. Professional training is in that field, and also in communications and database administration.
Huh...go figure.  I knew there was something I liked about you GB!  That's where I cut my teeth in technology and what kept me busy out of trouble for 12ish years.   :thumbup:  

Yeah 2-3 weeks sounds way too optimistic. That would mean we are already near our case peak and that doesn’t seem likely.
As a country, perhaps.  Not even close to peak here in our state.  Our hospitals in central Florida are at capacity and they are now cancelling non-essential surgeries to make room.

As a country, perhaps.  Not even close to peak here in our state.  Our hospitals in central Florida are at capacity and they are now cancelling non-essential surgeries to make room.
This is a good point to make -- 50 states, a few hundred regions/metro areas, and that many separate spikes staggered in time.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.  There are portions of time that this could happen.

At this point what I want to see is the level of death and hospitalization among the vaccinated. We need to live with this thing and for us to clamp down again really needs some extraordinarily poor results among the vaccinated for me to consider following it.
Agreed.  I was in favor of mask mandates, shutdowns, and stuff like that last year because the situation obviously (IMO) warranted it.  So far, all the data that I've seen strongly argue in favor of letting vaccinated people do their thing.  If Delta or some other variant alters that, I'm willing to change course.  But I would need to see lots of really compelling data making that case, and those data simply don't appear to exist at all right now.

Thanks. I'm sorry my notebook is way out of date and I've not been in these threads. What do you do for a living and what is your training? 
Looking again at your post ... I did want to point out that I wasn't pulling estimated out of the air. I was comparing the U.S.'s current Delta situation and the onset of a spike in cases with what India and the UK went through with Delta. Scroll down to their respective Daily New Cases graphs and note the height and duration of their Delta spikes.

The UK is actually still on the downslope of their Delta spike with current case counts still about 10 times higher than they were in mid-May.

India's high peak with Delta is over with for now, but they're still at a case level over three times what it was in mid-February. With a much lower vaccination rate than the UK and US, India's bout with Delta has been prolonged even as the highest numbers are past.

Thought this was a great fact on breakthrough cases from the Burlington article. While examples exist it is still a small percentage and negative results are very rare. 

About 1.6% of cases of COVID-19 since January 2021 have occurred among fully vaccinated Vermonters, according to the Data Summary. Of those breakthrough cases, 5% have been hospitalized and 2% were fatal. There have been 13 hospitalizations and less than 6 deaths recorded amongst Vermont's breakthrough cases thus far. 

Waiting for the Federal employee vaccine mandate to come out tomorrow.  It's already started plenty of discussions at work and I don't think this ends well. 

Hard to believe people support this. 

Pretty good summary of where we're at with Delta variant

It's my belief that we will continue to see spikes as new, more successful variants come to be and they will absolutely feast on the unvaccinated each time they develop.  With each variant that is allowed to experiment on the human body unabated, it's a matter of time before a variant comes along that will make our vaccines significantly less effective.  This will LIKELY require a variant where the spike protein is altered in a way that makes it unidentifiable to current vaccines.  Until that happens, we can be relatively confident that our current set of vaccines will keep us safe.

I used the analogy before of playing Russian Roulette with a 6 chamber gun or a 100 chamber gun to describe the difference between facing covid with a vaccine or without.  Seems to me like a no brainer decision, but some still want to go with the 6 chamber gun.  That's their choice.

Pretty good summary of where we're at with Delta variant

It's my belief that we will continue to see spikes as new, more successful variants come to be and they will absolutely feast on the unvaccinated each time they develop.  With each variant that is allowed to experiment on the human body unabated, it's a matter of time before a variant comes along that will make our vaccines significantly less effective.  This will LIKELY require a variant where the spike protein is altered in a way that makes it unidentifiable to current vaccines.  Until that happens, we can be relatively confident that our current set of vaccines will keep us safe.

I used the analogy before of playing Russian Roulette with a 6 chamber gun or a 100 chamber gun to describe the difference between facing covid with a vaccine or without.  Seems to me like a no brainer decision, but some still want to go with the 6 chamber gun.  That's their choice.
This...the anti vaxxers are hurting us all. Not only will it evolve past the vaccine, at some point we run a very serious risk of a variant being much more dangerous.  

This is one of those times that i wish we could fine people financially because we the crap hits the fan these are the people that should be paying for it.  

This...the anti vaxxers are hurting us all. Not only will it evolve past the vaccine, at some point we run a very serious risk of a variant being much more dangerous.  

This is one of those times that i wish we could fine people financially because we the crap hits the fan these are the people that should be paying for it.  
Trouble is the spikes just reinforce the odd thinking, and they claim the vaccines aren't working.  

Trouble is the spikes just reinforce the odd thinking, and they claim the vaccines aren't working.  
I understand how people that have no knowledge of such things are using confusing and flat out wrong arguments to muddy the waters

They should just be held responsible when things go wrong. 

Agreed.  I was in favor of mask mandates, shutdowns, and stuff like that last year because the situation obviously (IMO) warranted it.  So far, all the data that I've seen strongly argue in favor of letting vaccinated people do their thing.  If Delta or some other variant alters that, I'm willing to change course.  But I would need to see lots of really compelling data making that case, and those data simply don't appear to exist at all right now.
For me, the thing with mask mandates is it's really not that big an inconvenience.  Far too many people are acting like wearing a mask is some massive burden that completely ruins their lives.  My kids wear one for hours a day at school and I've never heard a single complaint.  It's really just not that big a deal.

For me, the thing with mask mandates is it's really not that big an inconvenience.  Far too many people are acting like wearing a mask is some massive burden that completely ruins their lives.  My kids wear one for hours a day at school and I've never heard a single complaint.  It's really just not that big a deal.
This is where I am, too. It all gets conflated together because politics, but I view masking as qualitatively different from things like shutdowns, quarantines, remote learning, etc. When I got vaccinated, I was far more willing to do activities that I hadn't previously done, like indoor dining or travel, and while I wasn't necessarily excited about going into the office, I no longer had any health concerns about it. But while I eased up a little on my masking, I felt no need to throw all my masks into a bonfire. I just didn't see it as that big a deal. 

Waiting for the Federal employee vaccine mandate to come out tomorrow.  It's already started plenty of discussions at work and I don't think this ends well. 

Hard to believe people support this. 

Seems like it's happening. President Biden on unvaccinated Federal Workers: "You're not nearly as smart as I thought you were".

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1420123174801453058?s=20

I get that he may think that. Doesn't seem like a great way to get people together. 

Seems like it's happening. President Biden on unvaccinated Federal Workers: "You're not nearly as smart as I thought you were".

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1420123174801453058?s=20

I get that he may think that. Doesn't seem like a great way to get people together. 
Such motivating words.  I believe if he had the skill to articulate his point better he could have made some progress.  Instead it will be stonewalled and the bureaucracy hours spent to figure this out will cost the taxpayers. 

I know you're not saying they're the same and I could be wrong but I think most people see mandatory mask wearing and mandatory vaccine as hugely different. 

I know you're not saying they're the same and I could be wrong but I think most people see mandatory mask wearing and mandatory vaccine as hugely different. 
Sure, totally different.  I just don't understand why so many people seem to think wearing a mask in a store is such a huge deal.  Those same people, best I can tell, have no problem wearing a shirt, pants, and shoes in the same store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread